How do i downgrade manually with the official 1.0.8 patch? I worry of FUD keyloggers in auto tools, thanks!

jonny31

I have the 1.2 complete edition GTA IV steam, how would i manually downgrade this with the official patch of 1.0.8?  I want to play this game but don't want the rockstar club and steam running, nor risking my PC. Thank you very much. 

Edited by jonny31
More reasoning

1 hour ago, jonny31 said:

how would i manually downgrade this with the official patch of 1.0.8?

Try this https://ant-sh.blogspot.com/2020/09/easy-downgrade-gta-iv-to-1040.html

It has patch 7 classic downgrade section (just install patch 8 instead of patch 7) if you don't want to use ZolikaPatch patch 8 express downgrade.

Official patch 8 installer GTA_IV_EFIGS_PATCH_8.exe relies on InstallFolder value in registry to be set up so you'll have to download and run _InstallFolder.bat script from my gdrive. Manually unpacking patch 8 in 7-zip is tricky but if you want I'll add the needed steps to "Manually unpacking GTA IV Rockstar patches" section.

12 hours ago, ant_sh said:

Try this https://ant-sh.blogspot.com/2020/09/easy-downgrade-gta-iv-to-1040.html

It has patch 7 classic downgrade section (just install patch 8 instead of patch 7) if you don't want to use ZolikaPatch patch 8 express downgrade.

Official patch 8 installer GTA_IV_EFIGS_PATCH_8.exe relies on InstallFolder value in registry to be set up so you'll have to download and run _InstallFolder.bat script from my gdrive. Manually unpacking patch 8 in 7-zip is tricky but if you want I'll add the needed steps to "Manually unpacking GTA IV Rockstar patches" section.

Thanks ant for the support, appreciate it. 

I'm concerned about .bat files too, you never know what exploits there are, is it possible with the step:

• Get update_unpack.bat, put it into title_update_7_EN folder that has .msi/.cab update files and run it from there

To do this manually? 

Thanks again.

Edited by jonny31

1 hour ago, jonny31 said:

concerned about .bat too since i've seen too many black hat presentations on how sophisticated they can be

All bat files I reference I wrote  myself. You may open .bat file in Notepad and see it's nothing to be concerned about. 

msiexec /a TitleUpdate.msi /qb targetdir="%TEMP%"

(Unpacks the MS installer patch file to TEMP folder)

start explorer "%TEMP%\PFiles\GFWLTitleUpdateRoot"

(Open the folder with unpacked files in Windows Explorer)

Then you just move all files and subfolders from opened GFWLTitleUpdateRoot folder to GTA IV folder.

Note that Patch 8 uses Nullsoft installer and not MS installer so the above commands won't work (there's no TitleUpdate.msi in Patch 😎

9 hours ago, ant_sh said:

All bat files I reference I wrote  myself. You may open .bat file in Notepad and see it's nothing to be concerned about. 

msiexec /a TitleUpdate.msi /qb targetdir="%TEMP%"

(Unpacks the MS installer patch file to TEMP folder)

start explorer "%TEMP%\PFiles\GFWLTitleUpdateRoot"

(Open the folder with unpacked files in Windows Explorer)

Then you just move all files and subfolders from opened GFWLTitleUpdateRoot folder to GTA IV folder.

Note that Patch 8 uses Nullsoft installer and not MS installer so the above commands won't work (there's no TitleUpdate.msi in Patch 😎

Thank you. 

I did try the rockstar 1.0.8 official patch. The gtaiv.exe changed to 1.0.8, launching it gave an error, "side-by-side configuration is wrong..." , well apparently the solution is to download the 2005 c++ redistributals, and then that on install of that gave an invalid cpu error of sorts, both with vcredistx86.exe and vcredistx64.exe.

So, i feel defeated. I can't find a way to on my own downgrade gta iv without risking my PC, and i now i realiase i got to fix the radio without .exes by manual means... too much research that is lacking by the manual method. 

Exhausting. Very sad the music license is not renewed, and then it ends up tied up with launchers... the only way out is risking my PC when i know how hackers use social engineering to get their payloads out. I've read their stuff... "make reputable account on platforms" etc. Use FUD stuff. Then i read AVs are as good as their signature database... can't be trusted for total security etc. I've seen FUD keyloggers, virustotal... clean... 

I know others have downgraded, but you just never know, who that person is, whether they play the reputable game, when they'll strike... some play the long game... to obscure recollection.

GTA IV, out of reach. 

58 minutes ago, jonny31 said:

AVs are as good as their signature database... can't be trusted for total security

Man, you're paranoid. Some AV engines on Virustotal flag .asi and .dll from opensource XLA and UAL just because during their normal use they inject or patch memory of a running game.

