Do you like the redesigned vehicles?

universetwisters

Do you like the redesigned vehicles?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the redesigned vehicles?

• Yes!!!!!
    • No!!!!!!
    • Only some!!!!

universetwisters

I think one of the best things in LCS was the redesigned vehicles. Even though only a few of them were, I think it really added to the atmosphere and gave the implication that these dumb pixels and polygons onscreen have existed long enough within the game world to have different generations across them. And I love them all!!!

There’s something about the new perennial that tickles my funny bone in a good way. It reminds me much more of old station wagons I’ve seen in my childhood moreso than the Chevy Nova looking one in previous games. The Landstalker? f*ck yeah, it’s finally a huge gas guzzling monster. The manana? As much as I love K Cars and hate to see it turn into some miata, it makes sense so I accept it.

What do y’all think about the redesigned cars in LCS?

• Like 3

sTgL5iS.png

Not all of them. Perennial specifically in LCS and VCS makes no sense to look like that considering how similar it looks in GTA 3, VC and SA:
Untitled.jpg

I don’t mind em. The vehicles in this game are really brilliant. Not just the design but IMO this game(if not San Andreas) has the best and most enjoyable driving in the series. There is a type of charming balance, not boat like in GTA IV and not weightless like in GTA V, while still feeling heavier than III and VC’s car physics.

The bike physics are not good, though I’ll give it a pass considering how brilliant the car physics are.

• Like 1

universetwisters
18 minutes ago, stef_92 said:

Not all of them. Perennial specifically in LCS and VCS makes no sense to look like that considering how similar it looks in GTA 3, VC and SA:
Untitled.jpg

Maybe I’m just biased cuz I grew up seeing the redesigned ones more but I much more like those perennials than the ones from III-SA. They’re sleek and low to the ground while the III Perennial looks like a wart

sTgL5iS.png

4 minutes ago, stef_92 said:

Untitled.jpg

I always thought that it was simply a way to show that the car has gone through different generations, same with all the other redesigned cars, and it also adds to the lore. It would've been boring having the same Perennial from the trilogy. Personally, I'm more a fan of the one in LCS/VCS.

I like all the cars in this game in general though, even the ones that mostly remain the same.

• YEE 1

3 hours ago, Krooked_ said:

I always thought that it was simply a way to show that the car has gone through different generations, same with all the other redesigned cars, and it also adds to the lore. It would've been boring having the same Perennial from the trilogy. Personally, I'm more a fan of the one in LCS/VCS.

I like all the cars in this game in general though, even the ones that mostly remain the same.

VCS takes place before VC so at least for that one - fair enough. But how do you explain the change of Perennial from SA to LCS and then GTA 3?

16 hours ago, stef_92 said:

VCS takes place before VC so at least for that one - fair enough. But how do you explain the change of Perennial from SA to LCS and then GTA 3?

I dunno, irl most people don't drive brand new cars and not every vehicle in the GTA games is from the year the game takes place. For example, iirc, the Bravado Banshee in IV is from around 2001 which makes it 7 years old during the events of the game.

Like I mentioned, imo it would've been boring having the same old Perennial from the trilogy yet again. It'd make it look like it's the only model in existence in the 3D universe.

21 hours ago, Krooked_ said:

Personally, I'm more a fan of the one in LCS/VCS.

The Stories' Perennial looks more sleeker than in the Trilogy games in general. They look absolute eat ass compared to the Stories one.

• Like 1

Going_To_Aruba_01

Was just thinking about this the other day.

I really like how they "90s-ified" the Kuruma, they did a really good job just by doing kinda minor changes like smoothing and flattening it out, making it even more rounded and less angular compared to how it is in III, and giving it squinitier headlights and an actual grille. I like how cars can actually come in all one colour like the Taxi spawning with yellow bumpers (as it was going to in III's beta) for example and again, the Kuruma, the Pony and Rumpo and other cars I'm probably forgetting. I feel like it helps spice up the traffic that appears and makes the normal grey bumpered civilian cars look like cheaper, almost lower trim level variants of the same car.

