Trilogy Definitive Edition OUT NOW on Mobile via Netflix

Mattmo831

The-Ghost
1 hour ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

potential IV/MP3/RDR2/etc. rereleases would be similarly barebones/unambitious in scope

I just want to be able to play IV without having to take a single look at its directory files, it's really annoying.

I had it all set up and fixed with the necessary mods a few months ago, I made sure to cancel an update on the launcher so it doesn't mess it up, only for me to forget to do it last week, now my game is "updated" and I am just too annoyed to have to go through the process all over again just to play it properly.

Max Payne 3 on modern consoles would be brilliant though.

• Like 1

DUNK512
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Moncastler said:

I think it's also in Sony's best interests to have all Rockstar PS2 games part of their classic catalogue, even "minor" games like Red Dead Revolver, Bully and Max Payne would be major sellers. The OG Trilogy though, yeah, probably not going to happen.

All of these game are already on PS5

including the OG trilogy.

Edited by DUNK512

Moncastler
44 minutes ago, DUNK512 said:

All of these game are already on PS5

including the OG trilogy.

Yes, but:

- You can't buy the OG PS2 Trilogy anymore

- All those games run on the old PS2 emulator, which has frame-pacing issues on PS4 / PS5 and graphical issues on PS5

• Like 1

DUNK512
2 minutes ago, Moncastler said:

Yes, but:

- You can't buy the OG PS2 Trilogy anymore

- All those games run on the old PS2 emulator, which has frame-pacing issues on PS4 / PS5 and graphical issues on PS5

Yeah but how do you know this new emulator is going to be better than the old one?

pretty sure it’s developed by the same people too.

Moncastler
53 minutes ago, DUNK512 said:

Yeah but how do you know this new emulator is going to be better than the old one?

pretty sure it’s developed by the same people too.

I mean, if it's new it must be better... Otherwise they would have kept the old one 😄

This new emulator also has some new features from my understanding (like save states) to bring it in line with PS1 and PSP emulators.

• Like 2

jdfsociety
17 hours ago, Moncastler said:

I mean, if it's new it must be better...

The DE trilogy is newer than the OG trilogy and leagues worse...just saying :shillkek:

• KEKW 3

Spider-Vice

re: removed post just now

Let's not share random Mediafire .exe urls unless you can prove it's the actual mod (by linking to a Discord, a website, a thread, etc)

image.png

GTANet | Red Dead Network | 🌲

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

the beginning is moments ago, the end is moments away 

• 3 weeks later...
FulVal85
3 hours ago, GameBunny77 said:

And R* still wont update the games on Pc and on consoles to the version that is released on Netflix android version, absolutely r**ded.

Sometimes i see beta updates on steamdb, we have to wait for now

It doesn't matter ... even with the fixes from the Netflix version these 'remasters' are beyond repair. They just suck and I wish they'd have just ported the original PS2 releases to modern platforms instead of this crap.

Edited by Emmi

RecklessGlue540
On 5/29/2024 at 11:37 PM, Moncastler said:

and graphical issues on PS5

Huuh... So the PS2 emulated GTA Trilogy proves to have graphical issues on PS5 as well? I thought only Manhunt and maybe one other game had 'em...

Moncastler
On 6/20/2024 at 8:22 AM, victm92 said:

30 million downloads! 

I think these numbers perfectly summarize why Rockstar doesn't care about brining LCS and VCS to modern platforms. Sure, 30M downloads are a lot, but:

- These games are free, and they're without a doubt the best that Netflix can offer

- GTA SA has a 6:1 download ratio compared to GTA III, meaning that these numbers are massively pumped up by the general audience that only heard about GTA SA

I don't know how many subscriber Netflix has and I have even less of an idea about the percentage of them interested in gaming... But if free III and VC can barely reach 10M downloads, how can modern ports of LCS and VCS be worth the investment for Rockstar?

6 minutes ago, RecklessGlue540 said:

Huuh... So the PS2 emulated GTA Trilogy proves to have graphical issues on PS5 as well? I thought only Manhunt and maybe one other game had 'em...

I was referring to the PS2 emulator on PS5 in general, I actually don't know if the Trilogy is also affected. I had the chance of playing them for a bit on a PS5 and they looked normal at a first glance, but I had a few crashes.

• Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1

NightmanCometh96

I haven’t done full playthroughs of the PS4 emulated Trilogy since they first came out (although I do mess around in free roam every now and then). I recall reading somewhere that the performance of the emulator (in general, not just the GTA games) is worse on PS4 Pro and PS5, but since I no longer have either PS4 model to compare with my PS5, I can’t vouch for that info first-hand. 

