3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Edward RDRIII

Edward RDRIII
5 hours ago, universetwisters said:

WOW I’m surprised how far along this came from years ago, although I do understand @Creed Bratton’s skepticism; after games like Raw and Cyberpunk, it’s easy to make a bad game look good than just make a good game.

Either way, we shall see in a few days whether or not this is a truly good game or just fancy shovelware. Even though I don’t care much about the setting, I really hope it’s the former

By the way I just saw its studio saying they will make a story for it eventually when the game is in a better shape, so there ya go peeps.

universetwisters
17 minutes ago, Edward RDRIII said:

By the way I just saw its studio saying they will make a story for it eventually when the game is in a better shape, so there ya go peeps.

Oh no the first release isn’t the final release (or rather we’re the beta testers)

Edward RDRIII
Just now, universetwisters said:

Oh no the first release isn’t the final release (or rather we’re the beta testers)

This first release next week will be the alpha version.

universetwisters
4 minutes ago, Edward RDRIII said:

This first release next week will be the alpha version.

True but still, it’s just this idea of releasing a game that’s just scraps now and building to it over time as opposed to releasing the whole thing at once which upsets me

Edward RDRIII
20 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

True but still, it’s just this idea of releasing a game that’s just scraps now and building to it over time as opposed to releasing the whole thing at once which upsets me

They don't have 1% of the resources Rockstar Games have bro, they gotta get as much support as they can for their game and releasing a early version of it on Steam is one way of doing it.

universetwisters
11 minutes ago, Edward RDRIII said:

They don't have 1% of the resources Rockstar Games have bro, they gotta get as much support as they can for their game and releasing a early version of it on Steam is one way of doing it.

I’m not saying that they have to be comparable to rockstar to put out a finished product tho

Edward RDRIII
2 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

I’m not saying that they have to be comparable to rockstar to put out a finished product tho

I'm just saying that they need to release earlier versions to get more money to continue its development, plus due to the game being available on Steam now it will attract more fame and people interested to invest on it worldwide, this is the closest grounded crime game we have to GTA ever since GTA 5 released, it will attract a lot of attention, especially from those who are tired of GTA 5 and still waiting for GTA 6, which will probably release near to or only on 2025. I know it's sad that this version still don't have a story, but it will have one eventually, just hang in there, plus I think it will still be a cool version to f*ck around doing wars with the gangs and the police.

universetwisters
19 minutes ago, Edward RDRIII said:

I'm just saying that they need to release earlier versions to get more money to continue its development, 

Have the devs tried kickstarter or indiegogo for their cash sourcing needs?

Idk call me a skeptic but with a game like this having an early release, it’ll go one of two ways; it’ll go like My Summer Car and become a cult hit and each update will be much better than the last (even though MSC had some kind of implied story from the start), or it would go like some games that have early access releases where people play it for an hour and are like “okay this is the same open world stuff I can do in gta 5” and never touch it again. It just doesn’t make sense from a marketing perspective to sell something that functions like V with mods.

I hope I’m wrong though, I genuinely do. Maybe I’m just burnt out after the disappointments of the new Saints Row, Cyberpunk, Impunes (which is pretty much the same as this but on Unity) getting “cancelled”, I’m just worn out. I’d love to see a GTA killer but so far, nobody delivered on their promises and it just makes me want to go to a bar and down shots until I lose my vision. Playing the same game over and over again and trying to convince yourself it’s good is one thing, but paying for a game  that’s just the same as before but in another country isn’t that much different.

• Like 2

Edward RDRIII
45 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

Idk call me a skeptic but with a game like this having an early release, it’ll go one of two ways; it’ll go like My Summer Car and become a cult hit and each update will be much better than the last (even though MSC had some kind of implied story from the start), or it would go like some games that have early access releases where people play it for an hour and are like “okay this is the same open world stuff I can do in gta 5” and never touch it again. It just doesn’t make sense from a marketing perspective to sell something that functions like V with mods.

It makes sense because it will show for the first time ever that Brazil have competent developers to create a open world game such as GTA, even if it ends up looking like a GTA 5 mod it's still a important and necessary step to be able to make something bigger and more original on the future with a bigger support and more money. Rememer the John Marston Restoration Project Mod that's so popular among the RDR2 PC community? That's a brazilian mod, we are competent just like americans or any other people around the world, we just need opportunities, and 171 is the perfect opportunity to put Brazil in the gaming radar worldwide for the first time ever, you see its importance now?

Edward RDRIII
52 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

I hope I’m wrong though, I genuinely do. Maybe I’m just burnt out after the disappointments of the new Saints Row, Cyberpunk, Impunes (which is pretty much the same as this but on Unity) getting “cancelled”, I’m just worn out. I’d love to see a GTA killer but so far, nobody delivered on their promises and it just makes me want to go to a bar and down shots until I lose my vision. Playing the same game over and over again and trying to convince yourself it’s good is one thing, but paying for a game  that’s just the same as before but in another country isn’t that much different.

