3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Tommy Vercetti

Comrade Monke

Comrade Monke

Do you think he will be referenced directly, either by a character, a radio station or some other way? Especially since Ray Liotta passed away recently it would be great if they somehow honored him in the next game. Hell maybe even have him be playable in the GTA 6 equivalent of director mode?

AkshayKumar

Be a nice touch if we have Tommy's hawaiian shirt as a clothing option

JP0cYXG.png

wise_man

Definitely he'll be referenced in some subtle way. GTA IV has the Claude outfit. GTA V has that bikers from Grove Street during mission "Hood Safari". Maybe we can visit and buy the Scarface-inspired Vercetti Estate this time, it'll be cool.

• Like 4

Comrade Monke
38 minutes ago, wise_man said:

Definitely he'll be referenced in some subtle way. GTA IV has the Claude outfit. GTA V has that bikers from Grove Street during mission "Hood Safari". Maybe we can visit and buy the Scarface-inspired Vercetti Estate this time, it'll be cool.

Another cool idea would be if they go some steps further and make 'keep your friends close' the playable prologue. They don't have to have Tommy interact with any HD Universe characters either therefore they won't break universe barrier.

I'm still hopeful that Ray Liotta recorded a few lines in secret before he left. That would be awesome, Tommy is my favorite character in the entire franchise and it would be a great tribute

• Like 3

rjmthe2nd

If the game is in Florida they should name a city, stadium or something in game after him, I already have the idea of naming a fictional counterpart of Fort Lauderdale = Fort Liotta 

• Like 2

Comrade Monke
4 minutes ago, rjmthe2nd said:

If the game is in Florida they should name a city, stadium or something in game after him, I already have the idea of naming a fictional counterpart of Fort Lauderdale = Fort Liotta 

Fort Vercetti maybe 

What if they add Ray Liotta and Tommy Vercetti as playable in a director's mode or a cheat code to change the skin into Ray Liotta or Vercetti?

rjmthe2nd
10 minutes ago, Comrade Monke said:

Fort Vercetti maybe 

What if they add Ray Liotta and Tommy Vercetti as playable in a director's mode or a cheat code to change the skin into Ray Liotta or Vercetti?

Fort Liotta because didn't they name a mountain after one of the voice actors that died in RDR2? They used his real name.

Plus Fort "L"auderdale and Fort "L"iotta makes more sense.

And yeah, that sounds like a good idea for director mode.

Edited by rjmthe2nd
  • Like 2

Thomas Cavendish

I'm afraid R* has no love for Tommy at all. Not as much as we have.

Almost no reference through the years. They won't start it now either.

• Like 1

Americana

Huh, sh*t. I've never thought they'd ever let him out.

• Like 3
  • KEKW 2

Comrade Monke
Just now, Americana said:

Huh, sh*t. I've never thought they'd ever let him out.

He kept his head down helps people forget...

5 minutes ago, Thomas Cavendish said:

I'm afraid R* has no love for Tommy at all. Not as much as we have.

Almost no reference through the years. They won't start it now either.

They referenced him in San Andreas and 4 but other than that you are right. I am thinking tho that since it's probably gonna be in vice city and Ray recently passed away they might honor him somehow. I hope so at least.

I want the entire story of Vice City to be established as part of the new Vice's history. So they'd have their own version of Tommy who did basically what the original did. Make the setting feel more layered and lived in, with decades of baggage that you can piece together just from going somewhere and looking at a building.

In truth, I never liked them ignoring the 3D era characters from GTAIV onwards, and would like them to really introduce more into the series, either as establishing them as old criminals who've long since died or been arrested, or putting a new spin on the characters.

I'd also like some kind of monument in game to Ray Liotta himself, I think that would be very sweet. Not just an incredible actor, but probably tied with Niko for the best performance as a protagonist. He really brought that character to life and made us love him. So I think it would be nice to pay their respects to the actor who made that happen.

NightmanCometh96
13 minutes ago, Typhus said:

I'd also like some kind of monument in game to Ray Liotta himself, I think that would be very sweet. Not just an incredible actor, but probably tied with Niko for the best performance as a protagonist. He really brought that character to life and made us love him. So I think it would be nice to pay their respects to the actor who made that happen.

It wouldn't be the first time this happened. John O'Creagh, Uncle's original voice actor in RDR2, passed away during production (IIRC, you can still hear his performance when Uncle sings in the final game); O'Creagh's Run was named after him as a tribute.

Edited by NightmanCometh96
  • Like 2

Comrade Monke
19 minutes ago, Typhus said:

I want the entire story of Vice City to be established as part of the new Vice's history. So they'd have their own version of Tommy who did basically what the original did. Make the setting feel more layered and lived in, with decades of baggage that you can piece together just from going somewhere and looking at a building.

In truth, I never liked them ignoring the 3D era characters from GTAIV onwards, and would like them to really introduce more into the series, either as establishing them as old criminals who've long since died or been arrested, or putting a new spin on the characters.

The monument thing is exactly what I was thinking!

Also they don't need their own version either just straight up connect it to the original. 

21 minutes ago, Typhus said:

Yeah the whole universes thing in general is a huge "f*ck you" to the originals. 

