Jump to content

Reddit: What is/was your experience?


Tim The Tool Bag Taylor

Recommended Posts

Tim The Tool Bag Taylor

Greetings! I have seen Reddit and its subs go through a bunch of changes for better or worse. I know the platform gets a lot of scrutiny here and other gaming related forums, especially GTA related subs. However, for the active users on there: what is it like for you?

 

I used to be a very active user from 2017 up until February 2024. A mix of being harassed by a newer mod on a military themed sub and the overall redditor attitudes the few months prior led me to close my account and I had not looked back or regretted it since.

Edited by Tim The Tool Bag Taylor
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MagicMike51

I was banned from Reddit GTA because a moderator didn't like a comment i made. Oh well ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not had a good experience tbh, all subs with over a thousand users end up being echo-chambers with power-tripping mods.

 

You can try Lemmy. It isn't as bad as Reddit (yet), but that's mostly because it has barely any users.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Time Ranger

I have an account currently, never posted with it though, I just use it to keep track of subs that interest me, my only interactions there are the occasional up vote. Overall I like it, there's a section for every interest no matter how niche. I used to post on a now deleted account but didn't get much out of it, with popular threads if you don't get there in time it's like shouting into the void, I prefer a traditional forum layout but obviously with a platform so huge thats not viable and the decending text does it's job. Perhaps smaller subs have a better sense of community.

 

I do take issue with the downvoting, not so much that it's there but how people use it. If someone is blatantly trolling or being a dick it's good as they get hidden and get much less attention compared to a traditional forum. However there is a lot of senseless downvoting, going against the majority opinion does it, what really gets me though is when a thread is started, a thread that is innocent and a genuine attempt to start a discussion or ask a question, and it's downvoted for no reason, which buries it. I just don't get why. You're at the mercy of some assholes who downvote everything just because, I think it's discouraging for the genuine poster trying to communicate. When I see these posts being downvoted for no good reason I upvote but it doesnt really do much, once it's down the hivemind keeps it there. 

 

Overall though it's good for me, I have my subs, last night I had a laugh looking at Fallout memes and read some cool Elder Scrolls discussions. Then I found a thread on Zombie survival where people post their survival equipment and talk tactics, it was fun. I try and stay away from the popular tab though, It's become like Facebook back in it's heyday, you're just reading about horrible things, both news and peoples misfortune, Id imagine the algorithm pushes the sad and angry content to the front for engagement, and I did get sucked in there doomscrolling but I dont now, I use the app, not let it use me, I can't let f*cking reddit affect my mood.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Caffeination

As a general rule for all new and old Reddit users, never EVER use that site as anything other than a hobby platform, and only hang out in the specific subreddits dedicated to your interests, or else you’ll suffer an aneurysm.

 

Reddit, by design, is an excellent resource pool. You will usually find the best tips and advices on any given subreddit, as long as serious discussion is encouraged. With that said, other than intricate knowledge about nerdy sh*t, it’s a horrible place for anything other than hobbies. The platform is a victim of groupthink, fall in line with the redditor mentality or they’ll barrage you with a torrent of downvotes and negative remarks. The platform is also populated with incredibly misinformed and ignorant people, as well as a huge bot problem that exist to spread agendas and propagandas. Redditors also form the habit of eating up misinformation to the point of spreading it some more.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox

Really depends on which subs you join really, Some are extremely toxic, some are extremely funny for the stupidity being posted/fought about and some are extremely helpful.

 

None of us can really tell you which subs to join and not join you'll just have to just browse around as well as join communities of hobbies, but beware some subs have post requirements before you can post in them but other than that there are some subs where I've gotten help when I couldn't find the answer anywhere else so that's the best advice you can get when it comes to using Reddit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tim The Tool Bag Taylor
On 4/15/2024 at 11:29 PM, ṼirulenⱦEqừinox said:

Really depends on which subs you join really, Some are extremely toxic, some are extremely funny for the stupidity being posted/fought about and some are extremely helpful.

