Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
    1. Welcome to GTAForums!

    1. GTANet.com

    1. GTA Online

      1. The Criminal Enterprises
      2. Updates
      3. Find Lobbies & Players
      4. Guides & Strategies
      5. Vehicles
      6. Content Creator
      7. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Online

      1. Blood Money
      2. Frontier Pursuits
      3. Find Lobbies & Outlaws
      4. Help & Support
    3. Crews

    1. Grand Theft Auto Series

      1. Bugs*
      2. St. Andrews Cathedral
    2. GTA VI

    3. GTA V

      1. Guides & Strategies
      2. Help & Support
    4. GTA IV

      1. The Lost and Damned
      2. The Ballad of Gay Tony
      3. Guides & Strategies
      4. Help & Support
    5. GTA San Andreas

      1. Classic GTA SA
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    6. GTA Vice City

      1. Classic GTA VC
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    7. GTA III

      1. Classic GTA III
      2. Guides & Strategies
      3. Help & Support
    8. Portable Games

      1. GTA Chinatown Wars
      2. GTA Vice City Stories
      3. GTA Liberty City Stories
    9. Top-Down Games

      1. GTA Advance
      2. GTA 2
      3. GTA
    1. Red Dead Redemption 2

      1. PC
      2. Help & Support
    2. Red Dead Redemption

    1. GTA Mods

      1. GTA V
      2. GTA IV
      3. GTA III, VC & SA
      4. Tutorials
    2. Red Dead Mods

      1. Documentation
    3. Mod Showroom

      1. Scripts & Plugins
      2. Maps
      3. Total Conversions
      4. Vehicles
      5. Textures
      6. Characters
      7. Tools
      8. Other
      9. Workshop
    4. Featured Mods

      1. Design Your Own Mission
      2. OpenIV
      3. GTA: Underground
      4. GTA: Liberty City
      5. GTA: State of Liberty
    1. Rockstar Games

    2. Rockstar Collectors

    1. Off-Topic

      1. General Chat
      2. Gaming
      3. Technology
      4. Movies & TV
      5. Music
      6. Sports
      7. Vehicles
    2. Expression

      1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

    2. Support

    3. Suggestions

Excluding cities from previous games (VC, LS, LC, LV, SF) what city would you like a GTA game to take place in?


Thomas Cavendish
 Share

Brand New City?  

50 members have voted

  1. 1. Excluding cities from previous games (VC, LS, LC, LV, SF) what city would you like a GTA game to take place in?

    • Chicago
      21
    • Houston
      10
    • Detroit
      15
    • Seattle
      9
    • Boston
      10
    • Washington
      11
    • Philadelphia
      8
    • Honolulu
      4
    • Phoenix
      5
    • Mexico City
      8
    • Tokyo
      8
    • Paris
      2
    • London
      7
    • Bogota
      3
    • Moscow
      2
    • Rio de Janeiro
      9
    • Toronto
      4
    • Montreal
      1
    • Vancouver
      1
    • Dheli
      0
    • Shangai
      1
    • Seoul
      3
    • Madrid
      1
    • Barcelona
      1
    • São Paulo
      2
    • Berlim
      1
    • Rome
      0
    • Athens
      0
    • Dublin
      0
    • Stockholm
      1
    • Amsterdam
      3
    • Sydney
      2
    • Melbourne
      1
    • Cairo
      1
    • San Antonio
      2
    • San Diego
      8
    • Dallas
      5
    • Anchorage
      2
    • Vatican City
      4


Recommended Posts

Vahnstad
1 minute ago, Zello said:

Because thats where the series is set. You can't really set it anywhere else Rockstar has also said this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


You can easily set it anywhere else, it's just Rockstar that limits itself to the American continent, and IIRC the American continent still offers plenty of opportunities outside the USA. I agree that Europe and Asia probably won't work in a GTA-setting (or that easily). But it isn't like other game developers are exploring settings outside of America either.

I think Latin America for GTA itself has a lot of untapped potential, even if only part of the setting is latin america-inspired or inspired by areas in latin america while the other part is based in the United States.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Vahnstad said:

You can easily set it anywhere else, it's just Rockstar that limits itself to the American continent, and IIRC the American continent still offers plenty of opportunities outside the USA. 

