2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Since the Houser Brothers and Leslie Benzies are gone, what can be really expected for the next GTA ?

TimMiller

TimMiller

I think a lot of people underestimate how impactful these 3 guys were for the GTA franchise. 

• Bruh 2
  • Realistic Steak! 1

DeltaV20

Sam Houser left? what 

GRINCH ASS BITCH

I think it's kind of the opposite actually; people might be overestimating their impact compared to people like Rupert Humphries and Michael Unsworth.

Of course we'll have to wait and see how VI turns out first but everything regarding GTA games is so subjective anyway that, well, who knows. Definitely going to be arguments about which games were better, pre or post Dan/Les/Lazlow's departure.

Thomas Cavendish

Humphries and Unsworth are genius.

• Like 1
  • YEE 1

itsallup

Any ps2 title can be trully declared the best and most classic era.

Spider-Vice
4 hours ago, DeltaV20 said:

Sam Houser left? what 

He did not.

image.pngut_dog.png   image.png

let your hopes and dreams turn into burning fire!

GTANet | Red Dead Network | kifflom 

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

Speeder752

If the rumours are true that the game was in development since 2014, it's safe to assume Dan Houser helped out on it considering he didn't leave til around 2019-20ish. 

• Like 1

wise_man

Rockstar still have Unsworth, Humphries, Rob Nelson the RDR II director. The only thing that can stop them is T2 or Sam Houser limiting their creative freedom.

Killerman29

we can expect this:

big-pile-of-shit-jurassic-park.gif

• KEKW 3

Americana

Things can only get better.

fftlate

Some kind of Watch Dogs 2. A nice game with a great story, but without that thing that makes it a GTA.

Edited by fftlate

shadyslady
13 hours ago, TimMiller said:

I think a lot of people underestimate how impactful these 3 guys were for the GTA franchise. 

Benzies I say the most. He was responsible for all the masterpieces, including gta 4, rdr 1.

If Rockstar got new writers and creative heads "Gta next" could be good. 

I guess technically it will be great, but storywise, I don't know. 

It feels like latest games rehashed a lot of old stuff and even the dr dre dlc with Lamar and Franklin. 

They literally tell and talk about the same jokes from almost 10 years ago

• Like 1

There's always great new talent coming up, so I've no fears over Dan or Leslie leaving in terms of the impact it'll have on the quality. RDR2 for me is the best game they've ever done and it was done w/o Leslie for example.

I know Sam is still there but I do wonder how their influence over how the game actually plays will change now. I think a lot of how GTA (and also RDR) plays is dictated by them (specifically the Houser's, possibly Sam especially), especially after reading stories about RDR2 where devs tried to tighten up the combat but were told to leave it alone by higher ups.

Maybe we'll finally see them bring their Max Payne 3 style shooting to GTA? That wouldn't be a bad thing if it happened.

• Like 1

DarkDayz

Sam is still there and was always the driving force. 

From what we know Leslie had little impact on RDR2 and look how good that game was.

Dan was just lead writer - and given some of what Roger has said about his lines - wasn't elite at it either. I've said this before on the forum but good leaders surround themselves with better people. So I'd bet that some of the best writing to come out of Rockstar in the past decade has not come from him but instead those he has surrounded himself with - all of which are still there and all of which have equal credit to him on recent games.

We also don't know the nature of his departure. If he was told to go because of cultural changes, I think we would have heard about it from the Jason articles, but to me it just seems like he has just retired. In which case there is absolutely no reason he can't act as a story consultant on future titles.

Edited by DarkDayz

GTA Plus Enjoyer

Rupert Humphries and Michael Unsworth reading comments about how GTA VI will have a sh*tty story because Dan Houser left:

46dbf3.png

Also them, knowing they are preparing another epic storyline thanks to the experience they've gotten through years of writing for previous Rockstar titles: :shillkek:

Just chill out. Dan Houser wasn't a god. There are lots of other games with excellent storylines, and afaik none of them were written by Dan Houser. Sure, it might've affected them a bit, but it doesn't mean the game will suddenly turn out to be sh*t.

Edited by GTA Plus Enjoyer

TheGeneralZarbin

Well after some trouble at the start they did manage to pull off Red Dead 2 without Benz. 

Sam is still there.

With Dan as others point out it remains to be seen if GTA 6 was actually his last project or if it was RDR2.

The games are in development for so many years nowadays he may well have contributed before he left. 

Losing Dan though I think will tell over time, his contribution to helping write all the classic GTA plots Vice city, sa ETC will be hard to replace.

That said I think there is enough talent at Rockstar that new people will be able to fill those shoes. 

And I imagine many of the writers working under Dan will be promoted. Will have helped them alot to have worked with the best. 

Donald Lov

f*ck knows. I'm more concerned about the inner workings of the company rather than its creative ability, to be honest. I mean, we just had an article coming out where it is clearly indicated that there is still a great deal of confusion and uncertainty going on inside the studio. And it's been more than two years since Dan left(de jure; more than three de facto).

Well, I think it'll be just fine if not a whole lot better without Leslie on board?

