2. Expression

1. Graphics / Visual Arts
      2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Would you rather GTA VI be non modern or modern?

yolobigman

Modern or non modern GTA?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather GTA VI be modern or non modern?

• Modern
    • Non modern

Spider-Vice
1 hour ago, Kris194 said:

Damn, even Rockstar may have a huge problem to pull this off :kekw:

RDR 6 :sadkek:

• KEKW 3

image.pngut_dog.png   image.png

let your hopes and dreams turn into burning fire!

GTANet | Red Dead Network | kifflom 

black lives matter | stop Asian hate | trans lives = human lives

11 hours ago, A Good Man said:

-snip-

Mike Tyson protagonist! :sadkek:

DexMacLeod
22 hours ago, universetwisters said:

I mean they never really went heavy with it until IV tho. Up until then when it was period pieces it was more like “lol look at this dumb sh*t from back then”

Yeah, but that was just them trying to look grown up and tell more "serious" stories. The comedic tone isn't really dependent on the time period. There's no reason they can't do a full on parody in modern day or a social satire in the past. I imagine they'll stick to a GTA IV/V style satire no matter what the setting.

universetwisters
4 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

Yeah, but that was just them trying to look grown up and tell more "serious" stories. The comedic tone isn't really dependent on the time period. There's no reason they can't do a full on parody in modern day or a social satire in the past. I imagine they'll stick to a GTA IV/V style satire no matter what the setting.

But how can the social commentary be comparable to IV or V when it’s set in the past? Like I completely understand that it’s making fun of what’s going on at the time the game is set, but when it’s in the past it’s one of those “lol there will never be anything better than payphones!!! Yugoslavia is gonna be one country forever and disco is never gonna die!!!” or something like that.

Modern social commentary is just another reminder of the world we’re living in is dumb that’s been repeated by comedians, podcast hosts, and anyone else with basic knowledge of what’s going on who thinks they have a sense of humor. Admittedly I’m probably a bit biased because this was the sense of humor for the past two gta games, but given that I really don’t wanna gamble on whether or not it’ll be good a third time 

• Like 1

modern, please.

i don't mind if the game is set over a period of decades or something like that and with each chapter we progress till we reach modern times.

but i don't want the game to be fully set in non-modern setting, i would prefer modern. also non-modern would restrict them on stuff they could implement or stuff that i would like to see/have but wouldn't work because of non-modern

Kris194

I'm not interested in another contemporary GTA. I would rather it be set between 1950s and 1999.

DexMacLeod
11 hours ago, universetwisters said:

But how can the social commentary be comparable to IV or V when it’s set in the past? Like I completely understand that it’s making fun of what’s going on at the time the game is set, but when it’s in the past it’s one of those “lol there will never be anything better than payphones!!! Yugoslavia is gonna be one country forever and disco is never gonna die!!!” or something like that.

Modern social commentary is just another reminder of the world we’re living in is dumb that’s been repeated by comedians, podcast hosts, and anyone else with basic knowledge of what’s going on who thinks they have a sense of humor. Admittedly I’m probably a bit biased because this was the sense of humor for the past two gta games, but given that I really don’t wanna gamble on whether or not it’ll be good a third time 

Yeah, the broader, more pop-culture type humor will be very specific to whatever time, but I don't see Rockstar ditching the satire and it's not really satire if you aren't saying something about the current state of the world.

So if they go to the 70's then the War on Drugs gets used as a way to point out how the government created an "Us vs Them" mentality between police and civilians. Pretty much any decade can be used to poke fun at the current economy/gas prices/gun control laws/civil rights violations. Or just how vain, petty, and self-involved people are. Or civil rights protests. Nothing happening now is all that new. We just consume it all in a way that allows us to consume more of it and it's harder to ignore as a result.

I think the game will be better off in the long run, having that actual social commentary and not just pop-culture parody jokes. An entire game where every joke is either "a lot of people used to like a thing that a lot of people don't like anymore!" and "a lot of people used to believe a thing we later learned wasn't true!" sounds uninspired as hell.

universetwisters
28 minutes ago, DexMacLeod said:

An entire game where every joke is either "a lot of people used to like a thing that a lot of people don't like anymore!" and "a lot of people used to believe a thing we later learned wasn't true!" sounds uninspired as hell.

