2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

*DO NOT* SHARE MEDIA OR LINKS TO LEAKED COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL. Discussion is allowed.

MOTW #212

zeko

Who will win MOTW#212?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win MOTW#212?

• KadiR - Gun Sales
    • SuperBad FT - Arms Shootout
    • Mr. M - Stained and Subversive
    • Martinovich - No Promises
    • Claudiu F - The Little Birde
    • Tay K - deal from way back
    • DucKingheights - Unfavorable Exchanges
    • Stardust101 - The Exchange
    • M316 - Ballad of Cal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/30/2022 at 02:00 AM

MOTW #212

GBlYHlm.png

For rules and guidelines, click here.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER

Posting reviews/feedback before the participation deadline is strictly NOT allowed. You may post reviews/feedback once voting starts.

Theme:

spacer.png

ARMS DEALING

Description of the theme

Theme is self explanatory - make a mission about illicit trade where two parties agree or ambush, or other - on a deal.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Blatant troll behavior will NOT be tolerated.

Entries

KadiR

Gun Sales

SuperBad FT

Arms Shootout

Mr.M

Stained and Subversive

Martinovich

No Promises

Claudiu F

The Little Birde

Tay K

deal from way back

DucKingheights

Unfavorable Exchanges

Stardust101

The Exchange

M316

Ballad of Cal

Deadlines

Participation: 28/08/2022 - 2:00 AM (GMT Timezone)

Voting: 30/08/2022 - 2:00 AM (GMT Timezone)

Credits

AnDReJ98 - Founder & Co-Leader

RithRake24 - Co-Leader (2019-present)

Target13 - Co-Leader (2014, 2018-2019)

Chips237 - Co-Leader (2013)

The Odyssey - Founder of the first MOTW Discussion Thread

@zeko - Winner of MOTW #211 and host

Edited by zeko

interesting man
i will try to participate :panic:

Edited by MassM

Ok so for anyone who is gonna play my mission pls read the top comment in the dyom page of my mission cos i updated the media link but the site doesnt allow me to update the link to it

9 missions!

Haven't seen this sight since forever

Alright guys this is my first review of the MOTW #212, any questions or objections please reply or go to hell (JK) XD

The Mission / Author :
1- Gun Sales (KadiR*): Short mission with some good camera angles, pretty good gameplay with two different attack groups besides the music.
Final Rate : 3 / 5

2- Arms Shootout (SuperBad FT): Another short mission but with good gameplay, the place where you go to kill the Russians is pretty unique.

Final Rate : / 5

3- No Promises (Martin_Strada/Martinovich): Another amazing with interesting gameplay along with the good soundtrack, the design of the ship is well made, the sniper part was good to make your friends get in, the chasing on the boats was pretty unique.

Final Rate : 4.5 / 5

4- The Little Birde (Claudiu F): Good mission with interesting design of Catalina along with gameplay, pretty hilarious jokes about ass crackin or whatever you call it, and the story was kind of attracting.
Final Rate : 3.5  / 5

5- Deal From Way Back (Tay K): Another amazing mission with a good gameplay, pretty unique move using DYOM Members as the characters of this mission, interesting cutscenses beside the chase on the road.
Final Rate : 4 / 5

6- Unfavorable Exchanges (DucKingheights): Another amazing along with good camera angles, the place of the attack was well made, finding hidden pickups along with the waves of the enemies was unique and epic move to make the gameplay more challenging.
Final Rate : 4.5 / 5

7- The Exchange (Stardust101): Good mission with some nice cutscenes, using the bug to the van to capture the enemies location was a smart move to make the mission more realistic, good ending for the government.

8- Ballad of Cal (M316): Another amazing mission with combining Rebound style, interesting gameplay besides the cutscenes and the music, the place of attacking the enemies and the antagonist was well made, the end of the mission showing the protagonist of Rebound was pretty unique and funny idea.
Final Rate 4.5 / 5

here is my review for this MOTW, all missions was pretty well made and all you see is written from what i think, hope any designer won't be feelings mad or disrespected, everyone did a great job.

