GTA VI PC Discussion, Requirements...

Vice Cit

Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?  

585 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?

• PC
    • Console

I honestly think the Starfield reqs will be pretty close honestly, for 1080p low/med and 1080p high 60. 1440p and beyond will require 3000 series GPU's or equivalent probably. I know BGS games aren't known for their fidelity and while the environment stuff in Starfield looks fantastic the character models and animations aren't R* level, which is understandable given the sheer scale and scope of Starfield, but Starfield is probably the closest we'll get this entire generation to something that has the under the hood complexity that GTA VI will have.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I honestly think the Starfield reqs will be pretty close honestly, for 1080p low/med and 1080p high 60. 1440p and beyond will require 3000 series GPU's or equivalent probably. I know BGS games aren't known for their fidelity and while the environment stuff in Starfield looks fantastic the character models and animations aren't R* level, which is understandable given the sheer scale and scope of Starfield, but Starfield is probably the closest we'll get this entire generation to something that has the under the hood complexity that GTA VI will have.

Yeah I think so too. One thing I don't like about Starfield's requirements is zero detail about resolution, frame-rate and settings listed anywhere. 

Now Cyberpunk 2077 does that so much better

0fd3c79eafd5ed6b7573ee6133c8c31902323f4453ad15e5.jpg?gq0rll

My 4 year old RX 5700 XT is listed for High Preset 1080p 60 fps which I'd love to see in GTA VI as well.

Also Series S GPU is well below Starfield's minimum requirements which is kinda odd.

Also: "Diablo 4 is a great PC port - except you need a 16GB graphics card to match PS5" Digital Foundry :wtfmichael:

Edited by Yoona
  • Like 1

Yea I'm assuming Starfield's reqs are 1080p only, cause I'd imagine 1440p reqs would probably ask for a 3060, 4k 3080, etc. Would be nice if they gave us a modern sys req post but I suppose we'll find out soon enough how that game scales, again, it could be very telling for VI in future.

And yea, D4 on PC runs great except it manages texture memory so poorly that you basically need a 16gb card if you want the ultra textures lol. Memory mismangement is a big issue right now on PC, VRAM requirements are off the charts because developers aren't adapting to DX12 well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yea I'm assuming Starfield's reqs are 1080p only, cause I'd imagine 1440p reqs would probably ask for a 3060, 4k 3080, etc. Would be nice if they gave us a modern sys req post but I suppose we'll find out soon enough how that game scales, again, it could be very telling for VI in future.

And yea, D4 on PC runs great except it manages texture memory so poorly that you basically need a 16gb card if you want the ultra textures lol. Memory mismangement is a big issue right now on PC, VRAM requirements are off the charts because developers aren't adapting to DX12 well.

RTX 2080 is more powerful than RTX 3060 though. That's still 1080p 60 fps requirements imo.

Edited by Yoona

16 minutes ago, Yoona said:

RTX 2080 is more powerful than RTX 3060 though. That's still 1080p 60 fps requirements imo.

I always think more 3060 Ti performance when I think 3060 lol, but you're right. I think probably somewhere between 2080S-3060 Ti will be the 1440p/60 recommended card for next-gen only titles for a few years, with a 3080 for 4k/60. DLSS/FSR obviously muddles with this quite a lot, but raw performance wise the 3080 is basically the lowest tier 4k/60 card on the market still for nVidia.

The 3070's in a really dodgy spot cause of it's VRAM. Performance wise it should still be the de facto 1440p/60 stomper but it's 8gb of VRAM has really curtailed it's lifespan somewhat. Went from being the bargain buy to the problematic card for everyone who bought it, my self included lol.

• Like 2

Yeah buying an 8GB card doesn't seem to make much sense anymore, of course poor optimizations don't help on this regard but with last gen consoles finally being dropped I do think games will need more memory. We've already seen some instances where a 3060 12GB can outperform the 3060Ti or even the 3070 because games were hitting the VRAM limit, 6GB and 8GB GPUs are definitely not going to age well.

The new RTX 4060 Ti is DOA IMO, not only it has only 8GB of VRAM but its bus will be a major limiting factor if you're going to play at a resolution that is above 1080p. In terms of performance it is very close to a 3060 Ti so yeah, probably this class of GPUs is still going to be 1440p60 capable for a few more years. I have doubts on the future 4K capabilities of the 3080 tho, 10GB or 12GB of VRAM is a brutal limit at that resolution and some games already struggled with it. Atm I would say AMD RDNA2 are the best mid-range offerings, I bought a RX 6700 XT a few months ago for 350€ and I'm more than happy with it.

Another thing that I think is approaching its final days is the famous sentence "16GB of RAM are enough for gaming". More and more games are now recommending 32GB and with RAM being fairly cheap it does make sense to go for that amount of memory these days.

