Jump to content

Am I the only one That Thinks that GTA 3 becomes unplayable after Completing the game?


Txtn

Recommended Posts

One aspect of "GTA 3" that can be frustrating is the constant presence of hostile gang members throughout the city. These aggressive NPCs seem to appear everywhere, and upon spotting you, they can swiftly attack, causing damage to your vehicle and posing a significant threat to your character.

 

Their relentless aggression and ability to swiftly destroy your car can make it challenging to navigate the game world without constant confrontations and potential character deaths. This can be particularly frustrating when you're trying to explore or accomplish tasks peacefully.

 

Do you agree?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

cant remember

Yes they are definitely annoying. Especially Saint Marks is effectively not interable anymore. Other gangs are easier to deal with but just annoying when you want to just explore, especially since it's like half of the entire map that has them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Legomanarthur

Saint Mark's is definitely the worst offender and is basically a no-go zone once the mafia gets their shotguns. I wouldn't say that the game becomes "unplayable"; it does make Liberty City appear as dangerous as it's described which makes for an immersive experience if you're into that; but this can get old pretty fast and the fact that they didn't seem to take side-missions into consideration for players who chose to complete them after finishing the story is quite the oversight.

 

As annoying as they are, I always managed to go wherever I wanted apart from Saints Mark's really. Knowing your way around the map and where hostile gangs spawn is definitely a plus. Still, if you're on PC, I think it's best to use a mod that makes gangs friendly as you're now free to do whatever you want without the fear of being attacked every time.

  • Like 2

fJEUkTi.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AnythingGoner

This is IMO one of the worst aged aspects about III. Once you finish the game and its side missions, every gang (excluding the Yakuza and the Hoods) pretty much hate you and immediately attack you the second you stepped in their turf. The Leones are the worst offender about this, as their overpowered and broken Pump-Action Shotguns can destroy you/yout car in seconds.

 

Sure, you can use mods to make them friendly or give them less powerful weapons, but I feel like this is the pussy way of dealing with this poorly aged system.

Edited by AnythingGoner
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Evil empire

I agree, fortunately you can easily fix this problem on PC with the classic version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 5/26/2023 at 8:12 AM, Legomanarthur said:

I wouldn't say that the game becomes "unplayable"; it does make Liberty City appear as dangerous as it's described which makes for an immersive experience if you're into that

This is a really great, alternative way of viewing this subject. Kinda makes me want to play through it again with this in mind. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
Rockstarfan097

It sure is, most areas you can manage pretty easy since they don't have strong guns. Saint Mark's is a no go zone unless you got a bullet proof car. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
TaylorSwiftDies2038

I still like to trigger the riot cheat at the end of the game and have a fun time with it and play a "Survival Mode".

 

But yeah, it kinda sucks that GTA 3 has to be played in this weirdly rigid way because of the Mafia Shotgun feature. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Heres my Strategy for how to navigate Saint Marks:

 

 

permanently watch out for the black folks with the longs sticks and confront them.

pick one side of the road, make big turns.

Edited by rebel_36
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Max Payne

Not unplayable totally but hard to stand on foot without watching your back almost anywhere. I wonder whose idea it was to give to give Mafia overpowered shotguns along with Superman’s vision, speed and accuracy that they almost never miss their shots while the player is driving above 120 km/h.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Clare Dahl Sundance

its because it becomes, you can't take a sh*t without some gang trying to kill you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Moncastler
Posted (edited)

This thread reminded me of my first ever GTA III playthrough.

At the time the only GTA I was familiar with was IV where there aren't any real perks for completing side quests, so I went into GTA III thinking it'd be more or less the same... All story missions first, then all side quests.

 

It didn't take long to realize the mistake I just made, one of the first side missions I had to do was the race "Turismo" which goes around Portland. Every single race ended at Saint Mark's, it was impossible to avoid the Mafia with their shotguns. After a dozen tries, I remembered to have saved the bulletproof Patriot, using it I beat the race 1st try. All the other side quests were also quite challenging, rampages and vigilante in particular, but one stands out the most: Paramedic. IIRC it was probably the last thing I needed for 100%, at that point I surely did Kingdom Come and so even the Yardies were hostile. I tried doing it multiple times on all 3 islands, Portland was literally impossible, Staunton and Shoreside were theoretically doable but most of the times my runs ended at level 9-10. I was about to give up on 100% but then I discovered the car crusher glitch, after a few attempts I managed to beat level 12.

 

To this day that remains the hardest challenge I had in any GTA, it was a fun ride but the after-story experience was miserable to say the least. Navigating the map is literally impossible, and also very punishing considering that you lose everything after you die. Also, whoever programmed the shotgun fire range clearly had no idea about shotguns.

Edited by Moncastler
Link to comment
Share on other sites

stef_92
Posted (edited)

The purpose of an open world game is not just to do a story line of missions but also have some freedom to explore and do side stuff. GTA 3 takes the pleasure out of it after you complete the storyline. It makes the game "impossible" or at least very annoying. And that's one of the reasons that people who want to have 100% completion try to do as much as possible in the beginning of the game. Afterwards it just becomes painful (something which can't be said about the other games from the 3D era). Imagine if you haven't completed the payphone missions in Portland or god forbid - the Rampages in Saint Marks :D It's going to be fun.

