GTA VI PC Discussion, Requirements...

Vice Cit

Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?  

587 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?

• PC
    • Console

Geeteeaifive

I'm guessing 1080p high (not max or raytracing if any) settings 60fps will need at least a 3070+ level of gpu. That's with upscaling like dlss/fsr. Whatever the specs of ps5 or ps5 pro are but add another 25-50% of raw performance because console graphics take lots of shortcuts or get optimized to hell and back. CPU, minimum of 6 cores i'd guess. Probably 200gb of space. But up to 400 is not impossible if the map really is larger than all previous gta's combined. Think rdr2 but far more densely packed urban environment texture and model\doodad data. So 3x more storage is a soft guess. Ssd speed i'd guess would need to be as fast or faster than ps5. Rockstar might actually add fancy stuff for seamless\instant loading times. Repeat of gta v load times would be honestly embarrassing. If things load longer than 0-3 seconds, i'll be surprised.

• Like 2

Moncastler
1 hour ago, Geeteeaifive said:

I'm guessing 1080p high (not max or raytracing if any) settings 60fps will need at least a 3070+ level of gpu. That's with upscaling like dlss/fsr. Whatever the specs of ps5 or ps5 pro are but add another 25-50% of raw performance because console graphics take lots of shortcuts or get optimized to hell and back.

I was recently watching the new DF video where they compared a RX 6700 10GB against a PS5 with comparable graphics settings on a selection of recent games, they made that comparison because the 6700 (non XT) is extremely close to the PS5 GPU. While it's not a proper apples to apples comparison (some specs like memory bandwidth, memory bus, etc. are different), I was expecting PS5 to be slightly better than the desktop GPU due to optimizations and lighter OS... Turns out that the 6700 actually beats the PS5 quite consistently, with TLOU Part 1 being the only exception that comes to mind (but it's a bad port).

I also saw their video about the PC version of Alan Wake 2, IIRC a 3070 was around 20-25% faster than PS5 at comparable settings. Considering that GTA VI seems to aim at 2160p30 with AI reconstruction from native 1440p, native 1080p60 seems doable on a 3070... Higher resolutions will probably be too much for 8GB cards though.

CPU, minimum of 6 cores i'd guess.

Number of cores isn't everything, the 4-core i3-13100 is probably better than the Zen2 CPU found on consoles. Of course you won't have a pleasant experience with a quad core i3, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up in the minimum specs. But yeah, a modern 6+ core CPU is definitely need for 60+FPS gaming.

Ssd speed i'd guess would need to be as fast or faster than ps5.

No, Xbox Series S | X have slower SSDs and recent PC games show that you don't need an extra fast Gen5 NVME. I'm sure that a cheap Gen3 NVME drive with at least 1500MB/s read speeds will do the job just fine, for now even SATA SSDs seem enough! Until a few years ago we had games designed around HDDs that were at beast reading at ~150MB/s + seek time, IMO it's gonna take a while before games start to saturate a Gen3 NVME :)

• Like 3

Gettin up
On 2/26/2024 at 7:25 PM, JASON6971 said:

It will come on pc, you will see, I will get it. Rockstar loves money not users, shark cards say that otherwise.

Sure it will. But takes maybe longer than GTA V to arrive on PC.

Ser_Salty
15 hours ago, Geeteeaifive said:

Probably 200gb of space. But up to 400 is not impossible if the map really is larger than all previous gta's combined. Think rdr2 but far more densely packed urban environment texture and model\doodad data. So 3x more storage is a soft guess. Ssd speed i'd guess would need to be as fast or faster than ps5. Rockstar might actually add fancy stuff for seamless\instant loading times. Repeat of gta v load times would be honestly embarrassing. If things load longer than 0-3 seconds, i'll be surprised.

The game is not going to be 400GB. 200GB is the upper limit I would expect it to be. The ballooning file sizes of other games is primarily fueled by incompetence (and possibly malovelence in the cases of like CoD being over 200 gigs). Uncharted 4 on PC, for example, takes up so much space because it always downloads all localization data. So you just have gigabytes upon gigabytes of audio files that go unused because whoever ported the game to PC didn't bother using the language depot on Steam. Then there's other games with tons of uncompressed audio and textures. Rockstar fit the entirety of Red Dead 2 into 120GB on PC. GTA VI is not going to be way about 200GB.

• Like 3

There's no game yet that has released that requires an NVMe SSD, the only real thing that developers are doing with NVMe speeds atm is using them to make loads near instant, and that's something you can scale down to a SATA SSD as we've seen with PC ports of Spider-Man and Forspoken, which support DirectStorage on PC, which is Windows tech that essentially allows gamers to use NVMe's better.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if we see a game flat out require an NVMe SSD in the coming years, maybe VI will be the first, I doubt it, but it'll happen eventually. But it won't require PS5 speeds, as the Xbox drive is half as fast.

I wouldn't read into Xbox being slower as the Xbox holding back VI either, before anyone does. 2500mb/s read speed is still bonkers fast and far beyond what any game actually needs for anything that isn't making load times go zoom. We're probably a good while away from developers building games that are structurally designed around modern NVMe speeds.