 

None of us can really tell you which subs to join and not join you'll just have to just browse around as well as join communities of hobbies, but beware some subs have post requirements before you can post in them but other than that there are some subs where I've gotten help when I couldn't find the answer anywhere else so that's the best advice you can get when it comes to using Reddit.

Some that you also join become toxic overtime with the change over of mods and all sorts of users.

 

The military themed sub was my home for years, but I noticed some of the frequent users become aggressive over simple questions and answers.

On 4/15/2024 at 12:42 PM, XNOR said:

Not had a good experience tbh, all subs with over a thousand users end up being echo-chambers with power-tripping mods.

 

You can try Lemmy. It isn't as bad as Reddit (yet), but that's mostly because it has barely any users.

Yeah, even a colleague of mine used reddit and shared the same sentiment.

 

From a country subreddit, I got told to "get out of our country" and banned because I had posted about expats and how to manage taxes as one.

 

Another shadowbanned me because I had posted a screenshot with Samsung's "Rosemary" font. The comments and DM's I received were pretty brutal, but the sub mods nor Reddit did anything about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LongHairedFreakyGuy
On 4/15/2024 at 1:06 PM, The Time Ranger said:

I have an account currently, never posted with it though, I just use it to keep track of subs that interest me, my only interactions there are the occasional up vote. Overall I like it, there's a section for every interest no matter how niche. I used to post on a now deleted account but didn't get much out of it, with popular threads if you don't get there in time it's like shouting into the void, I prefer a traditional forum layout but obviously with a platform so huge thats not viable and the decending text does it's job. Perhaps smaller subs have a better sense of community.

 

I do take issue with the downvoting, not so much that it's there but how people use it. If someone is blatantly trolling or being a dick it's good as they get hidden and get much less attention compared to a traditional forum. However there is a lot of senseless downvoting, going against the majority opinion does it, what really gets me though is when a thread is started, a thread that is innocent and a genuine attempt to start a discussion or ask a question, and it's downvoted for no reason, which buries it. I just don't get why. You're at the mercy of some assholes who downvote everything just because, I think it's discouraging for the genuine poster trying to communicate. When I see these posts being downvoted for no good reason I upvote but it doesnt really do much, once it's down the hivemind keeps it there. 

 

Overall though it's good for me, I have my subs, last night I had a laugh looking at Fallout memes and read some cool Elder Scrolls discussions. Then I found a thread on Zombie survival where people post their survival equipment and talk tactics, it was fun. I try and stay away from the popular tab though, It's become like Facebook back in it's heyday, you're just reading about horrible things, both news and peoples misfortune, Id imagine the algorithm pushes the sad and angry content to the front for engagement, and I did get sucked in there doomscrolling but I dont now, I use the app, not let it use me, I can't let f*cking reddit affect my mood.

 

As with everything though, the voting system, in principle, is brilliant, but can often be abused to push agendas, or for simple nonsensical reasons. I find it tends to be all dependent on what subreddit you venture in to. Off the top of my head, the PS3 subreddit can be terrible at times for hounding on a user, for absolutely no reason at all. I tend to just reverse the votes and move on. I only tend to browse Reddit, so I don't let it affect me in any way whatsoever. Unlike other social platforms, you tend to know which way the bias or propaganda is going to lean towards.

 

On 4/15/2024 at 1:50 PM, Caffeination said:

As a general rule for all new and old Reddit users, never EVER use that site as anything other than a hobby platform, and only hang out in the specific subreddits dedicated to your interests, or else you’ll suffer an aneurysm.

