GTA VI PC Discussion, Requirements...

Vice Cit

Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?  

587 members have voted

1. 1. Are you planning on playing GTAVI on PC or Console?

• PC
    • Console

1 hour ago, Intstringeger said:

Alan Wake 2 was funded and published by Epic, it seems unlikely it will ever be on Steam. I don't know what the situation with the Max Payne remakes is, I hope Epic has nothing to do with those and there are no exclusivity.

The Max Payne 1 + 2 remake is being fully funded and published by Rockstar. Remedy will get royalties if/after the game recoups all the costs. Remedy is independent they just sign publishing deals for their games. You can almost guarantee it getting a day one PC release because Remedy develops their games with it as their lead platform and it's running on their engine, not RAGE.

More details about the agreement

Given the game's (relatively) long development cycle I wonder if GTA VI will find its way to PC sooner rather than later (GTA IV style where it only took 6 months, which is way more tolerable than the 1.5 year delay for V)

Edited by nyquilp
  • Like 2

Moncastler
7 minutes ago, nyquilp said:

Given the game's (relatively) long development cycle I wonder if GTA VI will find its way to PC sooner rather than later (GTA IV style where it only took 6 months, which is way more tolerable than the 1.5 year delay for V)

I would be very surprised if we'll have to wait as long as we did for GTA V, that was a weird case because they were also developing 2 other versions alongside (PS4 and Xbox One). Realistically I expect something like RDR2, so around 9-12 months after the launch on console.

13 minutes ago, Antaxi said:

Rage on PC need small update to turn RT is on

Who knows maybe R* plans update engine in this year

Hao garage hinted n' placed in Salvage yard missions

No, it wouldn't be a small update, DX11 doesn't have any RT capabilities and so the engine needs to be updated to DX12 and/or Vulkan. And of course you can't just slap those graphics APIs, RT has to be programmed in and it takes a long time to have a good implementation. Thankfully the Gen9 version has a newer engine that is tailored for these graphics APIs and features, but they would have to port the entire codebase to PC just to "turn RT on"... Considering that it's been almost 2 years since the release of GTA V on Gen9, it's not realistic to expect an update of that magnitude on PC.

99.9999999999% GTA VI will be the first game from Rockstar to have RT on PC.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, _MK_ said:

Some of you talking about how you can't wait for it to come to PC thus going to get a console while I'm actually negotiating with myself if I even should get it on RGL to begin with and just wait all the way for it to come to Steam, as that's where I like my games and that's what I like to use.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see VI being a 6-12 month RGL exclusive before coming to other storefronts, unless they (read EGS) pay R* to get it simultaneously. I don't think not being available on Steam would matter in any tangible way for VI, and that way, R* will get the entirety of the revenue share anyway.

Edited by Zapper

EGS' split is like what, 6%, 8%?

Epic don't really pay out of their nose for exclusivity anymore, I think their exclusives these days are titles they fund/publish. That being said it wouldn't be that surprise if they did something like dropping the store cut for R*, just so they can have VI on there day 1.

That being said, Steam's market share is just so dominant right now and while VI is VI, day 1 Steam would absolutely result in more sales for it cause that's just how popular Steam is and how not popular other store fronts are - there's a reason so many publishers came back one by one. Though I do think Valve probably came to some sort of agreement with them, it wouldn't shock me if those publishers go straight to the 80/20 cut - which you usually have to hit revenue targets before you get - or have an even better deal than that.

17 minutes ago, Jason said:

That being said, Steam's market share is just so dominant right now and while VI is VI, day 1 Steam would absolutely result in more sales for it cause that's just how popular Steam is and how not popular other store fronts are - there's a reason so many publishers came back one by one. Though I do think Valve probably came to some sort of agreement with them, it wouldn't shock me if those publishers go straight to the 80/20 cut - which you usually have to hit revenue targets before you get - or have an even better deal than that.

That is true, but eventually, VI will come to Steam anyway, and they'll get those sales, mostly at full/near-full price. Of course, technical reasons play a part, but the fact that they didn't bother to release it on PC day one even in 2025 tells me that they want to stagger the release window to ensure long-term sales at full/near-full price.

And the 80/20 deal is a good shoutout. Activision had that deal with Sony instead of the usual 70/30, so it wouldn't surprise me if R*/T2 had one too. You can throw in Valve there as well.

