Grand Theft Auto: Ready2Play (Full Game, Windows version)

LuKeStorm

On 8/27/2023 at 1:54 PM, BapaLynde said:

The launcher exe appears to contain a virus...

Edit - I've done a bit of digging and feel happy enough that the 'virus' is a false positive, I'm now having an issue with setting up the controls. the controller (tried a 360 and a generic pad) simply doesn't register either in game or in the settings. 

Anyone had this issue?

It's a false positive and guaranteed doesn't contain a Virus/Trojan.
Just in general: It's even worse when people then firmly claim it without doing any research.
I recently had to make the experience with one of my other project, I'm annoyed by the way how some people handle a supposed detection of a Virus/Trojan.

Regarding controller
R2P doesn't contain improved controller support or compatibility and therefore it can happen that controllers aren't properly detected or not detected at all.

Edited by LuKeStorm

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I felt bad about coming so quick with the virus thing - hence the edit.

No worries RE the controller support. Running through Steam as a non-steam game and doing some button mapping works a treat, as I'm sure other button mappers would. 

4 hours ago, Yutes of Cards said:

Question does it have save states?

No unfortunately has no save states. The DOS version with dosbox emulator also has such a function only through the emulator.

Yutes of Cards
58 minutes ago, LuKeStorm said:

No unfortunately has no save states. The DOS version with dosbox emulator also has such a function only through the emulator.

The only reason i use save states because of the stupid only once shot at missions no like retries

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some year's ago with GTA1 i got a bug with police: i got 4 face police more and more times and after a while there weren't police cars anymore...

Can you check this?

3 hours ago, FulVal85 said:

Some year's ago with GTA1 i got a bug with police: i got 4 face police more and more times and after a while there weren't police cars anymore...

Can you check this?

I heard before that only a certain number of police cars are on the map in GTA 1 and the London expansions. After they're gone no more will spawn. This makes sense as if a police car is damaged later on you'll still see the same damaged police car driving around. So if this is right then this is how the game is intended to behave.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably stupid question: Does Ready2Play include the game itself or you need already installed?

Edited by kasaki750

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to get the original version to work, and just found this. Holy sh*t. I'm so grateful, mate. Absolutely love this game and have been trying to play it for a while. 

"I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings."

Rodney_Morash

does anyone have any recommendations on getting Xbox 360 controller compatibility for these 3 games?

• 1 month later...

I cannot thank you enough, I had no idea playing the Windows version of 1969/61 with working music, noCD and widescreen was even possible. 

Just one small gripe. When I scale up the game to HD widescreen via the 16:9 option and OpenGL nearest filtering. The Intro video becomes small and centered. Any way to scale that up too? I also noticed that the intro video in the DOS version of GTA1 might be better as it's in full 4:3 instead of being in an incorrect aspect ratio having borders on the top and bottom. Any way to bring that over in this pack (i.e. scaling to proper 4:3) would be neat but otherwise amazing work man

Edited by ArhumMK51

Awesome ! I remember FunkyFr3sh telling me about it but I only tested the pack properly now, great work !

Should probably be pinned up there in place of the MAX PACK as I doubt I'll ever update it again (especially now that there's R2P)

• Like 3

I actually managed to combine both Max Pack and R2P as the only real difference between DOS and Windows versions are the platform specific files within the respective gtados and gtawin folders. So by simply moving over the GTADOS folder, the dosbox.exe and glide.dll/dgvoodoo. Then moving the CDAUDIO.DAT of the respective games to the existing music folder of R2P then editing the CD music paths within dosbox. I am able to run both Max Pack and R2P versions as I wish. 

It's pretty neat as even save files are *mostly* compatible but DOS is bugged due to the widescreen patch and how the game stores resolutions. I haven't tested thoroughly if this causes any other conflicts or crashes. But maybe in the future, both can be combined together to give players the options (though DOS is obsoleted by the Windows version other than emulator features like save states which GTA1 really needs lol)

("GTA DOS MAX PACK" is actually doxbox.exe here)

spacer.png

Edited by ArhumMK51
  • Like 3

For anybody interested, I've made Polish translation compatible with this release and also translated the whole settings application.

Here's a link.

Credits:

Cenega - Official translation of GTA (1) and London 1969.

Krzysztof "Texel" Gudyka - Unofficial translation of London 1961.

Me (Patrxgt) - Making those translations compatible with R2P release, translation of the "Settings.exe" application and making custom bitmap of Polish flag for said application.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey just found this and mus say THANK YOU :)

There are only 2 things im Missing:

Possibilty to play in german but uncut that means i can play the woman as example.

