Playa2 theory

DespicableItalian

DespicableItalian

My first thread on the forum and I apologize if it's redundant. :)

So I wrote about this once, years ago, on some Discord but it went unnoticed. I'm hoping for more thoughts here so here it goes:

I think that originally Claude was going to change more outfits through the game, like the prison outfit from the start. These could be mission specific or something like they later implemented in Vice City.

I believe the Playa2 skin was originally going to be used in the "Waka-Gashira Wipeout!" mission for Donald Love where we have to kill Kenji Kasen while driving a Cartel Cruiser. I think the original idea was to have Claude disguise himself as Miguel and kill Kenji but, probably after dropping the idea of changing outfits, they decided to just have him drive the gang car and the skin remained in the game.

Two things that lead me to believe this:

1. Claude looks very close the original artwork of Miguel (which could also mean that this was present in an early stage of development) and still looks very similar to the in-game model of Miguel.

2. In the mission "Grand Theft Aero", after Miguel is wounded, Asuka accuses Miguel personally of killing her brother and after he denies it she says: "...we all saw(!) the cartel assassin.". If they SAW him then they would know it was Claude. Unless, Claude was disguised as Miguel. The mission also feels awkward if you equip the playa2 skin lol.

What do you guys think?

Miguel artwork

Playa2

Edited by DespicableItalian
added links
  • Like 3

CrashGordon94

I never heard anything about clothing changes being planned and I heard a bunch about development of the game. But outside of that, I could definitely see it.

ClickSlick

I think the DMA boys needed a skin to test the skin changing feature on the PC version so that's how Playa2 came about.

Besides, the whole concept behind that was the character of Claude being a vessel for the player, like Gordon Freeman. That's why he didn't even have a name at the time.

Rockstar doesn't care about canon like the community does. That's why they were so vague with the "he may or may not be named Claude Speed" for the 10th anniversary. The naming in San Andreas probably came around people got so desperate to give him a name and found one in III's GXT. I don't really believe that the protag in III was ever supposed to actually be Claude, that was just a remnant of a naming system like they had in GTA and London. III was all about experimentation hence the drastic changes over the course of its development.

• 1 month later...
cant remember

I think Asuka just means they all clearly saw it was a cartel cruiser.  I never really thought of it that way. It's definitely interesting how much Playa2 skin looks like Miguel in a way

TaylorSwiftDies2038

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they had wanted to experiment with some kind of wardrobe feature that would eventually come to fruition in GTA: Vice City.

Perhaps it was always meant to be that way. The textures were readily available so that players could modify them as they saw fit.

• 1 month later...
Gabacola
On 2/1/2024 at 4:15 AM, DespicableItalian said:

I believe the Playa2 skin was originally going to be used in the "Waka-Gashira Wipeout!" mission for Donald Love where we have to kill Kenji Kasen while driving a Cartel Cruiser. I think the original idea was to have Claude disguise himself as Miguel and kill Kenji

That would make even more sense that Donald Love learned that from Avery itself