Jump to content
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. Los Santos Drug Wars
      2. Updates
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Blood Money
      2. Frontier Pursuits
      3. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      4. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. Bugs*
      2. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Classic GTA SA
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Classic GTA VC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Classic GTA III
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

    2. Forum Support

    3. Suggestions

171


Edward RDRIII
 Share

Recommended Posts

Edward RDRIII

First of all, I know you people from all around the world are used to play high quality games such as GTA, Red Dead, you name your favorite ones, but the brazilian gaming industry never was impressive as in other countries, but this might change with 171, this is a game developed by Beta Games Group, it's a independent studio with only a few developers and a budget nowhere near companies such as Rockstar Games by a country mile. It's being developed for about a decade now I think and even with all the challenges mentioned previously they still managed to make a game from the ground up (no, it's not a GTA mod) which is starting to look pretty solid already, especially in nowadays gaming industry which not many companies risks making open world games such as GTA and the ones who does fails miserably at that, let's also consider that the game still is on its alpha stage and definitely will improve a lot over the next years until its final version releases. I sincerely hope this game manages to get popular worldwide, so the brazilian gaming industry can grow and you all can play games made here to get familiar with our culture!

 

  • Like 7
  • Realistic Steak! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Creed Bratton
59 minutes ago, Edward RDRIII said:

not many companies risks making open world games such as GTA and the ones who does fails miserably at that

Making a cheap version of a GTA game as a small indie studio with no experience is a terrible idea. There's nothing about this game that makes me want to know more about it, let alone play it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edward RDRIII
3 minutes ago, Creed Bratton said:

Making a cheap version of a GTA game as a small indie studio with no experience is a terrible idea. There's nothing about this game that makes me want to know more about it, let alone play it.

It's not a terrible idea, you gotta start somewhere to get big eventually, no one is forcing you to play it though, so just ignore the topic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Creed Bratton
2 hours ago, Edward RDRIII said:

It's not a terrible idea, you gotta start somewhere to get big eventually

Yes it is a terrible idea. Starting somewhere doesn't mean starting with a GTA clone. That's why most indie studios start with smaller games, like 2D platformers etc.

Edited by Creed Bratton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In fairness making bigger games is getting easier and easier due to the advancements and general availability in game creation tools.

 

Lot of devs make 2D platforms cause they are "easier" sure, but they also go that route because they're trendy, there's a lot of indie games that are essentially award bait these days, often adapting popular trends like niche art styles, somber stories, platformer mechanics, roguelike mechanics, etc.  But there are good 3D indie games out there and while GTA clones are typically a bit more advanced than most games this game seems to be closer to the 3D era GTA's vs modern day GTA's, which is fine.

 

It looked surprisingly well put together to me, but we dont know how much of that video was fudged. The visual style looks coherent too which is always an issue with these sorts of games at indie level, it looks pretty decent albeit a bit too clean in areas.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it looks pretty good, and the more choices there are the better. Competition drives innovation (and better pricing)

 

This looks like a realistic Brazil life simulator to me :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Creed Bratton
7 hours ago, Jason said:

In fairness making bigger games is getting easier and easier due to the advancements and general availability in game creation tools.

Do you honestly not see what this game is?

 

And 2D platformers are trendy because a small studio can manage to create something that is both unique and high quality. They are not trendy because the market demands 2d platformers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I don't really subscribe to very negative attitude of "it's a terrible idea." No offence to you Creed but this studio is actually making gains trying to do something. If I was a developer I would think I'd be proud to work on a project like that. It's this type of project that would get these developers noticed by Rockstar and Take-Two. And it's the kind of project that could differentiate a developer from an entry level developer. 

 

I just don't get the "it's terrible" attiude. With that mindset, this project wouldn't exist. Unless you want to elaborate more..?

 

12 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

Making a cheap version of a GTA game as a small indie studio with no experience is a terrible idea. There's nothing about this game that makes me want to know more about it, let alone play it.

