3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

What didn't you like about RDR2?

cant remember

cant remember

There is a lot of praise for the game, and it definitely is awesome, though now I've reached the epilogue it's definitely got its few points of criticism for me aswell so I'll start:

- SInce the map represents several entirely different states, it makes the map feel very condensed to me. I know game maps are shrunk down miniature versions but galloping 5 minutes to go from Lemoyne to the Colorado mountains felt a bit strange once the illusion wore off.

- Adding on to the map, it was a bit too rural overall for my taste, 90% of the game is spent in the wilderness, wished they focused more on time spent in the towns like Valentine etc.

- Over reliance on quick event prompts (or whatever the correct term is), press F to intervene, (and the prompt disappears so your character now gets off his horse), press E to spool dynamite, mash E to break free, mash F to push. Press E then F in sequence to push the cart. It began to seriously annoy me

- The missions are extremely "on rails". I failed a mission for "abandoning the gang" because I paused too long trying to retrieve a gun from my horse's satchel after dismounting when riding to the Braithwaithe manor. For an open world game the missions are surprisingly linear and never let you be creative, oftentimes you can't even choose which path to take to the mission's destination.

- Too many characters, when a gang member or antagonist died I sometimes couldn't even remember who they were exactly other than vaguely having heard their name dropped before or seeing them wander the camp. In Guarma I didn't even realise there was supposed to be an antagonist until after I had killed him in a quicktime event and read about him on the wiki. IMO it would have been better if your gang out of outlaws comprised of 4-5 members from the start. John Marston, Dutch, Micah, Arthur and maybe another one that dies mid-game.

• Like 2
  • WTF?! 1

This isn't a list meant to combat your own views. Just my take on the same points.

- Damn, I don't know how... but I guess some people are more kin to massive maps. The scale and variety of RDR2's game world is enormous compared to other open world games I've played. Those being Ghost Recon Wildlands, GTA IV and V, Ark, etc. Even sprinting on horseback from just Valentine to Saint Denis is quite a ways, not to mention a few changes in natural scenery on the way. And lest we forget a ride from Armadillo to Adler Ranch. Map doesn't feel condensed to me at all, but New Austin is kind of bland to me. Gotta keep in mind it is a desert, though. Not a whole lot moving around in its real world area counterpart, either.

- Too rural... lol. It's the United States in 1899. There were very few large cities at that time, and the game makes note of that. In the real world, most states had moderately sized towns and villages. Hell, even by the time the interstate highways were built, most of the country was some towns here and there. The rural aspect of the game fascinates me as I've wanted to move way out away from anyone else for years now. Playing RDR2 just gives me a facade of that same life I long for.

- I just toggle "hold" on tap assist. I don't like destroying my controller buttons or keyboard, either.

- The storyline is more of a movie, therefore allowing the player to deviate could mean they do something that would not line up with the story itself. I've failed quite a few missions for stupid reasons, but I figured that's just how it goes with most (if not all) games.

- I did have the same thing happen to me with Fussar. The storyline split to Guarma has always been odd to me, but again having things play out according to the storyline is key. Guarma seems like a last minute add-on to me, and given so much wasted space on the map (including south of the San Luis and north/west of Colter) I reckon that's the case. The rest of the characters are pretty memorable to me. Granted, I've played the game legitimately to 100% now six times.

And here's some of my own. I've played the game now for three years, so a lot of these are just quality-of-life related. I've found quite a few mods which have allowed me to change the way the game works, so a lot of these are also fixed in my eyes. The fact that these were present at all baffles me:

- Every moose is labelled as Western even though there are three coats in-game. There are four species of moose in North America: Eastern, Western, Alaska, and Shiras. I've been trying to figure up a way to use LML to rename the different coats to match their in-game area, but I'd also have to change the map data to spawn the species appropriate for the area. Thus far, the Map Editor mod doesn't allow persistent changes to map data as far as I can tell. Be nice of Rockstar would just release a mod toolkit. But... good ole Rockstar always gotta be as greedy as humanly possible, eh?

- Why is the picture of the Western Moose in the Compendium... a doe elk?

- There aren't any beavers around the waterfall up at Lake Isabella, despite there being evidence of their presence. I haven't seen any down around Crawdad Willies either. Around the time the game takes place, beavers were largely trapped out, so I kind of understand why they aren't more common (or present at all) in the southern parts of the map.

