3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Weird Gripes you have with GTA V

BloxedRetro

BloxedRetro

This is a thread where you can share weird issues you have with the game. By this, I mean things you dislike about the game in which have no bearing on anything and only really piss you off because something about it just does. Basically this is just stuff like your OCD rants.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I'll start.

The map shape. The map for this game is great but my OCD gives me an aneurism with the number of questions that go through my head.

First of all, why the Hell is this shaped so weird? Looks like Homer Simpson, but that causes more problems. The fact it curves inwards rather than what California does in real life where it curves outwards makes Paleto Bay, which is presumably based on Morro Bay, bend into the middle of the map, yes at the top but more towards the centre than the far west like irl. WHERE THE HELL DOES NORTH SAN ANDREAS GO? If it's a Bay, that means that there's land on the other side of Paleto Bay, but it's heavily presumed to be a coastal town, especially since Morro Bay, it's main inspiration supposedly, is coastal. Also, where does the land connect? The beach stretches so far outwards from Paleto to the east that it makes it look as if this is some weird reality where California / San Andreas actually has Los Angeles / Los Santos as this tumour on the coast line where everything else is normal. I get the mountains are meant to act like a wall which acts like there's more land beyond them but why are there mini rocks there to act like there's meant to be an ocean or other giant water mass there? Especially in a state like this where there's large desert land, how does this make any sense? It's like if Nevada was an island, that wouldn't work. How is North San Andreas gonna work? How is N. East San Andreas / Robada / Venturas gonna work? They need to connect somehow inland with Southern San Andreas but it feels like R* went out of their way to piss off those with OCD and create a map where you really have to do mental gymnastics to imagine how it'd realistically connect with everything else in the state. Also, how the hell does Paleto Cove work? If we've previously established how broken Paleto Bay is, Paleto Cove is even worse since it's further down. Coves are meant to have an in-let shape, however Paleto Cove lacks that. Is the inlet shape on the land mass on the other side? But then how will that work because that breaks Paleto Bay. I know I shouldn't be thinking of this too much but honestly R* should have designed GTA V's map considering how everything else may fit together if somebody was to put the puzzle pieces together, it feels very self-absorbed, fitting since the game's humour mostly revolves around calling Los Santos narcissistic and plastic and Blaine County racist, and only catering to it's own world. TL;DR - R*, please add San Fierro and / or Las Venturas to GTA VII please and add those maps into Online where you can drive directly to Los Santos from Venturas / Fierro without using bridges to cross waters there should be none.

Yeah, if you didn't get the gist of it, basically that type of ranting is what this thread is about. Weird, insignificant stuff that you could rant about all day like a moron.

Edited by BloxedRetro
Added a TL;DR joke

Nonexistent car damage, police system, how everybody has aimbots. Easy to die, to be killed.

I stopped playing it, that game is punishment not fun.

• Like 2

BloxedRetro
10 hours ago, Ondr4H said:

Nonexistent car damage, police system, how everybody has aimbots. Easy to die, to be killed.

I stopped playing it, that game is punishment not fun.

Yeah the police system can be a pain

NightmanCometh96
  • You can no longer leave a vehicle with the engine running by tapping the exit button like in IV.
  • Windshield ejection almost always kills you on the spot. For a game desperately trying be less grounded than IV, this is ironically more realistic than the former's emphasis on letting the Euphoria physics shine.
  • Vehicles will explode if you do not land 100% perfectly from a great height.
  • The only "good" way to make money is to manipulate the stock market through Lester's assassinations. And even then, you have to wait until after completing the story to get decent results, something a player coming in blind would not know to do.
  • Lack of a "rags to riches" element (aside from Franklin quickly and unceremoniously receiving a nice house upon finishing the first assassination, I guess?). While it's been done to death story-wise, it still makes for a natural, satisfying gameplay loop.
  • Soulwax FM. By far the worst electronic station in the series, as far as I'm concerned
    • As a fan of eurodance, I'm also quite sad that the 90's/early 2000's dance music on Non-Stop Pop wasn't given its own designated station.
  • Needlessly punishing the player for not following R*'s rigid mission instructions to a T; I legitimately failed more missions due to this than actual "difficulty".
    • Sometimes you are able to deviate from your task a little bit, but there is never any kind of indication that you can do so. A good example is having the option to kill your pursuers during the Seashark chase in Daddy's Little Girl; but again, if you're normally penalized for not following R*'s paved road, how would you ever find out about the exceptions to the rule yourself?
      • And it only gets worse in RDR2...
  • Why do cutscenes count as "mission time" for Gold Medal attempts? I get that the system is in place to encourage replay value, but why should I be punished for wanting to watch the narrative unfold during subsequent playthroughs?
    • Like the aforementioned linear mission design, the Medal system is nerfed even further in RDR2, as you have to complete all objectives in one go. On top of that, if you choose to replay missions via the in-game option, you're stuck with the pathetic stats and loadouts that R* provides for you. At least in V you keep your current stats/weapons and are able do each task one by one if need be.
  • Why are animals counted as "pedestrians" that can report crimes? If you're wondering why firing a silenced weapon in the middle of nowhere attracts police attention, this is the reason.
  • Standing next to someone and doing nothing should not be a reason to trigger a wanted level.
  • The donut shaped highway that surrounds the map. It makes the game feel like a play-set, rather than a living, breathing world.
Edited by NightmanCometh96
Grammar

