Manual car light button - why do you think, they did it that way?

rusty_browns_ring_donuts

rusty_browns_ring_donuts

Hey everyone,

when there is daylight and no tunnel, the lights on GTA cars are turned off by default. To have more interaction possibilities, it was a good idea to add a button, to turn these lights on. But for some reason, they also added an invisible timer back in the day to turn the light off after a specific time (one minute or so). Why do you think, they did that? I can imagine, adding such a timer is more work instead of making a simple permanently on/off switch. And there is nothing like that in real life, that they could try to reimagine here.

Maybe it is even a bug, but that would make Rockstar look bad, when they don't fix it in all these years.

What do you think?

Max Payne
9 minutes ago, rusty_browns_ring_donuts said:

Maybe it is even a bug, but that would make Rockstar look bad, when they don't fix it in all these years.

Got news for ya.....

I don’t believe it’s a glitch. It’s one of those things that is there because reasons.

rusty_browns_ring_donuts

@Max Payne I hope that these people who develop bad things because of reasons are not too much involved in making GTA VI ;)

Edited by rusty_browns_ring_donuts

wintereffect

Yep, that's actually a thing. High beams turn off after exactly 40 seconds, and only during daytime. Not a glitch, someone was just very particular about not having your lights turned on for too long during daytime. Just another one of these details that make you question what priorities the devs really had

That said, there's an actual bug with the lights in daytime tho

Like, during the day, you're only supposed to have 2 available light modes : off and full beam, with off being default. At night, you have 3 modes : off - low beam - full beam, with low beam being default

Sometimes, during the day, the lights behave like it's nighttime, so your lights are turned on in low beam and you have to turn them off yourself. You can circle through all 3 modes even though you shouldn't be able to. NPCs don't seem affected by this

I've noticed this a long time ago but never cared enough to investigate what makes it happen. I think it has something to do with foggy weather

• Like 2

Legomanarthur

From my own testing this behavior is also present in IV and was probably carried over to V.

I have no idea why they allow the player to turn those lights on during the day only for the game to automatically turn them back off after a short time, not that it's a big deal or anything but it's strange that they bothered putting a timer for such an innocuous feature in the first place. Perhaps leaving the lights on indefinitely during the day impacted performance or something.

• Like 2

fJEUkTi.png

rusty_browns_ring_donuts

In online, there is a way around for your personal vehicles. When you step out of the car and start the engine remotely, you can also turn the lights on remotely and they stay on after that. 

An extremely complex and time consuming alternative to just press one button, but at least, it is possible :D

On 2/7/2024 at 10:08 AM, rusty_browns_ring_donuts said:

Hey everyone,

when there is daylight and no tunnel, the lights on GTA cars are turned off by default. To have more interaction possibilities, it was a good idea to add a button, to turn these lights on. But for some reason, they also added an invisible timer back in the day to turn the light off after a specific time (one minute or so). Why do you think, they did that? I can imagine, adding such a timer is more work instead of making a simple permanently on/off switch. And there is nothing like that in real life, that they could try to reimagine here.

What do you think?

Personally, I like it when the lights turn off by themselves, it's convenient. After all, who drives with the lights on during the day?

I think it was done for convenience.

rusty_browns_ring_donuts

@KaiCor But why would you turn them on in the first place, if you want them to go off after a while?

Personally, I prefer the look of active lights. In real life and in GTA. But in GTA, I need to press the button every half minute to have them working, which is annoying.