Can video games surprise anymore these days?

Emmi

LongHairedFreakyGuy
3 hours ago, Jason said:

Name one? AFAIK they're virtually all some form of multiplayer GaaS, be it PvP or co-op. I think the Hitman trilogy is the only one I can think of, and yes, that's bad, but it's the only one I can think of my self. I've not played a online only SP game my self in... well, ever.

Gran Turismo 7.

11 minutes ago, KilnerLUFC said:

Gran Turismo 7.

Historically a single player franchise but I think there is a very fair argument that today GT is a service / GaaS game.

Which is bad of course, it's been a very mismanaged franchise IMO.

• Like 1

LongHairedFreakyGuy
On 2/19/2024 at 3:58 AM, Moth said:

Do you really want modern DICE to remake BC2? A studio that still doesn't understand why people loved the game so much? And after making both BFV and 2042? Yeah, I have no hope for that studio. Same actually can be said about the vast majority of AAA studios nowadays, including Rockstar, I have no hope for them.  Frankly, I just want a Videogame Crash 2 at this point, cause the whole industry is f*cked. There needs to be a focus back onto what players actually want, not what the publisher execs or gaming "journalists" want.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head for my personal opinion on remakes/reboots etc these days and why the majority of the time, if possible, I'd rather just stick to the original game and revel in the memories that the game provided me, rather than hoping modern companies can reproduce the exact feeling these days as I had back then without them f*cking them up in every way imaginable. I hadn't even touched a BF game till a guy on here (MyMothersMySister) told me to join him on a game one night, and since then I've been hooked on the BF series since. The campaign itself was brilliant, but the MP side of the game was amazing, from the maps to the gun play and game play. Couldn't imagine how gutted I was when they announced the servers were going down, especially since I'd just bought the Vietnam DLC. I missed out on BF3 due to having no console at the time, but BF4 was the next title that took many hours of my life away from me, in a good way. Again, if it wasn't for the fact the servers were always dead when I hit the game up, I'd still be playing to this day. Immense fun to be had on that game. The thing is, I don't want a remake of these titles in anyway, I would just love them to come alive again and the servers to be full. Nothing needs changing or modernising in these games whatsoever. Especially with the rise of passes. 

When it was recently announced that the Timesplitters 'reboot' had been cancelled due to cuts, part of me was relieved, but also gutted at the same time. Remember, we're talking about a shooter game that had a roster of over 100 characters, multiple game modes across multiple maps with tons of weapons, and that's just the MP mode, not including the campaign or challenge modes/Arcade. Now can you imagine what a title like that would turn in to in modern times. Passes galore and a soulless game. 

Any time someone asks the question of what I would love to see remade these days, I pretty much answer with the same games (SSX, Burnout etc...) , but then my head says that the majority of remakes these days are trash, money grabbing trash with no love, barring a few to save me been a hypocrite. And this is the big issue. The rise of gaming as a mainstream hobby and industry as opposed to older years is why I kind of agree, we need a major crash and refresh. As per the original question, this is why the majority of surprise comes from the 'indie' scene, or smaller studios, as opposed to the bigger companies that are trying to play too safe or appease every person the planet and not upset anyone, becoming generic and bland along the way. 

Oh, and speaking of Crazy Taxi, even that's been 'announced' as a live service title with a 100 player mode... To me that's just killed any bit of excitement I had for the title. 

As I previously said, the majority of surprise I get these days is from trying out a new genre, something I'd never have gone for if not for the Internet, or a title that tries a new artstyle (Wind Waker is a game I still adore to this day, also Rime is another title I loved and that was a unique art style and a completely different game to what I'd usually go for). 

EDIT

And yes, as good as the game is looking, I'm very hesitant on getting my excitement up for GTA6 blowing me away after 5...

Edited by KilnerLUFC

23 minutes ago, KilnerLUFC said:

When it was recently announced that the Timesplitters 'reboot' had been cancelled due to cuts, part of me was relieved, but also gutted at the same time. Remember, we're talking about a shooter game that had a roster of over 100 characters, multiple game modes across multiple maps with tons of weapons, and that's just the MP mode, not including the campaign or challenge modes/Arcade. Now can you imagine what a title like that would turn in to in modern times. Passes galore and a soulless game. 

That Timesplitters game had to be initially pitched as a battle royal to get it green lit, the people pitching it knew it was a bad idea and they eventually were able to shift the project into a better direction which was as a remake of TS2 but with a twist on the plot and extra content.

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/timesplitters-project-reportedly-began-life-as-battle-royale-pivoted-to-an-expanded-ts2-remake

So it actually sounds like it was gonna end up as a pretty faithful experience in terms of it being a SP/co-op game with the separate multiplayer mode.

Monetisation wise.. yea, it'd have had the usual stuff I'm guessing.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
LongHairedFreakyGuy
On 2/20/2024 at 5:23 PM, Jason said:

That Timesplitters game had to be initially pitched as a battle royal to get it green lit, the people pitching it knew it was a bad idea and they eventually were able to shift the project into a better direction which was as a remake of TS2 but with a twist on the plot and extra content.

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/timesplitters-project-reportedly-began-life-as-battle-royale-pivoted-to-an-expanded-ts2-remake

So it actually sounds like it was gonna end up as a pretty faithful experience in terms of it being a SP/co-op game with the separate multiplayer mode.

Monetisation wise.. yea, it'd have had the usual stuff I'm guessing.

Some early TS4 was 'leaked'... Genuine shame that we'll never see anything like this again.

52 minutes ago, LongHairedFreakyGuy said:

Some early TS4 was 'leaked'... Genuine shame that we'll never see anything like this again.

That was the 2008 build, be glad you never saw the version that Free Radicial were making before the studio was shut down. It was very early dev footage, but they were essentially making a battle royale running on UE5 and it was using Fortnite placeholder UI... so it looked like a sh*t Fortnite lmao.

The BR pitch was what the studio leads were trying to move away from mind you, and supposedly what they did manage to move away from into a TS2 reimaging before the studio got shut down.

Exsanguination

I'm confident GTA VI will...

I feel where you're coming from, most modern games haven't captured my interest like older games did....maybe it's because I'm getting older I don't know....

I like to joke that my xbox series x is a high performance xbox 360 because I mostly play older games on it.