Assassin's Creed Shadows

Punkd

One of Wisemen

Everything so far sounds too good to be true :kekw: I kinda like Yasuke ngl. Historically we don't know if he was a real samurai or not (though sources say he wasn't), but we have no idea about his backstory, so that's a blank page for wild AC interpretation. He could be a foreign agent sent into Japan for something.

spacer.png

Yea figured as much, good to confirm it before it got twisted.

Hopeful about this one then, my main concern is the whole mini battle passes and the number and variety of earnable cosmetics. Odyssey was fine in this area I thought, but Valhalla was poo.

Dbzk1999
7 hours ago, One of Wisemen said:

Everything so far sounds too good to be true :kekw: I kinda like Yasuke ngl. Historically we don't know if he was a real samurai or not (though sources say he wasn't), but we have no idea about his backstory, so that's a blank page for wild AC interpretation. He could be a foreign agent sent into Japan for something.

Sources more so lean towards the opposite 

Agent Edward

The amount of hate Yasuke is getting is so unfair, he reminds me of Charles from RDR2 for some reason.

The samurai is black and the ninja is a woman, so there's a bit of "I wanted both those things... just not like that" going on.

Remains to be seen of course, but I think the idea of one of the protagonists being an outsider could be good for the story. Different perspective and all that. We'll see.

• Like 1

44Orca
Posted (edited)

We'll see Portuguese too as they mentioned them, naval battles? Maybe Mongols invading at some point? I don't know the history just from what I remember seeing it's around that era,  it'd be nice to see some other open conflicts, not just within Japan. I so wanna see what the map will look like.

Having seasons will be great in a game set in Japan. They confirmed that too right?

Also there's a possibility for romance or are they a team? Looked more like a team. Since we had Aya and Bayek story I don't think this will be like that but we'll see.

Edited by 44Orca

2dQaqi9.png purple-diamond-gem.gif

Dbzk1999
40 minutes ago, 44Orca said:

We'll see Portuguese too as they mentioned them, naval battles? Maybe Mongols invading at some point? I don't know the history just from what I remember seeing it's around that era,  it'd be nice to see some other open conflicts, not just within Japan. I so wanna see what the map will look like.

Having seasons will be great in a game set in Japan. They confirmed that too right?

Also there's a possibility for romance or are they a team? Looked more like a team. Since we had Aya and Bayek story I don't think this will be like that but we'll see.

Portuguese is likely, Mongols, nah, there’s about a 300 year gap between the invasion of Japan by Mongols and when this game takes place during the Sengoku Period

1 hour ago, 44Orca said:

naval battles?

Doubt it, they've talked a little about the map, size it's about the size of Origin's map and has massive near 1:1 scale recreations of castles that serve as centrepiece dungeons for the game/story, so I'm guessing it's landlocked.

Wouldn't mind a return of naval combat in a future AC RPG though, both BF and Odyssey genuinely have fun naval combat, both the ship vs ship and the boarding.

neonwinch83

The game certainly looks interesting. It's not following the last few AC formulas that much, and ngl, that gives it just a bit more hope. I think some of the pricing is absurd, but Ubisoft in general is like this. Hopefully they don't disappoint, we've been needing a really good AC game for a while.

Adam Jensen

What looks interesting about it? The CGI trailer or the $130 Ultimate Edition that offers nothing of value?

Seriously, if you want to buy this, judging by every previous game Ubisoft has released, just get the standard edition. By the time you're done with the game, you will know if the extra content is something you're interested in, and it will likely be heavily discounted if you are. And there's more than a decent chance that you won't be.

Buying anything other than a standard edition Ubi game is just a bad idea yea. I've bought other games ult editions or versions w/ early access before, but the price of Ubi's editions are just bonkers and not worth it.

Often the case with AC DLC as well is that they're much lower in quality than the main game and maybe only one or two are worth actually playing.

44Orca

I wait for the steam release but that's years away. Made the mistake last time thinking they won't come back to steam but they did.. I don't like having games all over the place, I want them to be just on steam. Besides is more worth it when price is way less.

2dQaqi9.png purple-diamond-gem.gif

Yea Ubi's pick and choosey support of Steam is sh*t. I'm not someone who is massively picky on platforms, I prefer Steam but have bought on Origin and Ubisoft's store in the past and will likely do so again here for AC:S if I pick it up. They used to do good pre-orders discounts w/ Ubicoins or whatever they're called but I dunno if that's still a thing.

The only store I specifically avoid now is EGS, I've given it an honest go but the client is absolutely dogsh*t, and all the broken promises and claims Sweeney made that never came true, and in some cases the opposite happened (to our detriment) has basically made me go yea nah no thanks Tim.

Although both Ubisoft Connect and EGL are sh*te launchers, I'll end up buying the subscription service on Ubi's launcher and certainly won't be purchasing the overpriced editions. As for me, it's all just fluff.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking promising.