- None of the clothes exclusive to Red Dead Online are available in single player by default. This bothers me to no end as modders have to conjure up some hacky way to get the stuff in story mode, same with GTA V.

- Some of the clothing clipping bothers the absolute hell out of me. Examples being the tails of the ram shotgun coat clipping into larger chaps (like moose, bear, etc) and the union suit clipping into the player's wrist while sitting, resting, or cooking. I had to make my own worn texture for the collar overshirt just to get a worn-looking shirt that doesn't clip.

- Shotgun slugs can't clean kill medium game by default, regardless of hit area. I had to mod this in myself.

- Small caliber pistols/revolvers and throwing knives can't clean kill varmints. I had to mod this in myself, as well.

- Pistols/revolvers can't clean kill small game like squirrels and birds. I had to mod this in myself, also. Having to use small game arrows with so-so range and garbage accuracy makes hunting those little boogers a fun challenge, but when you're on the move and see like a robin or woodpecker, you can't just whip out your Mauser and bust it out of the sky. The pistols in game, in real life 1899, widely used small caliber projectiles. The .22 LR used in the Varmint Rifle isn't much smaller than cartridges used in the game's pistols' real life counterparts. I'm sure there were people shooting at and hitting small birds and mammals with pistols and revolvers back then. Lugging around a whole other rifle just for varmints which you can't even cleanly kill tiny birds and mammals with was such a hassle. Modding all that into the game allows me to carry around a long rifle or shotgun with two pistols/revolvers, being all good to go for anything that I may stumble upon.

- You can't loot special ammo types (except for fire/dynamite arrows) from NPCs as far as I know. I had to mod the loot pool of certain NPCs to make looting high velocity and express ammo a thing.

- You can't stow your lantern... despite there being an animation for it and a working function when you collect a plant or loot an item. Can't even stow it on your horse, either. Had to mod both of these in as well.

- You can't get "venom glands" from snakes to use in crafting poison arrows/knives. I kind of get it, as I'm sure snake venom wasn't terribly well-understood in 1899 compared to how it is today. Not to mention if I recall correctly snake venom goes bad after a short while like milk.

- The fact that you can use just one single plant to make poison weapons. There are tons of poisonous plants around North America, but for whatever reason only one is represented in-game. Granted, oleander has deadly toxins, but it's definitely not the only plant in the United States which can lead to death if consumed.

- Big game meat is way too easy to come across because of wolves and alligators. I understand it's more of a reward for killing predators, but damn it's way too common. I modded the loot pool of a lot of animals, and in relation to big game meat I just replaced it with game meat for wolves and herptile meat for alligators.

- You can't cook and eat crayfish... but you can with crabs. Come on, Rockstar. Can't be down in the 'glades and have a crawfish boil?

luckycanadian95

I love this game but these are my biggest issues with it:

• The off-hand holster in general (it clips into your hand and can't be removed)
  • You have to delete all your saves before starting a new game if you want to hear unique dialogue again
  • I don't like how it characterized John. In the first game he was witty, sarcastic, and talking circles around almost everyone he met. In the second game his whole personality has basically been reduced to "dumb as rocks and dull as rusted iron", which to me sounds more like a description of Bill Williamson lol
  • The backstory of John leaving the gang is a bit convoluted in RDR2, since he's shot and left for dead multiple times. I think condensing those moments into a single event would've been more impactful, since RDR1 made such a big deal out of that final betrayal.
  • Micah was a very predictable villain, from start to finish he was unlikeable. I would've preferred to see the writers do something unexpected with his character. Maybe give him a redeeming quality or two haha
  • Quest givers never leave their position (to walk around, sleep, etc.) and sometimes call you over, so you can't postpone certain missions without some immersion breaking. For example in chapter 2, Hosea is basically gatekeeping the entrance to camp lol, and keeps saying "Hey Arthur!" when you get too close. I prefer how RDR1 did the Beecher's Hope section, where your family still has a daily routine and is only available to start missions at certain times of the day.
  • I agree about the map scale, I'd rather have areas that represent a local region instead of entire states, more like how Guarma was done. And then you'd have montage-like cutscenes of the player traveling or something when you go from one region to another. That way you could still have most of the same locations but with a realistic sense of distance (this relates to open world games in general not just RDR2)
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, Pinkerton_Agent said:

I found it a bit slow when I first played it and came close to giving it up a few times, but I suppose it makes the story that much better in the end. I guess it's like a great movie that has a slow start. I also found it a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but you soon get used to it and it's not rocket science anyway. Some of the things that were added in to make it realistic were a bit annoying and so was the not infrequent pushing of a political agenda, but besides from that it's great.