I like the sleek, black-out look of the Leone Sentinel and how (whether it was intentional or just because LCS is based on VC) it has the more powerful engine sound of the Sentinel XS, as that's basically what it is lol, and it helps differentiate it from the regular Sentinel even more, I just wish they'd keep the spoiler the same size as it was in III. Speaking of which, I like how they removed the diamond shaped emblems from the civilian Sentinel and put smaller square badges (like on the grille etc) and gave it more flat colours, it helps make it feel more cheap and sh*tty compared to its III counterpart and especially when compared to its Mafia/Leone counterparts.

The Yardie Lobo not having hydraulics and sounding like a Banshee doesn't really make sense (Maybe Toni doesn't know how to work them, or the Yardies started doing engine swaps in the 90's and thought hydraulics on that amount of power would be too unsafe lol) but atleast they repositioned the rear numberplate to fix that weird inconsistency when it's trunk lid gets damaged from III.

The Cartel Cruiser having red, taillight looking, fog lights is weird to say the least but kinda cool I guess. It having the lower power sounding, Taxi diesel engine sound sucks tho. That and technically, the Cartel shouldn't even be in this game as Joey Leone says they're "some new gang from Colombia" in III, but define how "new" I guess, but thats a rant for another time, and they spawn pretty scarcely anyways. The pinkey Patriots they use in the mission "Contra-Banned" (which also uses the Taxi engine sound rather than the Van engine sound like it does in III, funnily enough, but doesn't feel as off to me) could've been a cool gang car for them in LCS instead. 

My only real "complaints" would be how the Landstalker has a massive long ass that sticks out a mile, if they moved the rear wheels back under the trunk's side window it would look fine, but, yeah...  when I drive one after having not done in a while, it looks a bit odd at first, but I do like how it can appear with boxes or stuff in the back and I always have a dark red one saved at my Shoreside safehouse, as it reminds me of Tony Soprano's Chevy Suburban and his mansion, which suits Toni (especially in the Wiseguy or Goodfella outfit) to a T, no pun intended. 

The Manana's "nose" is a bit long at certain angles aswell imo. That, and it handles like a go-kart with the CORNERSLIKEMAD cheat on. Fast little car tho, especially compared to the other 3D games counterparts, just a bit of a deathtrap. The Perennial's wheels are a bit far in the wheelwells, but nowhere near as bad as on the levels of some of the cars in Vice City lol. And lastly the dirt on the cars in this game, which is cool that they were able to implement it, but unlike San Andreas, there's no real way to remove it and on some cars the placement can be odd, like on the Cabbie the dirt texture on the trunk looks like a mustache or pubes or something imo.

And the same argument that its strange how Toni's driving newer generations of older cars that Claude drives in the future. But the time gap between both games isn't THAT big and realistically these cars still exist obviously, Claude just never encounters them (and of course, they weren't designed irl yet.) And this is even negated a bit by having older style cars in LCS that seem to have vanished from Liberty's streets by 2001, like the Thunder-Rodd the Hellenbach GT and so on.

And could even be countered by it being an example of how bad Liberty City has gotten by the time Claude gets there, instead of everyone driving new Miata looking Mananas, everyone is driving their crappy old Reliant looking 80's gen ones, that even a mechanic like Joey doesn't mind chucking a dead Forelli in and wasting it in the crusher. Instead of driving 70's Perennials everybody has to cut costs and be driving slower, heavier 60's ones. Due to the inflation of III people are having to downsize and buy the newer, smaller Landstalker, etc. It helps set the tone of the 'sign of the times' feel that LCS has and shows how much from car face-lifts to life as a whole can change in such a short amount of time, especially in a big city like Liberty (or maybe im reading way too deep into this, im not sure lmao). 

The only thing that kinda weirds me out is the actual wheels themselves, like most of them are cool, but the "oldcar" wheels like the ones on the Stallion, Cabbie, Perennial etc are more modern looking hubcaps in LCS compared to the smooth steelie "hotrod" looking counterparts in III, its like the cab drivers and citizens of Liberty City just all reverted back to the wheels that came stock on their car some 40ish years ago one day lol.

