GTA VI PC Discussion, Requirements...

Vice Cit

Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?  

585 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?

• PC
    • Console

Frantz Fuchs

Intel 12th gen

16 gb ram

rtx 3060

• 2 weeks later...
gregorius11
Posted (edited)

As spotted by VGC on May 31, when recently asked about GTA 6 coming to PC during an interview at a conference this week, we got this fun word salad from Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick:

"Well, the lack of an announcement is not something that could be set in stone as near as I could tell, because the only thing that happens after the lack of an announcement is an announcement, I suppose, or a continuing lack of an announcement. I guess that could happen, too. It doesn’t seem to me that either would be set in stone. But Rockstar has an approach to platforms which we’ve seen before. And they will make more announcements in due time. I do believe that the right strategy for our business is to be where the consumer is, and historically what this company has done is address consumers anywhere they are, on any platform that makes sense, over time. Okay?"

Cheers Strauss.

Edited by gregorius11

Moncastler
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, gregorius11 said:

because the only thing that happens after the lack of an announcement is an announcement, I suppose, or a continuing lack of an announcement

Uhhh, yeah, that's basic logic Strauss.

It either gets announced... Or it doesn't :kekw:

But Rockstar has an approach to platforms which we’ve seen before

Yes, and it's an approach that doesn't make sense in today's industry

I do believe that the right strategy for our business is to be where the consumer is

The consumer is on PC. Much more than on Xbox and about on par with PS5

on any platform that makes sense, over time

How doesn't PC make sense for a day 1 release? Is everyone stupid except Rockstar?

I mean, I'm not surprised by the empty PR words that Strauss said here, but damn couldn't he just have gone the usual "Follow Rockstar for potential new announcements"? It sounds much better than all these meaningless words.

Edited by Moncastler

kabbee
32 minutes ago, Moncastler said:

Uhhh, yeah, that's basic logic Strauss.

It either gets announced... Or it doesn't :kekw:

Yes, and it's an approach that doesn't make sense in today's industry

The consumer is on PC. Much more than on Xbox and about on par with PS5

How doesn't PC make sense for a day 1 release? Is everyone stupid except Rockstar?

I mean, I'm not surprised by the empty PR words that Strauss said here, but damn couldn't he just have gone the usual "Follow Rockstar for potential new announcements"? It sounds much better than all these meaningless words.

He sounded way to much like a politician and that interview. If it released on PC day 1 it would 100 % guarantied sell more copies then the Xbox version would. 

If I'm correct the trailer was caputed on 2K 30fps, PS5 will probably not be able to run it at 1080p60fps so your system has to be more powerful that a PS5 so maybe 4070 and up?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nzoth said:

If I'm correct the trailer was caputed on 2K 30fps, PS5 will probably not be able to run it at 1080p60fps so your system has to be more powerful that a PS5 so maybe 4070 and up?

The trailer was 1440p upscaled to 4k w/ FSR2, running at 30fps, probably on a base PS5 or equivalent hardware.

60fps might not be a thing more so because of the CPU than the GPU.

Also, a 4070 is orders of magnitude more powerful than the PS5's GPU lol.

BS_BlackScout

Beautiful nothing burger from Strauss.

• YEE 1
  • KEKW 2

ballstorture
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Jason said:

Also, a 4070 is orders of magnitude more powerful than the PS5's GPU lol.

Sure it's pretty enough for simply match console graphics quality,a 4070 or 3080's is arguably analogous to the rumored ps5 pro's gpu in raster performance.But if we are talking about 1080p with actual closer to max settings way beyond console parameters then this is not something screaming unreasonable either,considering one wouldn't even bother to mess with any upscalers under such resolution anyway

Edited by ballstorture

2 hours ago, ballstorture said:

Sure it's pretty enough for simply match console graphics quality,a 4070 or 3080's is arguably analogous to the rumored ps5 pro's gpu in raster performance.But if we are talking about 1080p with actual closer to max settings way beyond console parameters then this is not something screaming unreasonable either,considering one wouldn't even bother to mess with any upscalers under such resolution anyway

The game won't require a 4070 to run at 60fps at 1080p, on any settings. If GTA VI can't hit 60fps on console it'll be because of the CPU, not GPU, and modern PC CPU's are vastly more powerful than the CPU in the consoles.