The mainstory is meant to be "a bit slow" bcs of all the strange small happenings & sidemissions++. We need to upgrade our satchel, do all "challenges", search around for hidden valuables, meteors, dinosaurbones, viking-helmets and all the other more or less hidden stuff.

My first playthrough was too quick even if I should have learned from playing RDR1 several times. Just restarted again, more relaxed now and enjoying the details. 

• Like 1

Biggest things:

Too much killing and shooting. You are a cowboy and you kill like 2000 people.

Could have been slower pace. For example loading weapons are just way too fast unrealistic.

When you get wanted in most remote areas the sheriffs just pop up out of nowhere.

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1

Buddy Hightower

For me this is really easy.

1. The map is too condensed. You can cover all 5 states in less than 20 minutes.
  2. Time passes too fast on a daily biases, but too slow from the start of the story to the end.
  • Like 2

luckycanadian95
On 11/3/2022 at 8:25 AM, el capito said:

When you get wanted in most remote areas the sheriffs just pop up out of nowhere.

Forgot about that one, yeah the witness system isn't great

I think the controls and menus are a bit outdated and not that easy to get the hang of right away. Every time I return to the game Im always accidentally punching my horse a couple times or opening the wrong menu in a gunfight. Its better on PC but on a controller it took me longer than most games to properly learn. 

Agree on the witness system and how easily/random you can get wanted. Depending on what youre doing and where you are, that can be really frustrating. 

Most of my issues relate to the map.

There are too many climate zones jammed into the map. So you go from snow to tropical swamps in about ten minutes. I think they should have held back a bit on the geography, perhaps they should have saved the tropical stuff like Saint Denis and the swamps for RDR3 perhaps. 

There are problems with the rivers. This bugs me because I know a bit about rivers. IRL rivers start small and get larger as they approach their outlet. They don’t decrease in size. The Kamassa, however, starts massively (at the waterfalls in the NE) and then dwindles to a tiny stream just south of Elysian pool where you can literally wade across it. No river on earth does that. It really bugs me.

Another river problem is Flat Iron lake. Saint Denis is connected to the sea, which is presumably off the map to the east. However the Mantega Falls show that the lake empties to the west, into the San Luis river. This river then flows to the west, where it … disappears. There’s just desert there. I hate that 

• Like 3

Now for the non-map problems IMO

There are too many houses and buildings that you cannot get into. A few closed ones would be ok. But there are loads of closed ones. 

The steam locomotives are all basically the same, it would be nice to have really different types. Also, there are only three loco numbers. I have been at Annesburg and seen two locos with the same number. It’s irritating. 

Story mode: missions are usually too linear.

A day is too short. It’s only 45 minutes.

The moon travels the wrong way around the sky. Also it goes through a complete waxing-waning cycle in a single night which is hilarious.

Now for my big complaint: there’s not enough Wild West. It feels more like a sort-of Kentucky simulator than a proper Wild West game. Valentine would be better if it was moved from rich grassland and placed in New Austin for instance (or somewhere like New Austin). Personally I would cut out the whole Guarma bit and I think I would delete the bayous too. How many Wild West movies were set in the bayous or the tropics anyway? I’d cut out anything that didn’t scream Wild West

Buddy Hightower
23 hours ago, Jutland said:

Now for my big complaint: there’s not enough Wild West

RDR3 anyone?

Davey Callendar as lead character?

Seriously though, RDR2 is about the wild west ending and the gang being forced east.

11 hours ago, Buddy Hightower said:

RDR2 is about the wild west ending and the gang being forced east

Yes, that’s why there’s not enough Wild West in it lol

It’s a bit like buying a World War Two game only to discover it just contains Berlin in April 1945, and there are no missions involving D-Day or Arnhem or battle of the Bulge or Kursk or whatever, in fact you can’t play anything in the game that took place before April 1945. “Yeah it’s actually about World War Two coming to an end” but just give me an actual World War Two game, that’s what I want, not a World War Two coming-to-an-end game.