 

Reddit, by design, is an excellent resource pool. You will usually find the best tips and advices on any given subreddit, as long as serious discussion is encouraged. With that said, other than intricate knowledge about nerdy sh*t, it’s a horrible place for anything other than hobbies. The platform is a victim of groupthink, fall in line with the redditor mentality or they’ll barrage you with a torrent of downvotes and negative remarks. The platform is also populated with incredibly misinformed and ignorant people, as well as a huge bot problem that exist to spread agendas and propagandas. Redditors also form the habit of eating up misinformation to the point of spreading it some more.

 

Out of the all the current big social platforms, I actually prefer Reddit. I quit Facebook years ago, and X is becoming (/has become) an absolute cess pool, from the absolute hate that's constantly posted on there, the abuse on every post, or the absolute horde of bots that have plagued the platform. The introduction of payments for blue tick accounts was the death of the platform.

KilnerLUFC.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we're talking as a community experience it's a real, real mess. There are good subreddits that are moderated well but there are so many that aren't. On top of that, discussion on reddit is probably more difficult to do than any other modern social platform (including old fashioned forums). Threads disappear very quickly and the way the comments/posts makes it so any in depth discussion between individuals becomes a deeper and deeper rabbit hole that won't attract new people to the conversation, so it creates a lot of dead end comment chains.

 

As a resource however, reddit is still quite possibly the most important website in this part of the world. It is the primary source for an absolute sh*t ton of content that gets "stolen" and reposted by the countless low-effort entertainment pages across other social media (Facebook, Twitter, Insta, TikTok, etc etc), and we also see traditional news use the site and the big subreddits in particular to generate articles too - particularly obvious if you ever visit the sport subreddits, which these days have a genuinely huge influence on modern sport reporting, like football (soccer) and F1. It also remains a very handy place simply to get news.

 

On top of that as Caffeination touched on, reddit has pretty much become the #1 resource in the world for troubleshooting problems, especially for tech but certainly not limited to - DIY, transport, repairs for anything, legal advice, fashion, etc etc. If you have a problem or a question, put it in Google and put "reddit" at the start or end of the search query and you'll very likely run into a thread with helpful information, posted by real people. It's probably partly for this reason that reddit wants to sell access to it's data for AI training, because it's an absolute gold mine of knowledge.

 

Like any major social media platform it's got a lot of issues, but it's probably the one major social website that the internet would be f*cked without, just because of how much genuinely useful knowledge and information is on there.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ddarko12

It varies from sub to sub, but in general I find Reddit to be too much of a circlejerk and a hug box, filled with people who will concoct up wild stories about you and how your life must be going for you, just because you made a comment they disagreed with. A lot of projecting too. I've had people dig through all of my posts just because I responded to them. That has happened here with a few odd characters who no longer seem to be active. I have a long history with GTAForums, but what I do love is that we can get into an argument and debate and share wild opinions, and not get silenced or banned unless some really offensive and rule-breaking sh*t is said...

 

On Reddit, that doesn't fly. You will be downvoted and essentially hidden if you say anything that doesn't flow with the circlejerk. It's a weird phenomenon where it's not even what you're saying is unpopular or wrong. Just if it doesn't flow with the particular thread and circlejerk, people will downvote you and so many people respond to kneejerk reactions to where if your comment is 0 or -1, it is f*cked and more people will downvote you just because. And, if a Reddit moderator doesn't like what you said, ban. Not joking. I got banned from r/itcareerquestions, permanently, simply because I said an OP was gatekeeping. Mind you, this was a thread where some bitter IT worker was whining about people changing careers and trying to get into IT, whining about anything you can think of and saying dumb sh*t like "you have to earn your keep to eat at the dinner table" and so I just said "this post is coming across as gatekeeping" with an explanation as to why. Banned. Asked the mods, it boiled down to them not agreeing and saying that me being sorry didn't "absolve" me from what I "did" as if I had killed someone.

