What is THE most important aspect of a video game for you?

Emmi

I'd like to hear what everyone's personal most important aspect of a video game is and maybe explain why.

I'll start with mine and only just recently I came to realize that for me personally the most important aspect of a video game is its atmosphere. I want to be fully absorbed into video games and ideally they make me forget real life problems - at least - during the time I play them. For me this only works with video games that nail the atmosphere they want to convey and well that is one of the reasons why I absolutely love every single R* game. They just know how to do it.

• Like 1

I'll not go into the full details, but it'll be art style, atmosphere, replayability, and if it's an online game or whatever, that'll be the community. I've seen the downfall of a few games for that reason alone.

Depends what I want and expect out of a certain video game really. Generally speaking, I'm looking for a hook, but that hook can come in different ways.

There's times where I wanna get absorbed into a game and be taken to another place and world, so in those experiences, which are mainly open world, I'm looking for atmosphere sure. Atmosphere is sort of a broad term but essentially I'm talking a nice art design, coherent and interesting world design and world building, meaningful and interesting exploration, interesting characters and things like like that. That's the hook for those type of experiences for me, gameplay isn't a giant concern - although that's not to say I'd put up with objectively bad gameplay. Games like RDR2, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Witcher are what I'm talking about, games where the gameplay isn't fantastic but the real strengths of the games are in the world. Upcoming games would be Dragon's Dogma 2 and Horizon Forbidden West PC.

But then there's other types of experiences I'm looking for, like genuinely great gameplay. Perhaps the best example of this I can personally give is the Monster Hunter series, of which I'm a relative newcomer but sank 500 hours into World and completed Rise and have Monster Hunter Wilds sitting at #1 on my Steam wishlist. In those games I'm straight up skipping the story, I have no interest in it, it's there to give some context but it's not important to the game in any shape or form. As a result of that and just the games design in general, the series really has no atmosphere, not one comparable to the games above anyway. But the hook is the gameplay, which is absolutely incredible, and that's what keeps me coming back hunt after hunt. Other examples would be co-op shooters, so stuff like Left 4 Dead, Deep Rock Galactic and Helldivers 2, which are a bit different in that they ooze atmosphere a lot more, but the hook is the gameplay and how satisfying they are to play.

There's also loot games, which are a bit of soft spot for me. So games like Diablo, Last Epoch, Warframe, Borderlands and more. These are also games where story isn't super important to me, although in some cases (like Borderlands) it isn't unimportant. In these types of games I'm looking really for two things: fun gameplay and interesting and meaningful loot.

The last example I can think of right now are progression games, they're often mixed with loot games above mind you, but games with persistent progression that I can progress in over months and years. MMORPG's traditionally, which is basically my old love when it comes to video game genres but nowadays the genre is a bit sh*t lol so I don't really lock my self into MMORPG's when looking for these types of games, but I have played a few on/off over the years, like Elder Scrolls Online over the pandemic. Upcoming examples of this though would be something like Light No Fire.

Failed Again

I like to escape from reality ..

Basically -"Reality is for those who can't handle games".

Matrelith

An engaging primary gameplay loop. 

• Like 1

Ballbreaker_

I'd say it's a combination between immersion and engaging gameplay, with immersion definitely being the most important.

Like, the original Mass Effect didn't have a very satisfying gameplay, but immersion was done superbly well and it became one of my favorite games.

Harwood Butch3r

Depending on the game an engaging story is really important to me with strong characters.

If the story doesn’t hook me off the bat then I’m likely not going to be that interested in playing even if the gameplay is good.

In saying that for games in general an engaging gameplay loop.

To use Helldivers II as an example on paper it kind of sounds a bit “meh”. Every objective is go here to do something, do this, do this and then go to the extraction zone.

If you break down it like that it might sound really boring, but that’s not what it is at all. Someone said it’s more about the journey than the destination and I whole heartedly agree.

So much random sh*t happens it actually starts to take your mind off that you’re kinda just doing the same thing over and over again. The randomness and spontaneous nature of the game makes the gameplay loop so addicting you start saying to yourself “just one more time” and before you know it a few hours have passed.😉

Edited by Harwood Butch3r
  • Like 1

Legomanarthur

It depends on the game. Obviously if the gameplay is fun and engaging I'll keep playing it but there's a fair chance I'll lose interest after a while, especially if it's a singleplayer game. Multiplayer games may last a little longer if I'm playing with friends or if the gameplay is really that fun when playing solo, but it's a similar situation, I'll eventually lose interest in it.