If RDR3 is Davey Callendar in the actual Wild West hey I’d buy it.

Anyway I do recognise that some people really like the whole coming-to-an-end thing, so if that’s your thing then everything’s good.

Buddy Hightower
5 hours ago, Jutland said:

Yes, that’s why there’s not enough Wild West in it lol

It’s a bit like buying a World War Two game only to discover it just contains Berlin in April 1945, and there are no missions involving D-Day or Arnhem or battle of the Bulge or Kursk or whatever, in fact you can’t play anything in the game that took place before April 1945. “Yeah it’s actually about World War Two coming to an end” but just give me an actual World War Two game, that’s what I want, not a World War Two coming-to-an-end game.

If RDR3 is Davey Callendar in the actual Wild West hey I’d buy it.

Anyway I do recognise that some people really like the whole coming-to-an-end thing, so if that’s your thing then everything’s good.

I would love to keep going back in time as the series progresses.

I did enjoy RDR2 for what it is though.

On 11/6/2022 at 10:04 PM, Jutland said:

Now for my big complaint: there’s not enough Wild West. It feels more like a sort-of Kentucky simulator than a proper Wild West game. Valentine would be better if it was moved from rich grassland and placed in New Austin for instance (or somewhere like New Austin). Personally I would cut out the whole Guarma bit and I think I would delete the bayous too. How many Wild West movies were set in the bayous or the tropics anyway? I’d cut out anything that didn’t scream Wild West

Finally, someone! Whole bayous and SD is just not Wild West.

On 11/6/2022 at 10:04 PM, Jutland said:

Now for the non-map problems IMO

There are too many houses and buildings that you cannot get into. A few closed ones would be ok. But there are loads of closed ones. 

The steam locomotives are all basically the same, it would be nice to have really different types. Also, there are only three loco numbers. I have been at Annesburg and seen two locos with the same number. It’s irritating. 

Story mode: missions are usually too linear.

A day is too short. It’s only 45 minutes.

The moon travels the wrong way around the sky. Also it goes through a complete waxing-waning cycle in a single night which is hilarious.

Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't a game about the wild west, but rather about the story of a gang of criminals that is indeed based on a real story and they really actuated on that part of america. I really enjoyed the southern setting of RDR2, unlike you I would have eliminated completely all the new austin part and I would have made Lemoyne and New Hanover way bigger, because the map really feels to cramped and small, I think that's something everybody agrees. I think Rockstar tried to give some diversity and unique setting for this story and they really did it pretty well. For someone that has played RDR1 to saciety I can say that the map becomes boring as hell, everything looks the same and there isn't much to do between settlements, while RDR2 thanks to its variety you have plenty of unique places to explore and it is FOR SURE much more replayable.

24 minutes ago, ViktorFekete said:

Finally, someone! Whole bayous and SD is just not Wild West.

Come on, the bayous are the coolest part, with the Night Folk, the ghosts, the creepy music... The bayous have allways been a hideout for multitude of outlaws, from pirates to bank robbers. Personally I would have expanded on them.

• Like 3

No, it's not, I beg to differ. The whole SD area with the bayou and all those other stuff is just bland and stupid. I know of course that we are living the time when zombies (Night Folk) and creepy music must be in everything, but honestly, a game which is Wild West theme has nothing to do with it. It should not have. Why is it cool? 

When first playing the game I was really drawn into the setting with Valentine, Strawberry, etc., and then when the plot progressed toward Guarma and SD, I found myself to rush it cause it was just not Wild West feeling. Whispering forest, night zombies and creepy music in the swamp while hunting motionless gators and fighting the Italian mafia? Well, no. 

In my opinion, NA with its emptiness is much more attractive, cause that is really wild west, has dangerous gangs, and has a really untamed and wild setting. Of course it's a last minute addition, but I still prefer it over SD and Lemoyne.

Cutter De Blanc

I don't see it so much as a "Wild West" game as much as it is a period piece set in 1899.