 

Worse, if you happen to post in certain subs, even if it is to express disagreement to a comment in a thread that made it to r/all but happens to be in a controversial sub... a whole flurry of subs will autoban you. The excuse is to prevent "brigading" and spam. Yeah, so I can't post in r/memes or r/thathappened, etc because I wanted to post in a sub about coronavirus disagreeing with someone who tried to say the lockdowns were bad. Okay. A lot of subs are in their own little world too, and freak out any time someone new comes in and doesn't automatically know everything along with the "lore" of the subreddit. These subs are always hostile to asking simple questions, and it is a bitch to make new threads because they always run sorry ass automoderator software that just assumes most new topics are spam and thus deletes or hides them. Irritating as hell.

 

It's a weird place. Sure, the internet is and so are people and opinions in general. But people value their opinions too much, freak out if anyone disagrees... and I just get a feeling that people really feel like they're making bold statements on that site just because they get upvotes when really all they're doing is talking and it means nothing. It gives me a headache and I've pretty much reduced engagement to browsing these days.

Edited by ddarko12
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
On 4/17/2024 at 3:12 PM, Teal said:

Some that you also join become toxic overtime with the change over of mods and all sorts of users.

 

The military themed sub was my home for years, but I noticed some of the frequent users become aggressive over simple questions and answers.

Yeah, even a colleague of mine used reddit and shared the same sentiment.

 

From a country subreddit, I got told to "get out of our country" and banned because I had posted about expats and how to manage taxes as one.

 

Another shadowbanned me because I had posted a screenshot with Samsung's "Rosemary" font. The comments and DM's I received were pretty brutal, but the sub mods nor Reddit did anything about it.

That's sure, I've unsubed from some of them for various reasons, I'm in my state medical marijuana sub and the amount of condescending, arrogant and downright rude comments I've seen from "enthusiast" to people who are just starting to use MMJ and don't have vast knowledge, like myself I've been using MMJ for a few years now but I don't have much knowledge so I asked a question about where I could buy a certain item and instead of help I got mocked, told I wasn't a true "Stoner" even though it's a sub for the medical use, but luckily the vast majority of the subs I'm in are decent and helpful enough but then again I don't spend a whole lot of time on Reddit just go on when I'm really bored or looking for the answer to something.

 

To me, the good outweighs the bad but it could be the way I use Reddit, I don't use it as a mean for interacting with people, I use it more or less for troubleshooting and like Jason said it's probably the best place for get help especially with hard to diagnose issues and there's several times a user or two have saved me money by giving me a way to fix issues without needing to call in a pro.

Edited by ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Time Ranger
On 4/20/2024 at 10:32 PM, ddarko12 said:

It varies from sub to sub, but in general I find Reddit to be too much of a circlejerk and a hug box, filled with people who will concoct up wild stories about you and how your life must be going for you, just because you made a comment they disagreed with. A lot of projecting too. I've had people dig through all of my posts just because I responded to them. That has happened here with a few odd characters who no longer seem to be active. I have a long history with GTAForums, but what I do love is that we can get into an argument and debate and share wild opinions, and not get silenced or banned unless some really offensive and rule-breaking sh*t is said...

 

The projection and wild stories are definitely things I have noticed on reddit. Very prominent in r/roastme. Which is a sh*thole anyway, but from what I've seen if an attractive woman posts her picture there, the amount of weirdos who make up these crazy usually always sexual paragraph long posts about her, they have almost zero information on her but it's all about sex, how she's a whore, used up, etc. Really nasty sh*t that just reveals their own issues really, followed by replies about how he "owned her," or "triggered her." And if anyone calls them out they are a simp or white knight. Now imo it's dumb to post there in the first place but the roastee posts there expecting a bit of fun, not that crap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh there's a lot of making stuff up on reddit, lol. I don't sub to them but I see them pop up on r/all, but posts from subs like the relationshipadvice, AITA etc etc. So, so many fantasies people make up looking for internet points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Time Ranger
7 minutes ago, Jason said:

Oh there's a lot of making stuff up on reddit, lol. I don't sub to them but I see them pop up on r/all, but posts from subs like the relationshipadvice, AITA etc etc. So, so many fantasies people make up looking for internet points.