 

The only benefit I see from the whole thing is maybe enforcing your strategic thinking - you put more thought on the order of which you complete objectives, and do a better planning when visiting dangerous areas (for example using a bullet proof vehicle or carefully choosing a route)

Edited by stef_92
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
WedaSan

What about GTA Liberty City Stories? Do the most gangs also become hostile to you by end-game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PointlessRedemption

It’s a double edged sword for me.

On one hand, I kinda enjoy the idea of being a lot more careful around dangerous areas.

On the other hand though, it makes everything else a pain in the ass to do, like side-missions and collectibles.

Edited by PointlessRedemption
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anywhere USA
On 5/27/2024 at 4:08 PM, Moncastler said:

This thread reminded me of my first ever GTA III playthrough.

At the time the only GTA I was familiar with was IV where there aren't any real perks for completing side quests, so I went into GTA III thinking it'd be more or less the same... All story missions first, then all side quests.

 

It didn't take long to realize the mistake I just made, one of the first side missions I had to do was the race "Turismo" which goes around Portland. Every single race ended at Saint Mark's, it was impossible to avoid the Mafia with their shotguns. After a dozen tries, I remembered to have saved the bulletproof Patriot, using it I beat the race 1st try. All the other side quests were also quite challenging, rampages and vigilante in particular, but one stands out the most: Paramedic. IIRC it was probably the last thing I needed for 100%, at that point I surely did Kingdom Come and so even the Yardies were hostile. I tried doing it multiple times on all 3 islands, Portland was literally impossible, Staunton and Shoreside were theoretically doable but most of the times my runs ended at level 9-10. I was about to give up on 100% but then I discovered the car crusher glitch, after a few attempts I managed to beat level 12.

 

To this day that remains the hardest challenge I had in any GTA, it was a fun ride but the after-story experience was miserable to say the least. Navigating the map is literally impossible, and also very punishing considering that you lose everything after you die. Also, whoever programmed the shotgun fire range clearly had no idea about shotguns.

Even at the start of the game it’s genuinely hard. Portland is small and compact enough the time limits are unforgiving. Also the tip mechanics in 3 are rough and Portland having a couple of elevated hilly areas especially if you cut roads to save time makes it worse.

 

Staunton is better in that regard(bigger time limits, flat) it’s held back by the fact that…

1. The Columbians are hostile from literally the start of the game. Even if you sneak over the ruined bridge they are.

2. The Hospital’s entrance is a mess. You either have to take a long winding road that wastes way too much time or gamble with the staircase and risk everything.

 

I’ve heard the single best time to do Staunton is actually after Grand Theft Aero. The Yakuza push them back one or two streets, marginal, but it helps.

 

It’s far worse after Kingdom Come and The Exchange gives the whole Cartel AKs. AK’s are a two shot on the car(unlike the shotgun the AK’s don’t always do full damage, shots will miss in motion, in practice it’s 3 or 4) and that turns the North into the second deadliest spot in the game.

 

Shoreside might be impossible. It’s swarming with Colombians, the terrain is hilly, the time limit is bugged due to Wichita Gardens borders spilling out, and the whole ‘island’ is really two, Bronx equivalent Wichita and New Jersey equivalent Shoreside Vale. There’s only two bridges across so yeah.

 

I will say I managed to beat paramedic on Xbox on Portland after ticking off the Triads. That’s doable.

I also think it’s technically possible after beating the whole game on Staunton? You need to rely on good RNG to basically never get more than one guy in Cartel turf, you get two in a round and ya dead. Prior to that absolutely.

 

Shoreside no proof, don’t think it’s been done 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moncastler
1 hour ago, Anywhere USA said:

Even at the start of the game it’s genuinely hard. Portland is small and compact enough the time limits are unforgiving. Also the tip mechanics in 3 are rough and Portland having a couple of elevated hilly areas especially if you cut roads to save time makes it worse.

 

Staunton is better in that regard(bigger time limits, flat) it’s held back by the fact that…

1. The Columbians are hostile from literally the start of the game. Even if you sneak over the ruined bridge they are.

2. The Hospital’s entrance is a mess. You either have to take a long winding road that wastes way too much time or gamble with the staircase and risk everything.

Yeah, even with hostile gangs I still think that Staunton is the best island for doing Paramedic, before beating the story of course! Portland requires a heavy usage of the handbrake if you want to reduce the chances of the Ambulance rolling over.

 

1 hour ago, Anywhere USA said:

Shoreside might be impossible. It’s swarming with Colombians, the terrain is hilly, the time limit is bugged due to Wichita Gardens borders spilling out, and the whole ‘island’ is really two, Bronx equivalent Wichita and New Jersey equivalent Shoreside Vale. There’s only two bridges across so yeah.

 

I also think it’s technically possible after beating the whole game on Staunton? You need to rely on good RNG to basically never get more than one guy in Cartel turf, you get two in a round and ya dead. Prior to that absolutely.

 

Shoreside no proof, don’t think it’s been done

I tried doing it on Shoreside Vale, it is IMO the safest island in the endgame considering that there's only one hostile area, but time limits are brutal and make it almost impossible. I said that it can be theoretically doable because with the right spawns I feel like Shoreside Vale can be the best option for a very late Paramedic, but it's all RNG dependent. Staunton also requires a lot of RNG with spawns, but it's more consistent and you have time to be inventive. Without a doubt Staunton is the one offering more chances, but they're still pretty slim. If only they gave the possibility of changing Ambulance or using the Pay'n'spray...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 6/18/2024 at 6:16 AM, WedaSan said:

What about GTA Liberty City Stories? Do the most gangs also become hostile to you by end-game?

IIRC most of them get wiped out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.