2. GFX Requests & Tutorials
      3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Forum Support

3. Suggestions

God of War: Ragnarok

DODI3OG

The sequel to 2018's God of War which was in itself a soft reboot of the God of War Franchise.

I wasn't a fan of the original, Greek-mythology trilogy. But, the 2018 reboot introduced me into the franchise. I'm still not that thrilled since they didn't give us a gameplay showcase this close to release. I get that it's still God of War in every aspect of gameplay, but I just wanna see how they improved the animations and gameplay mechanics since 2018.

As tempting as it is, I don't think I'm getting a game unless there's assurance that there'd be no missable collectibles for 100%. I missed a lot of stuff in GOW 2018 because of the linear gameplay. I just hope that this time, the devs would be more lenient on map exploration and backtracking. Also, no loading screens, please. If PS5 sandbox games could do it, why couldn't they implement it on hybrid/linear games?

2021 Reveal Trailer:

Release Date announcement Cinematic Trailer

Pre-order trailer from 15h of July, 2022.

Edited by DODI3OG
  • Like 2

Space Cowboy
28 minutes ago, DODI3OG said:

As tempting as it is, I don't think I'm getting a game unless there's assurance that there'd be no missable collectibles for 100%. I missed a lot of stuff in GOW 2018 because of the linear gameplay. I just hope that this time, the devs would be more lenient on map exploration and backtracking.

There is nothing missable in GOW (as far as psn trophies go), but you are right that the backtracking and the map exploration, once you left certain areas, is very annoying.

This is one of the aspects I hope they improve upon. I would also like more challenges like the last Valkyrie fight, which was probably the most fun I had in the game.

10 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

There is nothing missable in GOW (as far as psn trophies go), but you are right that the backtracking and the map exploration, once you left certain areas, is very annoying.

This is one of the aspects I hope they improve upon. I would also like more challenges like the last Valkyrie fight, which was probably the most fun I had in the game.

I might give the game another go for GMGOW+, too bad I somehow missed a few runic attacks. No matter how meticulous I am, there's always a spot or two I'd miss.

I just hope that difficulty progression won't be very teeth-grinding early on and cheesy late-game. I had to turn down the difficulty early on since without that much upgrades as well as my first time playing GOW and hack-and-slash games in general, I kept getting one-shotted by even wolves. However, by late-game, I basically cheesed through everything using OP runic combos, I basically spammed them on most fights. The enemies should get smarter as we advance through the game, just like the valkyries got different attack and defense combos.

Also, I hope there's no more of that pre-order bonus BS. I appreciate that eager fans are appropriately incentivized to pre-order with bonus skins, but I hope if that's the case, the bonus skins shouldn't be as special compared to what would be in-game rewards.

Edited by DODI3OG

I've heard from other blogs and forums that Kratos is probably gonna kill Thor earlier and we'll get to play with Mjolnir as another elemental weapon. So, on Ragnarok, we'll have Fire, Ice, and Lightning damage and runic attacks. This is probably the new toy they're keeping from us.

Grichka Bogdanoff

Nice collector's... please don't be exclusive to the US please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please 

also wew, Opie looks like he aged 30 years lol

10 minutes ago, Grichka Bogdanoff said:

Nice collector's... please don't be exclusive to the US please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please 

also wew, Opie looks like he aged 30 years lol

CE looks nice! I had a miniature Marvel Mjolnir back in 2011 when Thor came out. XD

I wanna get one for myshelf (myself and my shelf), but is there a way to get the digital version by scanning the disc box? I'm not a fan of physical copies since I tend to conserve space. Also, scalpers in my country would probably sell them for almost double the price.

• 2 weeks later...

GOW: Ragnarok is now available for pre-order. I'm still on the fence whether I should get this or TLOU Part 1. I'm a huge TLOU aficionado, but $80 (I'm more of a digital collector) is too steep for a 13-15 hour game even if it is the 1st AAA, first-party title rebuilt solely for the PS5.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had intentionally avoided a lot of footage for this as I won't be playing it until it comes to PC but I did catch that new trailer during the State of Play and it does look... veeeeeeeeery good.

Hope the PC release is not too far out for that one.

God knows how long the PC version will be out for. Still waiting for that GoT port aswell.

Might just have to fish out me old ps4 pro for this though & hook me other monitor up.

Edited by DEADWOODZ

9 hours ago, Jason said:

Had intentionally avoided a lot of footage for this as I won't be playing it until it comes to PC but I did catch that new trailer during the State of Play and it does look... veeeeeeeeery good.

Hope the PC release is not too far out for that one.

