GTA VI PC Discussion, Requirements...

Vice Cit

Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?  

587 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?

• PC
    • Console

23 minutes ago, Jason said:

What timed hardware exclusivity? It's releasing on PS and Xbox, so there's no paid console exclusivity and in that case it makes no sense to pay R* to not release it on PC.

It's been discussed to death but I mean to put it simply, PC and PS5 individually making up about 40-50% of every multi platform games sales now. Xbox is less than 10% for some games.

It aint 2013 anymore, or even 2018, the hardware landscape has literally completely changed lol.

Releasing on Xbox seems to be less profitable than releasing for PC and PS5 day one instead, landscaped has changed a lot since Xbox 360 days.

• Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 1

4 minutes ago, Yoona said:

Releasing on Xbox seems to be less profitable than releasing for PC and PS5 day one instead, landscaped has changed a lot since Xbox 360 days.

Day 1 PC and PS5 would almost certainly be more profitable than PS5 and Xbox day 1. The only reason you wouldn't nowadays is if you're studio struggles w/ PC development.

And if you want and an example (and an end to timed exclusivity theories) of how just how bad it's gotten - Square Enix's timed console exclusivity deals with Sony are most likely at an end after their last three timed PS5 console exclusives all disappointed sales wise. The money Sony throws at them isn't enough anymore. The platform they'll want to release on day 1 going forward, and are with FF16 at some point, is PC.

PC's growth has been consistent and steady for several years now, but this generation has changed everything because of just how bad Xbox hardware is doing. Again, if you want more proof, Xbox are now releasing games on bloody PlayStation lmao. They can't afford not to do cause Xbox hardware sales are so bad and games are expensive to make.

Antaxi
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jason said:

Day 1 PC and PS5 would almost certainly be more profitable than PS5 and Xbox day 1. The only reason you wouldn't nowadays is if you're studio struggles w/ PC development.

And if you want and an example (and an end to timed exclusivity theories) of how just how bad it's gotten - Square Enix's timed console exclusivity deals with Sony are most likely at an end after their last three timed PS5 console exclusives all disappointed sales wise. The money Sony throws at them isn't enough anymore. The platform they'll want to release on day 1 going forward, and are with FF16 at some point, is PC.

PC's growth has been consistent and steady for several years now, but this generation has changed everything because of just how bad Xbox hardware is doing. Again, if you want more proof, Xbox are now releasing games on bloody PlayStation lmao. They can't afford not to do cause Xbox hardware sales are so bad and games are expensive to make.

PC struggles is irrelevant for my opinion, i think it's a business decision, just because R* didn't announce PC version yet, it's like little boost trick to increase sales for consoles.

i don't blame R* for sure i can understand.

Edited by Antaxi

3 minutes ago, Antaxi said:

PC struggles is irrelevant for my opinion, i think it's a business decision, just because R* didn't announce PC version yet, it's like little boost trick to increase sales for consoles.

I'm sure they'll get some money from the inevitable PS5 x GTA V bundle, but it's not like T2/R* are making money from selling PS5's and Xbox's in the grand scheme of things. Xbox hardware is dead, a sh*t ton of Xbox players either went to PS5 or PC. As a result, PC is now at the very least the 2nd biggest gaming platform (Nintendo aside obv), in some cases it tops of the PS5. This is why every studio and publisher is now abandoning console exclusivity or timed exclusive deals in favour of releasing on PC day 1. Only really Rockstar remain.

The question then is do R* know something everyone else doesn't and know a way to actually make more money by delaying the PC version, or is every other publisher and studio on the planet right?

Some people seem to have the opinion of the former, but aren't able to reason why beyond "it's R* and GTA lol", where as I'm just looking at what literally every other corporation is doing and going "yea, that's probably the best way to make money". 

• Like 2

Totallycasual
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Jason said:

The question then is do R* know something everyone else doesn't and know a way to actually make more money by delaying the PC version, or is every other publisher and studio on the planet right?

