1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Running Cat [MP] - Chapter 1 IS OUT!

Robert17

It's about time I present to you...

spacer.png

spacer.png

IT REQUIRES BOTH DYOM REd AND DYOM IX, AND NOT THE STANDARD VERSION DYOM 8.1 (CHECK THE README.TXT FILE IN ARCHIVE FOR MORE DETAILS). EVERYTHING PROVIDED IN THE ARCHIVE IS ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED.

This is my very first mission pack, so don't expect it to be mega brilliant or something that surpasses your expectations.

As you might've noticed, the characters of this mission pack are from the main storyline of SA (with few exceptions of characters) so if you find yourself displeased with playing this kind of MP (which I admit it's kinda cliche), I suggest not playing this.

This mission pack doesn't follow a restrictive storyline order, like missions depending on the outcome of the other because this chapter is mostly an introduction of the protagonist who gets to know every other character (so expect more gameplay involvement). There are exceptions to this though, as there are issues that sometimes surface in the story. That doesn't mean you should skip the first chapter, though, as there are key points of the storyline that will be talked about in the second chapter.

With that being said, Chapter 2 will focus on the story a lot more where things truly begin to spiral out of control. That's all I can say.

I wanna take some time off and read YOUR FEEDBACK. Only through criticism and experience I can improve as a mission designer. I still hope that you'll enjoy this, but who knows.

spacer.png

The protagonist of the MP is Tyler, a Grove member who joined the gang through hard means and dedication. Throughout the beginning, he gets to know more about the OG homies, as well as CJ. He'll learn more about showing loyalty and respect that is required within the gang as he gets involved in gang related shootouts where he protects his homies and combats the enemy gangs to stop drug trafficking for good, which is GSF's main goal. That's before something drastically changes Tyler's perspective.

spacer.png

(click image to download)

CHAPTER 1

RCc1thumbnail.jpg

spacer.png

It's all thanks to @M316, for:

-playtesting the missions where he pointed out some gameplay issues

-helping me improve some dialogue lines

-making the skins

-giving me a few suggestions and tips

(Without him, the product would've been worse to some degree.)

Edited by Robert17

I appreciate some gangsta MPs in my free time

Will be glad to send feedback when it is ready

• Like 2

Ayoooooo this goes so hard bro, truly the most gangsta MP I've ever seen, I'm ABSOLUTELY stunned, the protagonist seems like he straight out of the suburbs... I mean, straight out of the hood of course, oops just a lil typo there my bad.

The dialogue is so on point like for real man, this slang is so OG homie, word up! Hey if you don't mind me asking, are you of a darker skin tone by any chance? Uhm sorry I didn't mean for that to come out as racist as it sounded, lemme rephrase: are you of african american descent my brother? 🙂

• Like 2
  • KEKW 1

-I couldn't be arsed to test missions after publishing them

Why bother releasing anything at all then?

The limit adjuster crashes the game after I go to Sweet's house in the first mission. I tried it with the required mods and the .rep file, I tried it without those, the result is the same. The only other mods I have installed are SilentPatch, Widescreen Fix and ModLoader.

2 hours ago, Satourn said:

Why bother releasing anything at all then?

The limit adjuster crashes the game after I go to Sweet's house in the first mission. I tried it with the required mods and the .rep file, I tried it without those, the result is the same. The only other mods I have installed are SilentPatch, Widescreen Fix and ModLoader.

There's a SAMP fridge object inside Sweet's interior. At some point I swear I forgot to include something but didn't realize what.

Damn, I also forgot to include Kyle's skin. This release already goes wrong 👍

Ok I fixed it, sorry for the inconvenience. Everybody please re-download the archive, cuz i forgot to include a skin.

Homelander Gets Applause GIF | Homelander Gets Applause / Homelander  Laughing | Know Your Meme

Robert when everyone likes the MP despite him being probably one of the most disliked dudes on DYOM.

• KEKW 2

Bruh I forgot I commented 💀

Your announcement was quite sudden

It makes your MP come as forgettable

At least I can review it now

16 minutes ago, SkyLow said:

Bruh I forgot I commented 💀

Your announcement was quite sudden

It makes your MP come as forgettable

At least I can review it now

Well I didn't have a promising release date.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to sound rude, but the MP will be discontinued till it gains attention and feedback. I didn't make this MP only for myself. I published the first chapter with the expectation to hear some feedback, whether good or bad, but because it seems like I'm only staring into walls, I have no reason to develop this MP's storyline further.