Believe it or not, though, the Trilogy is not the worst-running set of games on the PS2-on-PS4 emulator, at least in my personal experience. That honor goes to the Metal Slug Anthology. There is so much input delay that the games are virtually unplayable, and this is coming from someone who normally never “notices” input lag (even in games that are infamous for it, such as both volumes of the Mega Man X Legacy Collection); that’s not something you want in a collection of Neo-Geo shooters that are already known for their difficulty. Once I had gotten used to the poorly-frame paced 30FPS, the OG GTA Trilogy was at least tolerable enough for me to go for the platinum trophy in all three games.

Spoiler

The “Take the Cannoli” trophy in VC was an absolute nightmare to get, though. I have my issues with GSG’s work on the DE (a whole laundry list of them!), but IMO, they were right to “nerf” the requirements for the Godfather criminal rating.

• Like 2

Moncastler
27 minutes ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

I haven’t done full playthroughs of the PS4 emulated Trilogy since they first came out (although I do mess around in free roam every now and then). I recall reading somewhere that the performance of the emulator (in general, not just the GTA games) is worse on PS4 Pro and PS5, but since I no longer have either PS4 model to compare with my PS5, I can’t vouch for that info first-hand. 

The time I played them on PS5 they felt horrible, performance was all over the place... I can't exactly remember how they felt on PS4 as it's been like 5-6 years at this point, but I think they played better.

In any casa, a cheap PC running PCSX2 gets the job done in a much better way. Hell, even a non backwards compatible PS3 is probably a bit better than PS4 / PS5, unless you want to play LCS :)

47 minutes ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

The “Take the Cannoli” trophy in VC was an absolute nightmare to get, though. I have my issues with GSG’s work on the DE (a whole laundry list of them!), but IMO, they were right to “nerf” the requirements for the Godfather criminal rating.

I don't agree, I enjoyed so much grinding to 10.000.000$ and leaving my console on overnight with a Sparrow shooting an exploded bus. My poor controller was also of the same idea :kekw:

• Like 1

NightmanCometh96
On 6/23/2024 at 5:29 PM, Moncastler said:

I don't agree, I enjoyed so much grinding to 10.000.000$ and leaving my console on overnight with a Sparrow shooting an exploded bus. My poor controller was also of the same idea :kekw:

Just overnight is admittedly better than what I did. By the time I realized what getting the Godfather rating entailed (and learning what the less time-consuming method to earn it was), I had just gotten 100% completion. I was too "lazy" to start a new playthrough solely to grind Cone Crazy and collect enough packages a second time to spawn the Sea Sparrow (even though that would have technically been the faster way to do it). Instead, I put a rubber band on my controller to hold down R1 and left my PS4 on for a week! :sadkek:

On 6/23/2024 at 5:29 PM, Moncastler said:

The time I played them on PS5 they felt horrible, performance was all over the place... I can't exactly remember how they felt on PS4 as it's been like 5-6 years at this point, but I think they played better.

In any casa, a cheap PC running PCSX2 gets the job done in a much better way. Hell, even a non backwards compatible PS3 is probably a bit better than PS4 / PS5, unless you want to play LCS :)

Yeah, in the rare circumstance that I do play the OGs on PS5, they do seem to run worse than I remember; but even so, I couldn't tell you how much of that is placebo and that I've simply grown more and more used to 60+FPS as the years have gone by, or if the emulator legitimately has better performance on base PS4. And the PS2 version of LCS runs terribly on real hardware regardless of what you're playing it on. I've tried the PS2 Classic version on multiple phat and slim PS3s; as well as the original disc on a PS2 and various phat backwards-compatible PS3s. (The launch models had actual PS2 hardware, some later phats used software-based BC, and any phat made after the MGS4 bundle came out in 2008 did not have PS2 BC at all, aside from what you could buy on PSN. I currently use a Frankenstein CECHA01 with the GPU swapped for a more efficient 40nm one taken from a Super Slim. It’s worth looking into if you have a BC PS3 that you want to preserve, as they’re notoriously prone to YLOD failures. Fair warning, though: it's pretty expensive, especially if you buy one pre-modded like I did). It's the same slideshow frame rate on everything. VCS also runs pretty badly on PS3, as does the digital PSP version when played on an unmodded Vita (the version sold on PSN seems to have been using a compressed .iso/.cso). Neither of them are LCS PS2 bad, but both are still far from a locked 30FPS.

