2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

Need for Speed: Unbound

StreetLife102

Am I the only one who wishes there was a "streamer mode" option? As a throwback, they could splice in the OST from older NFS games, like High Stakes and Carbon, for the menus and racing in streamer mode, and maybe the story cutscenes, too.

It's not just to avoid problems with copyright on platforms like YouTube, some players may not find the licensed music their cup of tea. A "streamer mode" would be nice to add in a later update.

Edited by Ivan1997GTA
  • YEE 2

2 hours ago, Ivan1997GTA said:

Am I the only one who wishes there was a "streamer mode" option? As a throwback, they could splice in the OST from older NFS games, like High Stakes and Carbon, for the menus and racing in streamer mode, and maybe the story cutscenes, too.

It's not just to avoid problems with copyright on platforms like YouTube, some players may not find the licensed music their cup of tea. A "streamer mode" would be nice to add in a later update.

I'm not even a streamer and I'd love that. Anything to get away from that damn playboi carti song. The switch song button doesn't work so I have to scramble to turn the music off when it plays.

These games are not Need For Speed, these games are just softcore versions of Burnout Paradise.

I can only wish one day Criterion get free pass to do another Burnout game, because watching crashes in Unbound is just hurtful. License is helluva drug, and they cannot get rid of it. Because I dont know, they lost like five fans of some niche carmaker.

I played it on my friends PS5 and the game is whack, like the past few entries. It's the same game since the Need For Speed "reboot"

The car list is almost identical, game after game, sure they add a new car here and there (mostly few current models, Lamborghini's etc) but I'm tired of seeing the same Volvo, the same '92 Mustang 5.0, the same 570S. Can't they scrap all that and start with something fresh? How about a '70 GTO or 3000GT maybe Audi Quattro, they had 3 years! Instead they took the lazy way and keep recycling the same old cars.

Map also feels very similar, small scale city on the east side of the map and bunch of bland country side to the west. They've been doing it since 2015! 
NFS, city like area on the east, more mountain-ish curvy roads to the west.
Payback, Vegas like city to the east, desert and mountains to the west.
Heat, city on the east, country on the west...
It feels like a damn re-skin every single time, and it doesn't help that the cities are small.

With the feel of the game and the dopey kids look they obviously wanted something akin to Underground, illegal street racing, and since the city is obviously Chicago inspired this game should've focused on urban racing alone, bigger city would go a long way.

The horrendous presentation, we got very realistic graphics, cars and game world, but then we have the cartoony characters and special effects like smoke and wings. Couldn't they commit to one style? 

I can't judge on the story since I played it twice for a total of 5 hours just driving and racing and running from the police.

But from two cutscenes... I'd rather pierce my balls with a butter knife than be subjected to this sh*t again. Heat was bad enough, at least the story there was short.

Obviously this game caters to the youngsters of this generation of which style and music I can't stand.

In Heat the soundtrack was atrocious but the solution was simple, Music Volume 0%, USB, two playlists, 80's Heavy Metal for day and Retrowave for the night.

NFS is dead, to me personally.

Folks can't shut up about older NFS games and especially NFS Most Wanted or Carbon for a reason, those games had style, good gameplay and as corny and cheese as they were, they owned it.

Most Wanted didn't try to appeal to no particular group of people, it simply was, and it gave us the best police chases.

Paul Linford's score was excellent and full of suspense, use the time stamps to go to 10:33 mark and tell me that didn't feel exciting when you were driving 180mph, look back and see 20 police cars behind and a helicopter hovering right above.

Unbound police chase score is a bland and uninspiring Soundcloud trap.

Golden age of street racing games like Burnout, Midnight Club and NFS (before Pro Street) will never be replicated.

Edited by Adrian J.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It's a game where you play it and you're like yea this is fun, this is a genuinely good game... and then you stop playing it and forget it exists. Not a game that pulls you back in at all.

I get the impression that the trial was enough fun for most people lol. I imagine it'll be on EA Play / GPU as soon as EA's usual 6-8 months is up, can't see them holding it back like they have with other games (BF 2042 for example).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I recently discovered people are hating soundtrack with passion and some even puts mix of game with old NFS soundtrack.

With old songs that game definitely looks great.

Im only realising, was always NFS basic car game? With songs miraculously fixing everything?

On 12/23/2022 at 2:09 AM, Jason said:

It's a game where you play it and you're like yea this is fun, this is a genuinely good game... and then you stop playing it and forget it exists. Not a game that pulls you back in at all.

I get the impression that the trial was enough fun for most people lol. I imagine it'll be on EA Play / GPU as soon as EA's usual 6-8 months is up, can't see them holding it back like they have with other games (BF 2042 for example).

Yes, this is exactly how I feel about it. I mean the last time I played it was on December 12th and I never touched it since. I just forgot about it and don't really find motivation to start it again?

But this is something that happens with a lot of games lately. I start them and lose interest after around 10 or so hours. It happened with NFS Unbound, God of War, Cyberpunk and some other games as well.

The last games where this did not happen were The Last of Us Part 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild.

54 minutes ago, Emmi said:

Yes, this is exactly how I feel about it. I mean the last time I played it was on December 12th and I never touched it since. I just forgot about it and don't really find motivation to start it again?

But this is something that happens with a lot of games lately. I start them and lose interest after around 10 or so hours. It happened with NFS Unbound, God of War, Cyberpunk and some other games as well.

The last games where this did not happen were The Last of Us Part 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild.