I mean I'd love to see Canada as it's somewhat similar to the USA but there are a couple of differences. There ain't a lot of guns in Canada like there is in the US. You can't really poke fun of the Canadian government like you can the US government, and American stereotypes are different than Canadian ones.

7 minutes ago, Vahnstad said:

 But it isn't like other game developers are exploring settings outside of America either.

Watch Dogs Legion says hi

Edited by Zello
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Samurai_726
8 minutes ago, Vahnstad said:

There are a lot of interesting cities, but I feel a majority of cities are more suited in a multiple city setting, like there are a lot of Texan cities in the options, but I feel it would work better if Houston, Dallas, San Antonio were grouped together, as well as including some other cities or landmarks from neighboring areas (Albuquerque, Santa Fe), for example parts of New Mexico and parts of Louisiana including New Orleans, as well as other interesting features from Texas like El Paso or the coastal lines. Would if done right be an interesting city.
 

But a GTA solely based on the city of Houston would simply be 1. lacklustering or too niche and 2. also feel too American. Since you exclude a lot of other cities in other continents.

 

I feel GTA would benefit from expanding into South America or from a South American setting (i'm European myself, i feel Europe indeed doesn't fit a GTA, but Latin America probably fits GTA very well). Rio de Janeiro for exampleGTAuld be an interesting city, but other areas could be very interesting too.

I also feel Tokyo needs more love, but i'm not sure if GTA is the right franchise to do a open world gta-like game set in Tokyo, but based on Sleeping Dogs which was set in Hong Kong, i think Tokyo would definitely if done right be a nice setting for such a game, but it should perhaps be a different franchise (maybe some of the Yakuza games are already open world, but I'm not sure if they're as detailed). If Rockstar wants to do it, it probably would be better as some kind of spin-off, and Tokyo is also a setting I feel that benefits more from less countryside and more city detail (focus) and suburbs detail. It's a gigantic city, so it could still be massive.

I believe rockstar can make a great game in Tokyo or japan, sleeping dogs was a great game imo. If they would've made an online version and made dlcs it could've been something. I kinda want to get away from that American vibe for a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MuffinMcFluffin

I would've loved San Diego in GTA V and for a time I thought maybe they were including it, but no such luck. If they ever go that route though, it's likely it would include Mexico or something like that. Probably too RDR-like to get into GTA, though.

 

I'd love a DC/Baltimore/Philadelphia tri-city location.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2022 at 4:50 AM, Zello said:

 

Watch Dogs Legion says hi

It's almost the only example in the last 10 years. I only know of Sleeping Dogs and that one, yes. No Mainland Europe, no Latin America, no Japan (unless there are some Yakuza games i don't know about).

 

The real reason also isn't: "but the game is set in America"... we all know that the only reason, and that applies to basically every major game producer, are commercial reasons: money. 

 

 

On 8/1/2022 at 4:51 AM, Samurai_726 said:

I believe rockstar can make a great game in Tokyo or japan, sleeping dogs was a great game imo. If they would've made an online version and made dlcs it could've been something. I kinda want to get away from that American vibe for a bit.

 

I'm sure they can but they never will because who-ever from the US or Canada is going to buy a game set in Japan with characters they can't read. I would love it, but it will never happen especially in today's world.

 

Edited by Vahnstad
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Vahnstad said:

It's almost the only example in the last 10 years. I only know of Sleeping Dogs and that one, yes. No Mainland Europe, no Latin America, no Japan (unless there are some Yakuza games i don't know about).

 

The real reason also isn't: "but the game is set in America"... we all know that the only reason, and that applies to basically every major game producer, are commercial reasons: money. 

what other country has access to legal and illegal guns, notorious gangs that can easily fit into GTA, and a culture that can be easily parodied.

 

Dont think anybody wants to play a game where your only weapons are either your fists or knives, and either in a different language we don’t understand or jokes that only a certain group of people would get.

Edited by Zello
Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Orleans for me. I'm hoping that if the talk of them adding cities post-launch is true New Orleans is one of them due to the proximity to Miami - they've already got a name for it in St. Denis.

 

Just always had a thing for the city that I think originated in one of the old TH Underground games and other media since, it's got a really unique vibe and history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jason said:

New Orleans for me. I'm hoping that if the talk of them adding cities post-launch is true New Orleans is one of them due to the proximity to gta6.miami - they've already got a name for it in St. Denis.

