GTA Forums "Notifications" Log Isn't Very Good...

Gaffa

Bit of a moan here, but I'm wondering why the current setup of forum notifications is so lacklustre, in terms of logging data? 
So right now, if I click the notification bell in the top right, GTA Forums lists the last 10 (?) notifications, of which I'm only seeing 5. If I then click on "View All Notifications" at the bottom, I am literally showed no more information, nor any more notifications (it's still the same 5, not exactly "all notifications"), than previously. 

JUbXmYm.png

If I wanted to see something from earlier than Friday, I literally have no way to do that, unless I have GTA Forums send me emails every single time, which will then clog up the mail box. 
We (I) could really do with a setting to allow more notifications to be recorded / a bigger log of the data so that previous stuff can be replied to (etc). 

Spider-Vice

There is a one week cut-off for database cleanup/tidiness reasons. We cannot (and will not) realistically keep a log of all your notifications forever, that would just be data hoarding anyway - people who get notifications frequently would have multiple (perhaps thousands of) pages. I have two whole pages of them for this week, you simply did not get any reactions etc during that period, until Friday.

Before last Thursday, the last time someone liked a post of yours was on 12th February, it's been a lot more than a week since then.

7lDQL1R.png

Could increase it just a little bit (2-3 weeks?) but there is zero value in keeping notification logs forever. If you're not posting often obviously your log would always be small if not empty - people wouldn't be interacting with your content.

"View all notifications" is not view ALL of them since they exist, it's view all the recent ones and not just the ones in the notification bubble. If you don't have more, then...

• Like 2

image.png

GTANet | Red Dead Network | 🌲

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

the beginning is moments ago, the end is moments away 

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2024 at 7:15 PM, Spider-Vice said:

There is a one week cut-off for database cleanup/tidiness reasons. We cannot (and will not) realistically keep a log of all your notifications forever, that would just be data hoarding anyway - people who get notifications frequently would have multiple (perhaps thousands of) pages. I have two whole pages of them for this week, you simply did not get any reactions etc during that period, until Friday.

Before last Thursday, the last time someone liked a post of yours was on 12th February, it's been a lot more than a week since then.

7lDQL1R.png

Could increase it just a little bit (2-3 weeks?) but there is zero value in keeping notification logs forever. If you're not posting often obviously your log would always be small if not empty - people wouldn't be interacting with your content.

"View all notifications" is not view ALL of them since they exist, it's view all the recent ones and not just the ones in the notification bubble. If you don't have more, then...

My apologies about the extremely tardy reply - thanks for getting back to me on that one. 
Yeah I thought there may have been some sort of way to track older notifications - but I've now set up the email notifications so that there's at least "more of a log" that way (and a way I can "go back in time" to stuff I'd missed or whathaveyou). 

Whilst I have you here, I've got a quick question that's more of a personal request / request to any of the other staff team:- I'm probably making a mountain of a molehill on this one, but here we go.
I want to create a big post in the GTA Online section covering a wide range of things, but I think having it all in the Original Post at the top of the page would be a bit much - too much to read, too much to take in (particularly considering I want to 'categorise' posts and bundle relevant things together) and if any other forumers reply to the thread before I've managed to make all the posts, it'll possibly jumble things up and ruin the flow of what I'm trying to achieve. 
I know I can just write out all my posts in something like a Word or Google document or whatever and then copy+paste them in, but because of the forum format - making use of spoilers, pasting in photo or video links etc - that's not easily doable unless I'm really quick with it. 
Would it be possible to create such a thread in this (or another) section of the forum and then ask you to move it over to the correct section? 

Edited by Gaffa

On 4/9/2024 at 6:41 PM, Gaffa said:

My apologies about the extremely tardy reply - thanks for getting back to me on that one. 
Yeah I thought there may have been some sort of way to track older notifications - but I've now set up the email notifications so that there's at least "more of a log" that way (and a way I can "go back in time" to stuff I'd missed or whathaveyou). 

Whilst I have you here, I've got a quick question that's more of a personal request / request to any of the other staff team:- I'm probably making a mountain of a molehill on this one, but here we go.
I want to create a big post in the GTA Online section covering a wide range of things, but I think having it all in the Original Post at the top of the page would be a bit much - too much to read, too much to take in (particularly considering I want to 'categorise' posts and bundle relevant things together) and if any other forumers reply to the thread before I've managed to make all the posts, it'll possibly jumble things up and ruin the flow of what I'm trying to achieve. 
I know I can just write out all my posts in something like a Word or Google document or whatever and then copy+paste them in, but because of the forum format - making use of spoilers, pasting in photo or video links etc - that's not easily doable unless I'm really quick with it. 
Would it be possible to create such a thread in this (or another) section of the forum and then ask you to move it over to the correct section? 

You can create the thread here: https://gtaforums.com/forum/466-court-house/

Once you're finished with the layout just let us know and we will move it. 

• Like 3

Spider-Vice

Also, if you wish to post a few posts one after the other, that you can link to in a table of contents in the OP, you can just wait a few minutes and the posts will not automatically merge. So when you're fully done then it can be moved to the GTAO section as said above.

image.png

GTANet | Red Dead Network | 🌲

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

the beginning is moments ago, the end is moments away 

Thanks ever so much, I should hopefully be done in a week or two, trying to get as much into as I can laid out properly. 

• Like 1