2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

Is GTA San Andreas worth playing in 2022?

Dutch VDL

Dutch VDL

So I was helping my mother move out the other day and I found my old PS2 and San Andreas. They must've been there for like 15 years. I took it back to mine but I haven't touched it yet, I'm currently in bed with a pretty bad case of either corona or the flu, but I'm thinking of starting it again once I feel better. It'll take me ages as I'm normally pretty busy, but I haven't played it since before GTA IV came out and I loved it. It's probably my favourite GTA game. OK so the graphics will be terrible and the engine really outdated. Is it still worth playing?spacer.png

That question could be asked years from now and the answer will still be a resounding 'Yes!' I recently started replaying it on the PC after a long time and the outdated graphics didn't bother me at all, and I'm attempting my first 100% complete run. Maybe you too could set that as a goal when you're replaying it.

Anyways, hope you get better soon!

• YEE 1

cant remember

I would say yes but I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

Are the highways also a broken mess on the original PS2 version?

Dutch VDL
5 hours ago, zyenapz said:

That question could be asked years from now and the answer will still be a resounding 'Yes!' I recently started replaying it on the PC after a long time and the outdated graphics didn't bother me at all, and I'm attempting my first 100% complete run. Maybe you too could set that as a goal when you're replaying it.

Anyways, hope you get better soon!

Thanks. I completely forgot that I've still got RDR II to finish, but after that I'm definitely gonna give San Andreas another go!

5 hours ago, cant remember said:

I would say yes but I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

Are the highways also a broken mess on the original PS2 version?

I've no idea, I haven't played it since about 2008.

6 hours ago, Dutch VDL said:

So I was helping my mother move out the other day and I found my old PS2 and San Andreas. They must've been there for like 15 years. I took it back to mine but I haven't touched it yet, I'm currently in bed with a pretty bad case of either corona or the flu, but I'm thinking of starting it again once I feel better. It'll take me ages as I'm normally pretty busy, but I haven't played it since before GTA IV came out and I loved it. It's probably my favourite GTA game. OK so the graphics will be terrible and the engine really outdated. Is it still worth playing?

If you decide to complete %100 "+" yes.. it is a really long game when it comes to 100 Percent and it is still worth to play 😉 

For me PS2 graphics were always better than PC.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, but you could enhance it with some vanila styled mods. This is my adivce.

GrapeSeedGuy

It is still the same game from 2004, only the graphics have gotten somewhat worse lol

The Artist

Graphics are obviously aged now, but the gameplay mechanics hold up pretty well still. If you're playing on PC, use texture and vegetation mods which make the game look a lot better.

Soapbox: GTA: San Andreas Is Still an Open World Classic | Push Square

Lioshenka

The only issue is that PS2 doesn't support large screen resolutions. I have my PS2 plugged into a 42" TV. If you sit 2.5 metres away from it the graphics looks amazing. If you have a small screen then they look even smoother, so that you can sit closer if you want.

Edited by Lioshenka
  • Like 1

Bowling_Cousin

Definitely, I still play the GTA trilogy (the original PS2 one, not the abomination that is the so-called definitive edition) occasionally and the graphics/engine doesn't bother me at all. Easily the best GTA games in my opinion.

Kioto Medalight

Absolutely, but you'd get a better game experience by playing on PC with essential fixes installed.

Official General

Yes but you're better off playing it on PC (for modding especially) or the latest gen consoles for the Definite Edition. Both versions are highly enhanced and offer a much better experience than on the PS2. 

Edited by Official General

Midnight Hitman

Yes definitely, but please, for god's sake, don't play the Definitive Edition or the 2014 "remaster". Get the original version for PC, OG Xbox or PS2. The PC version is good by itself, but you can also mod it easily and apply the SkyGFX mod - this mod provides the original PS2 visuals (SA got released on PS2 and then ported over to PC and Xbox back then, and in those ports some visual effects got missing, it's not that bad, but if you want those additional visuals, install SkyGFX).

The Definitive Edition is garbage - visually and bug/glitch-wise. It completely cripples, manhandles, destroys the art-style of the game, all the atmosphere is lost, it's heartbreaking what R* and GSG have done to this game. Also don't play the 2014 "remaster", it is (just like the Definitive Edition) a severe downgrade to the original versions on the game. Those "remasters" are automatically downloaded on Xbox One/Series S/X and Playstation 4/5 when inserting a SA disc, so be careful. I'd recommend you to play SA on PC, make sure you get the OG version from 2004.