Edited by MassM
  • Like 1
  • Best Bru 2

SuperBad FT
1 hour ago, MassM said:

Alright guys this is my first review of the MOTW #212, any questions or objections please reply or go to hell (JK) XD

The Mission / Author :
1- Gun Sales (KadiR*): Short mission with some good camera angles, pretty good gameplay with two different attack groups besides the music.
Final Rate : 3 / 5

2- Arms Shootout (SuperBad FT): Another short mission but with good gameplay, the place where you go to kill the Russians is pretty unique.

Final Rate : / 5

3- Stained And Subversive (Mr.M/MassM): Amazing mission with some details in the cutscenes, the place of loading the goods was designed well, the ability of choosing one of  the trucks to follow is a unique idea, interesting gameplay along with the cutscenes, the part where you chase after the antagonist inside the helicopter was an epic move.

4- No Promises (Martin_Strada/Martinovich): Another amazing with interesting gameplay along with the good soundtrack, the design of the ship is well made, the sniper part was good to make your friends get in, the chasing on the boats was pretty unique.

Final Rate : 4.5 / 5

5- The Little Birde (Claudiu F): Good mission with interesting design of Catalina along with gameplay, pretty hilarious jokes about ass crackin or whatever you call it, and the story was kind of attracting.

6- Deal From Way Back (Tay K): Another amazing mission with a good gameplay, pretty unique move using DYOM Members as the characters of this mission, interesting cutscenses beside the chase on the road.
Final Rate : 4 / 5

7- Unfavorable Exchanges (DucKingheights): Another amazing along with good camera angles, the place of the attack was well made, finding hidden pickups along with the waves of the enemies was unique and epic move to make the gameplay more challenging.

8- The Exchange (Stardust101): Good mission with some nice cutscenes, using the bug to the van to capture the enemies location was a smart move to make the mission more realistic, good ending for the government.

9- Ballad of Cal (M316): Another amazing mission with combining Rebound style, interesting gameplay besides the cutscenes and the music, the place of attacking the enemies and the antagonist was well made, the end of the mission showing the protagonist of Rebound was pretty unique and funny idea.
Final Rate 4.5 / 5

here is my review for this MOTW, all missions was pretty well made and all you see is written from what i think, hope any designer won't be feelings mad or disrespected, everyone did a great job.

You reviewed your own mission. 

• KEKW 2

1 hour ago, SuperBad FT said:

You reviewed your own mission. 

why not BOI
everything is cool so no worries 🙂
edit: i edit it dont worry 🤣

Edited by MassM

Kingheights

My reviews of each of the submissions for this MOTW:

• KadiR - Gun Sales:

Pros: (None)

Cons:

Unimpressed on how you start the mission off reminding the player that this a MOTW contest and that you tell us to vote for it if we liked it. The title of the mission and it’s description on the DYOM site already saids that, why repeat those things in-game? 

Dialogue was poorly made, you don’t describe to us what the protagonist is doing in brackets you show to us by using a combination of more dialogue than you used for that bit of dialogue and using that animation of Adrien pulling out his wallet earlier. 

Mission was too easy with the enemies having really poor accuracy; I could just stay crouched and easily pick off their heads one by one.

Didn’t even that move that much in the area I was in either.

Use different terminology for eliminating the enemies, using the word “kill” to describe having to the neutralise the enemies makes the objective text very uninteresting and strip it from nearly all emotion.

PS, you didn’t turn off the wanted level.

Conclusion:
Wouldn’t recommend it, the cons of this mission speaks for itself.

• SuperBad FT - Arms Shootout:

Pros:
Variety in locations, you’re first outdoors traversing through a decent large space to eliminate the mobsters, and then you’re navigating through the corridors and picking them off in there. Decent amount of variety in general, the start and end of the missions are driving sections while the middle parts are the shooting gallery sections.

Did appreciate having to defeat a boss in order to get the briefcase.

Cons:
The enemies prior to the boss was too easy, so much so that I could just run up close to each of the enemies that were facing me, and wouldn’t take that much damage at all (though, this is with picking up all the health and armour pickups included in the parts of this mission). Like with KadiR’s mission, they have poor accuracy except here they’re a bit harder.

The boss part of the mission was a bit a chore to complete as he was just a bullet sponge to take out.

Conclusion:
It’s, an alright mission, and for that I recommend it. Decent amount of variety, but however suffers from enemies with low accuracy. 

PS, spaghetti balls.

