Kingdom Come Deliverance II

GhettoJesus

GhettoJesus

Kingdom Come Deliverance II is scheduled to release this year. The reveal video sheds light on some of the new content, but here are a few key points:

• The game continues Henry's adventures, Capon is also in the game
  • The game was made in mind with newcomers, so apparently they can just start with this game without having to play the first one (I don't know how they will do that)
  • The game now features Kuttenberg, the silver mining town that is often mentioned in the first game, but is never seen. It's a huge, proper medieval city, far bigger than Rattay from the first game.
  • That means we are getting a new countryside, seems like it will have plenty of forests and rocky formations
  • Map is two times bigger than in the first game
  • There're more cutscenes
  • New weapons (including crossbows and guns from the era)
  • NPCs will now comment on Henry's appearance and behavior and Henry can respond.
  • New music

I know there is a KCD thread already but it was super old, so I didn't feel like bumping. Feel free to merge with it if you deem that to be better.

Edited by GhettoJesus

K2yjoYK.png

Archangelsky

I have not played the first game, I get a little bit put off by the movements.

Its often on sale on steam though and usually very cheap so I might give it a go.

I will for sure follow this one closely, however being a single-player game I will most likely read reviews and see how the launch goes and if there are any huge problems with the game before I decide if I will purchase it or not.

The game looks very interesting however I must say that.

• Like 2

UT1-Dot

First game, while amazing and bleak in ways rarely achieved by video games somehow got away from me and I stopped playing after maybe 5 hours.

I will go back and try and rekindle my interest as this should be incredible.

• Like 1

Mister Pink

I just bought the first game for €3.99 on Xbox. Years ago. I originally played the first hour or two on Game Pass and gave up. I love the idea of it, the concept. And now I want to give it another go. 

Been watching a few vids from those that were initially put off but then pushed through and found it very rewarding. Can't say I'll definitely commit to this as I just started Fallout 3 again but I do want to give it a solid chance. 

Margot Robbed Me

I stopped playing the first one after about an hour or two as well. 😂

I barely remember it, but I think clunky would describe the experience in one word.

• Realistic Steak! 1

KCD1 had a fair (a lot) amount of jank going on. It's another game I couldn't quite get into either, to be honest. This does seem like they had the time and extra resources, so we'll see, I guess.

Margot Robbed Me

The first Kingdom Come game, to me, was one of those games I call a filler game.

A game I use to fill the time, between some actual big releases I was looking forward to, and you only know about it because it pops up occasionally in discussions or discount sites. Eventually it ends up in your library and you play it with less enthusiasm than an actual game you're looking forward to. I've played some good filler games that ended up making the series something that I actually looked forward to. Like XCOM, or Dragon's Dogma 1.

I can give up on filler games pretty quickly because of that lack of interest, or because another filler game catches my attention.

• Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1

GhettoJesus
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Margot Robbed Me said:

I barely remember it, but I think clunky would describe the experience in one word.

Eurojank. I think it's good for those who can get into it, but I won't deny that it's an acquired taste and the realism can be a turn off for some. It's a great game regardless, but when I read about it I was sold on the concept and on the setting so I had something that kept me going, despite the initial difficulties with combat. My main criticism would be the bugs, they can be very frustrating at times. Apparently they will polish most of them in the second game, so here's hoping. The combat itself was fine, I quite enjoyed it. I heard that they will tweak it a bit, like giving less attack angles for maces and axes. We will see how that's gonna work out and what other tweaks we will see.

Edited by GhettoJesus

K2yjoYK.png

smokeless6

I have a better opinion of the first KCD than some others here. I thought it was excellent, and finished it (took 130 hours). For me the melee system is still my favorite sword fighting system in any game. And the synergy between the player learning and Henry's rise was so well done. You get better by actually practicing, learning new moves. It's not a matter of getting the double damage perk. How the game progressed Henry from meek blacksmith's son to champion swordsman in the land was really nicely done.

Beyond that, the landscape and terrain was superb, the way little villages emerge out of the hills and swales as you ride around the map. There is a distinct effort at authenticity throughout the game -- how the towns are laid out for example, or inspect the porticullis to see the detail. The blacksmith's hammer ringing out a cadence, the smoke rising in the distance. I would have expected a little more of Monty Python's 'bring out your dead' scene if I'm honest (the towns are a little too sanitary) but otherwise they get good marks for the authentic vibe they clearly were aiming for.

Before RDR2 came along I would have also given KCD top marks for its horse approach, the animations, care and mechanics. RDR 2 topped it for me, but still a plus in KCD.

My main gripe was how archery was handled. Love bows in any game, and used it a lot in this one, but wasn't happy with how the bow shooting was done. Minor point.

Overall, one of my top games from the late 20-teens.

Edited by smokeless6
  • Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1

This is one of those franchises where I have genuine respect for the devs, because they could easily change a few things, say add a character creator, maybe some fantasy elements, and make a solid game there that'll have more mainstream appeal but nope, they're doing what they want to do.

GhettoJesus
58 minutes ago, smokeless6 said:

My main gripe was how archery was handled. Love bows in any game, and used it a lot in this one, but wasn't happy with how the bow shooting was done. Minor point.

Even on higher levels it can be a pain. Honestly, I just ended up enabling the cursor for it because I found it super hard to aim otherwise. At least the cursor gives you a point of reference.

59 minutes ago, smokeless6 said:

Beyond that, the landscape and terrain as superb,

What I love about it is the authenticity. Like the monastery still exists in real life and the church that's under construction looks exactly the same in real life. And you can kinda see the street layouts in Kingdom Come on the maps of these real life towns. Obviously there has been changes over the centuries, but in some places they kinda mirror the game.

K2yjoYK.png

smokeless6

It's been a few years, but I recall using a particular pair of gloves/gauntlets that I used as an aiming stake lol. I could shoot fine (after some acclimation) but it still didn't feel right. The hunting was actually pretty good in this game too.

• Like 3

The Time Ranger

I remember buying this game but didn't get very far, it was too hardcore for me, not my thing. Saying that I still liked it, the devs had a vision and stuck with it and I respect that. I watched an in depth analysis of it a while back and there are features there I would love to see implemented into other games. From the indepth combat with it's angles to the timer during conversations which makes it feel like a realer conversation, there's plenty of good there, even the menu which would give you some historical facts was a nice touch. I'm glad its getting a sequel. 

• Like 3

GhettoJesus
7 minutes ago, The Time Ranger said:

even the menu which would give you some historical facts was a nice touch.

I absolutely loved that and I wish more games would do that. It feels like it's one of the less talked about features despite the detail that went into it. The entirety of the codex is actually readable online here for anyone interested: https://kingdomcomecodex.github.io/

• Like 1

K2yjoYK.png