@Official General Why on earth would you recommend him the Definitive Edition over any of the OG editions? I get that playing the OG PS2 version on PS2 would be a little bit painful today, but the OG PC version (maybe with SkyGFX mod for PS2 visuals)??? Playing the PS2 version on an emulator with visual fixes is still miles better than playing the DE.

TL;DR: Play the 2004 OG version, DON'T get the 2014 remaster, DON'T get the 2021 "Definitive Edition".

Official General
1 minute ago, Midnight Hitman said:

Yes definitely, but please, for god's sake, don't play the Definitive Edition or the 2014 "remaster". Get the original version for PC, OG Xbox or PS2. The PC version is good by itself, but you can also mod it easily and apply the SkyGFX mod - this mod provides the original PS2 visuals (SA got released on PS2 and then ported over to PC and Xbox back then, and in those ports some visual effects got missing, it's not that bad, but if you want those additional visuals, install SkyGFX).

The Definitive Edition is garbage - visually and bug/glitch-wise. It completely cripples, manhandles, destroys the art-style of the game, all the atmosphere is lost, it's heartbreaking what R* and GSG have done to this game. Also don't play the 2014 "remaster", it is (just like the Definitive Edition) a severe downgrade to the original versions on the game. Those "remasters" are automatically downloaded on Xbox One/Series S/X and Playstation 4/5 when inserting a SA disc, so be careful. I'd recommend you to play SA on PC, make sure you get the OG version from 2004.

@Official General Why on earth would you recommend him the Definitive Edition over any of the OG editions? I get that playing the OG PS2 version on PS2 would be a little bit painful today, but the OG PC version (maybe with SkyGFX mod for PS2 visuals)??? Playing the PS2 version on an emulator with visual fixes is still miles better than playing the DE.

TL;DR: Play the 2004 OG version, DON'T get the 2014 remaster, DON'T get the 2021 "Definitive Edition".

I meant if they are planning on getting a console version, then get the Definitive Edition,, playing it on a PS2 now would feel too dated. If not, it's PC all the way. 

Midnight Hitman

@Official General Yeah ok, but on console I'd actually recommend the 2014 remaster over the Definitive Edition (sadly those are the only versions that are available on current gen consoles at the moment...), because in the DE the maxed out draw distance and severe lack of weather effects takes away the whole atmosphere.

BUT: If OP owns an original Xbox 360, I'd recommend getting the OG Xbox version from 2004. THIS OG version is playable on Xbox 360 (on 360 you really can play the OG version via backwards compatibility, on Xbox One/Series S/X it would download the 2014 remaster when inserting that disc).

• Like 1

Smash Bandicoot

Not even a question, YEEEEESSS.

Oh, BTW, if you're reading this, don't mind the graphics, they might not be "up to date", but they have no impact on the actual game and actually give the game a very unique atmospheric flair.

CorneliaPatterson

Yes, it will always. For the very first time, I completed GTA San Andreas in a 1 month. lol. The plane mission was difficult where we have to catch a plane from back on a runway with a bike. I completed it after 10 tries. hehehe. 

Spoiler

Yes, it will always. For the very first time, I completed GTA San Andreas in a 1 month. lol. The plane mission was difficult where we have to catch a plane from back on a runway with a bike. I completed it after 10 tries. hehehe. I found the website writinguniverse, which helped me finish my essay swiftly and turn it in on time. Check out https://letsgradeit.com/review/writinguniverse/ to see reviews of this service. If you are confused of how to approach writing an essay for a college project, you may check it out on our website and choose the best website for your college and school work.

Edited by CorneliaPatterson

paksindra

Definitely, the SA-MP or MTASA Community is still alive and well, I might say. feel free to visit one of the servers, you might enjoy it more.

Jioyt 123

I would say yes totally go for it, but only if you can take into account how old the game is and are ready to get accustomed to the way they play. Saying that, I think San Andreas is quite easy to pick up and get used to, especially compared to a lot of other games from around the time. (I may be a bit biased here since I never really stopped playing San Andreas though)

If you do decide to play, I hope you have fun with it!