Grove Street Families, Los Santos, 1992.

By the eyes of a rookie starting in the world of the gangsters, we're taken back to this familiar context to see all the gang wars, drive-by and the unending dispute of Los Santos territories by a different perspective. This is "Running Cat", a Mission-Pack that tells the story of Tyler, a young man who quickly gain Grove Street's known members trust by helping them with the tasks of the hood. What might sound like a general trope, always seen around and specially made by new designers, like you, is quickly turn apart when we start playing the actual missions, shown that this is more than "just another GTA SA alternative".

The story is simple and well presented, most of the characters following their roles as they were actually written by the developers of the game themselves. Most of the dialogues also show a lot of verisimilitude with a real talk from gang members, even though some of them are taken from the real game (some of the times, of course, in order to present us a comedy sequence, such as the Big Smoke's one at the Cluckin' Bell). The characters we know from Grove Street are rich and well portrayed, each of them having their own personality traits, as well as their own motivations. But in what you should've focused more in this first presentation of the story, in this case the protagonist, is one of the main lacks of the plot. Althought it's too early to talk about character development, the first twelve missions should be enough to present at least most of the main character's motivations, which you ended up failing, in my opinion. Even though the last mission (finally) shows something regarding his past and who he is/might be, the other eleven(!) missions we follow this unknown guy who don't really add much to the environment, as he just seems like a cliche do-it-all with no personality, except the fact he's "skilled" and he's "worthy". This lack of presentation, as I said before, is finally interrupted as we arrive in the 12th and final mission of the chapter, when a figure from the main character's past suddenly appears to explain his schemes and move the plot in a different direction. As I'm a fan of plot twists myself, this one was really unexpected, due to the fact that the most developed members of the story are the ones in our side, and the plot itself gave many indications that we would stick close to them. But, also because of that, you committed a very common mistake when perpetrating this little story turnaround: the twist itself felt particularly dettached from the story, due to the lack of foreshadow to this event. We're only presented to this character in the middle of the story, without any hints or clues of this event before. This alone have the potential to make the story lose its identity. But as this is actually a more advanced storytelling concept, I won't be focusing much on it, as well as I won't take you any down notes or anything.

As for the gameplay, here I've been presented to one of the hardest sequences I've ever faced in this community. Most of the missions were just too hard, specially the first one, which I failed probably more than 15 times. Timelimits are too low, and you have to use every single second in order to get to the next level. Actors lack a bit of variety in the first few missions, but at the final of the chapter, I noticed some improvement. Combat got more and more intense after each mission, and I could see missions were getting harder and harder, in a good way. At the final of the chapter, even though I was still failing some missions, they were still enjoyable to play, compared to the first ones, that seemed to be made just to elicit rage on the player. Soundtrack is another good addition to this MP, bringing back known songs from cutscenes and from our dear Radio Los Santos, in order to enrich the environment. This and many more are the reasons why this MP is different than any trope of the DYOM Community, serving as a great start for your MP schedule. Even though we know you're not a new designer, since you've been designing single missions for a long time now, putting everything apart for a MP still a hard task, and you managed to make it in a enjoyable way in your first time.

+ Simple story

+ Rich répertoire of dialogue

+ Development of supporting characters

+ Intense combat and gameplay

+ Measured difficulty (at the end)

+ Progressive development of difficulty

+ Familiar Soundtrack

- Lack of development for the protagonist

- Lack of foreshadow for the final twist

- First missions were TOO hard!

*Since the Mission-Pack is not yet finished, I won't give you a numerical note, at least until it's done and I can evaluate the whole thing together. 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2022 at 3:49 AM, The Half-Blood Prince said:

Grove Street Families, Los Santos, 1992.

By the eyes of a rookie starting in the world of the gangsters, we're taken back to this familiar context to see all the gang wars, drive-by and the unending dispute of Los Santos territories by a different perspective. This is "Running Cat", a Mission-Pack that tells the story of Tyler, a young man who quickly gain Grove Street's known members trust by helping them with the tasks of the hood. What might sound like a general trope, always seen around and specially made by new designers, like you, is quickly turn apart when we start playing the actual missions, shown that this is more than "just another GTA SA alternative".

