GTA III was the last game in the series to have significant cover and logo variation

Anywhere USA

Anywhere USA

(Yes, there are minor cropping differences in the newer games. Digital re-releases technically often have different covers. And there’s the double pack Xbox version of VC. Not what I msan).

The Early GTA games had significant cover and logo variation.

The UK version of GTA 1 has trump tower and a yellow logo. The EU version is abstract and almost comic book esque, with a plain red and white GTA logo instead of grand theft auto. The US version has a yellow car and a silvery metallic logo. All of these have both big box and cd case variants.

GTA 2 has two main ones. The European covers are the GTA 1 UK covers, with a 2 slapped on the yellow logo. The US one is a car with a sniper aimed at it, and the logo is the abbreviation done in black white and red.

GTA 3 has 5. The UK version with all the characters on the car with the city in the bsckground. The US comic book style one. The French one which is of a car and a gun, but not the same car and gun as the UK one. And the German one, which is comic book style, but not the same comic book style as the US one. This one also has a logo in the style of the GTA 2 logo. Oh and the Xbox cover is ambient city skyline.

I find it funny how despite it being the original for all 3 of these games, only GTA 1’s UK logo and boxart  is considered ‘the default. We don’t consider the GTA 2 logo based on it or the reused cover the standard. We don’t consider the 3 cover with the guys and the car the standard(even though it would have been used in NA without 9/11).

Or the reverse, if you wanna be US-Defaultist then why do I so rarely see the US version of the logo and cover? It even looks different in-game, I played that version and saw the title screen, haven’t seen it on YouTube anywhere 

cant remember

It's good because I'm not a big fan of all the box variations. I would be peeved if I spend the money to buy the physical version of a game and the box art isn't even the one I consider to be the "real" one.

The GTA2 version that just has the GTA1 box art with a 2 added to it is a real crime by the way.

Anywhere USA

Hence I find it weird that for GTA 1 specifically everyone considers the UK art the 'real one', but not for GTA 2 and 3 where they go with the US art

And if you're going with the US art, this is  the GTA 1 cover

173452.jpeg

It could be because GTA 1 came out in Europe in November 1997 but didn't come out in the US until March 1998. Whereas GTA 2 came out in the US at around the same time as it did in Europe, and GTA III came out in the US a few days before it did in Europe. It might also be that there weren't as many copies of the US version produced, so it's not as well known. At least, whenever I've searched for big box copies of GTA online, US copies are far rarer and more expensive than European copies.

GTA1 has another cover variant that the Japanese PS1 version used. The Japanese PC release uses the European cover with an orange background.

In the case of GTA 2 the sniper cover was also used in Europe. My PAL PS1 copy has the sniper cover and my PAL Dreamcast copy has the GTA 1 style cover. My European PC copy has the sniper cover, and I believe that was the only PC cover used in Europe. There is also a third cover that was used in the US Dreamcast and Gameboy Color releases. It's a plain shiny red cover with the GTA 2 logo at the top (sniper cover logo rather than GTA 1 style logo). My NTSC Dreamcast and US GBC copies have this cover. I'm pretty sure the European GBC version uses the GTA 1 style cover.

GTA III's US cover might be used because it's in the style of most later covers, though that doesn't entirely explain it because as you noted the French/German cover is in the same style.

Edited by jm-9

cant remember

For some reason in Belgium, we always have the UK versions instead of the EU versions.

GTA3's "default" cover, my theory is that R* themselves have pushed to canonize the US one as the default, always using that cover on their site, in multipacks etc.

I've always liked the GTA2 logo, the one in white and red with the black border that looks like a pill (fitting for the game imo), and that early beta GTA3 logo that was in the same style. kind of wish that would've been the series logo instead. It was clean and simple.

Edited by Yinepi

On 6/12/2024 at 5:28 PM, jm-9 said:

It could be because GTA 1 came out in Europe in November 1997 but didn't come out in the US until March 1998. Whereas GTA 2 came out in the US at around the same time as it did in Europe, and GTA III came out in the US a few days before it did in Europe. It might also be that there weren't as many copies of the US version produced, so it's not as well known. At least, whenever I've searched for big box copies of GTA online, US copies are far rarer and more expensive than European copies.

GTA1 has another cover variant that the Japanese PS1 version used. The Japanese PC release uses the European cover with an orange background.

In the case of GTA 2 the sniper cover was also used in Europe. My PAL PS1 copy has the sniper cover and my PAL Dreamcast copy has the GTA 1 style cover. My European PC copy has the sniper cover, and I believe that was the only PC cover used in Europe. There is also a third cover that was used in the US Dreamcast and Gameboy Color releases. It's a plain shiny red cover with the GTA 2 logo at the top (sniper cover logo rather than GTA 1 style logo). My NTSC Dreamcast and US GBC copies have this cover. I'm pretty sure the European GBC version uses the GTA 1 style cover.

GTA III's US cover might be used because it's in the style of most later covers, though that doesn't entirely explain it because as you noted the French/German cover is in the same style.

From what I know the GTA 1 style 2 cover was used mostly for console releases in Europe, especially later on due to poor sales

Edited by Anywhere USA