When events of LCS take place

Orto_Dogge

Official manual states that Toni arrives at Liberty City at October 1998, but info pickup at Callahan Bridge states that the construction will be finished at May 1998, which means that events of the game take place before October. Since in-game canon takes priority, it's pretty much the consensus among players that events of LCS are happening during the spring. But when precisely? I have a few thoughts about that.

We know from newspaper in GTAIII says that it takes place in October. People are dressed accordingly (except for Cheese Deluxe guy in a Hawaiian shirt) and weather is usually rainy and foggy. In LCS the peds and the weather are totally different: it's sunny, bright and people are dressed in jerseys, tshirts and light clothing. I think it's safe to say that unlike GTAIII, that takes place at fall, LCS is happening during the spring.

I think Toni arrives in Liberty City at March. Since winter just ended, he wears relatively warm clothes from the beginning: his jacket and the Leone suit. In Car Salesman missions, that are usually completed during the first third of the game, snow can appear: because it's still March, a chilly season.

As the game progresses, Toni's wardrobe becomes more and more appropriate for the warm weather. On Portland he is given a long sleeved shirt Goodfella, because it's still March. But after arriving at Staunton he is given a white tshirt Antonio and a short sleeved shirt Wiseguy. I think it symbolizes that April begins.

There are seventy missions in the game, and if we count each mission as a day, then Toni completes the storyline at May. Callahan Bridge is almost finished, so it checks. Then the time in game freezes, leaving us enjoying Liberty City before summer for as long as we like.

But my most favorite argument is the silliest one: the game's soundtrack. As you probably know, the badass theme song is called "Dark March". It means march as a musical genre, of course, as in military march, because protagonist is a soldier in the family. But I like to think that this is also a Dark March when Toni arrived at Liberty City, starting the Mafia Wars.

Anyway, that were my thoughts on the matter. Hope you enjoyed.

• Like 2

universetwisters
7 hours ago, Orto_Dogge said:

Official manual states that Toni arrives at Liberty City at October 1998, but info pickup at Callahan Bridge states that the construction will be finished at May 1998, which means that events of the game take place before October. Since in-game canon takes priority, it's pretty much the consensus among players that events of LCS are happening during the spring. But when precisely? I have a few thoughts about that.

I never gave that too much thought because it's extremely common for construction projects to run well past their construction date. Hell, this is even joked about with the Liberty Tree articles that they made to promote III four years before. 

• Like 1

sTgL5iS.png

On 6/16/2023 at 4:41 AM, universetwisters said:

I never gave that too much thought because it's extremely common for construction projects to run well past their construction date. Hell, this is even joked about with the Liberty Tree articles that they made to promote III four years before. 

Yeah, but it wasn't an ingame billboard, commercial or a news article. It's was an info pickup so we can take information from it at face value. Rockstar doesn't use info pickups for jokes.

What I find odd is that for 200 years since Liberty City was first established, there was no bridges or tunnels connecting to Portland.

The Callahan Bridge was being built in 1998 and by 2001 the Porter Tunnel was also being built.

It would have made more sense if the Callahan Bridge was simply being renovated for the first time in 200 years and that's why it was closed in LCS.

universetwisters
17 hours ago, Orto_Dogge said:

Yeah, but it wasn't an ingame billboard, commercial or a news article. It's was an info pickup so we can take information from it at face value. Rockstar doesn't use info pickups for jokes.

Maybe the info pickup is in on the joke? :sadkek: And even then, the bridge is never completed to begin with, it’s just able to be jumped across. 

Not only that but, if the progression of time within LCS covers that long amount of time you bring up in the OP, why don’t the seasons change? On one hand, Bully was able to have seasons that change (that eventually made it into a mobile game) but on the other hand, LCS is a game initially designed for mobile platforms with a short development cycle so it could’ve just been something the devs overlooked. But even then, why would they leave hints at something as big as season changes while the only hints are extremely subtle and a (potentially intentionally) inaccurate information blip?

sTgL5iS.png

16 hours ago, Ray Carter said:

What I find odd is that for 200 years since Liberty City was first established, there was no bridges or tunnels connecting to Portland.