• Like 3

The-Ghost
21 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

I do wonder how they'll handle SP "DLC" this time around. Will the singleplayer be fully part of the live service experience this time? Although that would mean monetization in singleplayer, so I think I'd rather stick with the trainers lmao.

I dread to think about their plans for monetization for this game, it's just all looking gloomy.

• Like 1
  • Realistic Steak! 2

3 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

The game is not going to be 400GB. 200GB is the upper limit I would expect it to be. The ballooning file sizes of other games is primarily fueled by incompetence (and possibly malovelence in the cases of like CoD being over 200 gigs). Uncharted 4 on PC, for example, takes up so much space because it always downloads all localization data. So you just have gigabytes upon gigabytes of audio files that go unused because whoever ported the game to PC didn't bother using the language depot on Steam. Then there's other games with tons of uncompressed audio and textures. Rockstar fit the entirety of Red Dead 2 into 120GB on PC. GTA VI is not going to be way about 200GB.

My predictions its 140 or 160Gb on consoles, and 150Gb on PC

Spider-Vice
5 minutes ago, Antaxi said:

My predictions its 140 or 160Gb on consoles, and 150Gb on PC

It won't be smaller on PC. To note, RDR2 on PC is already 120 GB.

image.png

GTANet | Red Dead Network | 🌲

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

the beginning is moments ago, the end is moments away 

4 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

Yes might be same 160 for PC, game will be big as Call of Duty, anyway and it will be demanding to video memory.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

There's no game yet that has released that requires an NVMe SSD, the only real thing that developers are doing with NVMe speeds atm is using them to make loads near instant, and that's something you can scale down to a SATA SSD as we've seen with PC ports of Spider-Man and Forspoken, which support DirectStorage on PC, which is Windows tech that essentially allows gamers to use NVMe's better.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised if we see a game flat out require an NVMe SSD in the coming years, maybe VI will be the first, I doubt it, but it'll happen eventually. But it won't require PS5 speeds, as the Xbox drive is half as fast.

I wouldn't read into Xbox being slower as the Xbox holding back VI either, before anyone does. 2500mb/s read speed is still bonkers fast and far beyond what any game actually needs for anything that isn't making load times go zoom. We're probably a good while away from developers building games that are structurally designed around modern NVMe speeds.

Is there like a DirectStorage equivalent in wine?

16 hours ago, Spider-Vice said:

Pc version might end 170 GB then.

Edited by JASON6971
Thanks Antaxi.

36 minutes ago, JASON6971 said:

Pc version could end up maybe at 250 or 300 Gigs at launch?

300! there is no reason to allocating tons of free space, 160 and 170 at max

120 gigs RDR2 + 50 extra space = GTAVI 

Edited by Antaxi

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl PC system specs say 150GB of space is required. At this point, I'll need to upgrade to a bigger m2. Games are mahoosive now lol.

Spider-Vice
5 hours ago, JASON6971 said:

No and I wouldn't expect the game to have any sort of Linux support :kekw: I mean, maybe via Proton.

image.png

1 hour ago, Spider-Vice said:

No and I wouldn't expect the game to have any sort of Linux support :kekw: I mean, maybe via Proton.

I know that, learned in 2014 when I gave feedback to Rockstar Games to bring GTA V on Ubuntu when Steam Machines were announced back in September 2013.

Personano
On 2/28/2024 at 2:15 PM, Ser_Salty said:

The game is not going to be 400GB. 200GB is the upper limit I would expect it to be. The ballooning file sizes of other games is primarily fueled by incompetence (and possibly malovelence in the cases of like CoD being over 200 gigs).

I can see VI reaching the mid-late 200's as years of GTA:O DLC begin to balloon the file size. 400 is still way way overdoing it though.

If Rockstar again don't wanna add any Online content to single-player, then I do think it's best to completely separate the two. Why have a slowly ballooning installation if SP players aren't even getting anything out of it?

LeakyLine
4 hours ago, Personano said:

I can see VI reaching the mid-late 200's as years of GTA:O DLC begin to balloon the file size. 400 is still way way overdoing it though.

If Rockstar again don't wanna add any Online content to single-player, then I do think it's best to completely separate the two. Why have a slowly ballooning installation if SP players aren't even getting anything out of it?

Because SP players don't matter and that isn't extra work they're going to do.

signature? i hardly knew her

ErosPista
18 hours ago, LeakyLine said:

Because SP players don't matter and that isn't extra work they're going to do.

-

Edited by ErosPista

Kris194
17 hours ago, LeakyLine said:

Because SP players don't matter

And for that very reason R* went ahead and made RDRII which is most advanced SP game and 7th best selling game ever and likely to become 5th while Witcher 3, another SP game is 9th best selling game ever :sadkek:

LeakyLine
4 hours ago, ErosPista said:

It’s okay buddy, there are therapists that you can seek out. :kekw:

I was referring to the fact that Rockstar clearly doesn't give a f*ck about singleplayer, considering they abandon their singleplayer experiences after day one. 

wasn't saying singleplayer doesn't matter, I was implying Rockstar doesn't think it matters.