RWgq97N.png

This bit in particular looks really nice, the density of the trees, the slicing and dicing of all the bamboo. They really seem to have done a good job making the two characters really distinct from each other in terms of feel and play. It looks like it'll be the first AC game in a while with a lot of new animations in general, I think, but it's hard to say for sure, that they've even finally added a new horse riding animation lol.

Traversal and combat does look more impressive, and it looks like it'll feature it's own version of "ghost mode." lol??? I was wondering where I'd recently seen that effect. Do need to see a bit more at tomorrow's event.

Yeah, I think they've 100% changed the riding animations on the horse. This is meant to be on an upgraded version of the Anvil engine, I think?

Yea they did, for both Odyssey, Valhalla and maybe even Origins the gallop was this weird one handed animation lol. Finally changed it.

Also holy sh*t combat looks hilarious as Yasuke, he towers over everyone, and I do love some environment destruction in any game.

Shame the bittrate on this stream has been sh*t all throughout, so much visual detail is being lost in this stream.

edit: will say that Naoe's voice acting in that footage was not particularly convincing by any means. Felt a bit wooden. Her gameplay looks good though, multiple new stealth options just in that footage alone.

Yeah, the bit rate was sh*te. There's the 4k version anyways:

Edit: I like that you can go all "lights out" like in Splinter Cell and even go prone when hiding in cover. There's a bit of both for everyone as well, tbh. Yasuke's gameplay looks so brutal, very Ghost of Tsushima-inspired combat, it seems. Not that it's a bad thing, ofc.

Edited by lndex

Again it's like Outlaws, you can see the Ubisoft in there, especially the environment, how the NPC's move and behave and all that, and all the classic AC RPG stuff in there like the way ability wheel and all that. But new stealth mechanics, new melee systems, environmental destruction, new weapon types, I liked that all. Noticed a distinct lack of bows too, wonder if that's an option? I saw the gameplay deep dive that's on the channel they said you can equip two weapons so maybe a bow is part of that, I wouldn't be upset if they removed bows though. There's no Eagle in this one either to use to scan environments either, which I actually like. It's a bit boring doing that in the other games to say the least.

But yea again not expecting 9/10+ greatness like Outlaws, but like Outlaws it just looks like some comfy fun.

And I've really come around to the idea of two protagonists because of how distinct they are from each other too.

Edit: some Youtubers have footage of the same demo but played in different ways. Yasuke can't climb for sh*t by the sounds of it, but can use the grappling hook, which looks fun lol.

The problem with Ubisoft gameplay videos is that they are always so heavily scripted that you'd be better off not watching them than using them to set your expectations.

Eh, I think there's a handful of people who've had hands-on experience with the game and had the same experience as what we've just watched on that gameplay. But I'd much rather see someone playing, yeah, but in most cases, I think they're following along script as they wouldn't want to break something in the demo, something you'd want to avoid in a presentation lol.

Gameplay demos of ANY game are typically a person playing following a script to showcase various systems and mechanics, yes... but the systems in this demo where clearly all present and functional and not bullshots.

Will most players play the game by slow walking through towns, or skipping half a castle while assassinating someone? No, most will run through towns and clear out outposts and castles to completion. But the mechanics they showed, the melee, the stealth are all gonna look like that in the game, it's out in a few months, not two years. There's other footage out as well of different ways to play parts of that demo, showing different routes, Yasuke vs Naoe etc. There's a decent amount of footage out there now to make a realistic opinion on what the game looks and plays like and if it'll be fun for you.

At the end of the day it's also an AC RPG game and if you've played any of them you'll have a very solid idea of what it'll play like at it's core. It's not like some brand new IP where we have no idea if it'll actually play like that - cough Division cough.

Don't get me wrong I won't be pre-ordering today or anything, more footage will be out by the time I buy the game if I want to, but yea, footage months from release is rarely bullshotty in any game. It's footage years from release that's sus, which is one of the reasons I'm giving that Perfect Dark footage a big dose of sideye for now.

edit: screens

screenshots-from-apples-event-ac-shadows

That foliage is really nice, wonder if the Avatar tech helped w/ that, though Avatar was only last year, but it's super dense.

Also the verticality of it looks unlike anything we've seen in an AC RPG and maybe any AC yet, looks like a lot of steep hills and cliffs.

Also, forget what I said about bows, we got guns lmao:

oof, seeing that stretch of water in that second shot makes me want naval combat. Heck, I'd kind of want a return of Odyssey's conquest battles. That'll be something that fits right in with feudal Japan.

Also, there's the map, similar in size to AC Origins with nine total regions, spoilered, ofc:

Spoiler

gmxx6l2lat5d1.jpeg

I didn't really have a problem with Yasuke as one of the protagonists, but after seeing that gameplay trailer I'm torn. People just reacted to him like a 7 foot black samurai is a regular occurrence. It throws me off. A smarter way of dealing with his character would be to implement some kind of reputation system in which the NPCs can change their attitude toward you and react differently to you based on your reputation in the region. And the reputation could also be tied to opportunities for tackling missions in different ways. If the citizens like you and trust you they could provide you with useful information or resources that might be expensive or difficult to acquire otherwise.