The subtle changes in the port/remaster of the PS4

sutalu

Here a comparison between PS3 vs 360 vs PS4-5.

- The PS3 did not have "self-shadowing". We can see how the collar of the shirt does not cast a shadow on the neck. Something that the 360 did, although at a very low resolution.

- In addition, derived from the above, the shadows in PS3 sometimes did not cover the entire surface, leaving gaps of light, as for example in the area of the face.

- We also see a color correction. The typical bloom of that time has been removed, and they have opted for less saturated colors.

fAxy3nN.jpg

9zIuaIH.jpg

Au8rJtl.jpg

PS3 vs PS4-5

https://imgsli.com/MTk5MTU3

360 vs PS4-5

https://imgsli.com/MTk5MTU4

PS3 vs 360

https://imgsli.com/MTk5MTYw

Edited by sutalu

rollschuh2282
5 hours ago, KarimNTerr said:

Noticed from vids on YT that the reticle turns red when aiming at an enemy

actually i checked in xenia on the 360 version.
and that was already a thing

same with the green one on friendly NPCs

Bp7BbL9.png

WY7FrKk.png

but a true change is that the theater movies.

like the one with the muscle guy.

those got doubled in resolution

from 480x352.

to 1000x780 iirc

13 minutes ago, rollschuh2282 said:

actually i checked in xenia on the 360 version.
and that was already a thing

same with the green one on friendly NPCs

Bp7BbL9.png

WY7FrKk.png

but a true change is that the theater movies.

like the one with the muscle guy.

those got doubled in resolution

from 480x352.

to 1000x780 iirc

Just noticed too on PS3 - thx for the correction, always been playing with expert/normal aim so i didn't know casual aim had it

xe3hUFK.png

• 3 weeks later...

I don't own it but I saw a few videos and it sounds like dead eye uses the new sound effect from RDR2. It sounds like more of a wet paint slap than a whip crack.

• 3 weeks later...
propanecocaine71

At McFarlane's ranch at night you can see cold breath coming from john and the npcs, was this in the original? I never noticed it before

i find it funny how literally no-one could find anything different about this travesty of a $60 game that even visual upgrades apart from THIS COLLAR couldn't be found

• 4 weeks later...
RecklessGlue540

Looks like cutscene animations are limited at 30hz on the Switch version while the camera pans don't seem to be.

Becomes very apparent when playing them at 60fps on emulation despite the cutscenes already having stuttering issues since release on both platforms (those seem to have been fixed with the recent 60fps patch for PS5).

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
RecklessGlue540
On 10/30/2023 at 5:39 PM, RecklessGlue540 said:

Looks like cutscene animations are limited at 30hz on the Switch version while the camera pans don't seem to be.

Becomes very apparent when playing them at 60fps on emulation despite the cutscenes already having stuttering issues since release on both platforms (those seem to have been fixed with the recent 60fps patch for PS5).

Alright, I'ma take this back. This issue has been fixed on all platforms, as of patch 1.03.

To be honest, I wonder if with this update, they included the PS5's 60fps code on the Switch version too.

Would be pretty useful if we found a way to possibly enable that, especially for getting those 30hz UI animations, so they won't speed up at high frame rates anymore... 

Edited by RecklessGlue540
  • Realistic Steak! 1

• 1 month later...
Caffeination

I platinumed the port version of RDR1, and I’d say it does the game justice and I consider it a proper definitive edition. Only complaint is the missing multiplayer, but I doubt I would’ve played it much since Rockstar nerfed the XP rewards for no real good reason.

• Like 3

undergroundvicious
On 4/10/2024 at 3:35 PM, Caffeination said:

I platinumed the port version of RDR1, and I’d say it does the game justice and I consider it a proper definitive edition. Only complaint is the missing multiplayer, but I doubt I would’ve played it much since Rockstar nerfed the XP rewards for no real good reason.

Don’t forget the free roam and the coop missions that were cool and got cut too… the lack of MP and improvements make me discard the title “Definitive” for a simple (and incomplete) port, sold for 50 bucks… at least we got a physical version.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Ballbreaker_

To be frank, they didn't make the mistake of calling it "Definitive" this time. They just straightly released it as a port.