Error FFFF

Bobthebuilder210

Bobthebuilder210

I've been playing single player for the last month with zero issues. I decided to start playing online again and I'm getting tons of crashing. Most of the time it's fine but last nigh I kept on getting 'Error FFFF' constantly. My friend had it too and other people say recently its been happening too. How do I fix it?

I'll be honest I haven't touched RDO in a while, as soon as I got all the online achievements I immediately stopped playing it. I never got the "FFFFFFF Unknown error", but from what I'm reading on r/PCRedDead you're not the only one having this issue. Some people "fixed" the issue by going into solo

sessions, if you want to play just with your friend you may want to give it a shot (first comment): 

I've only experienced ERR_GFX errors when I was running the game on DX12, Vulkan always seemed more stable on my rig. But considering you're not having issues in singleplayer changing the graphics API surely won't solve anything.

Bobthebuilder210
5 hours ago, Moncastler said:

I'll be honest I haven't touched RDO in a while, as soon as I got all the online achievements I immediately stopped playing it. I never got the "FFFFFFF Unknown error", but from what I'm reading on r/PCRedDead you're not the only one having this issue. Some people "fixed" the issue by going into solo

sessions, if you want to play just with your friend you may want to give it a shot (first comment): 

I've only experienced ERR_GFX errors when I was running the game on DX12, Vulkan always seemed more stable on my rig. But considering you're not having issues in singleplayer changing the graphics API surely won't solve anything.

Will take that it regards. Dx12 caused me tons of ossues before and when I tried it caused even more issues so vulkan seems better. Is there a easy way to get into a private lobby? Considering rdo doesn't have the option for one

Follow this tutorial: 

I don't know if this will actually fix your issue as I don't play RDO anymore. But you can try it and see if something changes. Bare in mind that in this way you won't be able to play with people other than your friends (who need to have your exact same file, as shown in the video), this applies to both freemode and game modes.

If this workaround actually works then most likely you were finding modders with the ability of crashing your game, which apparently could be an issue even in RDO.

Bobthebuilder210
4 minutes ago, Moncastler said:

Follow this tutorial: 

I don't know if this will actually fix your issue as I don't play RDO anymore. But you can try it and see if something changes. Bare in mind that in this way you won't be able to play with people other than your friends (who need to have your exact same file, as shown in the video), this applies to both freemode and game modes.

If this workaround actually works then most likely you were finding modders with the ability of crashing your game, which apparently could be an issue even in RDO.

Yeah I will try. Bit of a pain I have to get my friends to do it too but worth it

Yeah it's worth trying, just to understand if there's something wrong on your end or if it was actually modders crashing your game.

When launching the game, the Rockstar Games Launcher will probably warn you that it detected some files that aren't supposed to be in RDR2's folder... Don't worry, it's totally normal and you won't get banned for it.

Bobthebuilder210
3 hours ago, Moncastler said:

Follow this tutorial: 

I think it has fixed it! Played for a couple hours with zero issues! Thank you!

No problem, glad I could help! :)

And well, until now I thought the modding situation in RDO was way better than GTAO, guess I was wrong (and I'm happy I don't have to get any more online achievements).

Bobthebuilder210
1 hour ago, Moncastler said:

No problem, glad I could help! :)

And well, until now I thought the modding situation in RDO was way better than GTAO, guess I was wrong (and I'm happy I don't have to get any more online achievements).

When I played back in March- July I had zero issues. Unsure if it is modders maybe just bad connections. I genuinely cannot thank you enough. I went from this time yesterday being pretty pissed off as my game wouldn't even boot after I changed to dx12 to being able to play the game in peace with no crashes with my friends! Thank you so much!

Also if i verify my game files or unitstall or the game has an update would i need to do this again?

Yeah I played more or less in the same period and I had zero issues online, that's why I was so surprised to see that the modding situation in RDO has gotten this bad. DX12 giving issues isn't anything new tho, Vulkan is simply more stable.

If an update comes out you won't have to do this again, in the end you just added one file to your game's directory without altering / removing anything. I've seen an user reporting that he had to verify the integrity of files only when he decided to remove the file (so he could go back to public lobbies), although I don't think that's really necessary. As for how long this method will work, I honestly have no idea, from my understanding it should not be affected by future updates as it would require a rewriting of the game's code when it comes to matchmaking, something that I don't think Rockstar will ever touch.

Basically the game lets you play with people with your same checksum (it is a sequence of bits that the game uses to verify the integrity of your files). That file you added has changed your checksum from the original one to a "custom" one, and every time you change the password inside that file the checksum will also change. You and your friends now have the exact same added file, so you have the exact same checksum and the game lets you all play together. Just make sure to choose a strong password if you want to prevent other people from joining, passwords like "1234" for example would be used by many other people.

It's a shame that because of modders and the lack of a decent anti-cheat system you have to be completely isolated in an online game, but unfortunately this is the situation with Rockstar and their PC titles.

But even with all that, have fun playing! RDO deserved more, but I'm sure it can be fun if you have a team of friends to play with :)

Edited by Moncastler
  • Like 1

Bobthebuilder210
13 minutes ago, Moncastler said:

Yeah I played more or less in the same period and I had zero issues online, that's why I was so surprised to see that the modding situation in RDO has gotten this bad. DX12 giving issues isn't anything new tho, Vulkan is simply more stable.

If an update comes out you won't have to do this again, in the end you just added one file to your game's directory without altering / removing anything. I've seen an user reporting that he had to verify the integrity of files only when he decided to remove the file (so he could go back to public lobbies), although I don't think that's really necessary. As for how long this method will work, I honestly have no idea, from my understanding it should not be affected by future updates as it would require a rewriting of the game's code when it comes to matchmaking, something that I don't think Rockstar will ever touch.

Basically the game lets you play with people with your same checksum (it is a sequence of bits that the game uses to verify the integrity of your files). That file you added has changed your checksum from the original one to a "custom" one, and every time you change the password inside that file the checksum will also change. You and your friends now have the exact same added file, so you have the exact same checksum and the game lets you all play together. Just make sure to choose a strong password if you want to prevent other people from joining, passwords like "1234" for example would be used by many other people.

It's a shame that because of modders and the lack of a decent anti-cheat system you have to be completely isolated in an online game, but unfortunately this is the situation with Rockstar and their PC titles.

But even with all that, have fun playing! RDO deserved more, but I'm sure it can be fun if you have a team of friends to play with :)

Just wanted to quickly ask: Is there any actual risk of being banned?

No, you're just altering the checksum to manipulate the matchmaking, you're not using trainers or cheats of some sorts. If you want, here's Rockstar's EULA (point L is probably the one that interests you): https://www.rockstargames.com/eula

And, following what the L point says:

- You're not cheating

- You're not glitching

- You're not using another program in connection with any online feature of the software

Even modders don't (unfortunately) get banned, you have nothing to worry about :)

• Like 1