 

Just always had a thing for the city that I think originated in one of the old TH Underground games and other media since, it's got a really unique vibe and history.


New Orleans is dangerous as f*ck. I refuse to go there IRL just because of how different it is down there and I’d be out of my element. Hell I feel safer in Chicago. But I think it would make a great setting for GTA. Plenty of project housing and hoods, bayous and marshes. Lotta culture there too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2022 at 10:39 PM, Zello said:

Because thats where the series is set. You can't really set it anywhere else Rockstar has also said this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I think that’s bullsh*t and I don’t agree with anyone that says it wouldn’t work. It’s a cop out excuse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, REVENGE777 said:


New Orleans is dangerous as f*ck. I refuse to go there IRL just because of how different it is down there and I’d be out of my element. Hell I feel safer in Chicago. But I think it would make a great setting for GTA. Plenty of project housing and hoods, bayous and marshes. Lotta culture there too.

This was the 90s

I imagine post Katrina it’s a nightmare :kekw:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zello said:

This was the 90s

I imagine post Katrina it’s a nightmare :kekw:

New Orleans during the cash money/no limit era would be dope as f*ck. Donks, gold teeth, jewelry, all the sh*t that I love.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

re: GTA set in other countries, I discussed this in the other topic but GTA is designed around being in America. Not just the satire, the humour, but also the gameplay.

 

The easiest example of this is guns, and this is why London for example simply won't work as a setting in a modern GTA game. The USA's guns per 100 citizens is something like 500, in the UK it's less than 5 - a number boosted by people like farmers and hunters, the vast majority of the general public actively avoid firearms, we literally do not want them. As we all know, guns are a major part of GTA, and Ammunation, one of the games primary sources of them, is heavily influenced by US culture, the ability to go to a gun store and buy a weapon with no questions asked. Then you have the combat, which there's A LOT of in GTA, tons of shoot outs not just in missions but also the ability to cause it with peds or the police. In a GTA London the vast majority (99%+) of peds would not carry a firearm, or a weapon full stop. The police also don't traditionally carry.

 

This is just one of many ways GTA is designed around US culture but in short the US and GTA are irreversibly intertwined, you cannot have one without the other. I think you could probably do a South American city as due to various things throughout history these countries have absored a lot of the elements of US culture that GTA likes to satirise through the USA's, uh, dealings with those countries over the decades, but I think such a city could only really work as a secondary location in a game my self.

 

London is a great setting for an open world crime game, it really genuinely is, as are plenty of other cities, but a GTA game simply does not adapt well to any of those cities and as a result you'd either produce a game that gives a wholly unauthentic take on it's setting (which isn't a good thing) or you'd get a game that plays very little to nothing like Grand Theft Auto.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

re: GTA set in other countries, I discussed this in the other topic but GTA is designed around being in America. Not just the satire, the humour, but also the gameplay.

 

The easiest example of this is guns, and this is why London for example simply won't work as a setting in a modern GTA game. The USA's guns per 100 citizens is something like 500, in the UK it's less than 5 - a number boosted by people like farmers and hunters, the vast majority of the general public actively avoid firearms, we literally do not want them. As we all know, guns are a major part of GTA, and Ammunation, one of the games primary sources of them, is heavily influenced by US culture, the ability to go to a gun store and buy a weapon with no questions asked. Then you have the combat, which there's A LOT of in GTA, tons of shoot outs not just in missions but also the ability to cause it with peds or the police. In a GTA London the vast majority (99%+) of peds would not carry a firearm, or a weapon full stop. The police also don't traditionally carry.

 

This is just one of many ways GTA is designed around US culture but in short the US and GTA are irreversibly intertwined, you cannot have one without the other. I think you could probably do a South American city as due to various things throughout history these countries have absored a lot of the elements of US culture that GTA likes to satirise through the USA's, uh, dealings with those countries over the decades, but I think such a city could only really work as a secondary location in a game my self.