• Mr M - Stained and Subversive:

Pros:
Opening cutscene was excellent. It was packed with people driving forklifts, a crane dropping an object in the truck, people talking people standing around and people helping with something. Just generally there was a lot of things happening in the background yet it didn’t take your attention from the main characters speaking it only served to greatly enhance and add more variety in the cutscene. 

Camerawork was quite varied, you got your static cameras of course but then you got your 3rd person cameras, and your lock-on cameras. Not only that, but I liked that the camera while facing the building panned towards Daniel, successfully creating suspense and showing what the plan of action was.

Different change of pace with having the player follow the truck to the deal, and by different I mean it’s unique, and I dig it. Also, I really appreciated that you had a choice on which truck to follow, with both trucks taking different routes.

The difficulty pacing was paced quite well, while the first shooting section was too easy for my taste the 2nd was hard enough to incentivise myself to take cover and take out the enemies. 

To spice things up, and like I mentioned before following the truck, later on you’re chasing a vehicle to it’s location.

Cons: (None)

Nitpicks:  
Unless it was an object and actor limit, you could of blocked off any possible way outs and have the player be forced to jump the ramp to get out of the area where the deal happened. 

Instead of saying that there is a sound nearby by using “sound” after describing what the sound is, use terminology to describe the distance of a sound being described i.e “(DISTANT GUNSHOT)”.

Conclusion:
Fantastic mission, I absolutely recommend it. It’s got variety, it’s got great camerawork, and surprisingly it’s got a decently paced difficulty curve that greatly matches the setup, tension and climax of the story. 

• Martin_Strada - No Promises:

Pros: 
Opening shot was excellent, featuring a beautiful yellow sky then panning to reveal the location while also detailing the specifics of the location and the time. After that you, you got some great panning shots of the characters and the locations and for creating suspense man, just exceptional camerawork all around.

I can’t blame you for using Payday 2 OST I mean, it’s got the soundtrack that would perfectly fit for a DYOM mission and the opening easily and exceptionally creates suspense. But anyways, great source of music you chose for this mission it really heightens the action of the mission.

Excellent set piece you’ve created during the shooting at the ship, especially with the explosive barrels and the amount of destructible vehicles available at your disposal to use against the Yakuza and the mobsters. 

Difficulty of the mission is paced well much like MassM’s mission, starts off easy just getting on the ship but then gets somewhat challenging when fighting the enemies inside, which is always a welcome thing in a single mission.

Did appreciate the inclusion of various strategies you could use prior to boarding the ship, like how you either shoot the barrels while on the hill for no risk of getting shot, or shoot them while on the boat with the added risk of taking damage.

Very nice you have a decent amount of variety of enemies, while they wield different weapons theres also the SWAT member whom consistently aren’t headshottable, so you have to aim for their body to take them out instead.

I do like how your friend inside the cargo ship can be quite helpful for dealing with the police, makes you feel like you’re not doing all the work with taking them out.

Was taken by surprise and impressed on how you killed off one of crew members you played as later in the story, and was astonished by this inclusion as it gave more reason to the player to be more invested in the story and the characters.

The boat part of the mission was quite fleshed out, didn’t expect to see an enemy with a heat seeking missile to be next to the route we’re going through and I enjoyed the inclusion of it as it kept the player vigilant for any enemies up ahead.

Cons: (None)

Notes: 
For some reason theres a chance the helicopter that flys in pops in already smoking and then a few seconds later explodes.
People who average around at least 17-22 fps, the helicopter part is bugged in that additional enemies spawned way off in the distance. The pilot flying the helicopter did fly to the cargo ship just fine though. 

Conclusion:
Overall, exceptional mission. It’s got variety, slightly less than MassM’s mission but still the gameplay elements here are quite fleshed out. Camerawork is top notch, surprisingly it’s got reason to be attached to the characters, and theres actual incentive to use your crew members to take out the enemies inside. Would recommend this mission all the way.

• Claudiu F - The Little Birde:

Pros: 
I enjoyed the comedic writing with the characters, the jokes made me smirk a few times like with Andrew always flirting with Luisa and Luisa and Santiago discussing about having a child, and especially the ending.
Appreciated that you were in the car having control of the camera while sitting back reading what Andrew and Luisa are saying, made the conversation more interesting and the cutscenes more varied.
The Rimmer’s chasing you was nice, added more variety to the mission albeit with one flaw.
I liked the inclusion of the skin, and dayum man Luisa sure is into some kinky sh*t.
Did appreciate the use of cars instead objects for cover, it did incentivise the player to move away from the cover briefly whenever the car is about to explode.