That fight between Kratos and Thor looks badass, though. Knowing GOW 2018, he's probably gonna die in the beginning. I just want that lightning hammer.

3 minutes ago, DEADWOODZ said:

God knows how long the PC version will be out for. Still waiting for that GoT port aswell.

Probably after they develop a PS6 "remake". :adminkek:

I think 1-2 years after is a safe bet looking at other Sony projects nowadays, but we'll see.

HFW PC will be the telling one possibly, the nVidia leak had the PC version out around a year after the PS5 launch, if that does indeed end up being true (and the nVidia leak is spot on for projects being legit, dates are all TBC) then it could be a good indication for games like Ragnarok.

fingers and toes crossed anywho

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I think 1-2 years after is a safe bet looking at other Sony projects nowadays, but we'll see.

HFW PC will be the telling one possibly, the nVidia leak had the PC version out around a year after the PS5 launch, if that does indeed end up being true (and the nVidia leak is spot on for projects being legit, dates are all TBC) then it could be a good indication for games like Ragnarok.

fingers and toes crossed anywho

Can't wait for my PC friends to play PS games. I have a couple of friends who also love Horizon Zero Dawn and another one who loves God of War 2018. We talked about these games for hours on end.

Edited by DODI3OG

6 hours ago, BigBoyBertram said:

Looks good. Could be a buy if they improve upon 2018's enemy variety. 

They added several enemy types, but I'm not sure if they're restricted to their own worlds.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

General impressions seem to say that it's pretty much a deeper and more refined GoW 2018, which is not a bad thing. Sounding great from the impressions, the gore and brutalness of the combat is ramped up by the sound of it as well.

BigBoyBertram

Yeah, in general it definitely does seem like more of the same, but with key combat refinements. For me, better enemy variety is absolutely huge, as that was something I was critical of back with 2018. 

Still, I am sure it will be a great game. However, I wonder if the game will review as strongly as 2018 did. 2018 had the benefit of being a completely new formula, a reboot of an old classic that placed more of an emphasis on narrative and dialogue. I think it was a big part of that game's reception, the freshness of it all. 

I am already seeing some people call this game God War 1.5, which I think sounds pretty unfair. 

Edited by BigBoyBertram

If I had to predict, based on the previews, I'd say it'll probably review about the same in terms of scores. But the previews are only the first 5 hours, it could get wilder in the latter half.

I do remember a big reason why reviewers and journalists in particular got so enamored with the first game was the father and son story which resonated a lot with a lot of the reviewers as many of them are/were parents of young children nowadays, hitting the same notes might not be so simple.

...but who am I kidding, really, it's gonna be a great single player story game with great gameplay releasing in a barren year for games, that'll run well w/o technical issues, has multiple perf modes and accessability options. It's got 95/100 on OpenCritic written all over it... maybe higher.

• Like 1

There has to be some big twist, like Atreus becoming playable character in the middle of the game.

It just can't be GoW 2018 1.5:modkek:

It's nice to see games getting more accessibility features. Now, pls release PC port next year, Sony, ta!

6 hours ago, Rajder said:

There has to be some big twist, like Atreus becoming playable character in the middle of the game.

It just can't be GoW 2018 1.5:modkek:

I'm guessing Atreus will instead be the one to use Thor's hammer. I can't imagine assigning another directional button for Kratos using the Mjolnir.

It'd be an upgrade from Atreus' melee attacks and stuns (which is my primary build for him).

Here's hoping the accessibility settings are on par with TLOU.

I'm planning to Platinum GOW 2018 before Ragnarok releases.

Edited by DODI3OG
  • Like 1

MaddenedGhost

Someone out there is posting spoilers for this on Twitter, anyone looking forward to experience this should be cautious.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MaddenedGhost said:

Someone out there is posting spoilers for this on Twitter, anyone looking forward to experience this should be cautious.

Too late. I'm already spoiled on a particular fight scene. Luckily, it's minor.

Also, if you've been surfing youtube for GOW Ragnarok videos lately, at least delete your history, log out your account and stay out of youtube until you finish the game if you don't wanna get spoiled.

MaddenedGhost
Just now, DODI3OG said:

Too late. I'm already spoiled on a particular fight scene. Luckily, it's minor.

Also, if you've been surfing youtube for GOW Ragnarok videos lately, at least delete your history, log out your account and stay out of youtube until you finish the game if you don't wanna get spoiled.

I haven't but I will keep an eye out, I am actually going through the first game right now.

I got the first game spoiled years ago and knew about the ending and everything so I never bothered playing the whole thing despite owning the game for several years, since this one is coming out I decided to load up my save and push through the story.

I hope I can finish it before the next one comes out.

• 2 weeks later...