For GTA VI (no RT) I would expect something like this:

- 1080p60: RX 6600 XT / RTX 3060 + 16GB RAM + i5 11th gen and below / Ryzen 5 3000 series and below + NVME

- 1440p60: RX 6700 XT / RTX 4060 Ti 16GB + 32GB RAM + i5 12th gen / Ryzen 5 5600 + NVME

- 4K60: RX 7900 XTX / RTX 4080 + 32GB RAM + i5 12th gen / Ryzen 5 5600 + NVME

I really like when developers give a more detailed table with various resolutions/FPS targets, but those Cyberpunk requirements are weird... There are like 6-7 years of difference between CPUs in minimum and recommended requirements and a Ryzen 7 7800X seems overkill if all you want is 1080p60 at high details with no RT. And the RTX 2060 is a 6GB card, why would it be listed for RT minimum if 8GB are required?

Yea the Cyberpunk chart is a bit all over the place, recommending a 7800X for high 1080p/60 seems mad. I can't imagine the requirements are gonna shoot up that much, perhaps they're just playing it safe or something, idk.

The updated Cyberpunk reqs are very strange. 12700 for 1080p 60 is kind of hilarious, because I've been playing the current (pre-PL) build of the game on my 12700k, and the game barely breaks 30-40% CPU usage when locked to that framerate at 1080p. They've got to be overestimating.

Edited by Xerukal
  • Like 2

JohnCGaming

Minimum requirements usually have some mild hedging of bets. I definitely got GTA V for the PC working below almost all specifications except for RAM.

Cyberpunk's new requirements are a new level of hedging lol. Like it's been said, the CPU requirements bonkers in particular, "requiring" a current generation CPU for game that's near 3 years old cause of an expansion is absurd. Even GTA VI likely won't have a 7800x in it's recommended for 1080p.

Like, the jump between a 1600 for 1080p low and a 7800x for 1080p high is absolutely f*cking mental. That's like a jump between an nVidia 970 and a 3080 or something absurd.

I get they're updating the visuals and want to set a new minimum that's playing it relatively safe given the games rocky launch, but they're taking the piss with some of those requirements. Even the RAM is weird, recommending 20gb? 24gb? You can feasibly have those exact numbers but it's highly unlikely anyone would, virtually everyone will go from 16gb to 32gb. It's just a weird set of requirements overall.

ShotGunRain

Ain't no way they are going to require 40 series for 1440p 60fps. If PS5 is going to do 1440p and 60fps, a gaming pc of its caliber should easily do the same. For 1440p 60fps high settings 2080 Super and 3700x should be enough. I trust in Rockstar's ability to optimize the game. 

The 2080 SUPER and the new 4060 Ti are not that far away in terms of raster performance. When RDR2 came out my old RTX 2060 was able to stay a bit above 60 FPS at 1440p, while GTA V wasn't really a great experience on the GTX 960 if you were going above 1080p. I think most game developers these days would target the current 60 class GPUs for a smooth 1440p60 experience.

Bare also in mind that this NVIDIA generations is a bit weird, the 3060 Ti and the 4060 Ti are basically on par in terms of raster performance and if we look at the specs it's easy to see why:

- RTX 4060 Ti: AD106 - GPU die size 190mm^2 - bus width 128 bit

- RTX 3050: GA106 - GPU die size 276mm^2 - bus width 128 bit

Comparing the die size is always a bit tricky because these are 2 different architectures, but if we look at the naming conventions and the bus width we can see that the new 4060 Ti is basically a 50 class GPU with the wrong name on it. 

3 hours ago, ShotGunRain said:

Ain't no way they are going to require 40 series for 1440p 60fps. If PS5 is going to do 1440p and 60fps, a gaming pc of its caliber should easily do the same. For 1440p 60fps high settings 2080 Super and 3700x should be enough. I trust in Rockstar's ability to optimize the game. 

Who said it's gonna do 1440p 60fps on PS5? I very heavily doubt the game will have a 1440 60fps mode on PS5. I doubt it'll have any 60fps mode at all. It probably will turn out like Starfield, where there's only one mode at upscaled 4K 30fps with an internal resolution lower than 1440p. Plus, it's generally easier to optimise it for consoles as well.

I don't think you'll be able to hold 60fps at 1440p with high settings, at least not without aggressive FSR/DLSS settings. 2080 Super can't really hold 60fps in RDR2 at 1440p without a mix of medium, high, and ultra settings natively, and VI will be far more technically intensive. And all of that's not even taking ray-tracing into account.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ShotGunRain said:

For 1440p 60fps high settings 2080 Super and 3700x should be enough. I trust in Rockstar's ability to optimize the game. 

That's not even really enough for 1440p 60 on high in Cyberpunk lol, and that games lead platform was PC, where it's always ran pretty decent.