GrudgefromSanAndreas

I don't think it would run on Windows 10. After all, extended support ends October 2025

>>>thls2.png.cd6e3e4f25a754be873c995ad73f2ab4.png DUptDxsWAAMLXpc.jpg

Spider-Vice

The extended support thing is indeed awkward for games releasing in the next year to year and a half but most games now will still be developed on the Windows 10 SDK (unless R* do any Windows 11 DirectX specific stuff, maybe they will) and they probably will run fine. Maybe with a warning the OS is end-of-life but they'll likely work fine.

image.png

GTANet | Red Dead Network | 🌲

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

the beginning is moments ago, the end is moments away 

Moncastler

GTA V came out in 2015 and it supported Windows Vista SP2, RDR2 in 2019 still had support for Windows 7. Even though those OSes were technically supported by Microsoft when both games came out (Vista EOL was in 2017, 7 was in 2020), most people were already on newer versions of Windows.

This time things are completely different, Windows 10 will still be very popular in 2025 and beyond even though Microsoft cuts support for it... Well, there's technically the annual subscription to get security updates past the EOL date or Windows 10 LTSC 2021 IoT (that will be supported until 2031), but for most people I'm sure support will end in late 2025. I am of the idea that developers will continue to support Windows 10 for quite a while, if there's a huge user base there's a lot of money to be made there. Rockstar supported the RGL on Windows 7 and 8 until recently, they will probably do the same with 10.

Me personally I would never run an OS that doesn't receive any more security updates on a machine that is connected to the internet, but I fully understand why people are trying to stay on Windows 10 for as long as possible. Microsoft are really trying their best to make people switch to MacOS, Linux or ChromeOS, the new Recall feature on ARM devices is awful from all points of view. I wouldn't be surprised if they push back Windows 10 EOL date, it's insane to think that a desktop OS used by 70% of Windows users is going EOL in just a year.

JP_Media
1 hour ago, Moncastler said:

Microsoft are really trying their best to make people switch to MacOS, Linux or ChromeOS, the new Recall feature on ARM devices is awful from all points of view. I wouldn't be surprised if they push back Windows 10 EOL date, it's insane to think that a desktop OS used by 70% of Windows users is going EOL in just a year.

Windows 11's hardware requirements will keep a significant percentage of current Windows 10 users on the OS for the foreseeable future. More than 20 years worth of computer hardware is about to become e-waste as a direct result of arbitrary decisions made by Microsoft and I don't think most reasonable people will give up their perfectly functional computers just for "features" like Recall and CoPilot.

• Like 2

TurboPug
On 5/31/2024 at 9:45 PM, gregorius11 said:

I do believe that the right strategy for our business is to be where the consumer is

The consumer is on PC these days. But C* still lives in the past for some reason.

Back in the days there were reasons to buy PS3/X360/PS4 aka exclusives. These days, XSeries has no games and PS5 has very few first-party TIMED exclusives.

Nobody's gonna double dip. Install base for PS5/XSeX is low. Your initial GTA 6 sales gonna flop.

And if Atlus releases Persona 6 in Autumn 2025 (day 1 on PC obviously), your western junk gonna flop even harder.

On 6/2/2024 at 3:22 PM, JP_Media said:

Windows 11's hardware requirements will keep a significant percentage of current Windows 10 users on the OS for the foreseeable future. More than 20 years worth of computer hardware is about to become e-waste as a direct result of arbitrary decisions made by Microsoft and I don't think most reasonable people will give up their perfectly functional computers just for "features" like Recall and CoPilot.

It is for the TPM requirement and most people arent tech savy enough to go into their BIOS settings and enable that.

I did it and my hardware is now eligible for Win 11, even though I will still use Win 10.