Guess Who Plays GTA

Definitely need to honor Ray Liotta in some capacity. Maybe give us Tommy's outfit as an unlockable wardrobe option as well. I love sh*t like that

• Like 2

universetwisters

I hope not. Why be so lazy and reliant on old crap when you got people itching for new stuff?

• WTF?! 1
  • KekCringe 1

4 hours ago, universetwisters said:

I hope not. Why be so lazy and reliant on old crap when you got people itching for new stuff?

There's just as much if not more people wanting to see the "old crap" again, just go look at the GTA 6 General Speculation and how many people want the protagonists to return for no reason. I personally don't understand this either, but, people like you and me are in the minority.

GTA Plus Enjoyer
4 hours ago, universetwisters said:

8 minutes ago, olzhas1one said:

There's just as much if not more people wanting to see the "old crap" again, just go look at the GTA 6 General Speculation and how many people want the protagonists to return for no reason. I personally don't understand this either, but, people like you and me are in the minority.

There's a difference between re-using stuff because you have no ideas, and adding a nice tribute to the game especially in memoriam of the iconic actor that voiced an iconic character.

To stay on-topic: I'd love it if they added some reference to him. I've seen some people suggesting that they should add a bridge called Liotta Bridge or something, similar to how they named places in RDR2 after the actors who passed away before/during the game's production. 

But, to make him a fully playable character in protagonist mode or something would maybe be too much for me. Adding clothes that resemble Tommy Vercetti's outfit would be enough for me imo.

• Like 2

There are some actors out there who can do a Ray Liotta impression. Rockstar could hire them to voice Tommy again.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Zello said:

There are some actors out there who can do a Ray Liotta impression. Rockstar could hire them to voice Tommy again.

man seeing Tommy again would be so cool

Maybe they could have some dialogue referencing him as some sort of urban legend. Like overhearing a pedestrian say “Remember when Vercetti ran the city? That was a wild era.” 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, A Munna said:

Maybe they could have some dialogue referencing him as some sort of urban legend. Like overhearing a pedestrian say “Remember when Vercetti ran the city? That was a wild era.” 

Maybe his story could serve as Inspiration to the new character 

A little easter egg or nod, sure, but recasting him and having him appear, absolutely not.

Not everything or everyone needs to be brought back and redone, Tommy's probably the best GTA protag they've done for me but his story is done, we don't need to R* go back and revisit it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jason said:

A little easter egg or nod, sure, but recasting him and having him appear, absolutely not.

Not everything or everyone needs to be brought back and redone, Tommy's probably the best GTA protag they've done for me but his story is done, we don't need to R* go back and revisit it.

I didn't say they should make him a main character. But a minor cameo wouldn't hurt (it doesn't need to be physical appearance, maybe he could give the protagonists phone missions, similar to how El Burro appeared in GTA 3 but not physically).

4 minutes ago, Comrade Monke said:

I didn't say they should make him a main character. But a minor cameo wouldn't hurt (it doesn't need to be physical appearance, maybe he could give the protagonists phone missions, similar to how El Burro appeared in GTA 3 but not physically).

That would be even worse IMO.

He's not a small throw away character, he's a legendary protagonist and character. If they're just gonna throw him in as some voice through a phone that is worse than having him as a fully fledged character.

He just doesn't need to return in any meaningful way beyond an easter egg, a reference to him in some newspaper, or his old shirt or something as a hidden secret, or something like that.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

That would be even worse IMO.

He's not a small throw away character, he's a legendary protagonist and character. If they're just gonna throw him in as some voice through a phone that is worse than having him as a fully fledged character.

He just doesn't need to return in any meaningful way beyond an easter egg, a reference to him in some newspaper, or his old shirt or something as a hidden secret, or something like that.

I just can't imagine that after revisiting a legendary video game location such as vice city, they are just gonna ignore the character most associated with it and treat it as a simple Easter egg. I feel that Tommy,even if he doesn't have a major role, should somehow still influence the world or story in a meaningful way. I think that an old Tommy Vercetti should make a cameo and give important advice to the protagonist.

The universes thing was the worst thing to happen in the GTA franchise, it's a huge disrespect and "f*ck you" to the originals.

4 minutes ago, Comrade Monke said:

I just can't imagine that after revisiting a legendary video game location such as vice city, they are just gonna ignore the character most associated with it and treat it as a simple Easter egg.

They never did it for Liberty City or Los Santos, so why now?

5 minutes ago, Comrade Monke said:

The universes thing was the worst thing to happen in the GTA franchise, it's a huge disrespect and "f*ck you" to the originals.

It was the best thing they did IMO.

Every new GTA being a clean slate is a good thing, they don't feel like another hashed out sequel, they all feel like brand new experiences with a whole new world and cast with only some loose connections. GTA's never needed to go back and revisit it's past characters and it shouldn't start now.

GTA VC and Tommy are a legendary video game and protagonist but revisiting them just for the sake of it or for some cheap fan service runs a high risk of tarnishing that.

Let them be.

There will probably some mention of a "legend" who took over the town back in the 80's, but I doubt they'll drop his name. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dick Justice said:

There will probably some mention of a "legend" who took over the town back in the 80's, but I doubt they'll drop his name. 

The cool thing is this would work for both Tommy and Vic, so it's like a double easter egg in one

• Like 1

JP0cYXG.png