And the big truck wheels, they look fine on a Patriot or Mule, but just look off on a Linerunner or Coach. Especially on PS2 as they have a bit of depth to their model and are more rounded. 

But for the most part I love how returning vehicles were given their own spin in LCS and how much it adds to the feel and "aesthetics" of the entire game and helps add variety to itself and add lore to III. 

I've got to stop with these big chunks of text 😅

Edited by Going_To_Aruba_01
  • Best Bru 3

• 3 months later...
On 9/23/2023 at 4:08 PM, stef_92 said:

although obviously it is only technical and aesthetic issues, some (not all) of the changes in these games

I have a small theory that well, I think it has already been discussed on multiple occasions in this forum but

we can say that in the lore possibly LC in the 3D universe really is a poor city compared to VC and the state of SA

I mean, it is the city with the fewest vehicles in the 3D saga, it is constantly on strike, it is in a constant economic crisis due to the events of GTA LCS that destroy a large part of Stauton, the destruction of several properties throughout the game and the beginning of marine pollution

and in GTA III it is almost the same where they rob a bank successfully on two occasions, the destruction of the Callahan bridge, the sinking of an entire ship controlled by the Colombians and a lot of destruction to many properties throughout the game and the constant spills of oil throughout the city

(I haven't played Gta Advance but I imagine it's the same as the other games)

It would not be strange that during the events from LCS to III the city had to start having to use old models again instead of continuing to modernize due to this economic crisis having to reduce costs

An example of this is having to reuse old vehicle models, for example the Manana '86 in 2001 when LCS had presented a new model for the year '96.

the disappearance of many vehicles that were around VC/SA and LC '96 due to the high import costs to this city

This is not only limited to vehicles, but also to famous brands. such as 24-7, Sprunk, Binco, Burger Shoot, Etc.

Although all this can easily be denied, it could also explain why by the year 2001 LC was completely isolated from the rest of its neighboring cities such as Carcer City, Vice City, Cottomount, Bullworth and the state of San Andreas.

On 9/24/2023 at 11:39 AM, Going_To_Aruba_01 said:

Was just thinking about this the other day.

I really like how they "90s-ified" the Kuruma, they did a really good job just by doing kinda minor changes like smoothing and flattening it out, making it even more rounded and less angular compared to how it is in III, and giving it squinitier headlights and an actual grille. I like how cars can actually come in all one colour like the Taxi spawning with yellow bumpers (as it was going to in III's beta) for example and again, the Kuruma, the Pony and Rumpo and other cars I'm probably forgetting. I feel like it helps spice up the traffic that appears and makes the normal grey bumpered civilian cars look like cheaper, almost lower trim level variants of the same car.

I like the sleek, black-out look of the Leone Sentinel and how (whether it was intentional or just because LCS is based on VC) it has the more powerful engine sound of the Sentinel XS, as that's basically what it is lol, and it helps differentiate it from the regular Sentinel even more, I just wish they'd keep the spoiler the same size as it was in III. Speaking of which, I like how they removed the diamond shaped emblems from the civilian Sentinel and put smaller square badges (like on the grille etc) and gave it more flat colours, it helps make it feel more cheap and sh*tty compared to its III counterpart and especially when compared to its Mafia/Leone counterparts.

The Yardie Lobo not having hydraulics and sounding like a Banshee doesn't really make sense (Maybe Toni doesn't know how to work them, or the Yardies started doing engine swaps in the 90's and thought hydraulics on that amount of power would be too unsafe lol) but atleast they repositioned the rear numberplate to fix that weird inconsistency when it's trunk lid gets damaged from III.

The Cartel Cruiser having red, taillight looking, fog lights is weird to say the least but kinda cool I guess. It having the lower power sounding, Taxi diesel engine sound sucks tho. That and technically, the Cartel shouldn't even be in this game as Joey Leone says they're "some new gang from Colombia" in III, but define how "new" I guess, but thats a rant for another time, and they spawn pretty scarcely anyways. The pinkey Patriots they use in the mission "Contra-Banned" (which also uses the Taxi engine sound rather than the Van engine sound like it does in III, funnily enough, but doesn't feel as off to me) could've been a cool gang car for them in LCS instead. 

