Jump to content

GTA VI PC Discussion, Requirements...


Vice Cit

Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?  

587 members have voted

  1. 1. Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?

    • PC
      430
    • Console
      157


Recommended Posts

Ser_Salty
17 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

I mean, that happens because you're supposed to be able to change languages on-the-fly easily, GTA will be doing the same most likely so point stands. :p

Rockstar never dubs any of their games in other languages, so it actually won't even be able to do that. Never really thought about the fact that people from English speaking countries probably don't know about GTA games not being dubbed lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I Think, revealed PC System Requirements for upcoming Horizon Forbidden West, is relevant or close to GTA VI.

Edited by Antaxi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Antaxi said:

I Think, today PC System Requirements for upcoming Horizon Forbidden West, is relevant or close to GTA VI.

 

Nope.

 

Horizon FW is a cross-gen title that also released on PS4. This is why a 3070 is being recommended for 1440p/60fps high, which is not what a 3070 can do in current gen only games unless you use an upscaler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

 

Nope.

 

Horizon FW is a cross-gen title that also released on PS4. This is why a 3070 is being recommended for 1440p/60fps high, which is not what a 3070 can do in current gen only games unless you use an upscaler.

Probably, then maybe 4070(TI-SUPER) be enough, for 1440p GTA VI and 4080-4090 for experience in 4K

8 cores 16 threads, or better 1440p, 16gb RAM

and 16-24 cores in 4k, 16-32gb RAM

150-190 gb, M2 space.

Edited by Antaxi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For native 1440p/60fps, probably a 4070 card or something in that ball park yea. HFW also has no raytracing while GTA VI looks like it might either have mandatory RT or at least highly encouraged RT, which will bump up the mins a bit.

 

We have a lot of big open world RPG's out this year that are current gen only, some with RT stuff, so over the next several we'll probably get a decent idea on where PC requirements are gonna be for 2025 games.

 

DLSS/FSR and frame gen will be mega on nVidia 3000 cards for VI I'm guessing, same with AMD equivalents - those cards will be at least 5 years old by the time VI PC launches, lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah. hard to predicting, rumored RTX 5090, on the way in 2025 with brand new tech standards.

Perhaps, GTA VI PC will appear when/between 2026 - 2027, 3000 card series gone super old, this is long way.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Moncastler
2 hours ago, Antaxi said:

Probably, then maybe 4070(TI-SUPER) be enough, for 1440p GTA VI and 4080-4090 for experience in 4K

8 cores 16 threads, or better 1440p, 16gb RAM

and 16-24 cores in 4k, 16-32gb RAM

150-190 gb, M2 space.

A better CPU shouldn't be needed for higher resolutions. IMO Horizon Forbidden West "Very High" preset could mean that there are some sort of RT effects that put more strain on the CPU.

I also don't expect 16+ (performance) cores recommended because we're entering productivity territory, for gaming 6 and 8 remain the target for all developers... And it's more than enough, current gen consoles have a Zen2 8C/16T CPU, in the desktop space any modern 6 core CPU is at least double the performance.

 

Given that the DF video seems to prove that the RX 6700 is mostly in line with a PS5 in terms of performance, we can more or less predict what GPU will be needed for 1440p60. From the trailer it looks like Rockstar is targeting 2160p30 with FSR2 Quality, meaning that they're effectively aiming at 1440p30. There's also to consider that FSR2 has a performance impact, 2160p with FSR2 Quality produces less frames than native 1440p.

Taking the 6700 as a baseline, I think that for native 1440p60 you need 160%-170% of its relative performance... Which, according to TechPowerUP, lands you in 4070 / 3080 (12 GB?) / 6800 XT / 7800 XT territory. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ser_Salty
1 minute ago, Moncastler said:

A better CPU shouldn't be needed for higher resolutions. IMO Horizon Forbidden West "Very High" preset could mean that there are some sort of RT effects that put more strain on the CPU.

Could also be some NPC density/rendering distance thing on Very High that puts more strain on the CPU.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kris194 said:

Not a problem with GTX 16 series finally being discontinued.

 

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-discontinues-geforce-gtx-16-gpus-the-end-of-gtx-series

 

It's not so much older cards being the problem, it's that RT is still expensive to run. A 3070 at 1440p in a game w/ raytracing is hit or miss if it can achieve anything close to a stable 60 with DLSS right now, so imagine cards lower down the pecking order.