Ideally GTA shouldn't be having jokes like these period, or rather be having them so constantly that stuff like this is an issue lol

The analogy you mentioned with the war on drugs in the 70s would be a much better way to do it though, like if Rockstar wants to soapbox they could at least be subtle about it with analogies like that. Yeah, it gets the same point across but it's a much more creative way to do it than something like you'd see on a late night talk show

• Like 2

Does it really matter if it's going to be modern or not? whenever the time period is you can bet they'll make one hell of a game out of it.

Edited by _MK_

teddylopper

An older setting would be my preference but not as old as a Mafia game’s setting because I don’t want to drive buckets. But old enough that they won’t be lampooning current events would be great. We have to live through what feels like satire everyday so it would just feel business as usual listening to asshole characters spout nonsense and might end up tiring. 

Edited by teddylopper

universetwisters
3 hours ago, teddylopper said:

not as old as a Mafia game’s setting because I don’t want to drive buckets.

You wouldn’t be driving buckets, just sh*tty old cars 

Copcaller

Modern day vice city 

Edited by Copcaller

VercettiGuy

Either "not modern" or "modern with less technology". V really let the sh*t hit the fan with hacking etc. getting in the way of the fun.

• Like 2

Superdays
11 hours ago, VercettiGuy said:

Either "not modern" or "modern with less technology". V really let the sh*t hit the fan with hacking etc. getting in the way of the fun.

There is very little hacking sequences in V 

VercettiGuy
18 hours ago, Superdays said:

There is very little hacking sequences in V 

Have you played GTA Online?

Superdays
4 hours ago, VercettiGuy said:

Have you played GTA Online?

yes although I mostly mess around like it was Gta 4s multiplayer and rarely do heists so Idk maybe there is too much hacking in online, but for V not so much

VercettiGuy
4 minutes ago, Superdays said:

yes although I mostly mess around like it was Gta 4s multiplayer and rarely do heists so Idk maybe there is too much hacking in online, but for V not so much

Trust me, heists were awful in terms of hacking. My buddy fighting off enemies for 10 minutes while I had to hack some bullsh*t server in Doomsday. It was dreadful. Also, Lester just screaming in your ear while you were at it.

Komosexual

We rarely ever get well-done period pieces anymore, which is a shame.

Vice City to me, only makes sense in the 1980s, but we are living in a relatively unique era wherein everything retro is modern again, so I don't doubt this will be as 1980s as possible without actually being set in the 1980s.

I expect it to work out, and hopefully it should give us the best of both the past and the present.

Edited by Komosexual

gucciflipflops

While I personally don't mind, I think the 1980s looks so modern 

On 7/22/2022 at 12:47 PM, Gettin up said:

Modern. They can always add stuff from the past.

And they also can add new stuff

I prefer modern because we already had a 80’s Vice City and it would be interesting to see how they’ll pull the city off in the current era.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 12:58 PM, blacklemon173 said:

Either modern or early 2000's. Sorry but this whole 80's Miami Vice type sh*t is so boring to me. It's so overdone. I want a whole new game with a whole new vibe and not a reskinned Vice City.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:01 PM, Zello said:

How? It's not. 

You're both kind of right.

It's not overdone in the GTA-type of game
But the 80s are overdone in entertainment industry nowadays (film, music, other type of games). 80 references in general are overdone.

• Like 1

Oh I’d love for it to be set between 1985-1995. 

I imagine it will be modern though and am ok with that. 

the main player base now wouldn’t understand or appreciate the game set in an earlier era in my opinion. 

The great thing about games is ANYTHING is possible. I think there they could definitely pull off writing a story set in the near future, but you can have certain chapters in multiple time periods. What they did with the 3 character switching in GTA V, they could make it so the 3 switches would be between 3 different time periods instead of characters.

I am ok with modern or not. What I want most is for something that feels new
while still having that magical GTA feel that no other game has. I want a
new location and not more LA, NYC, or VC.

Chicago could be a nice new location with winter and summers seasons.

Edited by jazzbone