Gettin up

Not sure anymore if my 3080 will be able to run it, but don't feel like upgrading because I'll play it on console anyway.

23 minutes ago, Gettin up said:

Not sure anymore if my 3080 will be able to run it, but don't feel like upgrading because I'll play it on console anyway.

It'll run, but not w/ all the bells and whistles like the newer series cards. What's become the problem now is 8GB Vram at higher resolutions, 1440p and up.

Playboi

We're gonna be looking at more than 100 million combined consoles sold by fall 2025, no way R* touches PC at launch. It's the only game in the world right now that can force people to buy consoles and double dip later and they know it. 

Arkasha_Kaz
Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 11:45 PM, gregorius11 said:

As spotted by VGC on May 31, when recently asked about GTA 6 coming to PC during an interview at a conference this week, we got this fun word salad from Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick:

"Well, the lack of an announcement is not something that could be set in stone as near as I could tell, because the only thing that happens after the lack of an announcement is an announcement, I suppose, or a continuing lack of an announcement. I guess that could happen, too. It doesn’t seem to me that either would be set in stone. But Rockstar has an approach to platforms which we’ve seen before. And they will make more announcements in due time. I do believe that the right strategy for our business is to be where the consumer is, and historically what this company has done is address consumers anywhere they are, on any platform that makes sense, over time. Okay?"

Cheers Strauss.

What an interesting and empty array of words & letters that I didn't understand after reading in English. Then he translated it into my native and Russian language and still didn't understand. 
I get it that he can't answer directly, but damn, what the spaghetti hell was that. Chat GPT 3.0 would generate more meaningful words lmao.

Edited by Arkasha_Kaz

JP_Media
On 6/3/2024 at 2:05 PM, wqx said:

It is for the TPM requirement and most people arent tech savy enough to go into their BIOS settings and enable that.

Even if your motherboard supports TPM 2.0, you also need a Windows 11 compatible CPU to install the OS without workarounds. If someone does choose to run Windows 11 on unsupported hardware there is no guarantee that a future system update won't disable the workarounds.

GTK0HLK

Can only hope, while another Developer has kinda given hope that they have gotten tired of going for quick cash exclusivity deals with Sony.

Can only hope that R* follows suit.

[Sony be messing with Media, Content, and Adjusting for the wrong Audiences as of late.]

Can only Copium. mixed with any hopium.

schneper32
Posted (edited)

I am planning on building a new PC build with whatever the best GPU/CPU there might be later this year (probably RTX 5090), and even then i still have doubts that i would be able to run the game at 4K/60 with max settings. If we assume that the PC port releases 2026, an entire PC generation passes and we are closer to new GPUs like RTX 6000 series (or even new consoles, probably closer to 2027 though). As far as i remember, when RDR2 released on PC, even the best GPU you could buy at that time, couldn't run the game at 4K/60 with max settings.

Edited by schneper32
  • Like 2

Moncastler
21 minutes ago, GTK0HLK said:

Can only hope, while another Developer has kinda given hope that they have gotten tired of going for quick cash exclusivity deals with Sony.

Can only hope that R* follows suit.

[Sony be messing with Media, Content, and Adjusting for the wrong Audiences as of late.]

Can only Copium. mixed with any hopium.

I don't know of what dev you're talking about, but I don't see how this applies to Rockstar. Rockstar hasn't signed any exclusivity deal, their games since RDR1 have been day 1 on PlayStation and Xbox. They do have marketing deals, but that's about it: you may see PlayStation accounts sponsoring Rockstar content, or console bundles, nothing more.

The lack of a day 1 PC version is not driven by exclusivity deals, it's just Rockstar hoping that PC players will double dip. Also, I don't understand why Sony would want to exclude PC players and not Xbox players, they're heavily investing in the PC platform.

6 minutes ago, schneper32 said:

I am planning on building a new PC build with whatever the best GPU/CPU there might be later this year (probably RTX 5090), and even then i still have doubts that i would able to run the game at 4K/60 with max settings. If we assume that the PC port releases 2026, an entire PC generation passes and we are closer to new GPUs like RTX 6000 series (or even new consoles, probably closer to 2027 though). As far as i remember, when RDR2 released on PC, even the best GPU you could buy at that time, couldn't run the game at 4K/60 with max settings.

