2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

God of War: Ragnarok

DODI3OG

Sounds great, as expected really. There are a enough comments in reviews to suggest that it follows the first games formula quite close but the first game was great and it's been four years (or 5+ if you're waiting for PC like me) and this is all new stuff, all new enemies, better variety, etc, so I don't have any complaints about that my self w/o playing it.

Just hope the Sony PC releases start coming quicker they have in recent years.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Just hope the Sony PC releases start coming quicker they have in recent years.

Here's hoping, yeah. That Forspoken is set to release on PC same day, aswell.

Edit: Oh, it's a timed exclusive.

Edited by DEADWOODZ

13 minutes ago, DEADWOODZ said:

Here's hoping, yeah. That Forspoken is set to release on PC same day, aswell.

Edit: Oh, it's a timed exclusive.

Yea that's a third party game. All the Japenese devs/publishers are doing PC now cause it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money left on the table. Think it was Capcom the other day who said 50% of their revenue is PC or something.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Yea that's a third party game. All the Japenese devs/publishers are doing PC now cause it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much money left on the table. Think it was Capcom the other day who said 50% of their revenue is PC or something.

I really appreciate this kind of strategy. As much as I hate the 1% PC master race, most of my friends are on PC and there's way more PCs in the world, not including the ones in gaming cafes where I live (although most of those PCs can't play modern games).

It's cool knowing my friends play the same games as I do and we get to talk about it. It's been almost 10 years since I switched to console. It's been kind of lonely since I can't play with my local friends.

Is this The Guy?

I’m playing right now and the beginning of this game was just epic!

buuuuut….

Spoiler

This lost sanctuary quest with Atreus is f*cking ruining the high for me man lol. When the hell is this going to be over?

• KEKW 1

Creed Bratton

I'm playing it on a PS4 Pro. It's excellent. It feels like more of God of War with logical refinements. I enjoy the fact that it's so similar to the last one because it is a direct continuation of the story. It would have been jarring for this game to be vastly different from the first one, even graphically. I imagine that textures and maybe even lighting looks better on a PS5. But overall I'm impressed with what the PS4 Pro is able to handle with close to 60 fps in performance mode.

Edited by Creed Bratton

Best game I played, on par with The Last of Us Part 2. I've encountered a few bugs, but none of them were game-breaking and there were around 3 patches since release as of writing.

I really love the shields, I picked the Dauntless Shield, but the Stone Wall shield comes close since I swap them every now and then. IDK if there's NG+, but I still have a few side quests. I kinda regret not doing one before Ragnarok, namely:

Spoiler

Rescuing Birgir, since I thought I had enough XP points for the skills I thought I needed, I have one Manual Save left before we headed to Asgard, but I guess I missed out on a couple of skills for the Daupnir.

I was hyped before I played the game, but I was disappointed (f'n expectations) that

Spoiler

I didn't get to use Mjolnir.

I'd give the game a 10/10 for the RPG genre, on par with The Witcher 3, although GOW Ragnarok's quests are more enjoyable and less cringey. I hate sexualizing everything in video games, even though I'm horny 10 days of the week.

Will upload photos and videos soon.

7 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

I'm playing it on a PS4 Pro. It's excellent. It feels like more of God of War with logical refinements. I enjoy the fact that it's so similar to the last one because it is a direct continuation of the story. It would have been jarring for this game to be vastly different from the first one, even graphically. I imagine that textures and maybe even lighting looks better on a PS5. But overall I'm impressed with what the PS4 Pro is able to handle with close to 60 fps in performance mode.

How's the combat compared to the 2018 game

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

Creed Bratton
4 hours ago, The Artist said:

How's the combat compared to the 2018 game

It's the same combat system only improved. You can say the same about the entire game. Just additions to the existent formula. Actually, in many ways it's like the jump from God of War 1 to God of War 2 on the PS2.

Also, you get the blades of chaos at the start of the game this time around, and you need to use them against certain enemies. You also get to pick different types of shields that give you different abilities. Early on you get to make a choice of one of two shields. One that works best if you're good at timing your parries and one that is best used to absorb attacks, if you suck at perfectly timed parries like me. So in that regard, the combat does feel more varied from the start compared to the original. But I am still very early in the game. I don't have almost any moves and runics unlocked.

Edited by Creed Bratton
  • Like 2
  • Best Bru 1

So, right before the finale, I was about to max out all of my skills. I was missing one level each before the last ones. But, I said f*ck it and finished the story anyway.

At that point

Spoiler

Freya couldn't come along

so, the path was blocked in at least one of them.