On topic, I hate playing as dunderheaded John Marston

Edited by Cutter De Blanc
  • Like 1

Edward RDRIII

The mission "Banking, The Old American Art" isn't polished and doesn't match the quality of the other missions, first of all we don't even see Dutch and Arthur stealing any gold bar from any of the vaults, there's a little weird lighting inside the room they hide on the building they stay until nightfall and there's also the blind guard who can't spot Dutch if he shakes his arms towards him inside the train, when I say this game needed to be delayed until 2019 I'm not joking.

22 hours ago, ViktorFekete said:

No, it's not, I beg to differ. The whole SD area with the bayou and all those other stuff is just bland and stupid. I know of course that we are living the time when zombies (Night Folk) and creepy music must be in everything, but honestly, a game which is Wild West theme has nothing to do with it. It should not have. Why is it cool? 

When first playing the game I was really drawn into the setting with Valentine, Strawberry, etc., and then when the plot progressed toward Guarma and SD, I found myself to rush it cause it was just not Wild West feeling. Whispering forest, night zombies and creepy music in the swamp while hunting motionless gators and fighting the Italian mafia? Well, no. 

In my opinion, NA with its emptiness is much more attractive, cause that is really wild west, has dangerous gangs, and has a really untamed and wild setting. Of course it's a last minute addition, but I still prefer it over SD and Lemoyne.

The game isn't wild west themed, that's the point you are missing here. RDR1 was, RDR2 isn't. Also RDR2 New Austin is probably the worst region rockstar has ever created, it is an unfinished mess that lack the origian atmosphere of the first game, the buildings don't even match the ones of the original New Austin to the point that they didn't even bothered to port the model of Tumbleweed Manor so they made a somewhat resembling house using recycled assets from the Emerald Ranch house. So probably the emptiness you are talking about is the literal emptiness of content and love that Rockstar put in that region due to lack of time or pure laziness.

Edited by stag3coach2

1 hour ago, stag3coach2 said:

The game isn't wild west themed, that's the point you are missing here. RDR1 was, RDR2 isn't. Also RDR2 New Austin is probably the worst region rockstar has ever created, it is an unfinished mess that lack the origian atmosphere of the first game, the buildings don't even match the ones of the original New Austin to the point that they didn't even bothered to port the model of Tumbleweed Manor so they made a somewhat resembling house using recycled assets from the Emerald Ranch house. So probably the emptiness you are talking about is the literal emptiness of content and love that Rockstar put in that region due to lack of time or pure laziness.

Fine then. Have it you way.

1 hour ago, ViktorFekete said:

Fine then. Have it you way.

I mean... that's the way it is, so...

God, this thread took a weird turn.

On 11/11/2022 at 8:23 AM, stag3coach2 said:

The game isn't wild west themed.... RDR1 was, RDR2 isn't.

This.  Matter of fact , while the west is indeed depicted in, well, the west, the map is in a sense reflective of the entire country, with Appalachia in the northeast, bayou southeast, plains and rockies in the midwest and right on down the line. It has the west, but it's not a wild west game.

As to the topic, honestly there wasn't much I didn't like about RDR 2. But the most annoying things for me were the idiosyncrasies with first person. For example the tendency for the view to tilt to the floor when entering or exiting through a door. Or how the view had range limits, for example in first person on a horse or a wagon you have gimbal limits as it were. On a horse I can't look down in first person, or a wagon I can't shoot targets if they are too close and low, requiring a switch to third person in these cases.

I doubt many played RDR 2 this way, but I did the whole way through. Except on the horse, where the game can be set up to switch between first and third person automatically when you mount and dismount.

Edited by smokeless6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, smokeless6 said:

This.  Matter of fact , while the west is indeed depicted in, well, the west, the map is in a sense reflective of the entire country, with Appalachia in the northeast, bayou southeast, plains and rockies in the midwest and right on down the line. It has the west, but it's not a wild west game.

As to the topic, honestly there wasn't much I didn't like about RDR 2. But the most annoying things for me were the idiosyncrasies with first person. For example the tendency for the view to tilt to the floor when entering or exiting through a door. Or how the view had range limits, for example in first person on a horse or a wagon you have gimbal limits as it were. On a horse I can't look down in first person, or a wagon I can't shoot targets if they are too close and low, requiring a switch to third person in these cases.

I doubt many played RDR 2 this way, but I did the whole way through. Except on the horse, where the game can be set up to switch between first and third person automatically when you mount and dismount.

