Positive effects games have on us?

CGVega

I made a video (below)  on what I think is positive effects games had on me. 

I wanted to make this a series, like how it improved driving, teaches gun mechanics... 

Anyone else notice similar effects?

Edited by CGVega

• 3 months later...
TaylorSwiftDies2038

This sounds weird, but in a cosmic sense, Grand Theft Auto had a positive effect on me in terms of creativity.

GTA modding got me to pursue digital art casually (which helped me graduate college), and I also got inspired to make my own music mixes when modding the sh*t out of GTA 3's radio MP3 files.

So yeah, thanks GTA for being a creative outlet!

LowTierDude

Wouldnt have learned how to hotwire my first car without playing this game.

Ballbreaker_

You can learn a lot with videogames. RDR/RDR2 awakened my interested in Westerns and the history of the Old West in general. I'd be clueless about the subject if it wasn't for these games.

• Like 2

NightmanCometh96

I can't say I've learned any life skills per se, but SF-UR is how I discovered and got into house and electronic music. I probably never would have found out about it otherwise, since it doesn't seem to be that popular around the part of the US where I live. :sadkek:

Spoiler

Weirdly enough, King of the Hill of all things, helped with this as well; although not to the extent that GTA has. Gypsy Woman by Crystal Waters plays in the episode where Bobby becomes a fat kid model (:kekw:). I looked it up on Pandora Radio (this was back in 2010. Spotify was a thing, but I wasn't aware of it yet), and that pretty much kickstarted my interest in 90s eurodance. It's a shame that GTA V relegated the genre to just a few random songs on Non-Stop Pop (the station in general is as disjointed as it is due to going through several genre shifts throughout the game's development), but I digress.

And of course, The Journey got me into ambient music; Tangerine Dream and Aphex Twin specifically. I'm glad the former was able to work on V's score before Edgar Froese passed away.

Edited by NightmanCometh96
  • Like 1

AnythingGoner

GTA unironically taught me more life lessons than my parents ever did.

GhettoJesus

GTA broadened my English vocab and was an extra resource for learning English. Plus, it introduced me to the works of amazing artists.

K2yjoYK.png

TaylorSwiftDies2038
14 hours ago, Ballbreaker_ said:

You can learn a lot with videogames. RDR/RDR2 awakened my interested in Westerns and the history of the Old West in general. I'd be clueless about the subject if it wasn't for these games.

It sounds weird, but the inclusion of the Haitians gang in GTA Vice City actually got me kinda interested in learning more about Haiti and real Haitian people which ended up being pretty cool. 

• Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1

• 2 months later...

GTA has made me more open minded to different perspectives, different cultures and different kinds of music. I went from only listening to two radio stations to 13 radio stations in the 8 years of playing GTA V. I also learned more song titles thanks form GTA.  GTA has made me interested into architectural design and the age of buildings.  I also think GTA has help me spell better. There's more that I don't want to type about or know don't how to explain them. 

Edited by JE77

My interest for video games, specifically the GTA franchise made me improve my English skills amongst other things.

Lemoyne outlaw
On 4/4/2024 at 10:51 PM, TaylorSwiftDies2038 said:

It sounds weird, but the inclusion of the Haitians gang in GTA Vice City actually got me kinda interested in learning more about Haiti and real Haitian people which ended up being pretty cool. 

the same happened to me. only it was red dead redemption 2 that inspired my interest in Haiti. hercule was one of my favorite side characters. and because of him i wanted to learn more about his country. and eventually it made me interested in the Caribbean as a whole.

• 4 weeks later...
E Revere

I owe my musical taste to GTA VC. I can barely listen to anything other than 80's electronic pop.

universetwisters

When I was a kid I was infatuated with the fold out maps that came with III and Vice City. I would try to find my current location on the fold out map, pick a spot I wanted to go to, and use the map to get there. I felt like my father using a road atlas during long road trips and I got all giddy and proud with myself when I got where I wanted to go with the map. Eventually I stopped using the map and picked up on physical landmarks to get where I wanted to go. If I was at Salvatore's mansion and I wanted to go to the car dealership, I'd pull out and take a right, follow the curved road to the first intersection, etc. etc.

I've been delivering pizza for almost a decade now and I'd be lying if I didn't attribute my navigational skills and ability to get from A to B without having to look at a GPS to what I learned from GTA as a child

• Like 3

sTgL5iS.png

Certainly my musical taste. Especially the radios from GTAs Vice City and Vice City Stories. And the rock from K-DST.

I also learned the devastating effect of drugs with GTA San Andreas (funny because if I had played Chinatown first, the timeline would be different lol).

And finally, I learned that life is complicated thanks to Niko Bellic (it's not exactly good, but it's realistic).

propanecocaine71

Gta helped me learn to read military time at a very young age, also literature terms like protagonist and antagonist. 

• Realistic Steak! 2