The best thing you can do is wait for the alpha version this week and see for yourself if it's what you wanted it to be, just don't expect it to be a GTA killer like you said, we know it won't replace its position as the most succesful game, not even Red Dead, but it definitely looks better than all these garbage games we're seeing recently such as the new Saints Row and Watch Dogs.

5 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Yeah i was thinking that too. This needs to have some other selling point besides 'gta like game in brazil'. Most people would play once and never touch it again.

Edited by The Artist
  • Like 2

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

universetwisters
1 hour ago, Edward RDRIII said:

It makes sense because it will show for the first time ever that Brazil have competent developers to create a open world game such as GTA, even if it ends up looking like a GTA 5 mod it's still a important and necessary step to be able to make something bigger and more original on the future with a bigger support and more money. Rememer the John Marston Restoration Project Mod that's so popular among the RDR2 PC community? That's a brazilian mod, we are competent just like americans or any other people around the world, we just need opportunities

Okay but my issue isn’t whether or not Brazil is competent; I’ve got no doubt in my mind that Brazil has programmers, artists, etc who are more than willing to make a good product. My issue is having to pay for what is essentially a demo and the idea that the money from that will be used to continue funding the development. 

I get that the developers need money to pay artists, programmers, etc. but wouldn’t you agree that it’s a bit redundant that their only source of capital to finish the game is from people buying the game? Not only they’re forgetting that kickstarter and unreal engine grants exist (or even humor the idea you can find a publisher to invest in the rest of the game) but also they seem to have forgotten that steam and epic games both take a fee, so they’re probably only getting half of each sale.

It could wind up being be the best thing since sliced bread and fuel injection but what kills it is bad planning and investment on the business end.

1 hour ago, Edward RDRIII said:

but it definitely looks better than all these garbage games we're seeing recently such as the new Saints Row and Watch Dogs.

This is true, but don’t forget you can polish a turd to look nice and presentable. Which circles back to my post earlier where I mention that it’s easier to make a bad game look good than it is to make a good game.

1 hour ago, The Artist said:

Yeah i was thinking that too. This needs to have some other selling point besides 'gta like game in brazil'. Most people would plait once and never touch it again.

NGL I wouldn’t mind a straight up gta clone if it takes place in a foreign country and you can use it as an outlet to experience that country’s culture through gaming. But playing it once and never touching it again, why not just include it as a free demo on a kickstarter page or something? The ability to play a limited version of it for free to see whether or not you like it is much more appealing than spending money on it to gamble whether or not it’s gonna be good

3 hours ago, universetwisters said:

NGL I wouldn’t mind a straight up gta clone if it takes place in a foreign country and you can use it as an outlet to experience that country’s culture through gaming. But playing it once and never touching it again, why not just include it as a free demo on a kickstarter page or something? The ability to play a limited version of it for free to see whether or not you like it is much more appealing than spending money on it to gamble whether or not it’s gonna be good

Agreed. They haven't said anything about the story yet. If the story is good and the Brazilian atmosphere is done well, it can become popular. Then they could get more funds for the next one and improve things further.

Something like Sleeping Dogs would be great, it was a good gta clone with the Hong Kong atmosphere.

Edited by The Artist
  • Like 2

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

Edward RDRIII

@universetwisters @The Artist I get where you're coming from, my best advice is to wait until it's out on Steam and watch reviews of it on YouTube before wasting your money into something you may not like, The Professional will play it as Beta Games Group will give him a copy of it, so maybe you people can see him playing and hear his opinion before making a call.

4 hours ago, universetwisters said:

Okay but my issue isn’t whether or not Brazil is competent; I’ve got no doubt in my mind that Brazil has programmers, artists, etc who are more than willing to make a good product. My issue is having to pay for what is essentially a demo and the idea that the money from that will be used to continue funding the development. 

There are countless great games that have used this model over the past 10 or so years. It's common and not unusual.

The trick is, if you don't want to purchase a game in active development, don't purchase it.

• Like 1
  • YEE 1

universetwisters
4 hours ago, Jason said:

There are countless great games that have used this model over the past 10 or so years. It's common and not unusual.

wtf this is news to me. Which other games did this? I’m not asking to call your bluff but this is genuinely news to me

Maybe I’m too old and I’m relying too much on those demo discs that game with video game magazines as a reference but idk, I’m still a bit blegh about the idea of having to pay for a demo. I know, “if you don’t wanna pay for a demo, don’t buy it”, but it still seems a bit disingenuous to have us pay to see whether or not we like it. You’re right, we can read and watch reviews from other people about it and gauge whether or not it’d be good for us, but having someone say “this unfinished game is great y’all should buy it” doesn’t seem like good marketing imo

Not only that but I’m still trying to see how it works as a business model. The developers are gonna see only half of each sale because of steam & unreal engine fees and they’re banking on the idea that this is gonna fund the rest of the game’s development. Unless they start a kickstarter/indiegogo (which might be hard to finish since they already released the game), apply for an unreal engine developer grant, or seek outside investment, I fear that the initial release would be the only one.