You dont' really know the motivations of each developer making this.  If it's a passion project for the developer,  great. It could be a learning excercise for them and something for their resume so they get picked up as indivuduals for Ubisoft, Rockstar, 2K or whoever. 

 

When I've shot and directed music videos I know at the begining my video isn't going to look like something you'd see like a mainstream music video with a big budget. But every shoot is a massive learning experience. Filmmaking is all about problem solving there and then. No matter how much pre-production you do, there are always unexpected obstacles that are just so unique to every shoot. And like videogame development, it's where creativity meets technology. And different tech will serve different purposes. But why do we do it when we know the video wont look like the quality of Spike Jonez video? Because we have to make the video in order to learn. We have to reach higher to try land on next evolutionary step of skills and achievement. I can hypothesize about making short films ad nauseum in preparation for my first feature film. And that's a process I would say could work but  it would longer and still not cover all the logistics of shooting a longer form film.  But you know what would give me the most experience making feature films? Making feature films. And I extend that thinking to these guys. Getting experience making a GTA style game buy litterally making a GTA style game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Creed Bratton said:

Do you honestly not see what this game is?

 

And 2D platformers are trendy because a small studio can manage to create something that is both unique and high quality. They are not trendy because the market demands 2d platformers.

 

They are trendy because it's a genre that has been incredibly succesful for many indie devs lol. There's a load of them adopting things like roguelike, soulslike mechanics etc. They're in vogue. Just like survival games, often made by small teams, or Journey likes a few years ago.

 

I mean we have tiny teams making stuff like CRPG's and stuff too lol.

 

The idea that a small team can't make a GTA throwback is just honestly a really bad take in general tbh, as if we should stick with 2D platformers from the indie scene cause ???.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Creed Bratton
40 minutes ago, Jason said:

The idea that a small team can't make a GTA throwback is just honestly a really bad take in general tbh, as if we should stick with 2D platformers from the indie scene cause ???

A small, but experienced and talented team probably could make an original take on GTA, on a smaller scale. But if you look at the footage for this game, it paints a different picture. It's a blatant cheaply made GTA clone with no real vision of being anything else.

 

Why am I still surprised that most gamers are incapable of recognizing shovelware when they see it?

Edited by Creed Bratton
  • excuseme 1
  • KEKW 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edward RDRIII
11 hours ago, Jason said:

In fairness making bigger games is getting easier and easier due to the advancements and general availability in game creation tools.

 

Lot of devs make 2D platforms cause they are "easier" sure, but they also go that route because they're trendy, there's a lot of indie games that are essentially award bait these days, often adapting popular trends like niche art styles, somber stories, platformer mechanics, roguelike mechanics, etc.  But there are good 3D indie games out there and while GTA clones are typically a bit more advanced than most games this game seems to be closer to the 3D era GTA's vs modern day GTA's, which is fine.

 

It looked surprisingly well put together to me, but we dont know how much of that video was fudged. The visual style looks coherent too which is always an issue with these sorts of games at indie level, it looks pretty decent albeit a bit too clean in areas.

 

 

This game probably has more inspiration from GTA San Andreas than any other GTA, that's probably why you think it resembles the style of the 3D Era ones, it was the most popular GTA game until GTA 5 came out here and the one most of us grew up playing in our childhood, not to mention that the "hood" aspect of it resembles a lot the vast majority of our country, I still live in one to this day and shootouts happens on a weekly basis here due to gang activity unfortunately, we don't live in a safe country, but that's exactly why it fits a "GTA" style game so much and fortunately they're working in one, I don't know if it will have a fleshed out story though or if it will more of a free roam role play.

 

5 hours ago, smokeless6 said:

I think it looks pretty good, and the more choices there are the better. Competition drives innovation (and better pricing)

 

This looks like a realistic Brazil life simulator to me :)

It's really close to our reality indeed, its ambientation is pretty realistic in my opinion.

Edited by Edward RDRIII
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edward RDRIII
43 minutes ago, StreetLife102 said:

Damn this game is gonna be better than Saints Row: 2022 Reboot :kekw:

I's not like it's the hardest thing to do. :prismkek:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Creed Bratton said:

A small, but experienced and talented team probably could make an original take on GTA, on a smaller scale. But if you look at the footage for this game, it paints a different picture. It's a blatant cheaply made GTA clone with no real vision of being anything else.