I'd have to imagine that they have some internal numbers telling them to do what they're doing because it's the most profitable path, it would make zero sense for them to stall on the PC release for some random silly reason, especially when they have a responsibility to the shareholders.  I mean, legally wouldn't they have to answer to someone if they took a less profitable path without good reason? 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Totallycasual

5 minutes ago, Totallycasual said:

I'd have to imagine that they have some internal numbers telling them to do what they're doing because it's the most profitable path, it would make zero sense for them to stall on the PC release for some random silly reason, especially when they have a responsibility to the shareholders.  I mean, legally wouldn't they have to answer to someone if they took a less profitable path without good reason? 🤷‍♀️

I mean you'd think, but it also relies on the assumption that no studio has delayed a PC version for any other reason than to make more money. The amount of studios that struggled to do a day 1 PC release for no other reason than not being equipped to do a day 1 PC release is endless, and it's not like it's a new thing for R* that only started happening once double dipping became a thing, R* have had staggered PC releases for a very long time now.

I mean look at Sony and their exclusives. They sell well on PS5, come to PC 1-2 years later and the PC versions, while mostly doing well, don't do anything insane. Helldivers 2 releases day 1 on PC and PS5 and it's their fastest selling game ever.

Word of mouth, launch hype and FOMO are by far away the most powerful marketing tools in any media, and it's been proven time and time again that when you have a product everyone wants to play and all the hype, buzz and good word of mouth, that having that product accessible in all the right places make you sh*t tons of money.

I mean maybe I'm all wrong on this and maybe R* to have some internal numbers that show that actually no this will make them more money, but until I see proof I honestly just don't see it, not when everyone else is now doing something different. I said it earlier but it isn't 2013 or 2018 anymore, the hardware landscape has completely changed.

• Like 2

Totallycasual

At the end of the day, i really only trust corporations to do one thing, and that's take most profitable path.  Even when that path is illegal,  a lot of them will still have a crack if they think that the gains massively outweigh any possible repercussions lol 

Common sense says that there has to be a reason, we may never be privy to it, but if the PC version is delayed, it's because that's exactly how they wanted things to play out. 

PolandMountain
Posted (edited)

Judging the game will have to run on below 2070 hardware you gonna be able to play six on any 30 Series (3050 excluded, that thing is a joke) GPU in 1440p, Low, 30 FPS. Who knows maybe even 2070 will be able to play that game on Low 1080p.

Edited by PolandMountain

Antaxi
2 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm sure they'll get some money from the inevitable PS5 x GTA V bundle, but it's not like T2/R* are making money from selling PS5's and Xbox's in the grand scheme of things. Xbox hardware is dead, a sh*t ton of Xbox players either went to PS5 or PC. As a result, PC is now at the very least the 2nd biggest gaming platform (Nintendo aside obv), in some cases it tops of the PS5. This is why every studio and publisher is now abandoning console exclusivity or timed exclusive deals in favour of releasing on PC day 1. Only really Rockstar remain.

Some people seem to have the opinion of the former, but aren't able to reason why beyond "it's R* and GTA lol", where as I'm just looking at what literally every other corporation is doing and going "yea, that's probably the best way to make money". 

Agree PC is the best gaming platform at the moment. R* will put GTA VI on PC eventually, sure it take certain time, but waiting is worth.

kabbee

I would actually want a serious journalist to ask Rockstar why they dont release on PC day 1, and not be satisfied with a answer like "The current release platforms are" from them. I want them to ask why they release it for PC a year later. 

Miss Darko
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Totallycasual said:

At the end of the day, i really only trust corporations to do one thing, and that's take most profitable path.  Even when that path is illegal,  a lot of them will still have a crack if they think that the gains massively outweigh any possible repercussions lol 

Common sense says that there has to be a reason, we may never be privy to it, but if the PC version is delayed, it's because that's exactly how they wanted things to play out. 

Corporations are always after profit of course, but it's probably worth remembering that they aren't made of up of perfectly rational actors. There's a lot of internal baggage that a corporation can accumulate, like work culture and the weird sorts of rituals and superstitions that higher ups can develop because of how much guesswork is really involved in figuring out where the market is actually headed. How do you tell whether a trend is short-term or long-term? Do a bunch of coke and then consult the oracles. That's basically what market research is. It's no wonder how so many business decisions seem so out of touch. Consider how many game companies have historically gone all-in on nightmare level crunch, despite the evidence showing that it is actually counter-productive when it comes to overall, well, productivity. Unfortunately this is an counter-intuitive conclusion when it comes to the philosophical underpinnings of most of the kind of people in those upper level positions, so they're unwilling to listen to that kind of evidence and effectively sabotage themselves.