The first person cam is pretty bad, I agree.

wangsparkinglot

Hi all, 

In the midst of a 6 100% playthrough and just got through American Venom and it struck me that why was Guido Martelli introduced in the Bare knuckle friendship mission and seen in the Gilded Cage Mission

Other than shooting his men then brawling with some of more of his men the streets of Saint Denis is freemode there is nothing further

Did I miss anything or was a future expansion canned?

Dont necessarily dislike more interested

Edit - And yes I know he is in online , question is for storymode 

Edited by wangsparkinglot

How they decided that Arthur could not go to new Austin and the way they implemented it with that damned sniper…

• Like 1

Lemoyne outlaw
On 11/11/2022 at 7:23 AM, stag3coach2 said:

i would say half of the map is wild west themed and half isn't. you have Lemoyne and Roanoke ridge that is more eastern and southern. but you also have the heartlands big valley and the grizzlies that feel western. so it is partially western themed. but i will agree with you about new Austin. it's a much worse version of the rdr1 version. i would rather they had scrapped new Austin and just make a brand new desert state north of new Austin or somewhere else. 

On 11/13/2022 at 8:23 PM, wangsparkinglot said:

Hi all, 

In the midst of a 6 100% playthrough and just got through American Venom and it struck me that why was Guido Martelli introduced in the Bare knuckle friendship mission and seen in the Gilded Cage Mission

Other than shooting his men then brawling with some of more of his men the streets of Saint Denis is freemode there is nothing further

Did I miss anything or was a future expansion canned?

Dont necessarily dislike more interested

Edit - And yes I know he is in online , question is for storymode 

there is a random encounter at doyles tavern with a prostitute. that she can lure you into the alley to have guido martellis guys ambush you. but that's it. i do wish they had done more with guido martelli and the saint denis mafia. but i guess they figure that john said he will never go back to saint denis because he hated it. 

6 hours ago, olivier8472 said:

How they decided that Arthur could not go to new Austin and the way they implemented it with that damned sniper…

yep i agree. and to add on to this i wish we could explore great plains and tall trees as arthur. but they spawn infinite auto aim pinkertons to kill you if you get too far. and i also hate the guarma sniper. i just want to explore the ocean and beach. but no some cowardly sniper shoots arthur just for wanting to enjoy the beautiful island.

• Like 1
  • Best Bru 1

Not being able to legit complete the challenges as Arthur aka entering New Austin as him, and the total butchering of John Marstons look in the epilogue

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 5:37 PM, subvod said:

This isn't a list meant to combat your own views. Just my take on the same points.

- Damn, I don't know how... but I guess some people are more kin to massive maps. The scale and variety of RDR2's game world is enormous compared to other open world games I've played. Those being Ghost Recon Wildlands, GTA IV and V, Ark, etc. Even sprinting on horseback from just Valentine to Saint Denis is quite a ways, not to mention a few changes in natural scenery on the way. And lest we forget a ride from Armadillo to Adler Ranch. Map doesn't feel condensed to me at all, but New Austin is kind of bland to me. Gotta keep in mind it is a desert, though. Not a whole lot moving around in its real world area counterpart, either.

- Too rural... lol. It's the United States in 1899. There were very few large cities at that time, and the game makes note of that. In the real world, most states had moderately sized towns and villages. Hell, even by the time the interstate highways were built, most of the country was some towns here and there. The rural aspect of the game fascinates me as I've wanted to move way out away from anyone else for years now. Playing RDR2 just gives me a facade of that same life I long for.

- I just toggle "hold" on tap assist. I don't like destroying my controller buttons or keyboard, either.

- The storyline is more of a movie, therefore allowing the player to deviate could mean they do something that would not line up with the story itself. I've failed quite a few missions for stupid reasons, but I figured that's just how it goes with most (if not all) games.

- I did have the same thing happen to me with Fussar. The storyline split to Guarma has always been odd to me, but again having things play out according to the storyline is key. Guarma seems like a last minute add-on to me, and given so much wasted space on the map (including south of the San Luis and north/west of Colter) I reckon that's the case. The rest of the characters are pretty memorable to me. Granted, I've played the game legitimately to 100% now six times.