The Callahan Bridge was being built in 1998 and by 2001 the Porter Tunnel was also being built.

It would have made more sense if the Callahan Bridge was simply being renovated for the first time in 200 years and that's why it was closed in LCS.

One hundred percent agree, that was the weirdest choice.

5 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Not only that but, if the progression of time within LCS covers that long amount of time you bring up in the OP, why don’t the seasons change?

Because seasons never change in GTA games, why would they make an exception for LCS?

• Like 2

universetwisters
11 minutes ago, Orto_Dogge said:

Because seasons never change in GTA games, why would they make an exception for LCS?

Because it’s kinda weird to imply that the game takes place across multiple seasons while the game looks like it’s stuck in autumn 

sTgL5iS.png

40 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Because it’s kinda weird to imply that the game takes place across multiple seasons while the game looks like it’s stuck in autumn 

It takes place during one season, which is Spring. Just like all other GTA and RDR games that are stuck in one season.

It cannot take place in Autumn, because informational pickup states that May hasn't yet come.

universetwisters
18 minutes ago, Orto_Dogge said:

It takes place during one season, which is Spring. Just like all other GTA and RDR games that are stuck in one season.

Kinda weird how spring has autumnal trees tbh. Hell, in the last car dealer mission in the PSP version you can see snow as a weather condition which isn’t not uncommon in some later autumn months 

sTgL5iS.png

6 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Kinda weird how spring has autumnal trees tbh. Hell, in the last car dealer mission in the PSP version you can see snow as a weather condition which isn’t not uncommon in some later autumn months 

Most of the trees are green in LCS, which confirms that it's not Fall. But even if we choose to judge season by trees, GTA III trees are not exactly yellow, even though it's confirmed to take place in October.

I addressed the snow in original post. Snow in March is incredibly common.

universetwisters
4 hours ago, Orto_Dogge said:

Most of the trees are green in LCS, which confirms that it's not Fall. But even if we choose to judge season by trees, GTA III trees are not exactly yellow, even though it's confirmed to take place in October.

Idk man maybe I’m misremembering but I remember LCS and III both having orange and yellow splotches in their trees. Maybe it’s some weirdo art choice as opposed to having the entire tree be one full autumnal color.

sTgL5iS.png

• 2 weeks later...
Anywhere USA

According to the website it starts sometime after May 6th, that’s when the last email is dated to(and it’s from Ma saying her son is coming home soon). 
The Paulie website also suggests they lose control of the bar sometime between June 8th and July 10th

Orto_Dogge
On 6/28/2023 at 12:23 AM, Anywhere USA said:

According to the website it starts sometime after May 6th, that’s when the last email is dated to(and it’s from Ma saying her son is coming home soon). 
The Paulie website also suggests they lose control of the bar sometime between June 8th and July 10th

I don't see any dates on this version of the website. Can you give a link to the one that has dates?

Anywhere USA
57 minutes ago, Orto_Dogge said:

I don't see any dates on this version of the website. Can you give a link to the one that has dates?

That link isn’t working for me, but it’s the one with the 30 or so emails, mostly from Ned Burners inbox. They’re all sorted by date, the earliest is January and the last one is May 7th or 6th. 

Orto_Dogge
13 hours ago, Anywhere USA said:

That link isn’t working for me, but it’s the one with the 30 or so emails, mostly from Ned Burners inbox. They’re all sorted by date, the earliest is January and the last one is May 7th or 6th. 

Just checked, you're right, thanks! So events of LCS start in the end of spring and continue in summer. Here goes my Dark March theory, but at least it's not October.

On 6/18/2023 at 11:11 PM, universetwisters said:

Idk man maybe I’m misremembering but I remember LCS and III both having orange and yellow splotches in their trees. Maybe it’s some weirdo art choice as opposed to having the entire tree be one full autumnal color.