Regarding radio - you don't have to patch .rpf yourself, you may get latest Radio Downgrader from nexusmods, it contains prepatched .rpf files in .zip or .rar archive.

Don't give up just yet. Use this all-in-one package https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

14 hours ago, ant_sh said:

Man, you're paranoid. Some AV engines on Virustotal flag .asi and .dll from opensource XLA and UAL just because during their normal use they inject or patch memory of a running game.

Regarding radio - you don't have to patch .rpf yourself, you may get latest Radio Downgrader from nexusmods, it contains prepatched .rpf files in .zip or .rar archive.

Don't give up just yet. Use this all-in-one package https://www.techpowerup.com/download/visual-c-redistributable-runtime-package-all-in-one/

Thanks, I did try that all-in-one link, I don't recall it successfully installing the 2005 c++ and it ended up with the same error, but I can try it again. Thanks for the nexusmods link, I'll have a look if I can manually sort that out. 

I've seen a lot of black hat presentation stuff i.e. how sophisticated their exploitation skills are and the copious amount of attack surface area reduction tweaks businesses enact is insane. I read the stuff from hackers on the hackforum; people don't realise how AV's aren't an issue for them, and that they all use social reputation to get their malware out, social engineering is just as much as their craft as the computer hacking is.

I remember in the days of pirate bay, people on the hack forum were always saying, get a VIP account, build up your reputation, these will end up being accounts people think they can trust due to the little pink or green badges they had denoting their high reputation or VIP status. And this at the time was using fully undetectable viruses, where virustotal gave everything as undetected for every AV it listed. But no, this was a fully functional remote access tool with all the features, webcam viewing, mouse/keyboard access, file access, keyloggers, etc. The victims AV would just be like a dog with a blank expression "everything is ok, you're safe" - the UI says... they weren't, at any time their PC was turned on, blackmail ransom was very possible if they had incriminating information on their PC, banking details, they would be screwed. Another thing they can do, is do illegal activity from your computer, or host an illegal website from your computer.

And it's a basic to wait a while, so the victim doesn't pinpoint the attack to x or y download. I've been hacked twice in the far past and I struggled to recollect what it was I downloaded. Both hacks concerned losing accounts to games, so I guess some auto tool or game-related .exe, or not? Maybe they just saw value in the game accounts and the .exe I ran came from something unrelated... I just could not remember.

I saw listings for remote access tools (RATs) to buy, like 4-6 different sellers, ALL were fully undetectable by virustotal. It seemed like a normal thing for them to produce fully undetectable (FUD) malware and that posing as a reputable dude on some platform was equally, just a normal thing for them to enact. Remember, hackers don't have to hack you on day 1 of running their .exe. With all their victims on a list, they can happily do their thing on your computer at a later date.

As for open source stuff; all the compiled .exe's that are on websites separate to the GitHub page of the program in question (just to be clear my common sense is sound, other people confirm (How can you be sure that executable files from github are safe : r/github (reddit.com)) can quite simply be altered differently to the code on their GitHub page. And yes, I can't be bothered learning how to compile the code on GitHub, it seems tedious. And yes, a hacker would most certainly know a lot of people can't be bothered either. Hell, even if I compiled it, I wouldn't know what is in there, and yes, I would hope those who do know, would point it out, but with such a large dataset of code, there's no telling whether some unique sophisticated backdoor is concealed to look benign to other coders.

I actually think hoodwinking people into downloading .exes just because they have a GitHub page showing 'transparency' might be a popular thing now. It's the same as someone giving you a plastic bottle of coke and saying, "as you can see from the ingredients on the label, there is nothing dangerous in it.", even though they injected cyanide into the bottle when you wasn't looking.

And sadly, false positives due to the 'nature of the program' can be used as an excuse from the beginning, or if they fail to keep it clean from AV's over time. 

So that's the reason for my worry, just because lots of people use a downgrader, doesn't mean we know it is safe (we technically don't know), since fully undetectable malware is very much a thing, as is the social engineering aspect.

And for those who would tell me it is safe, they aren't there to solve my issues if down the line, my PC and my network is compromised leaving this household in disarray. 

I know what you mean, I do get a feeling these people who make these auto tools enjoy producing helpful tools to bypass the annoyances we face from game companies and that they enjoy the pleasure from appreciative people of their tools. Just that, I know that sadly, social engineering is equally a big thing as the hacking itself for some hackers, so I'm not going to blindly go against my experience and knowledge and waltz into the darkness with no care. I really can't be doing with worrying about nasty shocks down the line just because of some game.

Edited by jonny31

2 hours ago, jonny31 said:

some unique sophisticated backdoor is concealed to look benign

You watched too many scary videos  so you're making an elephant out of a fly.

