Tommy's mentors/father figures, men he respected

salazarcosplay

salazarcosplay

I was thinking about Vice City.  Do you think Avery Carrington should have played a bigger part in Vice City. He had dedicated art in the loading screen.

These were men to whom Tommy paid attention to and would listen to carefully, men to whom Tommy showed respect to. I perceived them as being sorts of mentor's, sort of father figures to Tommy, whose wisdom he would respect, or was at least respectful of them to hear them out. He also invited Avery to show him the mansion when he took it from Diaz.

Avery Carrington, Colonel Cortez, and Earnest Kelly from the printing press.  I had the impression that Tommy didn't spend as  much time with his dad as he would have liked because he had gone into a life of crime, then he was in prison. I think maybe helping these guys out helped Tommy experience closure from not having his dad around anymore.

I think this theme was sort of the basis for Michael helping out Franklin in GTA V.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
Legomanarthur

I share your sentiment.

The game seems to hint that Tommy lacked a father figure and respected people who showed some form of authority. People such as Earnest Kelly, or Doris (who I just learned was voiced by none other than Debbie Harry) had Tommy's attention and respect, they taught him a few things about their respective business too and Tommy was willing to take a step back and listen. It's a fairly minor thing and the game doesn't really delve into that subject but I kind of liked that about Tommy.

As for Avery, I have a feeling that his role wasn't as big because of Burt Reynolds being rather difficult to work with. I remember reading that he and one of the Houser brothers almost got into a fight during a recording session. I guess that's why Avery was killed so unceremoniously in LCS.

fJEUkTi.png

salazarcosplay
3 hours ago, Legomanarthur said:

I share your sentiment.

The game seems to hint that Tommy lacked a father figure and respected people who showed some form of authority. People such as Earnest Kelly, or Doris (who I just learned was voiced by none other than Debbie Harry) had Tommy's attention and respect, they taught him a few things about their respective business too and Tommy was willing to take a step back and listen. It's a fairly minor thing and the game doesn't really delve into that subject but I kind of liked that about Tommy.

As for Avery, I have a feeling that his role wasn't as big because of Burt Reynolds being rather difficult to work with. I remember reading that he and one of the Houser brothers almost got into a fight during a recording session. I guess that's why Avery was killed so unceremoniously in LCS.

1st of all thankyou for responding to my most.  Glad you share the sentiment.

I had forgotten about Doris, and I did not know she had been voiced by Debbie Harry.

I definitely loved the song Debbie Harry Heart Glass, and One way or another!

I definitely remember the songs for Debbie Harry Heart Glass and One way or another from Donnie Brasco. 

Heart of Glass being the song that plays in the yatch scene in Donnie Brasco.

I think the scene Sonny tells Donnie Brasco. "I want you to represent me and be my man in Florida", was one of the leading themes of Vice City, about the Mafiosi, the Mafia expanding their horizons.  

Even though Debbie's songs came out in 1978, I definitely think hers songs set the pace 80s.