GTA Liberty City Stories lagging on PS2

Bocho

Recently I bought GTA: LCS for my PS2 but for some reason its lagging, but the other GTA games run perfectly fine. Is it because of the disc or is my PS2 acting up?

Moncastler

The PS2 version of LCS was a terrible port with lots of performance issues, so what you're experiencing is normal. The only way of playing PS2 LCS decently is through PCSX2, but you need a good PC to stay at 25 FPS (PAL) or 30 FPS (NTSC). 

100% agree. This game is terrible to play on a PS2. Most recently I always played it in the PCSX2, like Moncastler. With the emulator you don't have these FPS drops and can even play in upscaled resolution.

Edited by Stahli

oWCVl1l.png

Like the classic GTA games?          Play The Chain Game!

Max Payne

What are the differences between PS2 and PSP versions? Aside from PS2’s frame drops.

RecklessGlue540
32 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

What are the differences between PS2 and PSP versions? Aside from PS2’s frame drops.

Quite a few. Extra content on the PS2 version, but you can also fancy patch a PSP .iso with this mod if you prefer losing the controller triggers: 

The PS2 version of Liberty City Stories doesn't have any additional content over the original PSP version. That's the case with Vice City Stories though. The only plus of the PS2 version of LCS is slightly better visuals, but as RecklessGlue540 mentioned it's possible to mod the PSP version of the game for that. Both LCS and VCS play reasonably well on the PPSSPP emulator.

Who is the strongest? Who is the best? Who holds the aces, the East or the West?

CslLPae.png

This is the CRAP... our children are learning?

Max Payne

I was reading the thread linked above and I saw mentioning of LCS mobile using PS2 version's map. Not sure what exactly it means but do we have info on other assets and features of mobile versions? Mobile version's lighting resemble GTA III's lighting, so does PS2's. I wonder if they used PS2 lighting for mobile version and that is the reason?

There are more stuff I'm curious to know about LCS. Like why the PSP version having a colorful and PS2 version having dark artstyle. Rockstar's reasons for doing what they did with LCS.

• 2 weeks later...
travisbickle_

If you think the PS2 version is bad, you should play the PS3 PSN version.