 

There's a lot of cards out there still that people use that simply aren't good modern day RT cards and that could become problematic in a way cause we're starting to see RT features become mandatory as studios go with RT as their approach to technical solutions - particularly RTGI. I say in a way cause the PC playerbase perpeturally upgrades their systems and 4-5 years per GPU upgrade is pretty standard, and a lot of nVidia owners (which are vast majority of active PC gamers per Steam HW survey) bought the 3000 generation and skipped the 4000. The 5000 generation will likely be the one that "solves" the problem I speak of in that sense, it'll be the one a lot of people upgrade to.

 

But the older cards like the higher end 2000 series and 3000 series will probably still truck on a bit through upscaling and frame gen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots, will depend on optimization and polishing, which what Rockstar is doing now on consoles, and do for PC at the later date.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FyveFourOh
On 12/5/2023 at 10:21 AM, SharksFlyUp said:

If anything, the fact that we know they've been developing a PC version for quite a while makes their complete silence on this even weirder. I feel terrible about all of the leaks, but I do think Rockstar's habit of communicating absolutely nothing for as long as possible sometimes does them a disservice in this regard. 


Not sure if anyone has addressed this, but was just browsing some old comments in the thread around the date of the trailers release and wanted to explain something. The "PC version" is the development version, that all developers use. The computer specs are always going to be there whether they are developing for console or PC. They work on the game, on PC, while in RAGE. All the code that is written, can then be compiled for different platforms. We They will have different cases that will be met in the compilation of the code base. So you can easily program and test functionality on your PC and when you're ready, you can test it on the dev kit. Most work is done and tested on the PC side, then tested on the targeted platform, at least this is the case from my knowledge. The leaks do not prove nor disprove whether or not the day one release will include PC. Hope this helps a little.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AgentJizzle

I hope my geforce 256 can run this game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SharksFlyUp

-

Edited by SharksFlyUp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ser_Salty
12 hours ago, FyveFourOh said:


Not sure if anyone has addressed this, but was just browsing some old comments in the thread around the date of the trailers release and wanted to explain something. The "PC version" is the development version, that all developers use. The computer specs are always going to be there whether they are developing for console or PC. They work on the game, on PC, while in RAGE. All the code that is written, can then be compiled for different platforms. We They will have different cases that will be met in the compilation of the code base. So you can easily program and test functionality on your PC and when you're ready, you can test it on the dev kit. Most work is done and tested on the PC side, then tested on the targeted platform, at least this is the case from my knowledge. The leaks do not prove nor disprove whether or not the day one release will include PC. Hope this helps a little.

The specs in the clip are the engines rendering info. There is one clip running on a PS devkit and it's displaying different specs. You wouldn't really bother running QA on a PC version if you don't plan on releasing a PC version, because all of your rendering sh*t might work on DX12, but not on whatever API the PS5 uses. It would be kinda worthless as a testing tool. Only reason why you'd bother with the amount of different PC builds we've seen (and we can see in the metadata of the clips they're different builds) is because you're making a PC version. And then of course there's the PC UI with the VRAM messages, specifically the VRAM messages meant for the end user, not the dev UI VRAM counter. You wouldn't include that in a console build.

 

Also no sh*t it doesn't confirm a day one release. If there was a PC day one release, it probably would've been listed in the newswire alongside PS5 and Xbox. It just confirms they were very actively working on a PC version as far back as 2021, and had gotten it quite far by 2022.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Technically PC version is already exist, but unoptimized and unlocalised, we see that builds in hardware configuration from GTX 1080 to RTX 3080 graphic cards, so its pretty much exist, PC footage is evidence of PC game (as platform) existance, R* can't fool us, not this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NightmanCometh96

Have they ever really “fooled” us, though (aside from getting extra money from double-dippers, if you want to get technical about it)? The staggered releases have been a thing since GTA III. We also knew of the existence of V’s PC version as far back as the original 7th Gen release, 9 months before it was formally revealed, thanks to it being mentioned frequently throughout the leaked buildlogs (incidentally, Orbis, the PS4’s code name was also referenced several times).
 

