GTA VI Online In-Game Live Events

FollowTheMoney

FollowTheMoney

In game concerts are on the rise and have been gaining a lot of traction in recent years. The idea of implementing this has been a topic of conversation for a while, with even mainstream artists like Lil Nas X saying how they would be open to hosting online concerts within GTA Online. Some GTA RP Servers are already ahead of this and do host online live concerts (Albeit with community members rather than big acts).

Rockstar already have Circoloco Records and have been leaning into music/ Studio based storylines along with club ownership in the online missions so this is absolutely something that they could look to develop further and host in the GTA Online world. The evidence is already there that this may be something they are looking to do with the Keinemusik set at Cayo Perico.

It makes so much sense to have given the popularity of the medium, as well as giving players something extra to work for and spend their money on. It could also be used to incentivise people to purchase a GTA+ Membership- discounted or free events or exclusive access to them. 

So the questions I have are;  Is live in-game concerts something you would be interested in seeing? If so, who would you like to see and how much would you be willing to pay to see your favourite artists perform in game? Or if concerts aren't your jam can you think of anything else that could be included as an in-game live event that you would be interested in seeing in GTA VI Online?

bfpAmp1.jpg9199530791_c8ec7a5dbf_b.jpg

Now I don't know how that could work but it will be nice to have artists play music there as characters like Dre and the others were. Not just the online mode, in the story mode there can be concerts with a lot of npcs/festival, some missions could take place. We saw in the leaks an Amphitheater. "FPL Solar Amphitheater"? I said in the Speculation topic that having venues and not being used is a bit disappointing.

Have you heard of "Rockstar will let players come up with their own mixes and beats in Grand Theft Auto Online" ? that perhaps the players themselves could play their music there (not singing I think) and will be heard all over Vice City, just one thought lol.

Edited by 44Orca
  • Like 2

2dQaqi9.png purple-diamond-gem.gif

(who wouldn't wanna ruin a concert :fartkek: will fly an oppressor right in there,jk)

One thing with people ruining it like that,  the area will be off limits? In the online mode.

Edited by 44Orca

2dQaqi9.png purple-diamond-gem.gif

FollowTheMoney
17 minutes ago, 44Orca said:

(who wouldn't wanna ruin a concert :fartkek: will fly an oppressor right in there,jk)

One thing with people ruining it like that,  the area will be off limits? In the online mode.

I suppose in online mode it can work the same as other games have handled it. Weapons are locked and everyone automatically enters passive mode. I feel it would just be a missed opportunity given the fact it has been successfully done in other games and there really does seem to be a growing appetite for it or something similar. And if not concerts then at least something

25 minutes ago, 44Orca said:

I said in the Speculation topic that having venues and not being used is a bit disappointing.

Have you heard of "Rockstar will let players come up with their own mixes and beats in Grand Theft Auto Online" ? that perhaps the players themselves could play their music there and will be heard all over Vice City, just one thought lol.

Venues not being utilised for anything does feel like a bit of a let-down. Its a beautiful world but the interactivity and the goings on of the world are what makes it feel alive.

Hadn't heard of players making their own beats but I can see it working. Some GTA RP servers put on club nights and let the community play their own music in the club. 

I don't have an opinion on the interest towards live musical events. But I would say, in terms of technicality, we are less likely to have "live" in-game events. However, we are more likely to have musical content like what we have on GTA Online with the Music Locker and Cayo Perico Beach Party.

On FiveM, you connect to servers, and during the loading process, you download streaming assets. The server contains a server-side version of the game. Therefore, you can host a live event as the rapper or music artist creates a character within the server and meets the fans in-game. Any changes to say the Party Area can be done on the server and every player would load up the same assets. But now try to have the artist do that across two or three servers simultaneously. That's the problem with GTA Online.

In addition, GTA Online 2 won't fully run on servers like FiveM. It will be a hybrid of P2P and servers mainly focused on providing the player Rockstar cloud services like handling sessions and Socialclub integration.

Basically, we won't have actual "live" in-game events where the artist reacts to fans in real time any time soon. What we could have, however, is more pre-recorded musical events that Rockstar could conceal under the identity of being live events.

For example, Rockstar could bring back Dr. Dre alongside famous music artists in a similar fashion to the Super Bowl show to have them within a "game event" that runs within a precise time window on a specific day. You could log in during the event window and visit a stadium in-game to see them performing. But all of that will be pre-recorded. It's similar to how Dr. Dre, in GTA Online, shows up at Record A Studios at say 2:00 PM and the cutscene of Dr. Dre arriving will play. If you go outside and come back at 2:10 PM, he would have finished his first song and is playing his second song. Some songs could have a special artist arriving like Anderson .Paak arrives at Record A Studios to record his vocal for ETA. But of course, in reality that will be pre-recorded as well.