 

London is a great setting for an open world crime game, it really genuinely is, as are plenty of other cities, but a GTA game simply does not adapt well to any of those cities and as a result you'd either produce a game that gives a wholly unauthentic take on it's setting (which isn't a good thing) or you'd get a game that plays very little to nothing like Grand Theft Auto.


the way gunshops work in V is wholly inaccurate to how it is in real life. The gun laws in California are strict, maybe not as bad as New York, but you can’t just go in and buy one the same day. In the south, the gun laws are EXTREMELY lax. So ammunation works in that setting. GTA IV had underground illegal arms dealers as opposed to having gun stores and I could see a similar system working if there was ever a London setting. Or just being able to call up a friend for guns like terry or little jacob. But if not London, I think Moscow would be a good pick for an outside of the US location. Lots of guns and gangs.
 

I’ve said this before but I think London would work better for a manhunt game, with the street gangs and the knife problem over there.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, REVENGE777 said:

the way gunshops work in V is wholly inaccurate to how it is in real life. The gun laws in California are strict, maybe not as bad as New York, but you can’t just go in and buy one the same day. In the south, the gun laws are EXTREMELY lax. So ammunation works in that setting.

 

They take liberties with it sure, as that allows them to set the games in the locations they want which is traditionally the most iconic of US cities (to non-US citizens, at least), but it's all still inspired and influenced by US culture, or at the least, the version of America that was sitting in a few British peoples brains.

 

It's more than Ammunation though. Like remember Niko and Roman in IV? They came to the US for the ol' "American dream". There's no British dream, our country doesn't have that, Brits are very cynical and pessimistic. How we view politics and politicians is widely different too. In the US it's easy to satirise politics because of the way they're held up by the public, where as in the UK satirising the government is, well, satire is a massive part of UK humour and has been for a long time so satirising a country known for it's satire doesn't really work lol.

 

Look at for example when a new president gets elected and there's that massive inauguration with loads of flag waving and patriotism. In the UK we put the PM's face on a dartboard or at the top of a bonfire. This sounds like a completely random tangent but it's stuff like this that has created the view of the USA that the rest of the world - and the Brits who made GTA - have of the country, which is what inspired the world of GTA, which is what influenced the gameplay design of GTA.

 

Take the USA away from GTA and what you'll be left with is not GTA. It'd be a fantastic new IP, but it won't be a GTA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Orleans is definitely something I would like, I think it would make for an interesting setting. Being situated in the Deep South the urban-rural contrast could be pretty sharp if they also add Louisiana countryside to the mix.

 

As for Boston, I am not sure. I have always wanted a New England setting but is there any serious crime going on there? I guess you could make an Irish Mob story set in Boston. I don't know whether that's still a thing.
On this note, Seattle and in general the PNW sounds interesting as well, but once again, is there anything criminal going on there?

 

I would also dig a Mexican border situation. El Paso, Ciudad Juárez and their surroundings maybe? As much as I want Tijuana and San Diego I don't think it can happen.

K2yjoYK.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GhettoJesus said:

On this note, Seattle and in general the PNW sounds interesting as well, but once again, is there anything criminal going on there?

 

 

It is just a game, NYC wasn't notorious for gun crime when GTA IV was released and it still worked.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Aquamaniac said:

 

It is just a game, NYC wasn't notorious for gun crime when GTA IV was released and it still worked.

I suppose I should have phrased that question better. Are there any notorious criminal organizations there?

K2yjoYK.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shyabang Shyabang
14 hours ago, Jason said:

New Orleans for me. I'm hoping that if the talk of them adding cities post-launch is true New Orleans is one of them due to the proximity to gta6.miami - they've already got a name for it in St. Denis.

 

Just always had a thing for the city that I think originated in one of the old TH Underground games and other media since, it's got a really unique vibe and history.

Imagine the French Quarter. A lot of the buildings from St. Denis in RDR2 would be in the next GTA. I'd like to see old traces and records of Arthur Morgan, including the old photos from one of the RDR2 missions. And imagine Mardis Gras and spring break.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With places like Boston and the like, I'm sure American's know all about those cities but they also have to resonate with people outside the US. LA, NYC, gta6.miami, Vegas, San Fran, they're all iconic US cities that have heavily featured in media for decades, and that media has historically been a massive influence on GTA/R*.

