[REL | WIP | RDR] Reality Redemption - Overhaul Project

LennyH

Tokfr1D.png

Support me on Patreon Join the Discord Server
Support me on Patreon Join the Discord Server

ABOUT:

Red Dead Redemption is amongst one of the best Western titles ever created, next to its successor and sequel. Unfortunately, this game never got a PC release or next-gen remaster, left in the dust, and mostly forgotten about, the best we got from Rockstar was an outsourced port to the previous gen (PS4) and the Switch. However, nowadays thanks to the power of modern hardware and emulators, this wonderful game can be played from start to finish in all its glory in 4K 60FPS. However due to this game's age, various gameplay and visual elements feel outdated and not up to today's gaming standards, Reality Redemption aims to improve the visual fidelity of this game, fixing continuity errors, as well as improving its gameplay elements for a more fluid and realistic experience.

CONTRIBUTE TO THE PROJECT:

If you're interested to help with the development of Reality Redemption and are familiar with modding RDR, send me a message. If you'd like to see more progress with Red Dead Redemption modding, support @Im Foxxyyy via PayPal donations. Without his efforts, RDR modding would not even exist.

SCREENSHOTS:

Spoiler

1RQmc0W.pngEPAdI1I.jpg03sId94.jpgMkloAAm.jpgJeoQu3j.jpgByV8aqm.jpghsVnlJw.png1vySlG2.jpgPGYmpip.jpg7h5Iebm.jpg3CPJYQX.jpgliqMQ6o.jpg

TODO LIST:

• Increase memory pools and improved general performance
  • Improve reflection quality
  • Improve draw distance for vegetation
  • Improve draw distance for the map
  • Improve particles and particle count
  • Improve debris variation and count

• Improve physics for liquids like water
  • Improve AI behavior
  • Improve the game camera to behave more like RDR2
  • Improve the Euphoria physics
  • Improve random events spawn and spawn rate
  • Improve materials and their interactivity
  • Improve culling
  • Modify the movement animations for smoother transitions
  • Improve John Marston textures
  • Improve game world textures such as trails, roads, grounds and grass
  • Improve secondary character textures and building textures
  • Improve cloud skyhats
  • Improve vehicle draw distance
  • Improve the shadow maps and shadow distance
  • Improve sky lighting and time cycles
  • Improve weather and cloud variations and improve the overall weather system
  • Improve cloud shadows
  • PC control scheme (mouse and keyboard)
  • Fix the moonlight ground overbright issue
  • Fix the nighttime broken fog and other time cycle shortcomings 
  • Improve rain effects
  • Figure out why R* didn't implement a proper PostFX system in this game
  • Increase some memory allocations

Green = Done

Yellow = WIP
Blue = Not started yet

Q&A:

Q: Does this work on Undead Nightmare?
A: Yes - as of the 2.0 update.

Q: Does this work on the Switch conversion?
A: Yes - as of the 2.2 update.

Q: What if I only want to install a certain feature and don't install something I don't like?
A: As of the 2.2 update you can customize your installation with the automatic installer, you can choose exactly what you want, and what don't want to install.

Q: How do I use this?

A: You need to have a legit copy of the 360/Switch version, don't worry, it will be an easy installation.

Q: What version does this work on? do I need any specific version?

A: All game versions for both 360/Switch are fully supported.

Q: How does the installation work?

A: It's all done automatically, mod files are encrypted.

Q: Aren't you worried about the "you know who and you know what"?

A: Let's not talk about that.

Q: Will you port assets from RDR2?

A: No.

CREDITS:

@LennyH - Mod author
@Im Foxxyyy - Magic RDR & helping with fixing various bugs & adding new content
@Shvab - LibertyFourX

@CabooseSayzWTF - Silent Virtues trainer & improving the installer

DOWNLOAD (XBOX 360):

BETA 1.0

BETA 2.0

BETA 2.1

DOWNLOAD (SWITCH):

BETA 2.2

BETA 2.3

BETA 2.4

BETA 2.5

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

BETA 1.0:

• Initial release

BETA 2.0:

• Changed the installation method, using the "title update" system for the 360 version
  • Recreated the clear weather for better visuals, mimicking RDR2's lighting and color scheme
  • Improved all of John's outfits and textures at x2 times the original resolution
  • Improved all of the ground textures at x4 times the original resolution
  • Improved loading screens at x2 times the original resolution (does not include mission-specific loading screens yet)
  • Improved grass density and added new textures for grass at Gaptooth Ridge, Hennigan's Stead, and Great Plains
  • Improved performance
  • Improved debris coloring
  • Fixed John's textures looking strange after long playing sessions
  • Fixed the map looking low quality unless you max zoom in
  • Fixed the ground glow bug for the clear weather (it will also be fixed for other weathers in future updates)
  • Fixed freezes that happened in Mexico.
  • Added a new moon texture
  • Added the ability to adjust cutscene volume

BETA 2.1:

• Fixed the outfit-related crashes and freezes for the 360 version, unfortunately, this means high-resolution John textures will be exclusive to the Switch version

BETA 2.2:

• Switch is now fully supported
  • Installer is modular now, you can choose what to install and what not to install
  • Missing features that didn't work on 360 are present and fully functioning on Switch, such as HD John textures

BETA 2.3:

• HD road and trail textures have now been implemented, thanks to Foxxyyy they're crash free
  • HD rail road gravel textures have been added
  • The installer doesn't stay on "Done" anymore and moves to the next option automatically

BETA 2.4:

• Added Reality Redemption's trainer for yuzu and a barebone version of jedijosh's trainer for ryujinx thanks to Foxxyyy
  • Fixed the Chuparosa crash thanks to Foxxyyy
  • HD wooden surface textures have now been implemented

BETA 2.5:

• Added HD secondary character textures (for gameplay models only at the moment)
  • Added Silent Virtues trainer
  • Fxed file detection issues with the installer, now it checks if all required files for installation are available and lets the user know if there are any issues
  • Fixed trainer issues related to using satchel and saving the game, they also function in Undead Nightmare as well

DISCLAIMER (for certain individuals at T2 and R*):

This mod DOES NOT include any original game files and by NO MEANS intends to condone piracy, it does not provide guides on how to obtain the game either. Piracy is wrong and illegal. This also has NOTHING to do with RDR2, let alone Red Dead Online.

Edited by LennyH

An update:

• Euphoria rework is done, and now animations behave more like GTA IV, for example, characters will now roll when falling from a height, and characters react to exactly the area they got shot at instead of the general area, impacts stronger and horses transition animations smoother, they'll slow down gradually now like RDR2, weapon mass actually affects the characters, they will also face the threat and action as well.
  • The game now uses x16 anisotropic filtering
  • The game now uses x4 anti-aliasing
  • The game now uses the highest possible post-processing effects (noticeable with after-kill and bloom effects)
  • The game now handles frame rates above 60 just fine
  • Upped the vegetation render limits a bit more
  • Increased some more debris counts such as tumbleweeds
  • Restored missing post-processing color shifts, and generally improved the game's color grading, it now doesn't look like a bland image
  • Increased random occurrence distance a bit more

And here are some images for the curious folk, and do mind these are all base game edits, no reshade trickery:

nDgvKqc.jpgHZHJ02l.jpgByV8aqm.jpghsVnlJw.png

Take-Two is gonna sue, remember what they did to GamingDamned when he was doing the retexture project?

• Like 1
  • YEE 2

9 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

Take-Two is gonna sue, remember what they did to GamingDamned when he was doing the retexture project?

Yeah, they're very litigious, but if you also remember, GamingDamned was shipping the 2 main rpf files that were literally the whole game which I'm not gonna do, but still, fingers crossed they won't send 2 men in black to my door.

21 hours ago, LennyH said:

An update:

• Euphoria rework is done, and now animations behave more like GTA IV, for example, characters will now roll when falling from a height, and characters react to exactly the area they got shot at instead of the general area, impacts stronger and horses transition animations smoother, they'll slow down gradually now like RDR2, weapon mass actually affects the characters, they will also face the threat and action as well.
  • The game now uses x16 anisotropic filtering
  • The game now uses x4 anti-aliasing
  • The game now uses the highest possible post-processing effects (noticeable with after-kill and bloom effects)
  • The game now handles frame rates above 60 just fine
  • Upped the vegetation render limits a bit more
  • Increased some more debris counts such as tumbleweeds
  • Restored missing post-processing color shifts, and generally improved the game's color grading, it now doesn't look like a bland image
  • Increased random occurrence distance a bit more

And here are some images for the curious folk, and do mind these are all base game edits, no reshade trickery:

nDgvKqc.jpgHZHJ02l.jpgByV8aqm.jpghsVnlJw.png

That looks awesome!
RDR1 is one of my fav games. I was hoping that some skilled people start making creative and cool things with it since it runs quite perfect on Xenia.