Imagine that in the next iteration of GTA Online, but the songs will be packed into a special one-hour long event.

Edited by Tez2

FollowTheMoney
1 hour ago, Tez2 said:

I don't have an opinion on the interest towards live musical events. But I would say, in terms of technicality, we are less likely to have "live" in-game events. However, we are more likely to have musical content like what we have on GTA Online with the Music Locker and Cayo Perico Beach Party.

On FiveM, you connect to servers, and during the loading process, you download streaming assets. The server contains a server-side version of the game. Therefore, you can host a live event as the rapper or music artist creates a character within the server and meets the fans in-game. Any changes to say the Party Area can be done on the server and every player would load up the same assets. But now try to have the artist do that across two or three servers simultaneously. That's the problem with GTA Online.

In addition, GTA Online 2 won't fully run on servers like FiveM. It will be a hybrid of P2P and servers mainly focused on providing the player Rockstar cloud services like handling sessions and Socialclub integration.

Basically, we won't have actual "live" in-game events where the artist reacts to fans in real time any time soon. What we could have, however, is more pre-recorded musical events that Rockstar could conceal under the identity of being live events.

For example, Rockstar could bring back Dr. Dre alongside famous music artists in a similar fashion to the Super Bowl show to have them within a "game event" that runs within a precise time window on a specific day. You could log in during the event window and visit a stadium in-game to see them performing. But all of that will be pre-recorded. It's similar to how Dr. Dre, in GTA Online, shows up at Record A Studios at say 2:00 PM and the cutscene of Dr. Dre arriving will play. If you go outside and come back at 2:10 PM, he would have finished his first song and is playing his second song. Some songs could have a special artist arriving like Anderson .Paak arrives at Record A Studios to record his vocal for ETA. But of course, in reality that will be pre-recorded as well.

Imagine that in the next iteration of GTA Online, but the songs will be packed into a special one-hour long event.

Thanks for that, really interesting to hear how it could possibly be implemented from a technical standpoint as I couldn't actually see how it worked aside from in the RP lobbys. I understand that most of the in game concerts we hear about are pre recorded mixes but at the same time wondered why it would be difficult to actually host a real "live" event. 

Do you believe that this is something that R* would look to implement?  Maybe not even exclusively for music events but even something like the rumoured "GTA Movie" with Eminem that was supposedly rejected. Could that be ticketed as a "live" event if it was made using the same technique as the concerts? 

Beside the technical problems a well done live musical event will require, I think it will be too ambitious for this game. 

As said before, Dre's studio in Los Santos and the rumored 'player made mixes' may be the way to promote Circoloco's roster. And if nightclub ownership will be a thing in Vice City, both scenarios could hit the right spot between scripted in-game content and impromptu player-made content. 

We could take the same functions of Anderson .Paak or DJ Pooh and mix custom tracks from a featured artist in the studio, even with some interactive AI comments if we're out of beat or tempo ('that sh*t slaps/that sh*t's weak'), and share bits of our mixes (and videos of our session with the artist) through Social Club. 

That same interactive AI response to the quality of our mixes would be useful on player-made DJ sets on nightclubs, on our own or interacting with real-life DJs. 

11 hours ago, FollowTheMoney said:

Thanks for that, really interesting to hear how it could possibly be implemented from a technical standpoint as I couldn't actually see how it worked aside from in the RP lobbys. I understand that most of the in game concerts we hear about are pre recorded mixes but at the same time wondered why it would be difficult to actually host a real "live" event. 

Do you believe that this is something that R* would look to implement?  Maybe not even exclusively for music events but even something like the rumoured "GTA Movie" with Eminem that was supposedly rejected. Could that be ticketed as a "live" event if it was made using the same technique as the concerts? 

There are two different cases.

Do you mean "live" as in the rapper creates a character much like us and stand in front of our characters doing nothing special, but using voice chat to perform? Much like what happens in FiveM? That would be more easily done in a server environment with more than 32 players. GTA Online 2, however, is limited to 32 players. Rockstar could come up with new tech that pretty much, in the technical sense, let us watch livestreams in-game and so the rapper could livestream his performance to everyone. We could have a sense of interaction by utilizing a chat feature shared across sessions. In this case, Rockstar can extend beyond a musical event to letting us watch a movie by them or something.