I think if they made karma points hidden on posts and only viewable to the user who made the post, and only they could see their karma on their profile, it might help curb the attention seekers and karma farmers. Apparently people sell accounts with high karma now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, The Time Ranger said:

I think if they made karma points hidden on posts and only viewable to the user who made the post, and only they could see their karma on their profile, it might help curb the attention seekers and karma farmers.

 

I believe there's an opt-in option for subreddits to do this, but most have it turned off.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thejeffster

I've been on Reddit for eight years officially on April 1st with the creation of my account. Crazy how much it's really grown since then, it was mainstream by 2016, but I feel like it really blew up post-pandemic the most. I feel. Although with more people on there has maybe been for the better or worse depending on who you ask about it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ddarko12
8 hours ago, The Time Ranger said:

The projection and wild stories are definitely things I have noticed on reddit. Very prominent in r/roastme. Which is a sh*thole anyway, but from what I've seen if an attractive woman posts her picture there, the amount of weirdos who make up these crazy usually always sexual paragraph long posts about her, they have almost zero information on her but it's all about sex, how she's a whore, used up, etc. Really nasty sh*t that just reveals their own issues really, followed by replies about how he "owned her," or "triggered her." And if anyone calls them out they are a simp or white knight. Now imo it's dumb to post there in the first place but the roastee posts there expecting a bit of fun, not that crap. 

The whole idea behind that sub is lost. When I think of roasting, I think of banter. Stuff that is witty and not really meant to be taken personal, but takes a dig at some obvious flaws/behaviors. r/roastme is just full of people self-harming themselves (most of the OPs) and losers who want any excuse to put someone down. If it's a woman, she's either ugly or a whore or has no personality. If it's a man, he's creepy or a predator or has no worth and is too bald/fat, etc. Both situations kind of have the tendency to boil down to incel-speak as well. The roasts are always hitting way below the belt, are just plain mean and not funny, or weird. I don't get why anyone still posts in there. I wish it was funny. I'd rather read sh*t like "You need to be thinking about what you gonna do for money because your looks not gonna get you paid. 'Cause you're not that cute! Your hairs uneven! You look dusty!” not "You've failed in life, you're the guy we tell kids not to talk to, and nobody wants you and you must be a loser with a porn addiction" like how is that even funny? 🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LongHairedFreakyGuy
20 hours ago, ddarko12 said:

The whole idea behind that sub is lost. When I think of roasting, I think of banter. Stuff that is witty and not really meant to be taken personal, but takes a dig at some obvious flaws/behaviors. r/roastme is just full of people self-harming themselves (most of the OPs) and losers who want any excuse to put someone down. If it's a woman, she's either ugly or a whore or has no personality. If it's a man, he's creepy or a predator or has no worth and is too bald/fat, etc. Both situations kind of have the tendency to boil down to incel-speak as well. The roasts are always hitting way below the belt, are just plain mean and not funny, or weird. I don't get why anyone still posts in there. I wish it was funny. I'd rather read sh*t like "You need to be thinking about what you gonna do for money because your looks not gonna get you paid. 'Cause you're not that cute! Your hairs uneven! You look dusty!” not "You've failed in life, you're the guy we tell kids not to talk to, and nobody wants you and you must be a loser with a porn addiction" like how is that even funny? 🤷‍♂️

 

That was a sub that kept popping up in my suggested subs section when I first properly started using Reddit. Took me about 3 ventures in to that sub to see it was all just the same regurgitated sh*t on every post. Not funny in the slightest.

KilnerLUFC.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Tim The Tool Bag Taylor
On 4/23/2024 at 8:47 PM, Thejeffster said:

I've been on Reddit for eight years officially on April 1st with the creation of my account. Crazy how much it's really grown since then, it was mainstream by 2016, but I feel like it really blew up post-pandemic the most. I feel. Although with more people on there has maybe been for the better or worse depending on who you ask about it. 