IIRC Take-Two were one of the other publishers with a 80/20 split on console. On PC it's a complete unknown, but Valve's 30% cut is why a lot of them moved away to start their own platforms, and after all those platforms and EGS came and bombed despite the 0% (their own platforms) or 8% cut (EGS), one by one all these publishers came back to Steam. So it would make sense that Valve started doing deals to help bring them back, beyond just having the customer base.

As for PC being staggered to maintain full sale prices, eh, idk tbh. I genuinely just think they stagger PC because their leadership mentality when it comes to PC is archaic at this point, they've not adapted to the modern mentality to develop for console and PC at the same time, for a day 1 multi platform release, and unlike other studios the staggered PC release doesn't hurt them in the end cause their games are just unmissable in the end.

How deep the price cuts get on sale, especially on stores, is entirely up to them. They could, if they wanted, not send keys to third party key sites if they really wanted full control - Baldur's Gate 3 for example, despite being a Steam game, is not for sale on any key seller sites which is usually the case for Steam releases. This was likely so Larian can maintain the full £50 fee for the duration of it's early access stint. On console it's a bit different cus physical release but they still have some control and R* titles generally maintain their price for a long term, it takes years for R* titles to reach 50% off generally.

• Like 3

gregorius11

I wonder how long we will have to wait between the official PC announcement and the release date. For RDR2 it was merely a month, but RDR series is obviously not as popular as GTA, so maybe it will be longer this time to build up the hype.

NightmanCometh96
1 hour ago, gregorius11 said:

I wonder how long we will have to wait between the official PC announcement and the release date. For RDR2 it was merely a month, but RDR series is obviously not as popular as GTA, so maybe it will be longer this time to build up the hype.

The DE (the original console/PC release and later on, the mobile versions) and PS4/Switch ports of RDR1 also took ~ one month to release after their announcements, so I'd expect a similar timeframe once VI's PC version is finally revealed. V was very much an outlier due to being announced alongside the 8th Gen versions. Even with their staggered release strategy, whatever the reasons behind it are, I doubt R* and T2 want a repeat of that situation (i.e. delaying an already-announced PC release two or three times. As a frequenter of GTAF around that time, the atmosphere was always dreadful whenever it happened). I'm sure that also played a part in why RDR2 PC was revealed as "late" as it was.

Edited by NightmanCometh96

On 1/12/2024 at 10:40 PM, nyquilp said:

The Max Payne 1 + 2 remake is being fully funded and published by Rockstar. Remedy will get royalties if/after the game recoups all the costs. Remedy is independent they just sign publishing deals for their games. You can almost guarantee it getting a day one PC release because Remedy develops their games with it as their lead platform and it's running on their engine, not RAGE.

More details about the agreement

Back in the day did we know before hand that GTA IV would come out on PC 6 months later when the game released? Or was it more like that the game released without being mentioned for PC and then they announced when the PC version would come?

25 minutes ago, kabbee said:

Back in the day did we know before hand that GTA IV would come out on PC 6 months later when the game released? Or was it more like that the game released without being mentioned for PC and then they announced when the PC version would come?

Nothing. Initially, IV was only announced for consoles. It was only confirmed to be coming to PC a few months after the console release.

If I'm not mistaken, none of their games after GTAIII were confirmed for PC before the initial console release. The only exception was Max Payne 3, which was announced for every platform simultaneously, and the PC version came out just a couple of weeks after the console release, probably because of the series roots, and ironically, it wasn't a sales success, just like Max Payne 2.

I'll put my 2 cents here.

So basically since R* accuired cfxre it seems like they wanna make money off of user generated content, but console doesn't seem capable of doing it or doing it as good as PC with Sony being as f*cky with mods as they are.

So maybe early 2025 console release and late 2025 PC release to hop on the SixM and start making money off it while still retaining the double dip?

Hopefully this wasn't confusing.

Moncastler

I really don't know what they want to do with the Cfx.re team for GTA VI, I honestly thought their acquiring would have been another guarantee of a PC day one release.

But I hope they don't make SixM 100% PC exclusive, they have a great chance of integrating RP servers in the main game and make at least some of them cross-platform. While I do expect PC to have the full-fledged SixM experience, some servers (that don't require particular keybinds, or that don't use the in-game text chat a lot) could be flagged as console-friendly. And if Microsoft and/or Sony place some restrictions, Rockstar could manually approve servers for consoles.