Back in 2019 I think the 2080 Ti was the most powerful consumer GPU available, it wasn't probably enough for 4K60 at max settings but I'm pretty sure it can stay above 40-45 FPS most of the times. But in 2019 4K60 was still considered very enthusiast stuff, these days it's still enthusiast territory but high end GPUs can achieve it most of the times. Considering that consoles should target 1440p30 with a RX 6700 class GPU, I think a 5090 should be enough to achieve 4K60 at close to max settings. I do expect to see some heavy hitters (like GTA V's grass and RDR2's tree tessellation), so it's probably not advisable to max everything out on day 1 :)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Moncastler said:

I don't know of what dev you're talking about, but I don't see how this applies to Rockstar.

Most likely Square Enix.

Also, assuming you use upscalers which really you should be using especially if you play at 4k, a 4090 will have no issues with GTA VI. It's miles beyond what's in consoles, it's an absolute monster of a card still and will still be performing well in games nearer the end of the decade. It'll be the new generation of consoles that'll start the end of that card lol. That's not even touching on frame gen either.

Also yea the 5090 and 5080 is rumoured for the end of this year. Counting on the 5080 dropping this year my self, cause as long as the price isn't more insane than the 4080 launch price in the UK that's the card I want.

• Like 2

NightmanCometh96
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, schneper32 said:

As far as i remember, when RDR2 released on PC, even the best GPU you could buy at that time, couldn't run the game at 4K/60 with max settings.

One thing to consider with R*’s PC releases is that the more recent ones have typically included some settings meant for future hardware. The Advanced Graphics menus in GTA V and RDR2 are the main things that come to mind; IIRC, a 2008 interview about IV’s PC version also alluded to that same philosophy, but those options didn’t exactly help with the port’s poor optimization (which, IMO, is only just now getting to a decent state thanks to DXVK/Proton, FusionFix and sheer brute force of modern hardware).

That’s a major factor in why RDR2 PC wasn’t able to run at 4K60 maxed out with top-of-the-line specs (for 2019). 4K60 was also not as commonplace as it is now, as @Moncastler brought up, on top of the game just being demanding in general the higher you go above 30FPS.

If you look back at the Digital Foundry coverage, some of the lowest settings were actually higher in quality than their console counterparts; so even if you left those options at the “minimum”, the game still looked on-par with Xbox One X at worst, and in some cases, better. R* clearly designed the game with scalability in mind, as opposed to cranking everything up to the max from the get go (let alone expecting a locked 60FPS at said settings) and calling it a day. Even today, four-and-a-half years after the fact, I still see a lot of people recommending to use the Hardware Unboxed optimized settings as a baseline and working your way up from there.

That said, I think GTA VI will fare a bit better in this regard. Unlike 2019, we’ll have things like DLSS/FSR/XeSS and frame generation to help out with performance (fingers crossed that R* adds the latter to RDR2 at some point, since a recent patch updated the FSR implementation to V2.2 and added HDR10+ support). I’d still expect a few (advanced) settings to be too demanding for consistently high frame rates for 2025/2026 hardware, though.

Edited by NightmanCometh96

Antaxi
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Moncastler said:

Back in 2019 I think the 2080 Ti was the most powerful consumer GPU available, it wasn't probably enough for 4K60 at max settings but I'm pretty sure it can stay above 40-45 FPS most of the times. But in 2019 4K60 was still considered very enthusiast stuff, these days it's still enthusiast territory but high end GPUs can achieve it most of the times. Considering that consoles should target 1440p30 with a RX 6700 class GPU, I think a 5090 should be enough to achieve 4K60 at close to max settings. I do expect to see some heavy hitters (like GTA V's grass and RDR2's tree tessellation), so it's probably not advisable to max everything out on day 1 :)

When GTA VI come to PC (from 2026 to 2027 release window) it'll be probably same situation as it be at GTAV pc, it will be medium demanded to hardware, just speculated - 6 core, 16 gb ram, and 8 gb video memory, 170 gb for SSD storage unit, as bare minimum.