 

Yeah, post pandemic was when it had a lot of activity. The military sub I was in had shared a bunch of rules made by their units and what the users were doing during quarantine. 

 

I would declare that was the time I was fully invested in Reddit and I started to browse communties around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darth Absentis

I actually did found some nuggets of gold on certain subjects trough reddit pages.

whether the subject is: War in Ukraine, alcoholic beverages, star wars, real crime......unlike as with social media like Twitter and facebook, there is still a situation where people with actual knowledge did not just give up and go somewhere else and the overall setting makes it so that people often actually mention sources.

 

Bluntly speaking, most redactions of news outlets often do a worse job on subjects then certain subreddits on their specific topic. Something i do find disturbing to realize.

 

Sure there are plenty of toxic people and subreddits, but those are often called out for being such by other people and subreddits.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

KODRB

I love reddit. Been using it for years and doubt I'll stop anytime soon. Its a good general forum site for some smaller fandoms. Yeah there's toxic people and subs everywhere but that's with every social media site and Reddit seems to do a better job at moderating them without going full "you can post what we say you can" unlike Meta sites. And for the most part, if a sub is ran by hypocritical mods its easy to see and quickly enough subs will just go to another sub or make a new one for that fandom sans those mods. Its not great for some stuff, like new DLC's for online and breaking them down, none of the GTA subs do a good job at collecting and structuring the info like we do here, but for other games that's not always the case.

 

Plus reddit isn't just for games, I sub to a lot of car stuff there and see a lot of discussions that just wouldn't be happening on major car blogs/journal sites because they moderate those comment sections too harshly. Plus all the discussions about the blogs, sites, mags themselves are also pretty enlightening, and not just in regards to the car world, as in like all journalism and news. Those aren't discussions that could happen many other places I hate to say it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ddarko12
Posted (edited)

Literally just got banned from a subreddit for responding with "I am... disgusted" to a downvoted comment sexualizing the OP in a very weird way. Every day I wonder why I still have an account with that stupid ass site.

 

Edit: they unbanned me after I messaged how stupid and random the reason was. Sadly leaves me still unfollowing and avoiding the community. I shouldn't always have to explain myself due to a mod's f*ckup. And what happened to temporary bans? If it was a 1 or 2 week ban I wouldn't have even said sh*t even if the ban was wrong. The internet is so draconian these days.

Edited by ddarko12
  • KEKW 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ṼirulenⱦEqừinox
On 5/7/2024 at 11:27 PM, ddarko12 said:

Literally just got banned from a subreddit for responding with "I am... disgusted" to a downvoted comment sexualizing the OP in a very weird way. Every day I wonder why I still have an account with that stupid ass site.

 

Edit: they unbanned me after I messaged how stupid and random the reason was. Sadly leaves me still unfollowing and avoiding the community. I shouldn't always have to explain myself due to a mod's f*ckup. And what happened to temporary bans? If it was a 1 or 2 week ban I wouldn't have even said sh*t even if the ban was wrong. The internet is so draconian these days.

I was once banned from a sub for breaking a rule that wasn't even a rule, I messaged a mod to ask why and they had no idea apparently the mod who banned me had his own set of rules only known to him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I find myself browsing some /truecrime related stuff every now and then on Reddit..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MindCorrupt

Honestly it's cleaned up it's act a fair bit from years ago. I'm genuinely surprised some of the subreddits there lasted as long as they did. 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
ddarko12

Another issue I have with Reddit is I feel like people really live for downvoting others. It's like a "I don't like what you said, take that! Your opinion is wrong" it's just so damn stupid. Don't know how they can fix it, because the few subs that got rid of downvotes have no way of hiding actual dumb posts/comments then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I made a comment on a game subreddit not too long ago with my thoughts on how an aspect of the game had lost it's place a bit and it might need changing or merging with something else, and got a sarcastic one liner response back that twisted my words to say something I literally didn't. I got the downvotes, they got the upvotes, and even when I clarified my post and corrected the person they never responded. But that's reddit for you, people don't stick around for a conversation, they'll take things as they see it, upvote or downvote based on that, and never revisit it.