gnome child

NO CROUCH BUTTON. You have no way to lower your profile or limit your exposure to incoming bullets, and have to hope there is some designated object that you are allowed to cover behind nearby. And then you have to hope that the cover system actually works and doesn't send you sprinting across the street to take cover behind the toothpick or mouse turd that happens to be on the ground instead of the object you actually want to seek shelter beside.

Instead we got 'stealth mode' which is used in like, one mission, and does nothing except give your character scoliosis. There's no reason they couldn't have baked this stealth mode into a crouching animation and actually made it useful.

• Like 8

Algonquin Assassin

-Certain clothes not being able to be worn with others. For example certain types shoes only being able to be worn with jeans or something.

For a game that has so much personal customisation it’s sure restrictive at times.

-Franklin not being able to play tennis for some reason, but he can play golf and do triathlons. *shrugs*

-The protagonists feeling like they’re wearing lead helmets and face plant the large majority of the time they fall.

-Forced walking sections in some missions.

-Switching to Trevor and having to change clothes where he’s wearing a dress or underwear. 

-The “swoosh” sound effect that plays  every time you fail a mission, die or get arrested.

-The GTAO promos on the loading screens every time you load up the game.

• Like 9

Boardwalk Empire Episode 2.1 Review - That Shelf

The Artist
33 minutes ago, Algonquin Assassin said:

-The GTAO promos on the loading screens every time you load up the game.

So annoying. GTA O stuff should never be shown when you're going to play Singleplayer...

- The extreme police accuracy, can kill you from far away pretty quickly

- Dumbed down crash physics compared to IV

- How everyone just walks into Michael's house lol

- Amanda, Jimmy and Tracey being too cringe and annoying

- Franklin becoming the third wheel once Trevor shows up, I was looking forward to see more of the Michael-Franklin relationship

- Stretch being a pathetic antagonist

- Brad having just 2 lines in the prologue

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

NightmanCometh96

To go back to my complaint about the lack of good ways to make cash, a big shoutout has to go to the buyable properties. It's a great idea on paper (and one that has already been done successfully in previous GTA entries), but it has one major flaw: the weekly income is downright laughable, especially when you consider how much each asset costs. 

R* really took the "Pursuit of the Almighty Dollar" tagline to the extreme, I guess. I'm certainly putting in work for that minimal amount of paper. :jkek:

• Like 2

I wish we could kill Franklin too. I like Franklin it just annoys me the other two can die but not him. Maybe if you choose to have Franklin help up Michael in the climax of Ending B, instead of headbutting him like an idiot Michael gets back to his feet then throws Franklin out to further drive the point in that ending that Michael can't be trusted. 

