4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

The Last DYOM Project

Satourn

veJ1Uia.jpg

Made by Santal; translated by me

"A mysterious city wanderer, covered in wrinkles, his hair gray, who recently turned 40, is trying to fulfill his old dream - make a DYOM project that will change the world. Alas, time has not been kind to the old traveler, as his best years are already past him.

So he makes a desperate decision - make his last DYOM project, putting an end to his ungrateful career. That will require a comprehensive look inside his own self and a complete sacrifice in the name of art."

Download

Edited by Satourn
  • Like 5

Platinum Card

I'm currently on part 5 of the project, but it's too silent. Anything I should check to make sure the SD files are working? Everything is within the user files folder...

15 minutes ago, Platinum Card said:

I'm currently on part 5 of the project, but it's too silent. Anything I should check to make sure the SD files are working? Everything is within the user files folder...

I believe the soundtrack is meant to be quiet, but not too silent. I didn't have such problems during my playthrough, so perhaps something is off with your system volume?

• Like 1

Platinum Card
3 minutes ago, Satourn said:

I believe the soundtrack is meant to be quiet, but not too silent. I didn't have such problems during my playthrough, so perhaps something is off with your system volume?

That makes sense. I thought I was missing something. All is well then lol.

Hi there. I played this project and I'd like to give an in-depth review about it.

Here it is.

SPOILER ALERT!

Spoiler

Playing through this project was a weird ride. I'd describe this project as surreal, abstract, experimental, avant-garde and, above all, unique.

First of all, there's no gameplay in this project. Just cutscenes of numerous characters speaking to each other. The cutscenes were extremely well-crafted. I liked the linear/smooth transitions, the camera angles and the pacing. The sound design was okay. Not bad but there's nothing noteworthy about the audio on this project. Still, the soundtrack added a bit of atmosphere to the project, so there's that.

Dialogue was well-written but certainly weird and unexpected. When I downloaded this to play, I didn't expect to hear a man talking about his prostate cancer exam, or a conversation about roaches and bedbugs, or a man asking a prostitute to kiss his flaccid penis. It was bizarre for sure.

Now talking about the story, if there even is one. The protagonist, Martin, is working on his last DYOM project, except he isn't. Most of the time Martin is doing anything but create this last project. He's seen hanging out with friends, talking to some homeless people, jerking off inside a sex shop and soliciting prostitutes. Martin interacts with numerous characters we don't know nothing about. Martin himself is a mysterious person. We get little to no information about his past or his experience with DYOM or his relationship with the many characters, of whom we know nothing about either. Very strange and surreal.

As I said before, this is an unique project. It may not be exciting or fun, but it's something different. There's this filmmaker called Harmony Korine who's made some weird experimental films like Gummo and Trash Humpers. This project is like those films: strange, surreal experiences that are anything but normal and conventional, yet are extremely unique and memorable. "The Last DYOM Project" is something unique. I wouldn't say it is a fun or exciting experience, but it's something new. In a community full of unoriginal ideas, it's nice to see different projects every once in a while. Good work Santal.

Edited by Stardust101
  • Like 3

Platinum Card

I'm going to leave some brief feedback without spoiling anything. Stardust's review is pretty good if you want more detail. I personally enjoyed the more, independent film aspect of this project. My initial thought was that it was "Art imitating life". Sometimes we as people spend more time discussing an idea or procrastinating instead of being more proactive and ambitious. The main character Martin, is troubled. It seems DYOM was his escape from such a troubled life. I've always enjoyed Santal's story telling and dramatic transitions and themes.

It's not your everyday dyom mission pack. It's art. Also, you can keep your hands free and possibly grab a bowl of popcorn and favorite beverage of choice. It's an interesting watch. Actually pretty entertaining. Enjoy.

• Like 2