Also  this for GTA 2 :O

And one question wich controller will work? I Tryed some third party (non xbox)  contoller and didnt worked.

4 hours ago, Glurak said:

Hey just found this and mus say THANK YOU :)

There are only 2 things im Missing:

Possibilty to play in german but uncut that means i can play the woman as example.

Also  this for GTA 2 :O

And one question wich controller will work? I Tryed some third party (non xbox)  contoller and didnt worked.

The ability to play as a woman only in English actually goes back to the original release in 1997. I heard before that they added the female characters late in development, so that's probably related to it. If I am correct, I don't think they changed any dialogue referring to your character as a man either. At least if they didn't add any text it should be easier to allow players to choose a female character in other languages, as text files will not need to be altered.

4 hours ago, jm-9 said:

The ability to play as a woman only in English actually goes back to the original release in 1997. I heard before that they added the female characters late in development, so that's probably related to it. If I am correct, I don't think they changed any dialogue referring to your character as a man either. At least if they didn't add any text it should be easier to allow players to choose a female character in other languages, as text files will not need to be altered.

No they changed it because of Censoring. Dont ask why :) Germany was back then really hard with harm against woman and blood in general inside of games :) it should be possible to uncencsor it somehow but my knowlegde is not high enough for that.  I guess let the game think its set to english but german text is inside or soemhow

Edited by Glurak

21 minutes ago, Glurak said:

No they changed it because of Censoring. Dont ask why :) Germany was back then really hard with harm against woman and blood in general inside of games :) it should be possible to uncencsor it somehow but my knowlegde is not high enough for that.  I guess let the game think its set to english but german text is inside or soemhow

Ah yes, that's right. GTA games were censored up to at least San Andreas (not sure about LCS and VCS). One of the more well-known early examples of this is the PAL version of Contra on NES, which was renamed to Probotector and features robots instead of humans. Another famous example is Wolfenstein 3D, which was banned on release because of Nazi imagery. At least in GTA III and Vice City you can remove it by selecting English. Or use mods on PC of course.

I have no idea if this could cause problems, but this is something you could try. The language files are in the game\gtadata folder. They are in .fxt format, so german.fxt, french.fxt, etc. You could rename english.fxt to something else, and then copy german.fxt and rename the copy to english.fxt. Then select English in the game's settings. The game will use english.fxt, which of course now has German text.

By the way, one thing I have always liked about GTA is its robust (for the era) language support from the start, featuring four languages in its first release, when the series wasn't even established.

Edited by jm-9

1 hour ago, jm-9 said:

Ah yes, that's right. GTA games were censored up to at least San Andreas (not sure about LCS and VCS). One of the more well-known early examples of this is the PAL version of Contra on NES, which was renamed to Probotector and features robots instead of humans. Another famous example is Wolfenstein 3D, which was banned on release because of Nazi imagery. At least in GTA III and Vice City you can remove it by selecting English. Or use mods on PC of course.

I have no idea if this could cause problems, but this is something you could try. The language files are in the game\gtadata folder. They are in .fxt format, so german.fxt, french.fxt, etc. You could rename english.fxt to something else, and then copy german.fxt and rename the copy to english.fxt. Then select English in the game's settings. The game will use english.fxt, which of course now has German text.

By the way, one thing I have always liked about GTA is its robust (for the era) language support from the start, featuring four languages in its first release, when the series wasn't even established.

will try this later but would be nice when it would be out of the box with this luncher :)

i tryed it and nope  its then cencored :(

so i guess the censoring is happening in the FXT file. 

11 hours ago, Glurak said:

i tryed it and nope  its then cencored :(

so i guess the censoring is happening in the FXT file. 

That's interesting. I would have thought it was a setting in the game itself based on language. So it looks like you're right, it is in the fxt file. I guess the only option would be to find an fxt editor and try to see where the difference between english.fxt and german.fxt is.

But yes, I agree, it would be a nice addition to this version out of the box.

Edited by jm-9

LuKeStorm

I know about the female character, but I haven't looked into it any further. Maybe at some point in the future.

@Patrxgt
Thanks for the translation.

I will release a small maintenance update in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
LuKeStorm

R2P Update v20240206
- Updated: DirectDraw wrapper
- Updated: CD Audio wrapper
- Added: Support for unofficial Polish language (Enable/Disable - thanks @Patrxgt for preparing the lang files)
- Minor launcher code changes/improvements

Link in first post, Enjoy!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Alkimical

Any trainer, mod menu or at least cheat engine sheet?