Edited by Antaxi

DUNK512
1 hour ago, schneper32 said:

As far as i remember, when RDR2 released on PC, even the best GPU you could buy at that time, couldn't run the game at 4K/60 with max settings.

that's cause max settings are a scam. 

Montana...

All I know is that I built last year and I won't be building again for another 3 or 4 years. I went 3440x1600 and when I rebuild I'm hoping to utilize a sub 300 watt GPU and sub 120 watt CPU. I will NOT be buying a console as my monitor is limited to HDMI 2.0 and consoles do NOT support 3440x1600 anyways. If my 13700K / 4090 can't push it, I'll gladly wait another 3 or 4 years before buying the game. And really that goes for any game now days. I don't trust them, I don't trust the performance, and I won't pay outrageous prices to play them. I spend money on a good spec PC to outlast some of the more inferior components and most games I play are not new. I'm in no rush to play GTA 6. I'll wait for a hefty sale, bug fixes and better optimization.

ballstorture
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

I’d still expect a few (advanced) settings to be too demanding for consistently high frame rates for 2025/2026 hardware, though.

Yeah absolutely.Even in rdr2 thanks to efforts from modding community,you can unlock geometry lod to go all in to max photomode level,which means the lodscale value can go above 3.0 while for vanilla parameters they only let you stay in 1.0.This combining with everything else max out is making 4090 going nuts in 4k ,usually the fps is between 60-80 (except water physics,I believe we all know how merciless this one tends to be. Especially when going around big valley and dakota river  ),same scene in vanilla the fps is 95 while this here goes to 62 max,the graphics jump is undeniable tho.Sometimes can drop below 50 fps with constantly bad frametimes,and when go to towns there are various cpu utilization problems which usually leads to undesirable performance issues as well.Also I didn't even try to make grass lod extend further as comparing to lodscale this is not very reasonable for performance cost imo

Actually I think they intentionally limited this value  in the pc release only for optimization reasons-you can see the numbers just won't look decent without heavy compromises on top gpus back  in 2019,hence why many big open world games released with last gen roots plagued by distracting noticeable low quality  render distances despite looking decent upclose.Even simply applying the lodscale value to  a middle ground 2.0 in 1440p,my old 3080 could only go to oven mode to show well,in the end,he did tried and gave all he had😬

And while visually have plenty of highlights been holding up till this day,rdr2 is still a game deeply rooted in ps4 era hardwares,and it does cost plenty for uncovering the full image.So expecting a actually max out gta vi ,with a more advanced quality in graphics area on the top end is pretty  wishful thinking,not that different comparing to when rdr2 about to release people were expecting to run 1080p 60fps max quality with a gtx gpus,fooled by so called "recommend specs" .Especially if r* are making the unreal 5 nanite solution alike for their streaming engine with a game world bigger than ever,for the best possible graphics results the hardware costs will totally be something else.

Optimized well for mainstream hardwares is one thing,nobody have problem with it.But going to the max limit is another story ,whether it's reasonable or not really depends on how you look at it,the actual visual difference.Thinking about it,if every 5090 owners can max out and feel all good no future plans need anymore,that's a huge problem for nvidia to how to sell more 6090 ,this is the biggest game everyone are talking about after all

Edited by ballstorture
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ballstorture said:

Thinking about it,if every 5090 owners can max out and feel all good no future plans need anymore,that's a huge problem for nvidia to how to sell more 6090 ,this is the biggest game everyone are talking about after all

Yea.... nVidia don't need GTA to sell gaming GPU's lol. They have the market well and truly cornered to the point they've been able to set the prices at whatever they want and get away with it.

Not to mention, GPU's are a tiny portion of their business now, they're a 3 trillion dollar company, which has been driven almost entirely by the fact that if you want AI hardware you have to go to nVidia.

• Like 2