OPEN IV error when push search button

Latte019

Hi, my open IV always crashing when i want to find something in the files, it says " invalid characters in path ", but i don't know how to fix that xD.
Can someone help me, please?

h096RJM.png

55 minutes ago, Latte019 said:

Hi, my open IV always crashing when i want to find something in the files, it says " invalid characters in path ", but i don't know how to fix that xD.
Can someone help me, please?

It looks like other people have the same problem and it also looks like nobody is helping because this post below has had no replies since August 2022.

https://gtaforums.com/topic/984934-openiv-crash-when-searching-for-anything/

and another similar one here.

https://gtaforums.com/topic/987657-invalid-charaters-in-path/

There are also the same bugs on the OpenIV website from January 2022 that also have had no replies. It looks like the OpenIV team might have given up and quit, I can probably guess why if so...

Which version of OpenIV do you have installed? It shows the version number in the bottom-right corner of the OpenIV window, mine says "OpenIV 3.2"

Edit: And which language is Windows set to?

Edited by LeeC22

29 minutes ago, LeeC22 said:

Which version of OpenIV do you have installed? It shows the version number in the bottom-right corner of the OpenIV window, mine says "OpenIV 3.2"

30 minutes ago, LeeC22 said:

And which language is Windows set to?

Polish, i tried to change it for english, but nothing changed - same issue

@LeeC22 Can I get your discord? 

8 minutes ago, Latte019 said:

Can I get your discord? 

I don't use DIscord.

Can you copy the path of your GTAV folder into here?

I am going to try ro reproduce the error in a Virtual Machine but it won't be able to run GTAV so I am going to try and trick it with a fake install. If I have your path, I can set it up like it is on your PC. So for example, mine is "E:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V".

Yours might have Polish characters in it, which is why I need to be able to Copy & Paste the path name.

1 minute ago, Latte019 said:

D:\GTAV\GTAV

Hmmm, that shouldn't cause a problem.

I have to do this in another OS, which might take me a while if I get any problems. I will install OpenIV 4.1 and I will set the language of the Virtual Machine to Polish to try and get things as close as possible to what you are using. Not sure if OpenIV will run in a VM but I will try it anyway.

I will post back later, might take me an hour or so.

27 minutes ago, LeeC22 said:

Hmmm, that shouldn't cause a problem.

I have to do this in another OS, which might take me a while if I get any problems. I will install OpenIV 4.1 and I will set the language of the Virtual Machine to Polish to try and get things as close as possible to what you are using. Not sure if OpenIV will run in a VM but I will try it anyway.

I will post back later, might take me an hour or so.

Okay, thank you so much for helping me.

4 minutes ago, Latte019 said:

Okay, thank you so much for helping me.

I can't get it to reproduce the same error. :(

I installed OpenIV 4.1, I switched the language to Polish and that was fine, I was able to search for files without it crashing.

I tried creating another user account with the name Świętosław to see if special characters in the username might be causing the problem and that was also able to search for files.

I even created a dlcpack folder called Świętosław and that was also fine.

I am not sure what else I can try to get it to crash.

5 minutes ago, Latte019 said:

hah, okay. 
Thank you for your help again, thanks for your efforts! 

One thing I have just thought of, if you have a mods folder you could try moving that out of the game folder to make sure it isn't anything in there that might be causing it. The invalid path could be inside a dlcpacks rpf file and the default game files shouldn't have that problem. It might not make any difference but it's worth trying.

I just remembered that I have some mods that could be causing this. 
I will look at it in the next gta update. 
Thank you again, have a great rest of the day!

Edited by Latte019

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yo, same issue here, after trying almost everything.. i fixed my issue by just checking all checkboxes when you install the OpenIV.ASI plugin. I hope it helps you guys too.. and sorry for my bad english

• 1 month later...

you can delete the mods file on your original GTA V files
then make new mods folder