I just used the Darkdale set for the entire game. I could have unlocked all pieces of the

Spoiler

Dragonscale armor

if I had taken the time to grind for it before the finale, along with the final skills, but I didn't want to have nothing to do by the end and I've been around 10 hours since my last main quest.

There are plenty of plot twists! I ended up having a couple of perfect guesses, yet the game was still mysterious enough. Any idea where we could vote for it to be GOTY?

Can't wait for New Game plus to drop, same for Photo Mode. If the latter was in the game since day one, it could have taken me a lot longer.

Edited by DODI3OG
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Corndawg93 said:

Finished the game, straight 10 imo

better than 2018?

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

3 hours ago, The Artist said:

better than 2018?

1000%, I wasn't hot on 2018 presonally, but this sh*ts on 2018 in everyway

7 minutes ago, Corndawg93 said:

1000%, I wasn't hot on 2018 presonally, but this sh*ts on 2018 in everyway

How long is the story compared to 2018?

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

8 hours ago, The Artist said:

How long is the story compared to 2018?

If I may. It's almost twice as long as 2018's. Let's say about 50% more story quests and cutscenes. MkIceandFire has about 18 hours of cutscenes, compared to about 8 hours of GOW 2018.

Kinda weird that I have around 52 hours on GOW 2018, which I haven't Platinumed and I'm still far from 100%, but I only have 31 hours on GOW Ragnarok that I platinumed last night. Although I touched NG+ on GOW 2018, last time I checked, I just finished my first quest for Freya, and that's just 1/3 of the story.

Photo Mode on GOW 2018 probably took a lot of time on my part.

As for the side content, there's certainly more on GOW Ragnarok. A few maps have two separate (non-continuous) areas and one of them is huuuuuge, almost the size of Midgard's on GOW 2018. There are 3 sandbox maps and all of them combined is larger than 2018's Midgard.

Is this The Guy?

Games alright. Definitely not better than the 2018 game.

• Like 1
  • excuseme 1

Creed Bratton
On 11/18/2022 at 3:09 AM, Is this The Guy? said:

Games alright. Definitely not better than the 2018 game.

So far, this has been true in my experience as well.

I'm at the point in the story when

Spoiler

Atreus arrives at Asgard.

It's undoubtedly a fantastic game. An enormous accomplishment. But it is far, far less focused than God of War 2018. It's a bit self-indulgent. I feel like the devs didn't want to cut any content and idea that they came up with. They just packed it all in without any restraints. There's easily two games worth of content here. Normally I'd say that this is fantastic, but it absolutely kills any replay value that this game might have had, and it just feels bloated. At some point you are bound to get bored of the game's mechanics. There's just too much of everything.

Edited by Creed Bratton
  • Like 1
  • Best Bru 1

3 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's undoubtedly a fantastic game. An enormous accomplishment. But it is far, far less focused than God of War 2018. It's a bit self-indulgent. I feel like the devs didn't want to cut any content and idea that they came up with. They just packed it all in without any restraints. There's easily two games worth of content here. Normally I'd say that this is fantastic, but it absolutely kills any replay value that this game might have had, and it just feels bloated. At some point you are bound to get bored of the game's mechanics. There's just too much of everything.

I know where you guys are coming from.

Personally, I think the 3rd act of the game was rushed as well. Part 1 was substantially long, but I gotta admit the Svartalfheim portion felt overwhelming in some parts, esp. the one in the 1st act.

Finally, I get your part on the replay value. Once I 100% the game, I immidiately got the urge to start a new game. But, I prefer playing on NG+, as well as the fact that the game starts feeling very tedious. So, carrying over my upgrades would be very handy.

Also, the fact that the map is basically void of any encounters after all the favors are done reduces the replay value of the game.

I really didn't wanna rush into Ragnarok. Sure, it's imminent and the danger of not acting on it is more impactful than the danger itself.

I remember Cory Balrog stating that they initially planned the Norse Saga to be a trilogy. It could have been better if this was GOW Fimbulwinter and Ragnarok was the total focus of the final game. But, it would drag out the story too much.

As for the landscapes, I kind of miss those secluded areas in Midgard, such as those three where dragons were perched, esp. near the Valkyrie area.

The PS4 has once again affected the map design. We still have elevator sequences and pillar-lifting transitions that load the map portion in the background. I'd also appreciate another dungeon-type, roguelite map where areas are almost randomly-generated portions of areas in the 9 realms with their own mobs.

Asgard - Einherjar

Alfheim - Dark and Light elves

Muspelheim - Draugr

Svartalfheim - Grim

Midgard - Reavers

Vanaheim - Seidr

Hel - Hel-walkers

Edited by DODI3OG

Creed Bratton
10 hours ago, DODI3OG said:

The PS4 has once again affected the map design. We still have elevator sequences and pillar-lifting transitions that load the map portion in the background.

