3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

2. Support

3. Suggestions

Playing GTA 2

Anywhere USA

Anywhere USA

Hoot hoot, we're doing this sh*t! After meeting His Majesty Cartwright's insane deadlines, murdering the president for a Jamaican,  and getting familar with El Burro, we're done GTA 1.

So It's time for me to start GTA 2. Buckle Up Buckaroos!

Anywhere USA

Every car feels...odd....kinda sluggish, kinda floaty.

Some things about GTA 2  will definitely be an improvement, especially after London 1961. A health bar, more armour, auto-aim, the ability to kit out your car with different weapons and the ability to save the game between missions, for example. You're also back to driving on the right.

A few things about GTA 2:

• I wouldn't set the resolution to any higher than 1024x768. I've noticed that the frame rate drops and the game slows down if it's any higher (on a modern PC so it's not that my hardware couldn't handle it). It's supposed to run at 30fps but at higher resolutions I was getting 25fps.
  • Do the tutorial first (answer the phone at the church and then wait until you're told to leave). You get a GTA 2 token at the end of it. It'll also let you know how the game works.
  • There are nine bonus levels. In each area of Anywhere City, you unlock one by finishing the area (getting enough money to exit it), one by finishing all missions in the area and one by collecting all of the tokens in the area.
  • You need to collect all the tokens to unlock the good ending (it's still not much, but at least it's better than the bad ending).
  • You don't have to beat any kill frenzies to unlock bonus areas or the good ending.
  • A one-star wanted level will disappear by hiding for long enough without the police seeing you (the head at the top of the screen goes up and down when they can see you).
  • You save in the church you start at, by entering it under the JESUS SAVES sign. It costs $50,000. You generally have to do the first two missions of each area without saving, but after that you should have enough money to save after every mission.
  • There's an information phone for each gang. It tells you which gangs they hate (who you have to kill to fill up the respect meter for that gang).
  • To access the yellow and red phones, you have to get your respect with that gang up until the bar under the gang's respect meter lights up in the respective colour.
  • Unless you want to use the Wang Cars glitch in the Residential area, which can make it easier to finish some rampages, I would apply the patch below, which will bring its version up from 9.6 to 10.3. It improves compatibility with Windows 2000, which is extremely similar to Windows XP, so it also improves compatibility with Windows XP. It also apparently has a few other fixes.
  • If you want to run the game windowed, you have to set your desktop to 16-bit colour in Display settings.

GTA 2 official patch:

https://soggi.org/misc/game-patches.htm

GTA 2 official map editor (to create your own maps, if you're interested):

https://gtamp.com/gta2/tools/

Edited by jm-9

Anywhere USA

Last night I beat all the easy tier phone missions in area one, never busted, but wasted once. Got 500k points/dollarydoos, spent 50k to save. Gonna try to do the yellow ones now.

What do you think of the gameplay so far in comparison to GTA 1?

Anywhere USA
Posted (edited)

Fine.

Collected all 50 tokens, got most of the Yellow Missions done, have enough points to pass. I'm almost out of lives though, so I need to do some Kill Frenzies before moving on to the final set of missions for area 1.

So...what's the deal with the infamous Kill Frenzies in this game? I got through GTA 3's BS sniper and Shotgun rampages, and GTA 61's absurd point counts. Do they respawn? Does saving the game save your progress with them?

Edited by Anywhere USA

Yes, even if you fail them. They don’t respawn. The worst ones are in the Residential area and maybe the Industrial area.

Edited by jm-9

Anywhere USA

Is there anything else to do in each area besides what’s on the pause menu? Any car collecting or other secrets or hidden side machines or anything?

Only in the Residential area. There’s a side mission where you have to collect certain parked cars for Wang Cars. After you finish all the cars will be available at Wang Cars, but they disappear if you save and then load the game, so it’s best to copy your save file before you get the last car.

Your save from the previous area is also overwritten when you save in a new area, so you should also copy your save file after you finish the first two areas so you can play them with weapons and money.

Edited by jm-9

Anywhere USA
2 minutes ago, jm-9 said:

Only in the Residential area. There’s a side mission where you have to collect certain parked cars for Wang Cars. After you finish all the cars will be available at Wang Cars, but they disappear if you save and then load the game, so it’s best to copy your save file just before you get the last car.

Your save from the previous area is also overwritten when you save in a new area, so it’s also best copy your save file after you finish each area so you can play that area with weapons and money.

I’ve got the patch if that fixes that.

Other people seem to indicate the majority of the ‘basically impossible’ Kill Frenzies are in the Residential Area; with a few in the Industrial Area. The first area’s are all doable, if a bit hard.

I suspect the problem is that GTA 1 and GTA 2’s were both kinda half assed and not tested well, but GTA1 just used a point total so you could easily get an absurdly high multiplier(ok easier said then done) or stack a bunch of cars up to get combo points….or both. (Many in GTA 1 and London 61 were impossible without some combination of the above) GTA 2 was the first to use the modern system of specific goals so that safety net is gone and they cocked it up.