Or do you mean "live" as in something similar to Travis Scott Fortnite event? Because even that event was pre-recorded. What EA & Respawn did at 2019's Game Awards with Mirage interacting in real-time with host Geoff Keighley was the closest we get to seeing real-time motion capture. But even that was captured within a small studio next door to the stage. You can imagine a lot of LAN cables connected between the studio and the stage to transmit the huge data, but that would be a different problem if needed to be done via the internet. Imagine Mirage lagging because the devs experienced connection issues. Thus, Rockstar is unlikely to take this approach. They would rather have the event pre-recorded.

32 minutes ago, Tez2 said:

GTA Online 2, however, is limited to 32 players.

I wonder how you even wanna know at this point.
There has been no information whatsoever. 

1 hour ago, Skraisia said:

I wonder how you even wanna know at this point.
There has been no information whatsoever. 

Because the leaked footage showed testing clips of the multiplayer with the max players displayed. Plus, we know from @Spider-Vice findings that the game will use similar services of Red Dead Online.

Not to mention, the whole footage showed the game built upon RDR2's structure. Like how earlier testing footage showed Arthur walking animations. Which is a standard for game development.

Check out "Americas_1 2022-05-24 17-19-42" video clip and focus on the bottom left. Where it says "PL: 2/32" that's 2 players within a 32 lobby. It's actually a 30-player lobby, but with two slots for spectators the same as GTAO & RDO.

Next to that, you can see "SH: PR_RSN1" which is the script host. And right after is "GM H: PR_RSN1" which I believe is referred to as the game master or session host.

That video clip is from May 2022. So that's last year and structural changes like increasing the max players limit needs to be done much earlier.

5 minutes ago, Tez2 said:

Because the leaked footage showed testing clips of the multiplayer with the max players displayed. Plus, we know from @Spider-Vice findings that the game will use similar services of Red Dead Online.

Not to mention, the whole footage showed the game built upon RDR2's structure. Like how earlier testing footage showed Arthur walking animations. Which is a standard for game development.

Check out "Americas_1 2022-05-24 17-19-42" video clip and focus on the bottom left. Where it says "PL: 2/32" that's 2 players within a 32 lobby. It's actually a 30-player lobby, but with two slots for spectators the same as GTAO & RDO.

Next to that, you can see "SH: PR_RSN1" which is the script host. And right after is "GM H: PR_RSN1" which I believe is referred to as the game master or session host.

That video clip is from May 2022. So that's last year and structural changes like increasing the max players limit needs to be done much earlier.

Alright. but things still could change I guess. But im fine with that answer

FollowTheMoney
3 hours ago, Tez2 said:

There are two different cases.

Do you mean "live" as in the rapper creates a character much like us and stand in front of our characters doing nothing special, but using voice chat to perform? Much like what happens in FiveM? That would be more easily done in a server environment with more than 32 players. GTA Online 2, however, is limited to 32 players. Rockstar could come up with new tech that pretty much, in the technical sense, let us watch livestreams in-game and so the rapper could livestream his performance to everyone. We could have a sense of interaction by utilizing a chat feature shared across sessions. In this case, Rockstar can extend beyond a musical event to letting us watch a movie by them or something.

Or do you mean "live" as in something similar to Travis Scott Fortnite event? Because even that event was pre-recorded. What EA & Respawn did at 2019's Game Awards with Mirage interacting in real-time with host Geoff Keighley was the closest we get to seeing real-time motion capture. But even that was captured within a small studio next door to the stage. You can imagine a lot of LAN cables connected between the studio and the stage to transmit the huge data, but that would be a different problem if needed to be done via the internet. Imagine Mirage lagging because the devs experienced connection issues. Thus, Rockstar is unlikely to take this approach. They would rather have the event pre-recorded.

So i know that the previous "live events" were pre recorded. But more could you have a pre recorded mocap performance or concert with the artist performing live via a livestream. However now that I've typed that out I realise that it would make more sense to just pre record the entire show like the first part of your answer. A bit like the cabaret shows from VI but one off productions with the social aspect of having live chat at the same time. Then they could do all sorts of mocapped shows not limited to music. As an example a Blue Man Group type show that takes place in the world.

How feesable would it be to have concerts/movies/shows live streamed along with mo cap shows? I can't imagine the tech would need to be adjusted too much for each. I'm just thinking back to lockdown when Tomorrowland hosted a virtual festival with a fake crowd populated in each arena. Would be interesting to see something like that but the crowd populated with the 'attendees' characters but I don't know how much work would be required to implement things like this.