And here's some of my own. I've played the game now for three years, so a lot of these are just quality-of-life related. I've found quite a few mods which have allowed me to change the way the game works, so a lot of these are also fixed in my eyes. The fact that these were present at all baffles me:

- Every moose is labelled as Western even though there are three coats in-game. There are four species of moose in North America: Eastern, Western, Alaska, and Shiras. I've been trying to figure up a way to use LML to rename the different coats to match their in-game area, but I'd also have to change the map data to spawn the species appropriate for the area. Thus far, the Map Editor mod doesn't allow persistent changes to map data as far as I can tell. Be nice of Rockstar would just release a mod toolkit. But... good ole Rockstar always gotta be as greedy as humanly possible, eh?

- Why is the picture of the Western Moose in the Compendium... a doe elk?

- There aren't any beavers around the waterfall up at Lake Isabella, despite there being evidence of their presence. I haven't seen any down around Crawdad Willies either. Around the time the game takes place, beavers were largely trapped out, so I kind of understand why they aren't more common (or present at all) in the southern parts of the map.

- None of the clothes exclusive to Red Dead Online are available in single player by default. This bothers me to no end as modders have to conjure up some hacky way to get the stuff in story mode, same with GTA V.

- Some of the clothing clipping bothers the absolute hell out of me. Examples being the tails of the ram shotgun coat clipping into larger chaps (like moose, bear, etc) and the union suit clipping into the player's wrist while sitting, resting, or cooking. I had to make my own worn texture for the collar overshirt just to get a worn-looking shirt that doesn't clip.

- Shotgun slugs can't clean kill medium game by default, regardless of hit area. I had to mod this in myself.

- Small caliber pistols/revolvers and throwing knives can't clean kill varmints. I had to mod this in myself, as well.

- Pistols/revolvers can't clean kill small game like squirrels and birds. I had to mod this in myself, also. Having to use small game arrows with so-so range and garbage accuracy makes hunting those little boogers a fun challenge, but when you're on the move and see like a robin or woodpecker, you can't just whip out your Mauser and bust it out of the sky. The pistols in game, in real life 1899, widely used small caliber projectiles. The .22 LR used in the Varmint Rifle isn't much smaller than cartridges used in the game's pistols' real life counterparts. I'm sure there were people shooting at and hitting small birds and mammals with pistols and revolvers back then. Lugging around a whole other rifle just for varmints which you can't even cleanly kill tiny birds and mammals with was such a hassle. Modding all that into the game allows me to carry around a long rifle or shotgun with two pistols/revolvers, being all good to go for anything that I may stumble upon.

- You can't loot special ammo types (except for fire/dynamite arrows) from NPCs as far as I know. I had to mod the loot pool of certain NPCs to make looting high velocity and express ammo a thing.

- Crafting system is extremely simplified - good example would be making cowboy boots( you need 1 rope and 1 hide(?!) to make a pair boots from the scratch. Hell, not even by today's standart it's that easy, and those things needed to be sturdy as hell! I've been buying those for years myself and been around boot makers for well over 2 decades - even fixing a pair of Women Corral boots( https://gritroutdoors.com/corral/ like those) is one hella of a task, let alone making a pair from a zero).

- You can't stow your lantern... despite there being an animation for it and a working function when you collect a plant or loot an item. Can't even stow it on your horse, either. Had to mod both of these in as well.

- You can't get "venom glands" from snakes to use in crafting poison arrows/knives. I kind of get it, as I'm sure snake venom wasn't terribly well-understood in 1899 compared to how it is today. Not to mention if I recall correctly snake venom goes bad after a short while like milk.

- The fact that you can use just one single plant to make poison weapons. There are tons of poisonous plants around North America, but for whatever reason only one is represented in-game. Granted, oleander has deadly toxins, but it's definitely not the only plant in the United States which can lead to death if consumed.

- Big game meat is way too easy to come across because of wolves and alligators. I understand it's more of a reward for killing predators, but damn it's way too common. I modded the loot pool of a lot of animals, and in relation to big game meat I just replaced it with game meat for wolves and herptile meat for alligators.

- You can't cook and eat crayfish... but you can with crabs. Come on, Rockstar. Can't be down in the 'glades and have a crawfish boil?

I was so mad about revolver not killing small game!
Mostly agree with all points. Story line being linear is "nice" for first playthroughs, but it kinda bricks replayability a lot in my book, especially since it's mostly Open world.