My only real "complaints" would be how the Landstalker has a massive long ass that sticks out a mile, if they moved the rear wheels back under the trunk's side window it would look fine, but, yeah...  when I drive one after having not done in a while, it looks a bit odd at first, but I do like how it can appear with boxes or stuff in the back and I always have a dark red one saved at my Shoreside safehouse, as it reminds me of Tony Soprano's Chevy Suburban and his mansion, which suits Toni (especially in the Wiseguy or Goodfella outfit) to a T, no pun intended. 

The Manana's "nose" is a bit long at certain angles aswell imo. That, and it handles like a go-kart with the CORNERSLIKEMAD cheat on. Fast little car tho, especially compared to the other 3D games counterparts, just a bit of a deathtrap. The Perennial's wheels are a bit far in the wheelwells, but nowhere near as bad as on the levels of some of the cars in Vice City lol. And lastly the dirt on the cars in this game, which is cool that they were able to implement it, but unlike San Andreas, there's no real way to remove it and on some cars the placement can be odd, like on the Cabbie the dirt texture on the trunk looks like a mustache or pubes or something imo.

And the same argument that its strange how Toni's driving newer generations of older cars that Claude drives in the future. But the time gap between both games isn't THAT big and realistically these cars still exist obviously, Claude just never encounters them (and of course, they weren't designed irl yet.) And this is even negated a bit by having older style cars in LCS that seem to have vanished from Liberty's streets by 2001, like the Thunder-Rodd the Hellenbach GT and so on.

And could even be countered by it being an example of how bad Liberty City has gotten by the time Claude gets there, instead of everyone driving new Miata looking Mananas, everyone is driving their crappy old Reliant looking 80's gen ones, that even a mechanic like Joey doesn't mind chucking a dead Forelli in and wasting it in the crusher. Instead of driving 70's Perennials everybody has to cut costs and be driving slower, heavier 60's ones. Due to the inflation of III people are having to downsize and buy the newer, smaller Landstalker, etc. It helps set the tone of the 'sign of the times' feel that LCS has and shows how much from car face-lifts to life as a whole can change in such a short amount of time, especially in a big city like Liberty (or maybe im reading way too deep into this, im not sure lmao). 

The only thing that kinda weirds me out is the actual wheels themselves, like most of them are cool, but the "oldcar" wheels like the ones on the Stallion, Cabbie, Perennial etc are more modern looking hubcaps in LCS compared to the smooth steelie "hotrod" looking counterparts in III, its like the cab drivers and citizens of Liberty City just all reverted back to the wheels that came stock on their car some 40ish years ago one day lol.

And the big truck wheels, they look fine on a Patriot or Mule, but just look off on a Linerunner or Coach. Especially on PS2 as they have a bit of depth to their model and are more rounded. 

But for the most part I love how returning vehicles were given their own spin in LCS and how much it adds to the feel and "aesthetics" of the entire game and helps add variety to itself and add lore to III. 

I've got to stop with these big chunks of text 😅

As I said in my previous comment, these changes were made more than anything for technical and aesthetic reasons.

For example, the Voodoo and Yardie Wolf lost their characteristic hydraulic suspension system due to the limitation of controls on the PSP.

but for Lore matters, I suppose that after their respective gangs were fully established in the city they began to modify their vehicles to make them more striking.

but well, some of the redesigned vehicles in LCS that I liked in LCS are Landstalker, Perenial and the Stallion

and of the new vehicles added I really like the Forelli ExSess, Hearse, and V8 Ghost

• Like 1

cant remember

I like the redesigns, mainly because for the most part they made the cars more period correct. It had always bothered me how everyone seems to be driving 60's-70's cars in GTA3. Especially in Portland where the period-correct passenger cars like the Sentinel/Blista/Kuruma don't even spawn at all (besides exceptions), so to me it feels more like they 'fixed' that and it's more akin to what I imagined GTA3 traffic to be like before it came out.

• Like 1