Do you need some f*cking help? Who just says something like that, anyway?

Edited by LeakyLine
  • excuseme 1
  • KEKW 2

ErosPista
5 minutes ago, LeakyLine said:

I was referring to the fact that Rockstar clearly doesn't give a f*ck about singleplayer, considering they abandon their singleplayer experiences after day one. 

wasn't saying singleplayer doesn't matter, I was implying Rockstar doesn't think it matters.

Do you need some f*cking help? Who just says something like that, anyway?

Sorry man, i misread your post. You didn’t give that much context, though. 
There’s too many GTA online shills these days, high on their sense of superiority, and just because they enjoy the mediocrity (i’m being kind :sadkek:) of GTAO, they got to force Online integration upon others.

Still, my bad. 

LeakyLine
Just now, ErosPista said:

Sorry man, i misread your post. You didn’t give that much context, though. 
There’s too many GTA online shills these days, high on their sense of superiority, and just because they enjoy the mediocrity (i’m being kind :sadkek:) of GTAO, they got to force Online integration upon others.

Still, my bad. 

Honestly I should have contextualized it a bit better. I'm sick and in a crappy mood, mb. 

Personano
1 hour ago, Kris194 said:

And for that very reason R* went ahead and made RDRII which is most advanced SP game and 7th best selling game ever and likely to become 5th while Witcher 3, another SP game is 9th best selling game ever :sadkek:

While we're on this, it relieved me to no end that the first trailer for GTA VI was all about the single-player. Through all of the GTA:O and RD:O monetisation stuff Rockstar have pulled over these past years, it was amazing seeing them still put forward a single-player experience. I think that detail is a lot more important than people realise. It shows that their prioritises are still on SP games, and that they haven't went FULL 'only Online matters' quite yet.

6 minutes ago, Personano said:

While we're on this, it relieved me to no end that the first trailer for GTA VI was all about the single-player. Through all of the GTA:O and RD:O monetisation stuff Rockstar have pulled over these past years, it was amazing seeing them still put forward a single-player experience. I think that detail is a lot more important than people realise. It shows that their prioritises are still on SP games, and that they haven't went FULL 'only Online matters' quite yet.

It's not surprising at all. Why on earth would R* skip them when they bring in literal billions of dollars at launch? Their story mode titles separate them from the rest of the industry. Online is the endurance of their games; it gives them a lot more longevity than they otherwise would. Plus, what they do in story mode acts as the technical base for future online support.

Story expansions are a completely different matter because they'll never be as successful as a brand-new game or GTAO but would take a lot of effort and over $100M to make nowadays at the level people expect from them. 

• Like 3

Single player be great again, if R* implemented Co-op in story mode, sad but single player games is past, taking short support as well. Co-op is good alternative to Online.

How is this discussion related to the PC version? 

15 hours ago, kabbee said:

How is this discussion related to the PC version? 

You're right, let's go back to discussing the PC version. Honestly, I couldn't care less that GTA 6 probably won't be released for PC in 2025, and we'll have to wait until 2026 for the PC version. It only bothers me because of the inevitable spoilers. In the meantime, there will be a thousand other games to entertain ourselves with, and I definitely won't buy the same game over and over again like some people just because they can't wait.

Spider-Vice

Horizon Forbidden West on PC has just been revealed to require 150 GB space, that's 50 GB over the PS4/PS5 versions, and 80 GB over the predecessor on PC. I'm convinced at this point GTA VI might break the 200 GB barrier at least on PC, which honestly wouldn't be that shocking for a massive 2025 open-world game.

• Like 1

image.png

It's hard to compare 1:1 cause different levels compression etc etc but in terms of games with tons of assets and tons of dialogue/audio/music, which VI will have, similar games right now are around 120gb (RDR2, Starfield) and 140gb (BG3).

So GTA VI PC is surely gonna be in the 200gb range yea.

• Like 2

Ser_Salty
19 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

Horizon Forbidden West on PC has just been revealed to require 150 GB space, that's 50 GB over the PS4/PS5 versions, and 80 GB over the predecessor on PC. I'm convinced at this point GTA VI might break the 200 GB barrier at least on PC, which honestly wouldn't be that shocking for a massive 2025 open-world game.

Could just be they're doing the same dumb thing as the Uncharted 4 PC release and making you download all localization files. So that extra 50 gigs could just be 90% unnecessary audio files.

• Realistic Steak! 2

Spider-Vice

I mean, that happens because you're supposed to be able to change languages on-the-fly easily, GTA will be doing the same most likely so point stands. :p 

39 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's hard to compare 1:1 cause different levels compression etc etc but in terms of games with tons of assets and tons of dialogue/audio/music, which VI will have, similar games right now are around 120gb (RDR2, Starfield) and 140gb (BG3).

So GTA VI PC is surely gonna be in the 200gb range yea.

Of course, yeah, I don't mean a 1:1 comparison, but it's still representative of how big things are getting in regards to assets. Plus, the more complex the game, the less devs can rely on heavy compression because it's very heavy on CPU's.

image.png