Even on PSP, I remember there being some performance/streaming issues when playing on the actual UMD. It really only runs at a consistent 30FPS if you have an uncompressed .iso file on your memory stick and the system is overclocked (better yet, play it on a hacked Vita with TheOfficialFloW's right analog stick plugin). It's a shame that the only legal way to play the game with decent performance these days is the mobile version on on iOS/Android with some sort of gamepad; but LCS Mobile has its own share of problems, even though I don't think Lucid Games did as poor of a job with it as GSG did with SA Mobile and the DE. And, while I understand why, it's also criminal that VCS didn't get a 10th anniversary rerelease.

EDIT: Digital Foundry's analysis of the PS2 and PSP emulators on PS5 (skip to 9:26 if the timestamp doesn't work). Aside from save-states and a rewind feature, it seems to be a mediocre offering compared to PC emulation (and even running the original hardware at native res on a RetroTINK-4K), sadly. :/

Edited by NightmanCometh96
Added DF's analysis of the retro PS emulators on PS5.
  • Like 3

GameBunny77
On 6/23/2024 at 10:38 PM, FulVal85 said:

Sometimes i see beta updates on steamdb, we have to wait for now

The fact that all the three Trilogy games are updating at the same time more or less gives me the impression that these are not game specific improvements and might  not therefore be related to the minor improvements we saw in the NextFlix releases. This to me therefore looks like something they are changing that is common to all three games, so something very trivial in nature like may be the way three three games interact with the launcher etc. So nothing to get our hopes high to be honest IMHO, the Netflix minor level fixes are not coming the way I see it. 

• Like 2

NightmanCometh96

Here's a written article of DF's take on the PS5 emulators for anyone interested. As mentioned earlier, it unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired.  Still, if the OG Trilogy and/or Stories games made it to the new emulator, they couldn't be any worse than the console/PC versions of the DE, though. That said, it's nice that there's now an option for PAL users to switch to the NTSC versions (for newly added games, not the GTA titles, before misinterprets what I wrote); every PS2 game released on the old emulator forced those regions to settle for 50hz stuck in a 60hz container (which I imagine only further exacerbates the frame pacing issues). That's still a problem with the new emulator, but at least everyone now has the ability to play the 60hz versions if they want to.

21 hours ago, GameBunny77 said:

The fact that all the three Trilogy games are updating at the same time more or less gives me the impression that these are not game specific improvements and might  not therefore be related to the minor improvements we saw in the Netflix releases. This to me therefore looks like something they are changing that is common to all three games, so something very trivial in nature like may be the way three three games interact with the launcher etc. So nothing to get our hopes high to be honest IMHO, the Netflix minor level fixes are not coming the way I see it. 

It's absolutely the right move to not expect anything substantial to come of whatever the heck has been going on with the SteamDB movement over the past 1.5-ish years. Unless R* is waiting until December to bring the VGD updates to other platforms (i.e. around a year after the mobile DE was released, the same tactic they seem to be doing with the PC port of RDR1), but I still wouldn't get my hopes up for that, let alone relisting the OG Trilogy in any shape or form (outside of the RGL link). They made their money with the cash-grab release and never looked back, fundamental issues still plaguing the non-mobile versions be damned. Realistically, if there is any change, it will probably be something that the end user will never notice; like correcting a typo in a single, random developer comment within the codebase. :kekw:

• Like 1

Once upon a time they created a remake that everyone later looked up to. Now apparently they are creating the best remaster
But, unfortunately, when it comes to Rockstar games, this can only be a dream. To dream of such a quality remaster (you can forget about remakes from them. And they will spend a lot of time on them)
After such a fix for smartphones, it really seems like a drop in the ocean; to get a high-quality remaster you need a lot more.
By the way, they update them quite often (in a closed area), judging by steam db, almost every week.

• Like 1

Lock n' Stock
Posted (edited)

Damn man, has it really been nearly 3 years since this fiasco?

I mean, there isn't really a reason to be mad about it anymore, what's done is done. However, I'm still baffled to this day as to exactly just what the hell happened here. Like, I know it's possible that Take-Two probably forced Rockstar to put this thing out, but it's crazy to me that they were so upfront about not only promoting it, but releasing it in the state it was in. Did it not occur to them that the quality was just flat-out unacceptable (especially compared to their usual standards)? Did they not even stop to consider the damage it would have on their brand name? I guess it doesn't really matter in the long-term, since all it really takes for people to start fellating them again is by announcing a new GTA or Red Dead. Boom. All is forgiven.