Cross-play and cross-progression are things that I want to see, at least for GTA Online. There's no excuse now that they're starting fresh, they already have Rockstar accounts that track connected platforms and stats, smaller studios have been doing this for years at this point.

• Like 2

I think Trailer two come along with specific release day, or an apology due to delay, announcement PC version year after console release, GTAVI will become phenomenal game and 2025 system seller, with consoles exlusive benefits.

13 hours ago, Antaxi said:

apology due to delay, announcement PC version year after console release

Nearly got me there, nearly got me there LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets revive this thread guys, cmon.

I wanna stir some sh*t, maybe we can cause enough noise to get R* to shorten the gap between release, cause they'd see the demand.

• Like 2

The game is being developed on PC already, but the final versions and releases are for consoles hardware.

• Like 2

Gettin up
15 hours ago, Antaxi said:

The game is being developed on PC already, but the final versions and releases are for consoles hardware.

That is one of the reasons I bought a new PS5 and a new OLED TV.

I want to play it so hard when it will be released.
Too bad, I will probably have to upgrade my standard PS5 for a PS5 pro, to run the game better, I guess.

• Like 2

Maybe its hopium but i think we will learn more about release platforms when the next trailer avrives. The first one didnt mention platforms it was just the press release that tbh casual players dont read anyway. 

28 minutes ago, kabbee said:

Maybe its hopium but i think we will learn more about release platforms when the next trailer avrives. The first one didnt mention platforms it was just the press release that tbh casual players dont read anyway. 

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/8978kok9385a82/grand-theft-auto-vi-watch-trailer-1-now

We got release platforms in the official Newswire post lol.

33 minutes ago, kabbee said:

Not what i meant. I meant that the trailer didnt mention any platform like Rockstar usually does. 

Not really. Neither GTAIV/V nor RDR1/2's reveal trailers mentioned any platform either.

4 hours ago, kabbee said:

Not what i meant. I meant that the trailer didnt mention any platform like Rockstar usually does. 

Alright you were right, that's hopium. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2024 at 9:38 AM, Gettin up said:

That is one of the reasons I bought a new PS5 and a new OLED TV.

I want to play it so hard when it will be released.
Too bad, I will probably have to upgrade my standard PS5 for a PS5 pro, to run the game better, I guess.

It will come on pc, you will see, I will get it. Rockstar loves money not users, shark cards say that otherwise.

Ghost sonic

I bought a PS5 to play GTA 6 once the game is released some time in 2025.

I would like to play it on PC some day but its going to be a long wait.

Just hope with the PC version of GTA 6 rockstar does not add any broken DRM like denuvo and puts it as an exclusive to certain platforms like epic games store or the rockstar launcher.

Rockstar games and drm free games hhmm...

On the other hand we might need trainers to spawn cars from GTA O2 in it again right since the single player will get no dlcs.

23 hours ago, Ghost sonic said:

I bought a PS5 to play GTA 6 once the game is released some time in 2025.

I would like to play it on PC some day but its going to be a long wait.

Just hope with the PC version of GTA 6 rockstar does not add any broken DRM like denuvo and puts it as an exclusive to certain platforms like epic games store or the rockstar launcher.

Well if we arent getting a pc release close to the console release i will probably buy a PS5 to, but for now im going to waIt. 

Ser_Salty
22 hours ago, JASON6971 said:

Rockstar games and drm free games hhmm...

On the other hand we might need trainers to spawn cars from GTA O2 in it again right since the single player will get no dlcs.

I do wonder how they'll handle SP "DLC" this time around. Will the singleplayer be fully part of the live service experience this time? Although that would mean monetization in singleplayer, so I think I'd rather stick with the trainers lmao.

Ghost sonic

good thing I have a PS5 to play some GTA 6 once it releases but will buy on PC once its available.

4 hours ago, Ser_Salty said:

I do wonder how they'll handle SP "DLC" this time around. Will the singleplayer be fully part of the live service experience this time? Although that would mean monetization in singleplayer, so I think I'd rather stick with the trainers lmao.

Screw microtransactions in SP, Long Live mods for the singa playa.