Edited by AnymYo

1 minute ago, ReeceYoung2001 said:

Could you possibly do this for the PS3 version? I think it needs some TLC...

Probably not anytime soon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ReeceYoung2001 said:

Could you possibly do this for the PS3 version? I think it needs some TLC...

Is there any advantage to run this game on a PS3 emulator?

ReeceYoung2001
3 minutes ago, AnymYo said:

Is there any advantage to run this game on a PS3 emulator?

Not at all, but I own the physical ps3 copy. Just avoiding piracy.

10 hours ago, LennyH said:

Yeah, they're very litigious, but if you also remember, GamingDamned was shipping the 2 main rpf files that were literally the whole game which I'm not gonna do, but still, fingers crossed they won't send 2 men in black to my door.

Besides, from what I remember, they did ask him to stop development but he refused and kept on going.

Edited by Jinx.

A small update, increased the dust particle count

xTSTMKr.jpg

• Like 4

Yet another update:

• Roadside, trailside, and wilderness events such as coyote chases, dead bodies, stickups, wild animals, criminal chases, and much more now happen far more often, making the world feel more alive
  • Grass instances are now dense and thicker, covering more surface

nGuizP0.jpg

I'm aiming for a release in the first few days of April, I'll continue to share updates and screenshots in the meantime, I feel like I would've achieved enough for an initial release by then.

3 hours ago, Elissay said:

How the game handle all of the changes ? It is stable ? 

This might be depending on your hardware. Did you already playtested the game on Xenia Canary?

deleted

Edited by Shvab
  • Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

Isn't it easier to add everything from RDR1 to RDR2, improving models and textures, etc.?

5 hours ago, Elissay said:

How the game handle all of the changes ? It is stable ? 

It's stable, I'm  playtesting it, no crashes, no freezes, smooth as silk, it even runs smoother with the proper frame rate patches

1 hour ago, Shvab said:

Isn't it easier to add everything from RDR1 to RDR2, improving models and textures, etc.?

As far as you can go with that is a map conversion, RDR2 modding is still in its infancy.

It's coming along nicely

N1TNsq2.jpgPGYmpip.jpg1vySlG2.jpgLz6j0N5.jpg

GuiCORLEONEx794
6 hours ago, Shvab said:

Not at all, even if RDR2 modding had proper tools

WIll there be a similar project for console exclusive Rockstar games like Midnight Club 1,3, and LA, and Rockstar Table Tennis?

3 hours ago, red84140 said:

WIll there be a similar project for console exclusive Rockstar games like Midnight Club 1,3, and LA, and Rockstar Table Tennis?

I might dabble with MCLA, but other titles? probably not.

• Like 2

LikeInTheGame
On 3/23/2023 at 6:00 PM, LennyH said:

A: There aren't any tools for importing higher-resolution textures yet, sometime down the road, maybe.

If you can replace a texture of the same quality, then why not replace it with a texture of a higher quality?

RDR2 camera angles and FOV are being worked on, here is a comparison gif

hWZTR1N.gif

On 3/29/2023 at 8:48 PM, LikeInTheGame said:

If you can replace a texture of the same quality, then why not replace it with a texture of a higher quality?

because there is an ancient religion that says editing Red Dead Redemption resources is a mortal sin. There are also mentions that if you increase the quality of the textures, then you will be considered cursed and you will be chased by demons straight from the engine compartment of the ZAZ-968m. Even I, being an atheist, am afraid to even look at the rpf archives of Red Dead Redemption. Also, someone could see that Chipsman from OpenIV was working on support for Red Dead Redemption, but after he implemented support for xtd files, the demons took him to their ZAZ-968M engine compartment and now he is where every RDR modder goes.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:48 PM, LikeInTheGame said:

If you edit and distribute an RPF then Take-Two will send these guys after you...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ash_735 said:

If you edit and distribute an RPF then Take-Two will send these guys after you...

This is a video of how the demons from the engine compartment of the ZAZ-968m kill Chipsman after he started working on RDR. I have created an xtd editor that can resize textures. It remains only to test it. I'm waiting for the same thing to overtake me as the person from the video

A beta version of the mod will be coming out either today or tomorrow (no April fools joke I promise)

It won't have automatic installation, it has to be done manually and will take a while. I'll look for proper solutions for later releases.

• Like 2