Game does not require administrator privileges to run e.g. GTAIV.exe can be run as an ordinary user. It means that any .asi and .dll that game loads can not install anything that requires admin privileges (rootkit, keylogger, any other driver or service). If you play offline and deny GTAIV.exe access to the internet on the firewall no information from your PC can be leaked by it even if .asi or .dll that it loads somehow has a backdoor. Basically, the effort to add a backdoor to some old and niche game executables/libraries and very low probability of payout make it worthless endeavour for any knowledgeable hacker. To make it simpler for you - no one is going to plan a heist and hire a crew with a helicopter only to steal $100 from piggy bank of some random dude.

If 2005 msvc doesn't install it may be already installed or conflicts with some other msvc installed package. You may try uninstalling all msvc packages you have on your system, reboot and reinstall them from all-in-one pack. If it still doesn't install then your OS is damaged and you should reinstall it - get latest Windows iso, mount it by double clicking, run setup.exe and install using upgrade/retain data and programs option.

On 2/14/2024 at 5:56 PM, ant_sh said:

You watched too many scary videos  so you're making an elephant out of a fly.

Game does not require administrator privileges to run e.g. GTAIV.exe can be run as an ordinary user. It means that any .asi and .dll that game loads can not install anything that requires admin privileges (rootkit, keylogger, any other driver or service). If you play offline and deny GTAIV.exe access to the internet on the firewall no information from your PC can be leaked by it even if .asi or .dll that it loads somehow has a backdoor. Basically, the effort to add a backdoor to some old and niche game executables/libraries and very low probability of payout make it worthless endeavour for any knowledgeable hacker. To make it simpler for you - no one is going to plan a heist and hire a crew with a helicopter only to steal $100 from piggy bank of some random dude.

If 2005 msvc doesn't install it may be already installed or conflicts with some other msvc installed package. You may try uninstalling all msvc packages you have on your system, reboot and reinstall them from all-in-one pack. If it still doesn't install then your OS is damaged and you should reinstall it - get latest Windows iso, mount it by double clicking, run setup.exe and install using upgrade/retain data and programs option.

I know what you are saying. But I can't be bothered with any possibility in my head from non-authoritative sources.  There's all sorts of weird exploits out there, working on oversights in the OS, the network, android devices etc. If they have these exploits in place, it's no effort for them to dish it out everywhere. $100, we don't know what people have. Or whether they have other people use their computer. In fact, no hackers know anything about other people's bank accounts for the most part, that all part of the fishing process. You can quite easily get rich kids/adults playing games, or have someone who is rich using their computer, or on their network, if the hacker does indeed have a good exploit in place for that, many devices nowadays rampantly talk to one another over the user's network  using multicast packets, even if people aren't using screen sharing or doing file sharing, these companies probably want to data mine their network anyway, which of course, is great for hackers, having all devices advertise their presence for file sharing/ screen sharing, god knows what backdoors these greedy companies have lazily left open. Regarding multicast, by default, apple phones do it, android phones probably will too (i don't use wifi on my phone, so can't see it on wireshark), smart TVs do it, windows PCs do it, i'm guessing apple PCs will do it too.

I'm not taking any risks. GTA IV is essentially dead in the water for me. 

Edited by jonny31

14 hours ago, jonny31 said:

I'm not taking any risks. GTA IV is essentially dead in the water for me. 

That's not reasonable, even if you go outside and cross a street you're taking a risk of losing something much more valuable than what you have on your PC or in your bank account.

You should evaluate risk/reward instead. In case of using official patch + opensource XLivelessAddon + Ultimate ASI loader  from author's github risk is minimal but reward of playing such a great game without relying on any launchers is immense.

Yeah, getting binaries from github  may not be as safe as compiling  yourself but since 2019 when that package was built nobody has detected any suspicious activity from it e.g. it is pretty much honestly built from the source code provided, works completely offline and doesn't require elevated privileges. Just reinstall your OS to get that 2005 msvc working. "If you've got desire you'll find thousand ways to do
it. No desire - thousand excuses not to do it" as Peter the Great (Russian tzar) used to say.

And btw FUD means "fear, uncertainty and doubt".

On 2/19/2024 at 7:39 AM, ant_sh said:

That's not reasonable, even if you go outside and cross a street you're taking a risk of losing something much more valuable than what you have on your PC or in your bank account.

You should evaluate risk/reward instead. In case of using official patch + opensource XLivelessAddon + Ultimate ASI loader  from author's github risk is minimal but reward of playing such a great game without relying on any launchers is immense.