 

It's why, I think, places like Boston, Seattle and more would struggle to be a truly great GTA setting, a lot of people outside the US know very little about those cities, where as the ones I mentioned above are instantly recognisable even to people who've never set foot inside the US.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Algonquin Assassin

American

 

Boston

Detroit 

Philadelphia

Chicago

New Orleans

 

International

 

Sydney

London

Rio De Janeiro

Tokyo

Shanghai

 

Edited by Algonquin Assassin

GTA IV Signature V4 by Lettermaniac on DeviantArt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GhettoJesus said:

I suppose I should have phrased that question better. Are there any notorious criminal organizations there?

 

Does it matter? Real crime is nothing that should be glorified so there is no need to feature real crime organisations in a game that is played by 8 years old. GTA IV had for the most part Irish and Russian mafia, I don't think that Irish mafia is still a big deal in the US, but in TV and video games why not?

  • excuseme 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Tracker
1 hour ago, Aquamaniac said:

 

Does it matter? Real crime is nothing that should be glorified so there is no need to feature real crime organisations in a game that is played by 8 years old. GTA IV had for the most part Irish and Russian mafia, I don't think that Irish mafia is still a big deal in the US, but in TV and video games why not?

 

Thing is, the Irish mafia wasn't that big in GTA IV to begin with, outside of the McRearys we didn't see much of it in the game's world aside from a few associates to the family, I'd say they were kind of debilited by that point, meanwhile the Russians in IV showed a lot of power in LC, within both the Faustin/Rascalov and Petrovic factions, with plenty of influence, assets and members (Heck, heavily armed members), especially in Hove Beach, not to mention the big threat they were for Niko during the whole storyline. And that's how it is these days, the Irish mob, just like the Italian mob, has been decreasing since the 80's, meanwhile the Russian mafia has been on the rise pretty much since the 90's. 

 

I don't know how you see it, but I think that when it comes to cities, as much as landmarks, streets, ethnicities, etc, do, the gangs and crime organizations in general should be represented realistically in the cities they belong to, because after all, they form part of the culture of that place, for better or worse. 

Edited by The Tracker
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, GhettoJesus said:

I would also dig a Mexican border situation. El Paso, Ciudad Juárez and their surroundings maybe?

HELL YEAH

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GhettoJesus
10 hours ago, Aquamaniac said:

 

Does it matter? Real crime is nothing that should be glorified so there is no need to feature real crime organisations in a game that is played by 8 years old. GTA IV had for the most part Irish and Russian mafia, I don't think that Irish mafia is still a big deal in the US, but in TV and video games why not?

It kinda matters because so far the criminal organizations that we have seen were based on real organizations. Ballas and Grove Street being the Crips and Bloods (who are still big, hence their presence in GTA V), The families of GTA IV were based of the real life Five Families (which are still running and still have their commission). The Russian Mafia is also very much real. In real life they are centered around Brighton Beach, which is named Hove Beach in GTA IV.

  • Like 1

K2yjoYK.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aquamaniac
9 hours ago, The Tracker said:

I don't know how you see it, but I think that when it comes to cities, as much as landmarks, streets, ethnicities, etc, do, the gangs and crime organizations in general should be represented realistically in the cities they belong to, because after all, they form part of the culture of that place, for better or worse. 

 

For me it is just a game and I couldn't care less, I really have no interest in gang culture. Wasn't aware e.g. that the gangs in V are based on real gangs. I'd say bikers, local meth dealers, maybe some sort of milita and international crime organisations as the Russian mafia, Yakuza or Triads work in any place in a video game or movie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Aquamaniac said:

 

For me it is just a game and I couldn't care less, I really have no interest in gang culture. Wasn't aware e.g. that the gangs in V are based on real gangs. I'd say bikers, local meth dealers, maybe some sort of milita and international crime organisations as the Russian mafia, Yakuza or Triads work in any place in a video game or movie.

Walk around LA with this hat on

61v8-AMf2-K0-S-AC-UX679.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aquamaniac
9 hours ago, Zello said:

Walk around LA with this hat on

61v8-AMf2-K0-S-AC-UX679.jpg

 

I don't live in the US and don't know about these details. I guess for an international playerbase it is much less important as it might be for locals and GTA is far away from being realistic anyways. I'm happy with any location that is appealing in terms of landscape and general vipe. GTA should not limit itself to locations that are notorious for real crime, though I agree there are only a few countries except the US that would work (for an international audience).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • 2 Users Currently Viewing
    0 members, 0 Anonymous, 2 Guests

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using GTAForums.com, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.