Of course, I hope I’m wrong and make an ass of myself if the game rockets up the charts, but so far it looks like they’re trying to build a house on sand.

6 hours ago, The Artist said:

Something like Sleeping Dogs would be great, it was a good gta clone with the Hong Kong atmosphere.

Sleeping Dogs at least had the gimmick that you were a cop and everything was kung fu. I think the closest thing to a gta clone there is, where it’s just the same gameplay as gta with no new gimmicks or anything, would be Gangstar. Funnily enough, like a decade ago they released a game set in Rio!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, universetwisters said:

Sleeping Dogs at least had the gimmick that you were a cop and everything was kung fu. I think the closest thing to a gta clone there is, where it’s just the same gameplay as gta with no new gimmicks or anything, would be Gangstar. Funnily enough, like a decade ago they released a game set in Rio!

Agreed it needs some unique gimmick. Sleeping Dogs had the fight mechanics, Watch Dogs had hacking, Saints Row had crazy powers and Mafia series has the old mafia theme.... what does this have?

Gangstar Vegas was pretty good for a mobile game tbh.

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

universetwisters
3 minutes ago, The Artist said:

Saints Row had crazy powers

tbh I think Saints Row’s gimmick is/was always character customization. I can’t think of another open world game that had that depth of it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

wtf this is news to me. Which other games did this? I’m not asking to call your bluff but this is genuinely news to me

At this point, thousands if not tens of thousands. Early access has been a staple of Steam for a long, long time now and consoles also support it (Xbox Game Preview for example). For specific examples of games that have used it well would be stuff like Divinity Original Sin 2 and little known games such as Minecraft and Fortnite (😉). But yea, loads of games use that model now, it's been a massively useful release method for indies and has led to a ton of success stories on PC in particular, which is where the model is most commonly used.

Don't get me wrong there's risks with it, there's been games that have been essentially abandonded mid-early access, but again, it's a case of if you want a full game wait for it to be finished.

• Like 2

universetwisters

I thought Minecraft was free early access or am I misremembering?

Edward RDRIII
11 minutes ago, Jason said:

At this point, thousands if not tens of thousands. Early access has been a staple of Steam for a long, long time now and consoles also support it (Xbox Game Preview for example). For specific examples of games that have used it well would be stuff like Divinity Original Sin 2 and little known games such as Minecraft and Fortnite (😉). But yea, loads of games use that model now, it's been a massively useful release method for indies and has led to a ton of success stories on PC in particular, which is where the model is most commonly used.

Don't get me wrong there's risks with it, there's been games that have been essentially abandonded mid-early access, but again, it's a case of if you want a full game wait for it to be finished.

Exactly, it's not a flawless method without risks, but it's either that or the game will never be finished, by the way I don't even know why we're all discussing this to begin with, this discussion won't change how the company will sell the game's alpha version and neither they're forcing anyone to buy it to begin with, so many companies have been doing this throughout the years like you said, even the first Project Cars relied on selling early versions to see the light of day back in the day, so trying to prevent Company E from doing it while Companies A, B, C and D have already done it is unfair.

27 minutes ago, universetwisters said:

I thought Minecraft was free early access or am I misremembering?

I think there was possibly a very early prototype version that was free but the main version has as far as I know always early access - I have the receipt from buying it in like 2010 lol.

universetwisters
4 hours ago, Jason said:

I think there was possibly a very early prototype version that was free but the main version has as far as I know always early access - I have the receipt from buying it in like 2010 lol.

I remember someone uploaded Minecraft to all the computers in my school's library back in 2011 and the staff got pissed

Need For Madness Auto

The 171 Game Is Now Available To Purchase On Steam Game Launcher With 10% OFF Till November 24th

Steam reviews are starting to come in, sitting at 75% positive so far.

Not a lot of English reviews but some quick looks w/ Google translate and the consensus so far seems to be that people are appreciative of the ambition but there's a lot of work to do be done in terms of opimisation and content, both of which are pretty typical criticisms of a game in day 1 of early access.

No alarm bells so far it seems anyway, just a case of be aware it's a game in early access if you purchase it.

• Realistic Steak! 1

Graphics look nice. Map looks decent size. Animations and vehicle details aren't that good and need to be improved further.

Edited by The Artist

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

universetwisters

I hate the default shirt. Construction barrel looking mf

image.png

The reaction to this has been quite nice to see tbh. No one is oblivious to the fact it's obviously going to be a bit jank, a bit lacking, etc, given the ambition of the project and the small team behind it, but it's nice to see the game pick up a bit of attention and the overall impression (based on what I've seen) being supportive of the devs and what they're doing.

Loads of people want more open world urban crime games and if 171 is the proof of concept that there's actually room for small devs to work with within the genre then I'm all for it.

• Like 3

The game is kind of like the Brazilian equivalent to GTA San Andreas and the original Saints Row, with the former in terms of how you take over gang territories and the latter with a separate wanted system for the police and gangs.

I can't wait to see how the game will turn out once it exits early access.