Apparently, this isn't the only reason why these things are used in game design. I believe it was one of the GoW designers that said that they need to make sure that the player doesn't leave the intended combat zone, and that's why maps have things like narrow corridors.

4 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

Apparently, this isn't the only reason why these things are used in game design. I believe it was one of the GoW designers that said that they need to make sure that the player doesn't leave the intended combat zone, and that's why maps have things like narrow corridors.

Not tryna be harsh, but even though there's more verticality. There's barely any room to reposition, esp against einherjar. "leaving the combat zone" probably means they don't want these mobs to unload because by default, they're gonna be "unloaded" due to some memory constraint.

I really admire the level of detail in the game, though esp one built on a PS4.

Is this The Guy?
On 11/20/2022 at 2:33 AM, Creed Bratton said:

Reveal hidden contents

Funny because when I made that post I was maybe a half hour passed that part.

Right now I just passed the part with 

Spoiler

The draupnir spear. 

Beautiful game no doubt and it started on such a high but I am currently struggling to get through it.  
I was so much more engrossed with the story of the 2018 game but for this it seems like everyday I play Ragnarok I get more and more bored.  Im not sure where I am in the game as far as story completion goes but it feels like I’ve been playing forever.

The combat is cool and all but it’s so similar to the 2018 game that I could have just played that game again and not have really missed out on much.

Creed Bratton

I kinda take everything back after completing the game. I get it now. It needed to be as big as it is to accommodate all the banter between characters during their travels, which is an important aspect of character building with an enormous payoff by the end of the game.

First time ever that a game almost made me cry.

Edited by Creed Bratton

19 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

I kinda take everything back after completing the game. I get it now. It needed to be as big as it is to accommodate all the banter between characters during their travels, which is an important aspect of character building with an enormous payoff by the end of the game.

First time ever that a game almost made me cry.

So, you've never cried on a game before?

Creed Bratton
37 minutes ago, DODI3OG said:

So, you've never cried on a game before?

Never. But I got close this time.

And man, Blood Upon the Snow is such a fantastic track. Hozier and Bear McCreary knocked it out of the park with this one.

Edited by Creed Bratton

1 hour ago, Creed Bratton said:

Never. But I got close this time.

Not even in RDR 2? Or Telltale Walking Dead S1?

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

Creed Bratton
5 hours ago, The Artist said:

Not even in RDR 2? Or Telltale Walking Dead S1?

I've not played TWD.

As for RDR2, it did make me sad, but far from making me want to cry. There's something inherently flawed about R* writing that makes their games incapable of eliciting a strong emotional response from me.

To elaborate further, the tone of R* games and their stories is highly inconsistent. It's all over the place. One minute RDR2 is a serious character drama, the next it's a satire, and then just a regular comedy. Then you get to see a UFO, so it's also sci-fi. There is a way to combine most of those things without them feeling jarring and out of place, but R* just doesn't know how to do that, or they just don't care. But it makes it very difficult for me to immerse myself in their games as much as I have been immersed in God of War.

Edited by Creed Bratton

8 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

I've not played TWD.

Play it man it's one of the best stories of all time (Season One is). You can get the full collection on sale right now.

8 hours ago, Creed Bratton said:

As for RDR2, it did make me sad, but far from making me want to cry. There's something inherently flawed about R* writing that makes their games incapable of eliciting a strong emotional response from me.

To elaborate further, the tone of R* games and their stories is highly inconsistent. It's all over the place. One minute RDR2 is a serious character drama, the next it's a satire, and then just a regular comedy. Then you get to see a UFO, so it's also sci-fi. There is a way to combine most of those things without them feeling jarring and out of place, but R* just doesn't know how to do that, or they just don't care. But it makes it very difficult for me to immerse myself in their games as much as I have been immersed in God of War.

For me it's the opposite haha. I find Rockstar's writing much better than others usually and they make their characters unique and memorable compared to other games. Arthur breaking down in front of the nun was a more powerful scene than anything in God of War. The UFO is just a silly easter egg, it's not like they find it in the main story or something. I found God of War's story pretty average, it's the generic father-son journey stuff. RDR2's story was pretty unique.

• Like 1

Paradise  GIF                                                                                                                                                                             

Creed Bratton
1 hour ago, The Artist said:

Arthur breaking down in front of the nun was a more powerful scene than anything in God of War... I found God of War's story pretty average, it's the generic father-son journey stuff.

It sounds to me like you haven't actually played the game. It's anything but average or generic.