If the game focuses more on its story and ends up being really captivating from start to finish with great characters and payoffs then I'll most likely play it multiple times. I'm much more invested in good stories and often want to experience them again if they've left a positive impact on me.

Of course, the best of both worlds is for a game to be engaging to play by itself with an engaging story as the cherry on top, now that's the complete package.

fJEUkTi.png

• 4 weeks later...
Cranberrycc

Some gamers enjoy games they can come back to again and again, whether it's mastering difficult challenges, exploring different choices, or simply enjoying the experience all over again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
RonaldCook

For me, it's all about the exploration and freedom! Games like Minecraft are a total blast because they let you do whatever you want, right? You can build, explore, or even fight off creepers in your own hand-crafted fortresses. That’s the real deal about having an open-world sandbox. It’s your oyster, and you’re the pearl-making master!

Now, switching gears to Elden Ring—jeez, the sheer vastness and the dense, mysterious lore of the world is something else. Every nook and cranny has something that piques your curiosity, and you’re not just playing, you're embarking on an epic saga. That kind of depth in world-building? Absolutely bonkers and brilliant!

By the way, I'm from Australia and you can find a pokie machine everywhere. But personally, I love playing online pokies. Talking about online video pokies in Australia, what really draws me in is the constant excitement and the immediate satisfaction they provide. You can join and leave whenever you want, and the game is always available. It's like a gripping series that doesn't require a lot of time per session, but always offers something new and interesting. And I also have numerous sites like this where you can play for free, so it's safe too.  You can pop online, have a quick game, and it’s all smooth sailing.

So yeah, whether it's building blocks in Minecraft, unraveling the mysteries of Elden Ring, or hitting the pokies online, it's the freedom and the thrill that keeps me coming back for more. 

Edited by RonaldCook

• 2 weeks later...

Gameplay, story and characters, and graphics/art style would be last place.

The Audiophile Thread

LG 32GN650-B | TESORO Gram XS | PRO X Superlight 2 | Xbox Elite v2 | JBL Tune 720BT | Truthear Hexa

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | RTX 4070 | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2 | PS3 | Google Pixel 6 Pro | Fanatec CSL DD McLaren GT3 V2

LongHairedFreakyGuy
On 4/30/2024 at 1:24 PM, DEALUX said:

Gameplay, story and characters, and graphics/art style would be last place.

Graphics don't matter that much to me in some cases (been gaming since the 90's), but on the contrary, the art style of a game can sometimes sell a game for me, and sets the tone for the whole game itself. Like the Zelda series for example, I remember the massive controversy when they revealed Wind Waker and the bashing that cel shading got. Now, barring some of the tedious sailing sections, I actually regard this game as one of my favourites of all time. The art style allowed for some brilliant animations and features within the game that modern graphical masterpieces just can't achieve. Another game that i was absolutely immersed in was Rime, which also got slightly bashed due to the art style (and also the poor performance at times), but again, another game that managed so much due to the style of the game. This is obviously just my opinion, and only quoted this post to add my 2 cents.

As others have touched upon, I have no specific guidelines for what I go for within a game, and actually enjoy mixing it up a lot, going from some highly graphical, open world game, to a cartoon style, linear game. Some games can have me majorly immersed in the story and the lore of the world, whereas others are just some dumb fun to wind down with after work.

Jason

Art style can be the difference between a game looking like sh*t in 10-20 years or a game still holding up well.

The best examples of this are Nintendo games, particularly Zelda and Mario. Super Mario 64 shows it's age obviously, it was the first 3d Mario and one of the first major 3D games, so that's understandable, but it still looks nice and clean. But Sunshine? Sunshine still looks fantastic today, especially at higher resolution.

Rockstar are mixed on it, depending on the era. Their pre-RAGE era games all look very dated visually, but their RAGE era games have art styles that hold up really well. GTA IV and RDR1 running at high resolution look really good for a game their age.

Margot Robbed Me
13 hours ago, Jason said:

Art style can be the difference between a game looking like sh*t in 10-20 years or a game still holding up well.

Reminds me of

Jason

Oh yea there's some classic isometric stuff that has aged great too.