Console and PC's of similar hardware are tough to compare 1:1 because console optimisation is different, they're able to push more out of a fixed set of hardware vs the cheeseboard of PC hardware where they have to account for countless combinations of hardware.

Also, we have a PBM floating around these parts, just report and move on. :)

7 hours ago, Zapper said:

Who said it's gonna do 1440p 60fps on PS5? I very heavily doubt the game will have a 1440 60fps mode on PS5. I doubt it'll have any 60fps mode at all. It probably will turn out like Starfield, where there's only one mode at upscaled 4K 30fps with an internal resolution lower than 1440p. Plus, it's generally easier to optimise it for consoles as well.

I don't think you'll be able to hold 60fps at 1440p with high settings, at least not without aggressive FSR/DLSS settings. 2080 Super can't really hold 60fps in RDR2 at 1440p without a mix of medium, high, and ultra settings natively, and VI will be far more technically intensive. And all of that's not even taking ray-tracing into account.

GTA V E&E already runs at 1440p 60 fps on PS5/XSX which makes his claim even more bizzare that "next gen" GTA game would run just as good on the same consoles.

RTX 4060 is releasing on June 29th but it will only offer 1.2X performance of RTX 3060 while also only having 8 GB of VRAM. PC gamers please don't support this greedy behaviour from Nvidia..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yoona said:

RTX 4060 is releasing on June 29th but it will only offer 1.2X performance of RTX 3060 while also only having 8 GB of VRAM.

Now I'm waiting for someone to explain to me how is RTX 4060 successor to RTX 3060 :prismkek:

22 hours ago, Moncastler said:

For GTA VI (no RT)

What does it mean "no RT"? Oh, fellow PC gamers, you finally need to realize, that there is no RT/non RT world anymore. Didn't Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition make this clear enough?

13 hours ago, ShotGunRain said:

You don't expect optimization, you expect some kind of magic. Moreover, who said, that next GTA will run on PS5 at 1440p60 or 60 FPS at all? Every single time there's a new game from Rockstar coming to PC a lot of PCs are almost catching on fire, that's how demanding they are but somehow you expect it to be different this time when this is literally GTA IV again (next-gen game).

Literally many PCs when next GTA comes to PC

What can I say, RDRII, that came out less than 4 years ago taught a lot of you nothing about hardware, optimization, requirements and so on.

Edited by Kris194

53 minutes ago, Kris194 said:

What does it mean "no RT"? Oh, fellow PC gamers, you finally need to realize, that there is no RT/non RT world anymore. Didn't Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition make this clear enough?

Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition is the exception rather than the rule... According to PCGamingWiki there are around 170 games on PC that have ray-tracing support, only 4 of them are listed as RT-only: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_games_that_support_ray_tracing

We're still far away from that reality, consoles do not have the horsepower to deliver good looking visuals with RT on while mantaining a solid framerate. Hell, even most PC gamers are not able to do it atm, RDNA2 and Turing cards are barely usable if you turn on RT and everything released before doesn't even have Hardware RT cores.

• 4 weeks later...
FatCarlJonhson

In the leaked videos of GTA 6 development the game was using DirectX 12, so there's hope that the PC version won't take too long to arrive! Red Dead 2 took 1 year (2019),and be well optimized i hope

Edited by FatCarlJonhson

Just now, FatCarlJonhson said:

In the leaked screenshots of GTA 6 development the game was using DirectX 12, so there's hope that the PC version won't take too long to arrive! Red Dead 2 took 1 year (2019),and be well optimized i hope

Red Dead 2 is very well optimised on PC so hopefully that's a good sign for GTA VI, I think we're long past the days of GTA IV on PC. :kekw:

FatCarlJonhson
3 minutes ago, SgtGravy said:

Red Dead 2 is very well optimised on PC so hopefully that's a good sign for GTA VI, I think we're long past the days of GTA IV on PC. :kekw:

It's just that all the games that are coming out for PC are a real sh*t in terms of optimization, it seems that the pandemic has reset the developers' brains to 0%, everything has changed for the worse!

56 minutes ago, FatCarlJonhson said:

In the leaked videos of GTA 6 development the game was using DirectX 12, so there's hope that the PC version won't take too long to arrive! Red Dead 2 took 1 year (2019),and be well optimized i hope

I'm sorry to tell you this, but it just doesn't mean anything.

TheOverlookHotel
17 minutes ago, xVanroth said:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but it just doesn't mean anything.

Lmao it’s like people are just now learning that they develop games on PC. 

FatCarlJonhson
2 minutes ago, TheOverlookHotel said:

Lmao it’s like people are just now learning that they develop games on PC. 

Of course I know that all games, even console exclusives, are developed on PCs with high-end cards, but that doesn't magically prevent games from being launched badly on PC!