Some fresh ideas don't heart any long-running franchise I reckon.

Also for me I think the 'most' important person alongside Sam Houser at Rockstar for a long time now is Rob Nelson.

Let's not forget that GTAVI's script, etc. has been very likely wrapped up by the time Dan Houser left in early 2019.

A change in the tone and feel of the games, as well as in the work culture and how they're made. And, that's what's been reported, I'd say maybe attribute that to Dan's departure to xyz extent.

Someone has to make those decisions he was previously making, right?

Edited by nob
  • Like 1

GrandTheftAutoVI

woke trash

or at the very best woke 'best open world game ever' release

• Like 1

Short Dawg

The story of RDR 2 didn’t suffer without Leslie Benzies 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Guess Who Plays GTA

At worst: "I poke my head outta the gutter for one freakin' second and fate shovels sh*t in my face!"

At best: Satire written similarly to how It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is done. If it's less South Park, make sure it's at least Always Sunny

On 7/29/2022 at 4:10 PM, DarkDayz said:

Dan was just lead writer - and given some of what Roger has said about his lines - wasn't elite at it either. I've said this before on the forum but good leaders surround themselves with better people. So I'd bet that some of the best writing to come out of Rockstar in the past decade has not come from him but instead those he has surrounded himself with - all of which are still there and all of which have equal credit to him on recent games.

Which Roger were you referring to?

11 hours ago, TheMadTitan said:

Which Roger were you referring to?

Roger Clarke, actor for Arthur Morgan.

At a comicon panel, he was asked if any of his work in the game was improvised, or did he stick to the script.

He remembers in the studio often reading lines in a scene and laughing at them because they were so bad. He was told those specific lines were written by Dan Houser and that he should probably stick to the script. Which he ultimately did. It might just be a joke, but then again it might not.

Edit - Here at 32.00

Edited by DarkDayz
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 10:20 PM, Short Dawg said:

The story of RDR 2 didn’t suffer without Leslie Benzies 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

Story was not Benzies area at all, he was more in charge of the gameplay and the technical side

and the controls were the clunkiest aspect of RDR2... 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

6 minutes ago, GRANDHEIST said:

and the controls were the clunkiest aspect of RDR2... 🤷🏾‍♂️ 

...conveniently ignoring the rest of the gameplay, features and world then. Rockstar doesn't need Benzies for anything and never did.

No one is irreplaceable. New blood can very well be a lot better than any of the """veterans""" people seem to idolise for some godforsaken reason.

1 hour ago, DarkDayz said:

Roger Clarke, actor for Arthur Morgan.

At a comicon panel, he was asked if any of his work in the game was improvised, or did he stick to the script.

He remembers in the studio often reading lines in a scene and laughing at them because they were so bad. He was told those specific lines were written by Dan Houser and that he should probably stick to the script. Which he ultimately did. It might just be a joke, but then again it might not.

Edit - Here at 32.00

Thank you for the reply. I thought it might be that Roger but I wasn't sure because I recall seeing him and the other RDR2 cast praising the script a lot, so I wouldn't have expected him to say that, I guessed it might be some other Roger at Rockstar.

Tbh, while I won't deny Dan Houser's influence in the company, I always thought the great writing that came to more define R* post-HD era probably came from Rupert Humphries and Michael Unsworth since they joined with GTA IV and the writing beforehand for the most part was fun but nothing spectacular.

Which is why I'm confused why people say their future stories might suffer without him when they've been getting better than ever, hell, perhaps the weaker parts of GTA V and even RDR2's narratives might've came from Dan himself. And with him gone now, the stories might be tighter and the serious more poignant moments hitting harder without the over-the-top goofy characters or satire undercutting them like is usual for GTA, even a serious entry like IV.

Edited by TheMadTitan

13 minutes ago, Spider-Vice said:

...conveniently ignoring the rest of the gameplay, features and world then. Rockstar doesn't need Benzies for anything and never did.

it's just funny that Benzies replacement Rob Nelson spesifically said this before release:

Throughout our interview Nelson repeatedly grabs the PS4 controller that’s sat on his confectionery-covered coffee table. “We’re obsessed with this being the way you interact with the world,” he explains, brandishing the game pad and clicking all the buttons, pulling the triggers, “so it needs to feel right...

surely the new people will be fine, but it's not like there is no legimate basis for concern. Why is it that the other companies are nowhere near R* level in (non-fantasy) open world games?

You just proved me right by posting that snippet from Rob Nelson, he himself is very conscious about the controls and the games "feeling" right, without Benzies. Lol. The way the RDR2 controls feel is subjective.

No, there is no legitimate basis for concern considering the things they've released post-Benzies and even post-Sarwar (GTAO improved a ton). Are you basing that off the fact you didn't like the way RDR2 felt in terms of controls? Really?

We can only tell when the game releases. People need to stop idolising big producers and writers for big companies as if they're irreplaceable demigods.

I love the story in GTA but the thing I like most about the games is having a huge map to explore and comfortable controls for driving, flying and shooting. As long as that doesn't change I'm happy.