• Like 1
  • KEKW 1

JP0cYXG_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Quite frankly, so many stupid decisions were made that led to an almost total lack of convenience. Not being able to do simple things like leave an engine on by default or roll down all windows or etc. Another stupid thing is they added random cop chases for "ambiance" but they're always over the top, annoying and overly scripted. And often just wind up being shootouts which will ruin any good vibes and maybe lead to a random scared driver ramming you from behind. I also hate the cheat code system. The way it worked in IV was perfect, I'll never understand their decision. Then you have the absolutely dreadful vehicle pathing. Cars making really jagged turns at intersections, and then when you're coming into a corner an oncoming vehicle will detect you and think you're driving on the wrong side of the road... only to swerve directly into you. I've never experienced anything even remotely like that in any other game, it is retarded. And then the slow speeds cars drive. Most of the freeways are filled with people doing 40mph. 20mph on country roads. And yet in some sections of the map like the Pacific Coast Highway they are absolutely gunning it. Then you have the cops which is still the dumbest crap I've seen. The rubberbanding is pathetic. I've modded my cars to do top speeds way above 110-130MPH and basically when you're being chased, cops will match or even exceed the acceleration of your car no matter how fast it is, and then cap off at 120MPH and lag behind. It's pathetic. Add to that the way they can predict your every move and shoot with 99.9999999% accuracy from anywhere. The vehicle deformation is also stupid. The cars can deform, they just didn't want to do it for some reason.

Then there's the map. Los Santos is okay for the most part, but there is no sprawl. I just don't understand what they were going for. Los Angeles is primarily sprawl. This isn't some urban, high density walkable city, it isn't supposed to be. Outside of Los Santos though... the whole layout of the map is just bizarre and I cannot imagine a worse way they could've done it. It's probably the most boring and unsatisfying open-world countryside layout I've seen in any HD open world game.

Edited by ddarko12
  • Like 8

Kid Named Finger

GTA 5 is a game about making $100 million+ , but there's nothing fun to spend it on.

You should be able to buy yatches, buy factories and find them to manufacture your own custom weapons and vehicles, like a mini gun that also shoots rockets or attaching a jet engine to your car or goofy stuff like that.

I know this sounds too much, but what else do you spend your GTA money on? I've been facing this problem since GTA 3. It was especially bad in 4.

• Like 2

AC Schnitzer

- The ragdoll button (dunno how to describe it better), when after jumping and pressing circle (iirc) protagonist makes strange jump and land face down? What was the point of that? Was that meant to be some kind of dodge?

- You can carry all the weapons with You, because of reasons and You're unable to drop them (You can only in O).

- Different mechanics in V and O. I'd like to think there is another reason for it than R* trying to earn money, but I don't really see what could it be. Both versions work on the same hardware and software and since O is P2P game there is nothing that could prevent these mechanics from appearing in V - buying houses, dropping unwanted weapons, car insurance, etc.

- Lack of possibility to undress Your character without finishing the story - this is one of the biggest head scratchers for me. Why would You even impose such limitations. 

- Protagonist changing clothes on their own - especially Trevor, so every time You switch to him, his either in underwear or dress. 

Edited by AC Schnitzer
  • Like 4

gtaonefan

Three console generations and still can't buy a 99¢ Bleeder Burger smh

• Like 3

WhitetailDeer
6 hours ago, ddarko12 said:

Another stupid thing is they added random cop chases for "ambiance" but they're always over the top, annoying and overly scripted. And often just wind up being shootouts which will ruin any good vibes and maybe lead to a random scared driver ramming you from behind.

Believe me, I failed a Beverly mission because a police chase like this happened at the end of a cinematic, then during the transition to gameplay the cops went out of their car and started shooting, "scaring" Beverly apparently.

Otherwise, my OCD-inducing problem with this game is the Los Santos Transit system. The trains running on the metro line are too slow (it can be slow, but only on the tracks located at surface level, while in the underground and elevated sections it should be faster) and there should be four cars instead of two. 

Then, the fact that only one train can appear at the screen at a time, even though they run on both tracks, both directions. This is especially problematic since at the Davis station, I encountered two train running towards the point where the track form a loop, and the first train never came back from the loop (the second train came on the same track and in the same direction, however).

• Like 2

Be-Deliver
  • Wei Chen and Stretch are two antagonists that are severely underused in the story
    For a couple of bad guys you kill in Ending C for the things they've done to the trio, you'd think they'd take a sizeable portion of the story to solidify why we have to kill them both. It felt like it was slapped in at the last minute for the sake of closing the story with these guys especially with Wei Cheng.

• Switching to Trevor in his underwear feels like it happens far too often and is a chore for me to head to the nearest safehouse to put on clothes.