The story is simple and well presented, most of the characters following their roles as they were actually written by the developers of the game themselves. Most of the dialogues also show a lot of verisimilitude with a real talk from gang members, even though some of them are taken from the real game (some of the times, of course, in order to present us a comedy sequence, such as the Big Smoke's one at the Cluckin' Bell). The characters we know from Grove Street are rich and well portrayed, each of them having their own personality traits, as well as their own motivations. But in what you should've focused more in this first presentation of the story, in this case the protagonist, is one of the main lacks of the plot. Althought it's too early to talk about character development, the first twelve missions should be enough to present at least most of the main character's motivations, which you ended up failing, in my opinion. Even though the last mission (finally) shows something regarding his past and who he is/might be, the other eleven(!) missions we follow this unknown guy who don't really add much to the environment, as he just seems like a cliche do-it-all with no personality, except the fact he's "skilled" and he's "worthy". This lack of presentation, as I said before, is finally interrupted as we arrive in the 12th and final mission of the chapter, when a figure from the main character's past suddenly appears to explain his schemes and move the plot in a different direction. As I'm a fan of plot twists myself, this one was really unexpected, due to the fact that the most developed members of the story are the ones in our side, and the plot itself gave many indications that we would stick close to them. But, also because of that, you committed a very common mistake when perpetrating this little story turnaround: the twist itself felt particularly dettached from the story, due to the lack of foreshadow to this event. We're only presented to this character in the middle of the story, without any hints or clues of this event before. This alone have the potential to make the story lose its identity. But as this is actually a more advanced storytelling concept, I won't be focusing much on it, as well as I won't take you any down notes or anything.

As for the gameplay, here I've been presented to one of the hardest sequences I've ever faced in this community. Most of the missions were just too hard, specially the first one, which I failed probably more than 15 times. Timelimits are too low, and you have to use every single second in order to get to the next level. Actors lack a bit of variety in the first few missions, but at the final of the chapter, I noticed some improvement. Combat got more and more intense after each mission, and I could see missions were getting harder and harder, in a good way. At the final of the chapter, even though I was still failing some missions, they were still enjoyable to play, compared to the first ones, that seemed to be made just to elicit rage on the player. Soundtrack is another good addition to this MP, bringing back known songs from cutscenes and from our dear Radio Los Santos, in order to enrich the environment. This and many more are the reasons why this MP is different than any trope of the DYOM Community, serving as a great start for your MP schedule. Even though we know you're not a new designer, since you've been designing single missions for a long time now, putting everything apart for a MP still a hard task, and you managed to make it in a enjoyable way in your first time.

+ Simple story

+ Rich répertoire of dialogue

+ Development of supporting characters

+ Intense combat and gameplay

+ Measured difficulty (at the end)

+ Progressive development of difficulty

+ Familiar Soundtrack

- Lack of development for the protagonist

- Lack of foreshadow for the final twist

- First missions were TOO hard!

*Since the Mission-Pack is not yet finished, I won't give you a numerical note, at least until it's done and I can evaluate the whole thing together. 

Thanks for the feedback. I understand the storyline itself doesn't deserve much appreciation. You made me think about re-making the first chapter in a way where Tyler is a bit more in the spotlight with more foreshadowing (not knowing if the mission concepts will remain intact, though), but only later in the development.

However, I considered gameplay to have balanced difficulty. I don't think it's too hard to the point where you point some missions as the "hardest sequences you've ever faced". Sure, the first mission was a bit too extreme, but not the same thing with the rest of the missions. The first mission was heavily tested, because I had to cut out 50% of the harder difficulty it had at first due to my playtester complaining too much about it. I didn't consider decreasing difficulty any more after that, and there's also nothing I can do about it. The key here, unlike in some gameplay concepts, is to try to be patient and more precise.

As for the timelimits, perhaps you have some driving skill issues, no offense. In my testing, if I reached a location in 2 minutes, I'd add 30 more seconds in case you'd mess up crashing into objects and cars few times. I don't know how you managed to fail at those.

Please mention the other first missions where the difficulty was too "next level". You're not specific about it.