 

It doesn't look super well done or anything, no, and it may well be terrible when it comes out, but the idea that indies should stick to their lane is the exact opposite of what makes the indie industry great.

 

A small team with no experience could pull off a decent GTA clone too, hell, there's been small inexperienced devs who have pulled off more complex games, like (C)RPG's.

 

42 minutes ago, Creed Bratton said:

 

Why am I still surprised that most gamers are incapable of recognizing shovelware when they see it?

 

One game in a genre being bad doesn't mean no one else should try it is simply the point. Something like an indie take on a 3D era GTA isn't as complex as it used to be with modern tools, the main hurdle would most likely be asset creation for such a game if I had to guess, not technical or anything like that.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edward RDRIII
44 minutes ago, Creed Bratton said:

A small, but experienced and talented team probably could make an original take on GTA, on a smaller scale. But if you look at the footage for this game, it paints a different picture. It's a blatant cheaply made GTA clone with no real vision of being anything else.

 

Why am I still surprised that most gamers are incapable of recognizing shovelware when they see it?

You're cleary troubled by the idea of other company making a open world game about the criminal life outside of Rockstar Games headquarters and your arguments are just poor, it will look like GTA because that's what happens when you make a open world game which you can comit crimes, drive vehicles and f*ck around its map, and I still don't see the problem, we need such games, especially now that Rockstar Games takes many years to release GTA and Red Dead sequels.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Creed Bratton
9 hours ago, Edward RDRIII said:

You're cleary troubled by the idea of other company making a open world game about the criminal life outside of Rockstar Games headquarters

Not at all. Some of the best games I've played were GTA clones. The Godfather and Scarface: The World is Yours come to mind. First two Saints Row games as well. And they didn't look or feel like GTA. Instead, they did their own, unique thing. What troubles me is the fact that this game doesn't seem to aim to do anything other than be a GTA clone. It doesn't seem to have a reason to exist that is its own. Being like GTA seems to be the only vision for this game. And that's messed up. It's like someone just said "let's make an open world game like GTA" and this is the result. Also, I can see the damn footage. It's shovelware. It doesn't look good.

Edited by Creed Bratton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

Not at all. Some of the best games I've played were GTA clones. The Godfather and Scarface: The World is Yours come to mind. First two Saints Row games as well. And they didn't look or feel like GTA. Instead, they did their own, unique thing.

 

Well that's subjective, lol.

 

Saints Row, especially the first two, were massively inspired by the 3D era GTAs's. They felt a lot like playing those GTA's w/ updated controls and visuals to me... but you could also argue that's simply cause that's the genre. Open world, city, crime game, driving/shooting, if your game has all of those then it's going to feel and look similar to other games in the genre.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edward RDRIII
8 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

Not at all. Some of the best games I've played were GTA clones. The Godfather and Scarface: The World is Yours come to mind. First two Saints Row games as well. And they didn't look or feel like GTA. Instead, they did their own, unique thing. What troubles me is the fact that this game doesn't seem to aim to do anything other than be a GTA clone. It doesn't seem to have a reason to exist that is its own. Being like GTA seems to be the only vision for this game. And that's messed up. It's like someone just said "let's make an open world game like GTA" and this is the result. Also, I can see the damn footage. It's shovelware. It doesn't look good.

Your opinion won't make them cancel the game anyway, so...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Granted, the game does look a bit rough around the edges, but I'm guessing this is because it's an early build of the game, and it's being made by an indie company. Still, a GTA-like game taking place in Brazil is pretty interesting.

 

Honestly, I would love to see a GTA-like game with graphics inspired by the PS2 games as a retro throwback.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edward RDRIII
6 hours ago, Ivan1997GTA said:

Granted, the game does look a bit rough around the edges, but I'm guessing this is because it's an early build of the game, and it's being made by an indie company. Still, a GTA-like game taking place in Brazil is pretty interesting.

