GTA LCS on PS3 as PS2 classics version changes?

GuNNer123

GuNNer123

Hey everyone, i am considering on getting it as PS2 classic on the PS3 but i do wonder why is that difference in both versions and different publisher of the game.

Is there some kind of changes between pal and ntsc version? since its from 2 publishers.

Image - changelog LCS

Moncastler

I don't think there are differences between the original PS2 and the PS3 release. As for PAL vs NTSC it's just going to be the usual resolution/framerate difference that could be seen with the PS2 release. Ideally you always want to pick the NTSC version for its better framerate but, considering that the PS3 is region locked when it comes to PS2 and PS1 games and that I think you're in Europe, PAL might be the only option for you... Unless you have a jailbroken console that can play games from other regions.

But my advice is: don't even bother with the PS2 Classics version of LCS. All other 3D GTAs run fine on PS3 with software emulation, but the framerate in LCS goes to the low 10s very frequently, seems like playing in slow motion. I imagine a LCS disc running on a HW backwards compatible model is fine, but the PS2 Classics version is IMO the worst way of playing LCS.

• Like 2

GuNNer123
Posted (edited)

I do see and i understand the issue, might be i drop the LCS as ps2 classic. I might consider buying GTA VC still as its removed from the store in EU. But im not quite sure for the region lock thing, digitally ? i mean if you play it from US account and PS3 is not region locked itself, how would that be a problem tho? :) PS2 discs are locked its true but im not sure as said if digitally works by same way.

btw in the EU store can be bought still as PS2 classic LCS but also on PSP, but at that point im not sure if its worth it or just buy it for the PSP as UMD disc.

Edited by GuNNer123

Moncastler

You're right, basically all PS2 Classics don't have region locks. The restriction is only applied to discs (but you would need a HW backwards compatible model).

The PS2 port of LCS was far from great, but I still think that's the best version to play. From top to bottom I would say:

1. PS2 disc on PS2 Emulator (PCSX2)

2. PSP version on PSP Emulator (PPSSPP)

3. PS2 disc on a PS2

4. PSP version

5. Android / iOS port

6. PS2 Classics on PS3

If you can't play the PS2 version on the emulator or on native hardware, then yeah I would probably pick the PSP version.

Edited by Moncastler

GuNNer123

Ive been considering it actually the stuff with emulator. I have a slim after all so i can play some games in there ( havent bought LCS and VCS, still) physically. 

As far as im aware - copyright wise :D, original bios from slim i own - check, original iso from me extracted from a ps2 disc, personal use - should be no issues whatsoever emulating. 

I am considering also backing up to have iso and play it on PS2 emulator of GTA III as well as i do have the 'buggy' but still fun v1.40 from the first releases.

Moncastler

Yup, if you have dumped the BIOS and created an ISO file from your disc, you're pretty much golden and ready to play :)

It is by far the best way, the emulator is still not 100% perfect (text in particular will have some minor scaling issues) but the framerate should always be locked to 30 or 25 FPS.

I suggest using the dev version of PCSX2, the stable build is very outdated and it still has ancient plugins and UI. Use Vulkan if your GPU supports it, it's the best for accuracy and performance... Otherwise OpenGL is great for accuracy but not great for performance, DX11 / DX12 should be the opposite. There's also Software render which should give you an exact replica of the PS2 image, but of course you won't be able to du any upscaling or use anisotropic filters.

I forgot to mention it (I'll immediately edit my previous comment), but there's also the PSP emulator that is used quite frequently. PPSSPP is very light on resources, you can consider using it if your PC isn't running PCSX2 smoothly.

GuNNer123

I will be looking at both soon and ways to extract bios from my slim as well. I have issues with main PC currently so its not in its working state haha :D. But its powerful one should be able to handle ps2 emulator or psp - its 5600x + 6650XT. 

Im on hunt for VCS and of course original PAL vice city but black case - as its the one version i need as iso from. Blue one is still pretty fine but missing ''in the night' and some other small stuff.