Currently, in this market, the evidence seems to bear out that simultaneous PC releases are more profitable. But perhaps something about Rockstar's work culture and upper management philosophies make the evidence seem unconvincing compared to what they assume to be true, based on past experience. R* is kind of known for thinking of themselves as being in a league of their own, which isn't entirely unwarranted, but that hubris is probably making them a bit ignorant to the lessons other developers are learning. Why would those apply to them, when they're in a league of their own? R*'s track record with optimization on PC versions isn't great, but generally the PC versions are treated as fairly special, with a number of unique features, most notably the Rockstar Editor. Historically this has been part of the success of their PC releases. Even though modern trends would probably favor a simultaneous release even if there are fewer PC-specific features, R* is more likely to draw from their own experience than from the successes of other developers, at least until that approach bites them in the ass. Though on one hand they are sort of right, R* and especially GTA as a franchise really is sort of in a league of its own. In this case what Jason said about FOMO might actually work in favor of R*'s traditional methods, because GTA is the sort of juggernaut where even if PC is the preferred platform for many players, if they also have consoles they are pretty likely to get it for the console first and then PC later. Not that many franchises have enough pull for the double-dip model to be viable enough, but GTA is probably one of them. So, I would say the long wait between console and PC release for R* games results from an intersection of a fairly cynical model that happens to work for R* even as other developers have moved on to a different strategy, and a more old-school approach to developing PC versions as a separate release that stems from R*'s company culture, which seems to eschew taking lessons from the wider game industry. That's pretty apparent from how R* have conducted themselves as a company in many ways, not just this one. Not even necessarily in the ways that are bad, per se, just different.

Edited by Miss Darko

Let's hope that the "Enhanced Rockstar Editor," which was planned for RDR2 and developed for almost two years but was never released, becomes a launch feature for VI's PC release and hits consoles simultaneously.

neonwinch83
16 minutes ago, Tez2 said:

Let's hope that the "Enhanced Rockstar Editor," which was planned for RDR2 and developed for almost two years but was never released, becomes a launch feature for VI's PC release and hits consoles simultaneously.

The what now? That existed?

RecklessGlue540
Posted (edited)

Wouldn't be surprised. Just why develop a damn thing for two years and leave it on the devs' storage devices never to be put to good use...

Classic Rockstar move tbh

Edited by RecklessGlue540
  • Like 2
  • Best Bru 1

Moncastler

I actually wonder if they're still open about re-thinking their PC strategy with GTA VI.

As we all know development started a long time ago and, as usual, they were planning for an initial console release. Could Xbox sales figures change something in their minds? Or the fact that the PC market is going so well to the point where even Sony is rumored to be considering day 1 PC releases?

As Miss Darko said, to me it seems like they went in with their classic approach because they know they're probably the only studio that can afford to double dip, it has always worked wonders for them. But does it now? I feel like the industry changed a lot in the last couple of years, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Rockstar is actually asking themselves if this strategy is still the best one for maximizing revenue.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Moncastler said:

I actually wonder if they're still open about re-thinking their PC strategy with GTA VI.

As we all know development started a long time ago and, as usual, they were planning for an initial console release. Could Xbox sales figures change something in their minds? Or the fact that the PC market is going so well to the point where even Sony is rumored to be considering day 1 PC releases?

As Miss Darko said, to me it seems like they went in with their classic approach because they know they're probably the only studio that can afford to double dip, it has always worked wonders for them. But does it now? I feel like the industry changed a lot in the last couple of years, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Rockstar is actually asking themselves if this strategy is still the best one for maximizing revenue.

They could potentially surprise us in early 2025 by announcing PC version is launching alongside consoles in Fall of 2025... it's unlikely but let's hope so.

Just imagine pre-order numbers and day one sales and player peak on Steam + consoles.

Edited by Yoona
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Moncastler said:

and I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Rockstar is actually asking themselves if this strategy is still the best one for maximizing revenue.

I'm reminded of the report from RDR2 where it was said someone wanted to improve RDR2's controls during development and it was knocked back from a higher up.

RDR2's controls ended up being the most criticised part of the game and likely played a not insignificant role in the game not getting the top GOTY awards.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I'm reminded of the report from RDR2 where it was said someone wanted to improve RDR2's controls during development and it was knocked back from a higher up.