Since Rockstar has a history of doing this (regardless of whether it’s financially or technically-motivated), it shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone that VI will come to PC; I just don’t get why R*/T2 themselves always act as if it’s some earth-shattering, Area 51-tier secret. I’m a broken record at this point, but would it really have hurt them to, for once, announce from the get-go: “we’re working on a PC version, but it will be coming at a later date. Please stay tuned for further details.”? It’s like they’re afraid it will drastically cannibalize console sales. Surely they know deep down that this would never be the case. GTA, for better or worse, is too big to fail; even the Trilogy DE did relatively well (at least financially) in spite of the bucketload of issues that still plague it today.

Edited by NightmanCometh96
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, NightmanCometh96 said:

I’m a broken record at this point, but would it really have hurt them to, for once, announce from the get-go: “we’re working on a PC version, but it will be coming at a later date. Please stay tuned for further details.”? It’s like they’re afraid it will drastically cannibalize console sales. Surely they know deep down that this would never be the case. GTA, for better or worse, is too big to fail; even the Trilogy DE did relatively well (at least financially) in spite of the bucketload of issues that still plague it today.

 

It's not that complicated. Rockstar simply has nothing to gain from saying the bold part out loud at this stage. Whether they lose anything or not doesn't make any difference.

 

If they acknowledge the PC version back in December, stay silent for 2+ years, and release it in 2026, people will still complain, just for different reasons. And I guess way more people will complain in that scenario because they'll have something to latch onto.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FyveFourOh
6 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

The specs in the clip are the engines rendering info. There is one clip running on a PS devkit and it's displaying different specs. You wouldn't really bother running QA on a PC version if you don't plan on releasing a PC version, because all of your rendering sh*t might work on DX12, but not on whatever API the PS5 uses. It would be kinda worthless as a testing tool. Only reason why you'd bother with the amount of different PC builds we've seen (and we can see in the metadata of the clips they're different builds) is because you're making a PC version. And then of course there's the PC UI with the VRAM messages, specifically the VRAM messages meant for the end user, not the dev UI VRAM counter. You wouldn't include that in a console build.

 

Also no sh*t it doesn't confirm a day one release. If there was a PC day one release, it probably would've been listed in the newswire alongside PS5 and Xbox. It just confirms they were very actively working on a PC version as far back as 2021, and had gotten it quite far by 2022.

Just pointing out, not everyone is testing their work directly on the devkits. Its going to be a lot easier to test your changes on the platform you are using to develop on. Again, the clips are of course from a targeted build of the PC version to test. Does not mean this is their main focus whatsoever. The engine is also not only used for current projects, but was used and created for past projects, what do you think they used to develop RDR2 and GTAV on the PC? The tools are there with the info because they have been long created for PC. There are different builds and just because the build they are working and testing with is not the console build, does not mean they are prioritizing this. Its just quicker and easier as a developer. Also, this was not meant to be directed at you, I was talking to someone else who otherwise thought it meant the PC version is the main one they were focused on.  Of course its going to be released for PC, it's just not their priority. Also the amount of different builds you see are just different developers personal rigs. Its of course going to help the PC version to be working on it, which they clearly are in the clips, the only point was that it means nothing and is just a developer doing work and testing before going the length of starting up the devkits. Also to note, this only works with gameplay functionality and you will of course need to use the devkit(console build) to appropriately address the specific needs of such hardware. Hope you don't take this as a fight and more so just a discussion. Enjoy your day!

Edited by FyveFourOh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FyveFourOh
5 hours ago, Antaxi said:

Technically PC version is already exist, but unoptimized and unlocalised, we see that builds in hardware configuration from GTX 1080 to RTX 3080 graphic cards, so its pretty much exist, PC footage is evidence of PC game (as platform) existance, R* can't fool us, not this time.

Indeed, it's common for studios like Rockstar Games to develop PC versions of their games alongside console versions. However, optimizing a game for PC involves addressing a wide range of hardware configurations, from older GPUs like the GTX 1080 to newer ones like the RTX 4080. This can be a hefty task for developers, as they must ensure smooth performance and compatibility across various setups. While a PC version may already exist in some form, optimizing it for such a diverse hardware landscape requires additional time and resources. Studios may choose to prioritize the console versions initially, focusing on a more standardized hardware platform, before dedicating resources to optimizing the PC version for a broader audience.