TheOverlookHotel
4 minutes ago, FatCarlJonhson said:

Of course I know that all games, even console exclusives, are developed on PCs with high-end cards, but that doesn't magically prevent games from being launched badly on PC!

I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about how you said since they're using a DirectX 12 that the game might arrive on PC sooner. Thats not how it works. 

FatCarlJonhson
36 minutes ago, TheOverlookHotel said:

I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about how you said since they're using a DirectX 12 that the game might arrive on PC sooner. Thats not how it works. 

Yes, sorry, I got confused, that's not how it works, I know...

• 2 weeks later...

This could be interesting in regards to future Rockstar releases on PC: https://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-2-steam-announcement/

I don't know if it's a direct consequence of Microsoft's acquisition, but Blizzard putting their games to Steam is big and it makes me think that publishers are slowly realizing that they can't ignore the most popular PC launcher anymore.

Will Rockstar release GTA VI (and the rumoured RDR) exclusively on RGL for a limited time? I honesty doubt it.

But if they're going to put all their new releases on Steam on day one, then what's the point of RGL? Let's be honest, if people can choose between Steam and RGL from day one we all know where 99% of people are going to buy the game.

Even though I still run Windows, I strongly believe that Linux will continue to improve to the point where many people could seriously consider to make the switch for their gaming needs. And it's not just the desktop space, the Steam Deck was a massive hit and I can totally see more domestic/handled consoles in the future coming bundled with SteamOS or another Linux distro. MacOS is also making some interesting progress lately, x86 emulation and translation layers are already showing decent results. Currently MacOS + Linux make up for about 25% of the global desktop user space, these numbers can't be ignored. Which are the official launchers available on Linux and MacOS? Steam and... Nothing else.

I'm not saying that Rockstar is going to pull RGL's plug anytime soon, but its existence in the distant future IMO isn't a given.

Edited by Moncastler

NightmanCometh96

R* strikes me as being too stubborn of a company to completely ditch the RGL (at least in the short-term future), let alone do day one releases on multiple storefronts. The best-case scenario I can see is "small" gaps between the releases on their own launcher and Steam/Epic (e.g. RDR2 releasing in November 2019 for RGL/Epic and early December that year for Steam). As long as it's not a year+ long wait for (seemingly) no f*cking reason like the DE. And that's not to mention the lack of E&E on PC (if R* even intends to release it on the platform at this point) almost a year and a half after the console release, but that's a whole other can of worms and beside the point.

Hopefully Rockstar and Take-Two are paying attention to the Steam Deck's success; mentioning native support for the device when the DE hit Steam was a good sign (although incidentally, the originals would have had been a better fit for the Deck in terms of performance and battery life at lower wattages if they were still available on the storefront. But again, that's neither here nor there).

Edited by NightmanCometh96
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Moncastler said:

This could be interesting in regards to future Rockstar releases on PC: https://www.pcgamer.com/overwatch-2-steam-announcement/

I don't know if it's a direct consequence of Microsoft's acquisition, but Blizzard putting their games to Steam is big and it makes me think that publishers are slowly realizing that they can't ignore the most popular PC launcher anymore.

Most can't ignore Steam but some can.

Diablo 4 sold best on PC and D4 was Blizzard's best selling game ever. Blizzard can ignore Steam and have done for a long time. What's changed is potentially a mix of MS but also the result of mismanagement. It's likely no coincidence that on the day they announced that Overwatch 2 is bleeding players that they're bringing the game to Steam. Overwatch 2 has been mismanaged to hell and back, hell, Overwatch as a franchise is up there with the most mismanaged games of all time. This feels like Blizzard hoping to give the game a bit of umph player wise as they launch a big summer update... which has little to no hype cause of the mismanagement I mentioned earlier.

It also should be noted that this isn't them abandoning Battle.net at all. Battle.net is more than a store, it's the online network connecting all their games. You may not need the client if you purchase the game on Steam but you will almost undoubtably need a Battle.net account.

I doubt this means much for the RGL my self. I'd be very surprised if the RGL went anywhere, no publisher has shown signs of straight up abandoning their own client as it's throwing away the full cut of sales. So I think RGL will continue to exist, I think VI PC (whenever that launches) will be RGL day 1 at minimum and I also think that any VI keys purchased will likely result in a RGL version of the game - if you want it on Steam you'll have to buy it on Steam essentially.

This is such a good video that every video-game developer should follow. I hope Rockstar follows at least some these points like, having original/console settings, visually responsive graphics settings should be considered.

• Realistic Steak! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing a lot of GPU tech talk so I gotta ask:

With the cards currently available, which one would be ideal to purchase? One without an 8GB VRAM limit and great power. Any suggestions? I may need to upgrade in the time between now and GTA VI's release.