Cons:  
Bit too much health and armour pickups to be honest, only had to use a armour pickup and took cover behind the cars. Though this is with me using an AK from a dead enemy rather than a shotgun you supplied the player with.
The chase sequence was over too quickly, I did it enjoy it’s inclusion however it was only brief and even when the Rimmer’s caught up to me, they weren’t that much of a threat.

Conclusion:
It’s got some nice comedic writing, uses a custom skin and got a bit variety in the cutscenes, however is held up by not that much good in the gameplay department. Still, if you play this mission for the writing, I recommend it otherwise not really.

• Deal from Way Back - Tay K:

Pros: 
Unique that you used DYOM members as the characters for this mission. The characters featured in this mission are accurate to what they would say on discord, with an exception.
Enjoyed the brief parkour section, helped changed the pace with reaching someone.

Cons:  
Chasing Zeko felt more like tailing him than chasing him, and theres no challenge to following him at all. 
Zeko barely got any dialogue, not even dialogue at the end. Robert barely got any dialogue and whatever dialogue was written from him completely contradicts on what he actually say on discord.

Conclusion:
Average. I would recommend playing the mission as a DYOM discord regular, otherwise not really. 

• Stardust101 - The Exchange:

Pros: 
The change of focus of characters when they’re speaking was nice, certainly keen on having the camera shift to Julia and then back on the ground.

Unique story concept, instead you engaging with a third party on a arms deal you bust the deal as government agents instead.

Cons:  

Too short.

The shooting part was too easy.

Conclusion:
Average mission, has a unique story and has unique perspective changes but other than that theres nothing to entice the player to play it. Wouldn’t recommend the mission in my opinion.

• M316 - Ballad of Cal:

Pros: 

Opening cutscene was the sh*t. Got a banger metal song in the background, packed with camera shots showing progress where Cal is going and things that are happening in the background, and quite the varied selection of camera angles used here. Went for a while too and let the player enjoy and take in the music and the cutscene in general.

Dialogue was humorous, certainly enjoyed Cal and Nattie bantering with each other.

Unique nationality with the main characters, I’m certainly keen with including British characters in a mission with the slangs and the way they pronounce things differently to Americans.

Has a custom made island and extension to the default map, being the main location where the mission is set. I’m amazed at how you managed to create such a well designed area only by using objects given DYOM’s limitations.

Very nice set piece and solution you made for blowing up the boats.

Uses custom weapons and modified weapon values, like the shotgun for an example being changed to a double barrelled shotgun capable of firing 2 shells per second. The custom skins are a welcome addition as well, they give the gangs and Cal more of unique design and really help the mission be more unique in it’s design.

Enjoyed having music being played during the 2 shootouts and as well, was pretty much in tone with Cal’s character and with the whole conflict as a whole and I respect it for those tracks being included in.

Much appreciated that you have different paths to take with tackling the enemies, and I respect that you reward the player for exploring the area by giving them a rifle and armour.

Cons:  (None)

Nitpicks: 

Reduce the amount of British slang you’re using, I mean it’s great you know the slang here but normal people don’t say different slang with each sentence. Also maybe reduce the amount of british pronounced words later during the mission, we already get that they’re of UK descent.

You can easily get cheap deaths by the shotgun dude located at the wrecked buildings. To add insult to injury if he shoots at the car you take cover at he ends moving it and your deagle will be out of range for you to be able to hit him with.

Notes:
Very little room for error, especially with blowing up the boats and taking out the Clovers, though this does come with the added benefit of immense satisfaction after beating those parts of the mission when previously struggling with it, much like completing a later scene in Stuntman would.

Conclusion:
Hard as balls mission. It is essential you play it tactically as rushing to kill the enemies will only serve to kill you instead. Though, if you do struggle with the mission but do figure out how to complete the mission, it’s very satisfying to complete and even satisfying grabbing a spawned pickup and health and armour. Apart from that, it’s got a great opening, humorous dialogue, non-american characters with the correct slang, and tons of custom stuff.

Would recommend only as a veteran player though, or as a casual player who is very persistent.