Portland is cool

Anywhere USA

Anywhere USA

I realized why while looking at it recently.

Staunton is very clearly Manhattan. Wichita is The Bronx. Shoreside is New Jersey. Very direct inspiration, of the sort all the later games would do.

But Portland? Oh sure, it’s got some Brooklyn  and Queens influence, but so much more! The L Train is based on Chicagos train system. The port is based on the port in Leeds Scotland near the IRL game studio. The Red Light district is based on The Block in Baltimore. And Saint Marks is based on areas in Manhattan. It’s a fusion of 3 different NYC Burroughs, plus influence from Chicago, Baltimore, and even Leeds Scotland

• Like 3

universetwisters

I think Portland is a pretty cool island. eh good design and doesnt afraid of anything

• Like 2
  • YEE 1

sTgL5iS.png

TaylorSwiftDies2038

Portland has that "vibe" for lack of a better term. I love the big-city Northeast feel. New York, Philly, Baltimore, and Boston all combined in one borough. It's the most down-to-earth area of the game.

• Like 2

Anywhere USA

It was also developed first by quite a bit. ALL the Alpha era footage is from Portland, which was seemingly completed by January 2001. Staunton doesn't show up until Late June solidly in the later half of the Beta Era

3 hours ago, TaylorSwiftDies2038 said:

Portland has that "vibe" for lack of a better term. I love the big-city Northeast feel. New York, Philly, Baltimore, and Boston all combined in one borough. It's the most down-to-earth area of the game.

Yeah. It's a mix of Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Baltimore, Chicago, Leeds, and probably a touch of a few others

TaylorSwiftDies2038

It was an era when Rockstar weren't too specific about re-creating cities, though Liberty City did kinda get retconned later in the 3D Universe to be that universe's version of New York, and to be fair it is mostly New York/New Jersey based.

It's funny because Saint's Row's Stilwater more or less follows the classic GTA city design, with areas being defined as commercial, industrial, or residential, though Stilwater was more sub-divided into specific areas like the Suburbs District, University District, Factories District, etc.

Lioshenka

Portland is my favourite island too, because it feels like my home city, and it's halfway across the globe.

It's a place where you want to live. The other two islands are nice too, but I'd like visiting them more, rather than living in them.

• 3 weeks later...

Portland love is in the air. :D Portland is also my favorite part of town. It's a shame it's hard to hang around there after killing Salvatore. Only mods can help.

oWCVl1l.png

Like the classic GTA games?          Play The Chain Game!

cant remember

Crazy that eventually Trenton and the docks are basically the only areas left where no gangs attack you.

TaylorSwiftDies2038

Something no one else has mentioned is that I really like the "foresty" vibe of Portland. There are areas with lots of greenery and trees, it makes it feel more like a small town than a big city at times :D like Harwood is the kind of place that looks like high school kids would hang out on their break. The gloomy atmosphere makes the greenery look even better.

• 2 months later...
Funktipus
On 2/4/2024 at 5:36 PM, TaylorSwiftDies2038 said:

Co-sign x 100! One of my favorite things to do is cruise around Portland on a gray day listening to Lucy's "Forever". That song just fits.