• Unable to drop weapons in story mode opposed to Online makes switching weapons at times tedious due to how cluttered either three's weapon inventory is as you progress through the story

• I wish insurance was a thing in story mode just like in Online, especially with expensive vehicles that are only obtainable through the in-game internet

Legomanarthur

Lots of good things mentioned here that genuinely annoy me, I'll add this:

The inability to grab onto ledges and other surfaces when you're jumping from building to building like you could in SA and IV. You can't do parkour anymore since your character no longer tries to grab onto the closest surface, even if it's a small gap. Instead they get down on their own if they're close to the ground or they just face plant instantly. I miss that, not that it was super realistic or anything but it made the exploration more fun and interesting.

15 hours ago, Kid Named Finger said:

GTA 5 is a game about making $100 million+ , but there's nothing fun to spend it on.

You should be able to buy yatches, buy factories and find them to manufacture your own custom weapons and vehicles, like a mini gun that also shoots rockets or attaching a jet engine to your car or goofy stuff like that.

I know this sounds too much, but what else do you spend your GTA money on? I've been facing this problem since GTA 3. It was especially bad in 4.

They pretty much made it easily accessible for each character to make an excess of 2 billion dollars without cheating. And then you're left with jack sh*t to buy. Meanwhile in GTA:O you have to grind like it's a job to buy maybe one horribly inflated item. Bonus points if you're "smart" about it and farm some stupid tedious heists.

I think in IV we should've been able to buy cars and customize and stuff, but you literally had penthouses and expensive cars handed to you after milestones and really just worked as a "fixer" vs someone trying to become filthy rich. In GTA V it's to pay a debt to some moron who really you could've just killed, and then to satisfy a few other clowns and fulfill Michael's boredom. Can't buy properties, you can buy businesses but they are about as half assed as it gets, and the car websites are dumbed down compared to Online until eventually they stopped adding cars altogether.

It feels like there is no incentive to play SP beyond the story and they made sure of that, it seems almost deliberate. And then in Online where you have lots to buy, you have to invest all of your time which is a chore.

Honestly more of a B&M than a weird gripe, but the idea of a game centered around heists where you can barely buy anything is as irritating as it gets.

• Like 3

Kid Named Finger
4 hours ago, ddarko12 said:

It feels like there is no incentive to play SP beyond the story and they made sure of that, it seems almost deliberate. And then in Online where you have lots to buy, you have to invest all of your time which is a chore.

It's highly likely they're gonna keep expanding on the map like in fortnite, hopefully that applies to the single player campaign as well. We don't know if this will be in the form of paid dlc or unpaid.

Best case we keep getting new content. I never play online, but worst case, the only way I'd get 500+ hours on the single player is with mods.

• Bruh 2

I don't like how Michael and Franklin are in all heists but Trevor is in only 4 of them. I don't see a workaround for this but it's still annoying. 

Related to heists, it is a bit annoying how half the heists are errands for the FIB/related to them, and few heists have no payout altogether. It would have been cliche but I would have liked to see it more like the trio pulling off audacious heist after heist for the ambition/thrill of it while their greed attracts more and more heat until it all falls apart. Then again that probably is too cliche, but atleast the heists should have been purely for us. 

• Like 5

JP0cYXG_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Homicidal Hipster

How an online update removed the ability to change clothes during a mission. It's small but it pisses me off. 

Cars will occasionally disappear from garage 

I don't have a problem with protagonist changing clothes when you haven't played them for awhile but so often the outfit is extremely mismatched. Either in colour or style. Franklin is mainly guilty of this. 

I usually have a task in mind when I switch to Trevor but so often he's either wanted by the cops or drunk and stranded in the middle of nowhere so I'll have to spend an annoying amount of time either losing the wanted level or waiting for him to sober up. 

Edited by Homicidal Hipster
  • Like 3

NightmanCometh96
6 hours ago, String said:

Related to heists, it is a bit annoying how half the heists are errands for the FIB/related to them, and few heists have no payout altogether. It would have been cliche but I would have liked to see it more like the trio pulling off audacious heist after heist for the ambition/thrill of it while their greed attracts more and more heat until it all falls apart. Then again that probably is too cliche, but atleast the heists should have been purely for us. 

That was my big issue with the SP heists. Only two of them are pulled off out of the protagonists's own means of agency. And even then, one of those two (the Merryweather Heist) literally rewards you jack sh*t; to be fair, I'll admit that this actually makes sense within the narrative and might be a decent twist on your first playthrough, but it becomes frustrating from a gameplay perspective when you consider the lack of methods to make money throughout the story.