RDR2's controls ended up being the most criticised part of the game and likely played a not insignificant role in the game not getting the top GOTY awards.

God I hope GTA VI controls are more responsive :shillkek:

Posted (edited)

The controls weren't particularly good, no. IIRC I had to change my whole scheme around for sprinting, not to mention input lag and aiming at default being god awful.

Edited by lndex

Zapper
13 minutes ago, Jason said:

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that was a completely unsubstantiated rumour. Like how a few years back, some people used to say R* lost RDR1's source code.

Just now, Zapper said:

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that was a completely unsubstantiated rumour. Like how a few years back, some people used to say R* lost RDR1's source code.

I could be remembering incorrectly but I remember it coming from an article from a reputable journalist.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jason said:

1 hour ago, Yoona said:

God I hope GTA VI controls are more responsive :shillkek:

Button mashing in V in third person drives me nuts, first person has it or maybe its some mod I installed.

Btw, I always wanted to say sorry for anything bad I said to anyone here. I love you as a good bro man.

As for 6 since Direct Storage api is here, we are likely going to see it in use GTA 6 pc right?

Edit: I am better now. Still pain in heart because of cholesterol increase in my body.

Edited by JASON6971

Zapper
13 minutes ago, Jason said:

I could be remembering incorrectly but I remember it coming from an article from a reputable journalist.

I honestly don't even remember seeing the original report anywhere. I've seen it only in comments here and there, but nobody ever cited the actual source, unlike the aspect ratio thing that Jason Schreier reported about.

5 minutes ago, Zapper said:

I honestly don't even remember seeing the original report anywhere. I've seen it only in comments here and there, but nobody ever cited the actual source, unlike the aspect ratio thing that Jason Schreier reported about.

I remember reading it somewhere, had a google to try and dig it up but had no luck. But I do remember reading it in an article, I just can't remember where.

Zapper
1 minute ago, Jason said:

I remember reading it somewhere, had a google to try and dig it up but had no luck. But I do remember reading it in an article, I just can't remember where.

34e7b5c1-90db-4bb9-9496-28059800b373_text.gif

RecklessGlue540
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zapper said:

Whoa, hey, me neither lol. I myself seen some dudes some time ago saying R* lost RDR1's source too, but the source of this info? Didn't get to see it, so I'll call out cap on that.

And besides, how would the recent ports be possible without R* handing over RDR1's source to D11? Would these guys have been tasked to reverse the game instead? :starekek: Anyone even do that before?

Edited by RecklessGlue540

VitoCorleone1992
14 hours ago, Jason said:

Question from a noob on the matter: why xbox hardware is dead?

About why R* delays the PC version, idk...if was a case of what happened with GTA V with releasing it to PS3 to PS4, i could see the cocky strategy there, but i don't think that a lot of console players port to PC as soon GTA is available for PC. You either are a "Consolist" or a "PCist" :kekw: There aren't too many people that play on consoles and PC. Not to mention that now with us knowing that GTA VI will come on the Fall of 2025 means that probably we will get GTA VI PC version at best on Fall 2026...but R* might release it in early 2027.

ballstorture
4 hours ago, VitoCorleone1992 said:

why xbox hardware is dead?
i

Severely lacking of qualified exclusive titles to impress public in a long period and most importantly,to this day.Combining with bad marketshares of xbox one eras,flop is the endless road.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, VitoCorleone1992 said:

Question from a noob on the matter: why xbox hardware is dead?

It simply isn't selling anywhere near Microsoft needs or wants. There's various reasons that have all contributed to this - the Xbox One launch and all the various effects that, the lack of quality 1st party games, poor marketing and probably also the move to a service driven approach which made PC a more attractive platform for Xbox players.

In 2013 Xbox and PS were basically equal, with PC after thought still for many devs. In 2018 PS4 was king but Xbox One was still a big platform, with PC growing and on the rise to become an important platform. In 2024 PS5 and PC are pretty much equal kings, with Xbox in some cases making up 10% or less of sales/players between the three platforms.

• Like 4

BakeWithMe1000
On 5/20/2024 at 6:32 PM, Tez2 said:

What different was the 'enhanced rockstar editor'?