As Im older, there are really few games that gets my full attention.  Im less willing to making 100%, because its waste if time. 

I dont know, maybe its natural. I used to play a lot.

With NFS, it's just a stagnant genre pretty much. Fans want a callback to the glory days but the glory days aren't out special by modern standards. The genre needs something fresh, something new, but as of yet no one making the games has figured out what. It makes for games where, as I said, you play them and think they're fun but then put them down and have no desire to return to them. They're competently made and genuine fun but at the same time are uninteresting as hell.

I've said as much before, but TDU laid the ground work for the modern open world racer and as of yet no one has yet to actually figure out how to replicate it... which is frustrating cause TDU's formula really f*cking simple lol. Big map and a game that puts the cars front and centre, that's it. What we get instead nowadays is these samey, smaller maps, with a game that puts grinding and progression far ahead of the cars.

Interior camera with freelook, allow us to interact with the car (windows/roof up & down etc), big map that encourages players to drive just for enjoyments sake, nothing complex. Instead we got a bunch of games that are just a rehash of a formula we've had for decades now.

I'd call my self mad for referencing TDU all the time when it comes to open world racers but when I look at them, how the devs talk, some even name drop the franchise, it's painfully f*cking obvious how those two TDU games with all their issues are still a major source of inspiration for all these games. I mean, The Crew 3 just got announced (many of the original TC devs were TDU vets too) and it's literally set on f*cking Oahu lol.

Adrian J.

TDU wasn't my cup of tea but I see your point, it was meticulously crafted with one thing in mind, cars and racing.

My favourite racing game of all time is without a question Midnight Club: Los Angeles, which I still play to this day, fifteen years later.

R* f*cking nailed it, starting with the game world.

Los Angeles just looks beautiful, the day and night cycle, weather, the colors, traffic on the highways is dense, streets filled with pedestrians, planes and helicopters in the sky.

Product placement in this game doesn't bother me, as in other games we get one or two sponsors and see those plastered everywhere in MCLA there's such a huge amount that it makes you feel like a real place, we have iPod, Mtv, Dub, American Apparel, Gamestop, Best Buy, Pizza Hut, 7/11, Ford, Tmobile and much much more.

On the gameplay side of things, races are fantastic, they take you through malls, buildings, alleys, highways and the beaches, and on higher difficulties there's even more shortcuts to take with racers speeding from all directions creating this chaotic but intense racing.

The amount of events is also huge, from typical sprint, time trials and lap races we get highway battles which makes Undercover highway battles look like a joke. Red light races, landmark races, un-ordered races, car deliveries and those missions for Karol where we get the Buick GNX and smash other vehicles. 

From what I can tell there's no rubber banding in this game, basically if I screw up badly the chances of me winning are slim, but if the racers get smoked they get smoked and won't magically be behind me 5 seconds later.

Not to mention the sense of speed is amazing no matter what camera mode is used, my preference is from behind the wheel, I've been using it for so long playing from 3rd person view feel so strange.

Police is also in the game, though nothing as intense as Most Wanted, they're a nice addition, more like basic everyday cops than a speed squad. But little details like them pulling you over for minor things and having the officer walking up to your car which is seen from the dash cam, from there you can spin the tires and run initiating the pursuit or stand there and pay a small fine instead of being arrested if we chose to run.

They can also show during the races.

Car selection is decent enough and provides variety, we get beauties like the Buick Riviera, '96 Impala SS or 3000GT. There's also S7, Murcielago, Kawasaki Ninja and other rather rare cars that usually don't appear in racing games.

Modifications are very good, there's always all kinds of headlights, bumpers, hoods, side skirts, taillights, spoilers, exhausts. We can also modify the interior of the car with colors, gauges, seats, steering wheels and neon. 

An option to do pearlescent coat with options to mix colors, wrap editor was also ahead of it's time.

Music is ok, it has some bangers from all kinds of genres but I make my own playlists on PS3.

Nowadays I light up, cruise through South Central listening to The Formula by the DOC during the sunset, then when it gets dark I drive downtown with Lap Dance by NERD or Livin' It Up by Limp Bizkit blasting through my speakers, beer and the racing begins. That gives me such late 90's early 2000's vibes straight from the first The Fast And The Furious.

No other racing game provided me with so much entertainment over the years, not Horizon, not The Crew, not Burnout, not even Need For Speed.

MCLA is packed with that old R* quality and attention to details, my only very minor complaints are lack of animation for honking when in 1st person view during driving and not all traffic cars are licensed.

Edited by Adrian J.

• 3 weeks later...
el carlitos

Game doesn´t seem to be very popular.

I still think Need for Speed 2015 was last good NFS and underrated. Maybe I will get this NFS when it´s <20€. I just want to customize and collect cars.

Edited by el carlitos

Relative to recent NFS games, it's a perfectly good game. Heat was solid too, but relative to something like Forza Horizon it's just... no where near, and Horizon isn't without it's problems either.

I think I'll 100% revisit my save when it launches on EA Play/GP but yea, no surprise it came and went without much fanfare.

I think they really need to reinvent what a NFS is but like actually go down to the mechanics and core design, not just give it a fresh lick of paint and new customisation options every time. The car physics need a complete rethink and, IMO, the maps need to be bigger. The handling though is just like... bleh. I'm not expecting or wanting sim or sim-like physics but the cars in the past few NFS I've played just feel unnatural and weird resulting in a racing experience where racing in a weird unrealistic manner is often best. They improved it a little in Unbound with the grip handling model but it's still just weird.

• Like 2