Between this and the GTA+ announcement, this chapter was really a new low for them. With GTA VI on the horizon, I suppose that all they can really do is go up from here.

Edited by Lock n' Stock

NightmanCometh96
Posted (edited)

The silver lining is that the DE’s overwhelmingly negative reception seems to have spooked R*/T2 enough to handle future rereleases differently. While I do think a bit more could have been done with the RDR1 ports (especially for the $50 asking price. Even E&E retails for $40 when it’s not on sale!) hopefully the positive response to Double Eleven’s efforts can convince them to give whatever the next port/remaster/etc. is (likely GTA IV) a larger budget and more time in the oven.

A part of me does want to move on from this entire debacle. And I suppose I really should; like you said, it’s been almost three years now. But by the same token, GTA III, VC and SA are some of my favorite video games of all time. Even today, I am astonished, disappointed and frustrated that R*/T2 were perfectly okay with treating the Trilogy the way they did. That would be fine if the originals were still easily accessible on modern platforms (much like what Konami is doing with MGS3 and its upcoming remake). But no, they went out of their way delist the originals so that consumers would have no choice but to get their broken mobile ports; short of getting a used console (or just buying and downgrading the OGs via the RGL, to be fair), those are the versions that most people will be stuck with from now on. That’s still the thing that gets me the most about this situation. These games were enough of an influence on the industry that they deserve more respect than that, even if there’s no use crying over milk that has long since spilled. 

I do think the Netflix/mobile versions have breathed more life into this discussion than they ought to have, though. But at the end of the day, it shows that R*/T2 could have done much more to get the console and PC versions to a reasonable state if they wanted to. And they’ve clearly shown that they’re not interested in doing that; I’d be more than happy to be proven wrong, but anyone that is still expecting classic lighting/bug-fixes/grammar corrections/etc. to be brought over to other platforms is just setting themselves up for disappointment. Even taking the small size of Video Games Deluxe into consideration, I just think R*/T2 would have incorporated the mobile changes by now if they had any plans to do so.

Denwda
On 7/7/2024 at 12:00 PM, NightmanCometh96 said:

The silver lining is that the DE’s overwhelmingly negative reception seems to have spooked R*/T2 enough to handle future rereleases differently. While I do think a bit more could have been done with the RDR1 ports (especially for the $50 asking price. Even E&E retails for $40 when it’s not on sale!) hopefully the positive response to Double Eleven’s efforts can convince them to give whatever the next port/remaster/etc. is (likely GTA IV) a larger budget and more time in the oven.

A part of me does want to move on from this entire debacle. And I suppose I really should; like you said, it’s been almost three years now. But by the same token, GTA III, VC and SA are some of my favorite video games of all time. Even today, I am astonished, disappointed and frustrated that R*/T2 were perfectly okay with treating the Trilogy the way they did. That would be fine if the originals were still easily accessible on modern platforms (much like what Konami is doing with MGS3 and its upcoming remake). But no, they went out of their way delist the originals so that consumers would have no choice but to get their broken mobile ports; short of getting a used console (or just buying and downgrading the OGs via the RGL, to be fair), those are the versions that most people will be stuck with from now on. That’s still the thing that gets me the most about this situation. These games were enough of an influence on the industry that they deserve more respect than that, even if there’s no use crying over milk that has long since spilled. 

I do think the Netflix/mobile versions have breathed more life into this discussion than they ought to have, though. But at the end of the day, it shows that R*/T2 could have done much more to get the console and PC versions to a reasonable state if they wanted to. And they’ve clearly shown that they’re not interested in doing that; I’d be more than happy to be proven wrong, but anyone that is still expecting classic lighting/bug-fixes/grammar corrections/etc. to be brought over to other platforms is just setting themselves up for disappointment. Even taking the small size of Video Games Deluxe into consideration, I just think R*/T2 would have incorporated the mobile changes by now if they had any plans to do so.

Video Games Deluxe  They are still working on Rockstar games, they have recently confirmed this themselves. The changes that are on smartphones can be transferred very quickly to other platforms, BUT there are very few of them. The fact that they began to look watchable on smartphones does not mean that they will look good on large platforms. Many textures and skins need to be redone here.
SteamDB updated every week. And no, it's not a launcher. Since the update is specifically for the trilogy. The only thing is that you are right and it is better not to wait for anything in this direction, it just does not negate the fact that the work can be carried out now!

• Like 1

FulVal85
Posted (edited)

I think that we have to wait until at least december for that update...

Edited by FulVal85