Apparently, the PSP version of LCS uses tree models from GTA3 while all other versions use trees recycled from SA.

EDIT:

@Orto_Dogge, LCS was released on the PSP first and the GTA3 tree models were most likely chosen to fit the Fall setting described in the manual. Moreover, only the PSP version of the game retains the snowy weather feature that occurs during the "Car Salesman" side-mission, whereas it's forcibly disabled in the PS2 and mobile versions.

I believe R* went about two ways with this game's timeline and made it differ depending on the platform, so the PSP version is set in October while the PS2 and mobile versions are set in May. In fact, if you look at the weather colors between the platforms, you'll notice a vast difference in tone; the PS2 and mobile versions use a completely different timecyc.dat file (darker colors, light blue sky tone) than the one used in the PSP version (bright colors, pink-ish sky tone).

Edited by H-G

Anywhere USA
36 minutes ago, H-G said:

Apparently, the PSP version of LCS uses tree models from GTA3 while all other versions use trees recycled from SA.

EDIT:

@Orto_Dogge, LCS was released on the PSP first and the GTA3 tree models were most likely chosen to fit the Fall setting described in the manual. Moreover, only the PSP version of the game retains the snowy weather feature that occurs during the "Car Salesman" side-mission, whereas it's forcibly disabled in the PS2 and mobile versions.

I believe R* went about two ways with this game's timeline and made it differ depending on the platform, so the PSP version is set in October while the PS2 and mobile versions are set in May. In fact, if you look at the weather colors between the platforms, you'll notice a vast difference in tone; the PS2 and mobile versions use a completely different timecyc.dat file (darker colors, light blue sky tone) than the one used in the PSP version (bright colors, pink-ish sky tone).

That seems needlessly complicated.

6 minutes ago, Anywhere USA said:

That seems needlessly complicated.

Well, I just gave my 2 cents on the matter as they felt right to me, but let me narrow it down for you:

PSP LCS - GTA3 tree models, bright weather and snow in "Car Salesman" = Fall seting

PS2 and Mobile LCS - SA tree models, dull-ish weather and no snow = Summer setting

Although I could be wrong about the bright colors on the PSP version, as it might've been done because of the PSP's small screen.

Edited by H-G

Anywhere USA

Zero clue for SA. Nothing to go off of other than Saint Marks Bistro occurs in the Winter, and The Introduction occurs pretty far from Winter given it’s sunny in Liberty. That doesn’t narrow it down much. Though it’s my headcanon the game takes place over the course of a year to the day and End of the Line is exactly one year after CJ arrives.

Vice City is somewhere in the Hurricane Season(and though I don’t have means to prove it in hand, probably in the summer time). Vice City Stories has to start in August or later based on the manual though. Nothing on the websites for any of these narrows it down(though Kent Paul’s site confirms Tommy is alive and well circa 2002) so the only hope is the radio. And that’s only so helpful because outside of San Andreas none of the games have updating radio. You can listen to an interview from Maria in GTA 3 that’s set between Chaperone and Last Requests at any point in the game.

Orto_Dogge
19 hours ago, H-G said:

EDIT:

Very interesting info, thanks! Weather in PSP LCS is different from PS2 LCS, but it's is even more different from GTAIII. I have a hard time believing that it's fall, especially since a lot of pedestrians and the protagonist wear light clothes. I think if we want to go with "different season for different platforms" theory, PSP LCS is supposed to be March, while PS2 LCS is supposed to be May.

2 hours ago, Orto_Dogge said:

Very interesting info, thanks! Weather in PSP LCS is different from PS2 LCS, but it's is even more different from GTAIII. I have a hard time believing that it's fall, especially since a lot of pedestrians and the protagonist wear light clothes. I think if we want to go with "different season for different platforms" theory, PSP LCS is supposed to be March, while PS2 LCS is supposed to be May.

Exactly, my friend, exactly.