 

Honestly, I would love to see a GTA-like game with graphics inspired by the PS2 games as a retro throwback.

I think it looks like that because it's still in the alpha phase of development, however I don't think it will reach RDR2's graphics quality on it's final version, but it may match GTA 5's at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Bump: Here how Early Access looks: 

 

 

Fun Fact: Appearantly Skidrow cracked this game already :D there are few torrents, so if you like to test it you can but run AV scan first

 

They promised that they will expand maps, campaign and in general they'll upgrade this game as much as they can. I don't know if the hype is overhyped at this point, but people seem to believe in this project. Also, they say that they buy it for sure, because they were waiting on a GTA like game for so long, and they love it that it's set in Brazil.

 

What's your thoughts from that early access video? Car explosions looks like Mafia 3 car explosions tbh, lots of invisible walls. Early Access on Steam will be also avaliable if anybody's wondering: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1269370/171PrAlpha/ you can help out devs with suggestions :D 

Edited by Horus Publishing
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2022 at 1:12 PM, Horus Publishing said:

Bump: Here how Early Access looks: 

 

 

Fun Fact: Appearantly Skidrow cracked this game already :D there are few torrents, so if you like to test it you can but run AV scan first

 

They promised that they will expand maps, campaign and in general they'll upgrade this game as much as they can. I don't know if the hype is overhyped at this point, but people seem to believe in this project. Also, they say that they buy it for sure, because they were waiting on a GTA like game for so long, and they love it that it's set in Brazil.

 

What's your thoughts from that early access video? Car explosions looks like Mafia 3 car explosions tbh, lots of invisible walls. Early Access on Steam will be also avaliable if anybody's wondering: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1269370/171PrAlpha/ you can help out devs with suggestions :D 

the car physics and damage actually look pretty good. The graphics are nice. How many npcs will be there? How big will the map be? Have they written a story?

Overall looks like it can compete with the 3d era GTAs atleast (except San Andreas in terms of scale/things to do).

Edited by The Artist
  • Like 3

                                                                                                                                      Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Artist said:

the car physics and damage actually look pretty good. The graphics are nice. How many npcs will be there? How big will the map be? Have they written a story?

Overall looks like it can compete with the 3d era GTAs atleast (except San Andreas in terms of scale/things to do).

 

Who knows, really. I saw a early bug, when the Police SUV came after player, the policeman just casually went through the SUV. It has some bugs & invisible walls (these invisible walls suggests, that there will be map expansion probably). The clothes shop looks meh, it's not even in a interior so they can improve on that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edward RDRIII

The video @Horus Publishing posted is from the pre-alpha version, this new version coming out this month is the alpha version, it looks way better than that already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Edward RDRIII said:

The video @Horus Publishing posted is from the pre-alpha version, this new version coming out this month is the alpha version, it looks way better than that already.

How do you know that? And did they say anything about the story?

  • Like 1

                                                                                                                                      Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Edward RDRIII said:

The video @Horus Publishing posted is from the pre-alpha version, this new version coming out this month is the alpha version, it looks way better than that already.

 

Hey! If you guys want, you can be a translator. I recently emailed them, with a translation proposition and they responded, that they would like to form a team of foreign translators, which can translate from Portugese - English, or English - to any language you wish, if you're fluent. Email them at [email protected] and maybe you can become a translator, if you know more than 1 language.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Edward RDRIII
22 minutes ago, The Artist said:

How do you know that? And did they say anything about the story?

Simply look at his video and the latest gameplay trailer, you'll see it's different, even the HUD. I don't know about its story, I only see roleplaying things atm.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
universetwisters

WOW I’m surprised how far along this came from years ago, although I do understand @Creed Bratton’s skepticism; after games like Raw and Cyberpunk, it’s easy to make a bad game look good than just make a good game.

 

Either way, we shall see in a few days whether or not this is a truly good game or just fancy shovelware. Even though I don’t care much about the setting, I really hope it’s the former

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • 1 User Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 1 Guest

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.