PhD project on modding in the video game industry seeking modder and player to interview

NordSosiologen

NordSosiologen

Hi!

My name is Fredrik Weisethaunet and I am a PhD Candidate of Sociology at Nord University in Norway.

I am writing my PhD on the role of mods in the video game industry, with a focus on the relationships between modders, players and game developers. I am nearing the end of my data collection, but am still looking for one modder who has experience making mods for the GTA franchise, as well as one player who is playing games in the GTA franchise with mods. I am only interested in "traditional" mods, as in assets, vehicles, total conversions, weapons and so on. Mod menus for GTA:O is outside of the scope of this project.

The interview lasts for about one hour and will be conducted through Discord. Be aware that the interview will be recorded, but only to ensure that no data is lost during the transcription process. Once the interview has been transcribed, the recording will be deleted. You will have to be at least 18 years old to participate. The age limit is 18 years mainly because conducting studies on people who are legally considered minors requires special approval and would necessitate a research design where age would be a focal point. That is beyond the scope of this project. Furthermore, it would be beneficial if you reside in Europe or any other place that is close to GMT+1. This is simply because it makes it easier to schedule the interviews.

If you would like to participate, please send me an e-mail at [email protected]. Do not reply to this thread with a request to participate, as that jeopardizes your anonymity.

Questions and discussions are of course welcome.

As a side note, I am currently looking for participants in other relevant GTA forums as well, as such this post is partially a duplicate of those posts.

Best regards

Fredrik Weisethaunet
PhD Candidate of Sociology
Nord University, Norway