Of course, you'd like it to be happening at the same time for a company as enormous as Rockstar Games, though they seem to like to spread the work load out to put less strain on their developers and to guarantee a near perfect product by the initial release date. I can't say I love that they do this to the PC audience, but I can understand why!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

VitoCorleone1992
On 10/20/2022 at 1:24 AM, Vice Cit said:

With GPU prices dropping recently and actually being affordable, I'm curious if people are going to upgrade their PCs to play VI or go for a console instead. 

 

What do you think the requirements for VI will be to play it at 1080 60FPS?

 

Do you plan on upgrading your PC to fit the minimums for VI?

 

 


Replying to the first comment from the guy who created the thread, lmao, since it's a pertinent question. I will say that, i hope that at least i will be able to play GTA VI with the PC i currently have with GTA V level of graphics and performance, i would be just fine with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

does R* use DRMs? if yes, do they have their own or do they use a third-party DRM like denuvo?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miss Darko
39 minutes ago, wqx said:

does R* use DRMs? if yes, do they have their own or do they use a third-party DRM like denuvo?

R* uses a third party launcher that requires you to occasionally log in with a Rockstar account. In my experience it's pretty much a toss-up whether it'll let you log into offline mode if it can't reach their servers for one reason or another. But I guess at least it's not Denuvo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

minimum specs aren't really worth talking about. they will be at similar specs to an Xbox Series S.

 

i think for recommended it'll be 8 core CPU (AMD 5000 series or Intel 13th gen), 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 with 12GB VRAM (and whatever the AMD equivalent is). that'll be to play at 1080p 60fps without raytracing.

 

to push the game to the absolute limit at 4K 60fps with raytracing it'll probably be a 12-16 core CPU, 32GB RAM maybe even 64GB (64GB is overkill but 32GB might be too little and we don't really do anything in between 32-64 like 48), and a 5090 ... possibly a 6000 series GPU.

 

keep in mind the game is not coming to consoles until 2025/2026 so that means PC is 2026 or 2027. Nvidia 5000 series might be out next year so will be "old" by the time the game comes to PC. you'd think a 5090 would be enough but have you seen the size of the map and graphics the game has in the trailer??

 

when GTA V came to PC i had a PC that met the recommended specs and it struggled. i had to upgrade my PC to play at 1440p 60fps and even then it wasn't perfect. raytracing is no joke and GTA VI will likely have it so i'm expecting it to be hard to max out for a while after it launches.

 

 

Edited by Gdog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
kabbee

Do we still think that the game will launch later on pc now when its confirmed for fall 2025?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kabbee said:

Do we still think that the game will launch later on pc now when its confirmed for fall 2025?

Yeah... Spring 2026 is my guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

NightmanCometh96
Posted (edited)

R* has given me no reason to believe that the gap between their console and PC releases will be as short as half a year going forward. Those days sadly seem past us; aside from the DE’s day one PC launch, we haven’t had a short wait since MP3 (and even then, that was initially intended to launch alongside consoles before being pushed back by several weeks, IIRC). EDIT: I’m pretty confident that Remedy’s Max Payne remakes will launch day and date across all platforms, but sure as hell not R*’s in-house titles (unless it’s a rerelease, which still isn’t a guarantee, as we’ve unfortunately seen with RDR1).


Unless VI’s console release is delayed past its Fall 2025 target date (hopefully it’s ready on time, but I’m sure T2 would be more than willing to give R* extra time to knock it out of the park if they absolutely needed it), some point between Fall 2026 and Spring 2027 would be my admittedly pessimistic prediction for the PC launch.

Spoiler

Early 2028 for Steam, going by the unnecessarily long period that the DE was exclusive to the RGL. We’ll have to see how R* handles things with RDR1, though.

 

Edited by NightmanCometh96
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Year after launch, like RDR2, is still my guess. Whenever that is.

 

They have no next-gen port to deal with like GTA V and no other mainline project near the end of development.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Antaxi

T2 will milking every penny over timed ''hardware exclusivity'', so two year gap between console and the pc release is predictable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What timed hardware exclusivity? It's releasing on PS and Xbox, so there's no paid console exclusivity and in that case it makes no sense to pay R* to not release it on PC.

 

It's been discussed to death but I mean to put it simply, PC and PS5 individually making up about 40-50% of every multi platform games sales now. Xbox is less than 10% for some games.

 

It aint 2013 anymore, or even 2018, the hardware landscape has literally completely changed lol.

  • Like 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.