Edited by NightmanCometh96
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, String said:

This is what I hated in particular. They made all this hype about heists only for it to be for outside characters that genuinely no one gives a f*ck about. I feel like Rockstar forgot what "fun" meant when they created this game. Everything is so mind-numbing, they managed to take one of the coolest concepts for SP and Online and consistently turned them into the lamest, unsatisfying chores. And the rewards are sh*t. This game just consistently prides itself on being annoying. The whole game feels like someone who can't get it up, and then when they finally climax it's like a short dribble and then massive refractory period :kekw: NFSW-asf analogy but I feel accurate as f*ck. The game has only ever been fun when I cheated, glitched, and then eventually turned to modding the sh*t out of it.

• Realistic Steak! 3

GTAUrbanCamping

The Map. I love the wilderness and driving down the trails, in the woods. But its so much wasted real estate and the time it takes to travel.

As per every GTA, the AI. Could you just NOT try to get around me when Im stopped? By that, I mean scrap the back of my vehicle.

Too many radio stations. Yeah I like a mix of music but the 50 different talk shows is a bit excessive.

• Like 5

Muller147
6 hours ago, GTAUrbanCamping said:

The Map. I love the wilderness and driving down the trails, in the woods. But its so much wasted real estate and the time it takes to travel.

As per every GTA, the AI. Could you just NOT try to get around me when Im stopped? By that, I mean scrap the back of my vehicle.

Too many radio stations. Yeah I like a mix of music but the 50 different talk shows is a bit excessive.

Don't forget if certain NPC's hit you hard enough when they do that stupid trying to go around you (gangsters, the truck drivers, bus driver etc) they'll then proceed to start on you like it was your fault.

Having to tap the accelerator every few seconds when stationary at lights to stop it happening really breaks the immersion of trying to drive normally.

The Artist

The wind turbulence effect while flying

Heist setup missions being counted as full missions

Too much FIB/government stuff

Scripted missions

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

Some of the character models in GTA V look weirdly copy pasted. Dave looks like Lester. Steve Haines looks like Josh Bernstein. 

Ashley looks nothing like she did in GTA IV. At all. I want to know what was going through the artist's head when modeling her. I kind of get the feeling her model was meant for some other character and it was repurposed into Ashley after several rewrites.

The "let's bounce" cutscene was removed despite being fully mocapped and seemingly complete. Ruins the delivery of Michael's response.

Every new GTA Online character is just based off mp_male now. It's incredibly lazy. Tony Prince being lower poly than he was in TBoGT is shameful.

When you switch to a character and they're complaining about traffic, then you drive 10 feet and the illusion breaks, because all those cars were scripted and the streets nearby are empty.

You can't engage in any recreational activities. No nightclubs, no restaurants, no malls. Can't even drink at Yellow Jacket Inn. It's hard to immerse yourself in the world because of this.

The fact that they remade Brucie for GTA V, cut the model before release, then remade him again except way lower res and using the multiplayer character assets.

There's not a single enterable diner in the entirety of Blaine County. They tease us with this one but they couldn't be bothered to turn it into a working interior.

The blood textures on current gen look way too dark and far bigger than they should be. They nailed it on the PS3/360 version. No idea why they changed it.

When you switch to a character and see them "walking" out of a building that has no actual interior. It feels so fake.

Trees models on current gen look too distinctive, making it much more noticeable that they're copy pasted everywhere. Modeling vegetation is a very delicate process because it needs to remain inconspicuous. This wasn't an issue on PS3/360.

Guns all sound like toys. The pistol is the worst offender. This has been an issue all throughout Rockstar's games. RDR2 corrected it however.

The billboards around the map are low res. The humor on them is dated. And you see the same ones over and over again. It's immersion breaking and just cringe to look at. Same with bus stop ads.

Edited by D T

We already have whine and complain thread, do we really need another one?

Edited by Kris194

gtaonefan
8 hours ago, Kris194 said:

I also have this weird gripe with GTA V

10 hours ago, Kris194 said:

I don't understand why criticism should be funneled into one topic from 9 years ago, while praise can be reiterated a million times across thousands of threads.

• Like 1
  • Conspiracy! 1