Why was GTA 3 not ever redone with the game engine and mechanics of San Andreas?

salazarcosplay

salazarcosplay

Vice City was build upon 3, and San Andreas was built upon Vice City. You can see the progressive evolution in game mechanics as you play all 3. It seemed to me that when Rockstar was developing the games they could have very easily redone the game with newer mechanics after making San Andreas, and perfecting the 3d-era engine. They could have done patches or updates.

Why should they have especially cared when they were hyperfocused on the next generation of systems? I can see this argument being made for Liberty City Stories (although that game was in development before San Andreas came out, so I see why it was built upon Vice City instead)

They've done it literally a couple of years ago.

It was a disaster, but they did it.

1 hour ago, Lioshenka said:

No they didn't. GTA 3 DE had no mechanics taken from SA. They hadn't even ported over SAs camera controls, which was the least they could've done

Edited by jaydeedilla

On 11/11/2023 at 5:49 PM, Lioshenka said:

It was not. It still had GTA III's engine.

Only the Unreal Engine was used for graphics.

salazarcosplay
On 11/11/2023 at 12:43 PM, jaydeedilla said:

No they didn't. GTA 3 DE had no mechanics taken from SA. They hadn't even ported over SAs camera controls, which was the least they could've done

It would have been great to port over the game with properties, assets, weapons, vehicles, vehicle modifications, updated odd jobs. Interior of buildings, clothes, ect from San Andreas, the eating mechanic too

Edited by salazarcosplay
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Evil empire

Fortunately GTA United sort of allows you to enjoy the setting of GTA 3 with SA's mechanics.

universetwisters

Why redo something that's already perfect?

• Like 1

sTgL5iS.png

TaylorSwiftDies2038
On 1/27/2024 at 1:48 AM, universetwisters said:

Why redo something that's already perfect?

Yeah. Something about GTA III's drawbacks and imperfections make it unique. I love how GTA III has that tense, fast-paced vibe of a dude living on the edge of society and taking jobs from random bosses, totally not controlling his destiny.

To be honest, if I did have to change GTA III in some way, I would just add a lot more interiors like restaurants, shops, gas stations, residential areas, etc to make the city feel more alive and interesting. But I wouldn't really want swimming, clothing, car customization, and that extra crap. GTA III isn't about that.

But what a GTA III remake really needs is a countryside...

thehambone

One technical reason could be that making updates for games back then was incredibly expensive because they had to print a whole new run of CDs, and not everyone would get an updated copy because they already had the game. But also Rockstar was focused on making the next game; why waste effort updating an old game?

TaylorSwiftDies2038
On 1/30/2024 at 11:19 PM, thehambone said:

One technical reason could be that making updates for games back then was incredibly expensive because they had to print a whole new run of CDs, and not everyone would get an updated copy because they already had the game. But also Rockstar was focused on making the next game; why waste effort updating an old game?

It's also unnatural for Rockstar to do something like that. Like GTA III to San Andreas is supposed to be a technological evolution.