God of War: Ragnarok

DODI3OG

Cluckin Bell CEO
3 minutes ago, Creed Bratton said:

It sounds to me like you haven't actually played the game. It's anything but average or generic.

Played the 2018 one

9 hours ago, The Artist said:

Played the 2018 one

The point stands. There's nothing generic about God of War. Not the story, nor the gameplay or the game design overall. It's a carefully crafted game from start to finish.

On 11/20/2022 at 10:33 AM, Creed Bratton said:

At some point you are bound to get bored of the game's mechanics. There's just too much of everything.

I love how freakin' wrong I was here. I'm already dying to replay the entire game again. But I'll wait for NG+. In the meantime, I'm gonna replay the first one.

I still have to defeat two post-game bosses, though.

Spoiler

King Hrolf Kraki and Gna

Edited by Creed Bratton

Cluckin Bell CEO
22 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

The point stands. There's nothing generic about God of War. Not the story, nor the gameplay or the game design overall. It's a carefully crafted game from start to finish.

Agree to disagree. Very overrated game.

Edited by The Artist

On 11/28/2022 at 5:37 AM, Creed Bratton said:

As for RDR2, it did make me sad, but far from making me want to cry. There's something inherently flawed about R* writing that makes their games incapable of eliciting a strong emotional response from me.

For me, it has to be the non-linear order of things and the lack of connection between most of them. Most modern, narrative-driven games nowdays have callbacks to missions/quests you've already tackled if the NPC was present in that mission. R*'s games doesn't do that. One mission the characters could be pissed at something, the next mission they're ecstatic after a heist. RDR2 does it a little better, but it's still very limited.

In GOW Ragnarok, Atreus and Freya have different dialogues on a particular quest or environment if you take either of them along. But, in R*'s games, these characters speak the same dialogue regardless, since R*'s writing is very strict to the script. There's no other optional dialogue most of the time since we have to follow the story with the given characters anyway.

23 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

I love how freakin' wrong I was here. I'm already dying to replay the entire game again. But I'll wait for NG+. In the meantime, I'm gonna replay the first one.

I still have to defeat two post-game bosses, though.

Reveal hidden contents

King Hrolf Kraki and Gna

I'm waiting on NG+ too. There are some plot threads I wanna see once more and I just want to bash more monsters using a different loadout.

• 2 weeks later...
Is this The Guy?

I know I am definitely in the minority when it comes to this game.  I can’t even finish it.  Stopped playing last week and have zero interest in ever picking it up again.

• 3 months later...

Any of you guys planning to replay this in NG+? I think I might hold off until I get a new TV. I just wanna see the game in a new light.

Adam Jensen
7 hours ago, DODI3OG said:

Any of you guys planning to replay this in NG+? I think I might hold off until I get a new TV. I just wanna see the game in a new light.

Definitely. I can't wait for the NG+ update.

I wonder how many new armors we could get. This is a pipe dream, but I'm hoping they'd give us Mjolnir for finishing NG+.

Edited by DODI3OG

I started the other one some time ago, it's fun and all but I personally so far not liking the idea of Kratos again being the protagonist, I felt like his story was finished with the other games with Greek Mythology. But I will have to continue it at some point to know the story.

I am guessing Kratos' son will become the protagonist for the future games? Got spoiled with a few youtube videos..

Edited by 44Orca

2dQaqi9.png purple-diamond-gem.gif

8 hours ago, 44Orca said:

I am guessing Kratos' son will become the protagonist for the future games?

I hope so. GOW Ragnarok was basically Kratos' redemption for what he did to his family in the past. So, there's basically no unfinished business by the end.

I won't post too much since you probably haven't played Ragnarok yet. Basically, GOW Ragnarok was Atreus' quest, through the eyes of his overprotective father.

Spoiler

They also let us control Atreust for around 25% to a third of the story with his own arsenal of Runic Attacks, weapons and armor. Kratos was pondering whether or not the final battle will be his last and we were also left to think such. But, I was hoping he will get to see Atreus become a fully-grown adult.

Edited by DODI3OG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Lovely jubbly.

• Like 2

Good stuff. I wonder if they'll treat us to a release date this year. I'd think so anyways, considering how long it's been now.

Their PC games usually come a few months after the announcment, so maybe Sep/Oct/Nov time I'd guess.

DODI3OG

Here's hoping they give us the 2018 look for the Ares and Zeus armors. IMO, they look more true to the originals in GOW 2018, and also more greek. The Ragnarok versions look more Nordic.