Yeah, getting binaries from github  may not be as safe as compiling  yourself but since 2019 when that package was built nobody has detected any suspicious activity from it e.g. it is pretty much honestly built from the source code provided, works completely offline and doesn't require elevated privileges. Just reinstall your OS to get that 2005 msvc working. "If you've got desire you'll find thousand ways to do
it. No desire - thousand excuses not to do it" as Peter the Great (Russian tzar) used to say.

And btw FUD means "fear, uncertainty and doubt".

Thank you for your help.  I'll have a look at that. 

Crossing the road is potentially a greater risk, but I can still minimise potential ball aches down the line. As you say yourself, without compiling and knowing the code, there is that risk. I just can't be bothered with worrying, for me, it outweighs playing a good game. 

I get what you mean with your FUD definition in regards to your angle, but just in case you didn't Fully UnDetectable (FUD) - NeuShield Ransomware Protection.

Thanks again for your help.

18 hours ago, jonny31 said:

Thanks again for your help.

The thing with security providets is that they often need to exaggerate threats in order to sell their products or services. Those undetectable malwares are only dangerous if they somehow execute their encrypted payload with elevated privileges. Any external libraries when running within user mode GTAIV.exe process can't do that.

You are welcome, if you think I answered the question you may mark it as answered.

10 hours ago, ant_sh said:

The thing with security providets is that they often need to exaggerate threats in order to sell their products or services. Those undetectable malwares are only dangerous if they somehow execute their encrypted payload with elevated privileges. Any external libraries when running within user mode GTAIV.exe process can't do that.

You are welcome, if you think I answered the question you may mark it as answered.

Yes I agree that AVs probably do exaggerate false positives to look better.

I can believe admin mode does indeed keep us safe for the most part, but simply, you never know what clever cookie is out there.

For myself, I can't mark a solution, i.e. a way to bypass steam and R* launchers with radio songs in place by fully manual means. No problem. Thanks for all your input, and time in trying to support me though. I might come back to all your ideas at a later date. I'm afraid, I'm just too worried about all these possibilities. I rather just move on.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, jonny31 said:

what clever cookie is out there

WTF are you talking about? Are you saying that author of XLA and UAL tools which are opensource intentionally modified 5 years ago binary builds on github to somehow include "fully-undetectable malware"? Really? What could he possibly gain from it when those libraries are loaded in user-mode GTAIV.exe process? Ask him here through PM (user ThirteenAG, I will not ping him in this thread myself).

I gave you fully manual way to do what you wanted. 

On 2/13/2024 at 5:51 AM, jonny31 said:

how would i manually downgrade this with the official patch of 1.0.8?  I want to play this game but don't want the rockstar club and steam running, nor risking my PC

- manually unpack or set up InstallFolder value in registry and install through .exe official R* patch

- unpack or compile yourself  opensource XLA + UAL. There are alternatives which are basically cracks and obviously can't be considered for your purpose. 

- unpack Radio downgrader .rar from nexusmods. It should work from update subfolder using UAL's overloader but if it doesn't then move downgraded radio from update subfolder to game folder where GTAIV.exe is.

If you think it's not manual or safe enough feel free to find something more 'manual and safe' and share.

On 2/22/2024 at 6:30 AM, ant_sh said:

WTF are you talking about? Are you saying that author of XLA and UAL tools which are opensource intentionally modified 5 years ago binary builds on github to somehow include "fully-undetectable malware"? Really? What could he possibly gain from it when those libraries are loaded in user-mode GTAIV.exe process? Ask him here through PM (user ThirteenAG, I will not ping him in this thread myself).

This community obviously attracts people with experience in cracking/exploiting things , and a large opportunity for lots of silly kiddies to jump mindlessly run any .exe...

Open source means nothing if you downloaded an .exe that could be compiled differently. Of which if you compile yourself, well, your a small percentage for any possible FUD hacker.

Like I said, there's plenty of security measures by Windows that have been bypassed... by clever cookies... i.e. clever people, are you really going WTF to something has been done time and time again throughout time and that such methods are shared amongst hack forum communities? Is this really a shock for you? 

Is it also a big shock for you that, people can pretend to be nice but stab you in the back if they can get away with it?

On 2/22/2024 at 6:30 AM, ant_sh said:

- manually unpack or set up InstallFolder value in registry and install through .exe official R* patch

- unpack or compile yourself  opensource XLA + UAL. There are alternatives which are basically cracks and obviously can't be considered for your purpose. 

- unpack Radio downgrader .rar from nexusmods. It should work from update subfolder using UAL's overloader but if it doesn't then move downgraded radio from update subfolder to game folder where GTAIV.exe is.

If you think it's not manual or safe enough feel free to find something more 'manual and safe' and share.

Thank you, but I can't be bothered compiling that, I don't have the attention or energy, I haven't learnt to do so. 

I appreciate your attempt at helping me, but you can't do anymore. 

Edited by jonny31