 

Generally speaking it's a lot of putting your opinion out there and sometimes it's the one that rises to the top, sometimes it's not. I've had completely random comments get 100+ or in one case 2000+ upvotes but a detailed post in a similarly popular thread get nada.

 

There's probably some very niche subreddits where actual discussion takes place but the comment chain system makes it difficult in bigger subreddits/posts cause stuff gets hidden and people don't want to break up their scrolling by clicking the full comment chain and loading up a new page. Why it still works like that IDK.

 

Also at this point I think a lot of the big subreddits, ESPECIALLY anything political, is packed with bots and astroturfing. It's pretty f*cking obvious in some cases, hell, every now and then I see the AI break and post very similar comments with identical patterns in large numbers.

  • Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LongHairedFreakyGuy
Posted (edited)

I frequent the subreddits focused on the current Ukraine situation, and it's very noticeable there how many bots there are on the site. Seems they aim for the popular subjects, as it was the China subreddits a few years back that I noticed all the bots pushing the propaganda one way or another. It's the issue these days though, and with the rise of AI etc, it's pretty scary to think that half of your time conversing with someone on social media could actually not be a real person. 

 

Funilly enough, I've also run into the whole Reddit hive mind issue too. Majority of the time it's been positive, but I once got downvoted to hell because I didn't know the term for something in-game, even though what I was describing was right. Daft. 

 

As I said though, I tend to just browse and lurk, reading what I fancy and not getting too drawn in to whatever drama is going on, or whatever the agenda is that's been pushed. 

 

Tell you what, recent years have made me miss the days of Internet forums. 

Edited by LongHairedFreakyGuy
  • Like 1

KilnerLUFC.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Adam Jensen
Posted (edited)

It's like everything else online. It has its positives and negatives.

 

There's a lot of group-think in a lot of subreddits so there's no point in participating, unless you're as brainwashed as they are. But there are some fun sh*tposting communities that I like to read every once in a while. It's fun. I recently found out that there's an entire community dedicated to sh*tposts about The Sopranos and I can't get enough of it (/r/CirclejerkSopranos).

Edited by Adam Jensen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2024 at 1:15 AM, LongHairedFreakyGuy said:

I frequent the subreddits focused on the current Ukraine situation, and it's very noticeable there how many bots there are on the site. Seems they aim for the popular subjects, as it was the China subreddits a few years back that I noticed all the bots pushing the propaganda one way or another. It's the issue these days though, and with the rise of AI etc, it's pretty scary to think that half of your time conversing with someone on social media could actually not be a real person. 

 

There's a conspiracy theory called the "dead internet theory" that suggests most posts and comments on social media and places like reddit are made up largely of bots, and that there's actually very few human beings posting anymore.

 

I don't personally think this is wholly true as I think there's still a huge genuine human element on social media and reddit, but these days I have genuinely started to think that when it comes to certain topics and subjects (especially anything political or politicised) I think the actual % of bots involved in those discussions would frighten people. Twitter in particularly is REALLY bad since Elon took over, which is somewhat amusing because part of his manifesto when he took over was dealing with bots, but the bot problem on Twitter is bigger and more visible than ever.

 

I think one thing people may not realise with bots as well, and perhaps why it's not so obvious to people when there's bots posting, is that the people behind the bots generally aren't too concerned with pushing a specific narrative, instead they're posting stuff from both sides of the political spectrum and simply looking to push people further left and right and widen the divide.

 

One of the many, many reasons why I stay well away from any sort of political thread on any forum lol.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.