Just to re-ask, I recall hearing somewhere all the Kill Frenzies reset if you save send reloaded? Is that true? Otherwise I was planning on doing them 1 or 2 at a time and then saving to attempt the next ones. I have plenty of money to save scum.

20 minutes ago, Anywhere USA said:

I’ve got the patch if that fixes that.

Other people seem to indicate the majority of the ‘basically impossible’ Kill Frenzies are in the Residential Area; with a few in the Industrial Area. The first area’s are all doable, if a bit hard.

I suspect the problem is that GTA 1 and GTA 2’s were both kinda half assed and not tested well, but GTA1 just used a point total so you could easily get an absurdly high multiplier(ok easier said then done) or stack a bunch of cars up to get combo points….or both. (Many in GTA 1 and London 61 were impossible without some combination of the above) GTA 2 was the first to use the modern system of specific goals so that safety net is gone and they cocked it up.

Just to re-ask, I recall hearing somewhere all the Kill Frenzies reset if you save send reloaded? Is that true? Otherwise I was planning on doing them 1 or 2 at a time and then saving to attempt the next ones. I have plenty of money to save scum.

I’m not sure what the Wang Cars glitch is, only that it is almost necessary to pass some Residential kill frenzies. The cars disappearing after loading a save with the side mission complete is normal unfortunately.

The kill frenzies definitely weren’t tested properly, completely agree with that. They’re much easier in the PS1 version, since they reduced the requirements because it couldn’t have as many sprites onscreen at once.

I don’t know if the kill frenzies reset when you save then load. I beat all the Downtown ones but saved after each one. I would imagine I would have copied my save file and checked this out first, but that was back in 2015 so I’m not 100% sure.

Anywhere USA
58 minutes ago, jm-9 said:

I’m not sure what the Wang Cars glitch is, only that it is almost necessary to pass some Residential kill frenzies. The cars disappearing after loading a save with the side mission complete is normal unfortunately.

The kill frenzies definitely weren’t tested properly, completely agree with that. They’re much easier in the PS1 version, since they reduced the requirements because it couldn’t have as many sprites onscreen at once.

I don’t know if the kill frenzies reset when you save then load. I beat all the Downtown ones but saved after each one. I would imagine I would have copied my save file and checked this out first, but that was back in 2015 so I’m not 100% sure.

Beat all the yellow missions, along with the first 4 Kill Frenzies(most I felt comfortable doing in one go without saving, the tank made me nervous)

50 minutes ago, Anywhere USA said:

Beat all the yellow missions, along with the first 4 Kill Frenzies(most I felt comfortable doing in one go without saving, the tank made me nervous)

The problem I had was that it was hard to find enough people to kill. I found that some rampages in the PSP version of Vice City Stories had the same problem (though not the PS2 version). I only got through six of the kill frenzies in the Residential area before giving up on one of the really hard ones. They really improved the rampages in GTA III despite the fact that you now have to kill gang members rather than being able to kill anyone.

One of the unique things that I really like about GTA 2 are the various powerups like invisibility and invulnerability. If you can find them nearby they can really help with some of the harder missions.

Without spoiling anything, make sure to save before you do the last red phone mission.

Edited by jm-9

Anywhere USA

Which? Just finished all Yakuza Missions(had to make a run, 7El just got Crystal Pepsi in) and am doing the final Zaibatsu ones in area 1.

7/20 Kill Frenzies done so far

Posted (edited)

Doesn’t matter which one, just whichever red phone you do last. You don’t really need to if you’ve saved only a short time before.

Edited by jm-9

Anywhere USA

Slightly off topic, but I found two interesting things while sweeping the old GTA 3 site for Zaibatsu info.

1. George W Bush is the president in the 3D Universe at the time. No fictional presidents here.

2. The timeline of several games is somewhat narrowed down(The last update on the LCS website, for instance, implies the game starts not too long after May 22nd 1998, as Ma Cipriani says her son is coming back soon from 'vacation', and considering it's a Friday and the Mafia often DOES follow work weeks to some extent the following Monday( 25th) seems likely as Day 0). The GTA 3 website's last update is just a few days before release and mentions 8-Ball's arrest and planned transfer, which implies that game is set to start on it's release date of October 22nd 2001. An update a week prior also mentions they expect the tunnel to be open by early November after many delays, with implies the first act of the game takes place over the course of 2-3 weeks, and the finale with Catalina probably happens in the first half of December.

Anywhere USA

Done everything, 100% done. How do I backup the save before I move onto area 2?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Anywhere USA said:

Done everything, 100% done. How do I backup the save before I move onto area 2?

Go to C :\Program Files\GTA2\player and copy everything to a different folder.

Edited by jm-9

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Anywhere USA said:

Slightly off topic, but I found two interesting things while sweeping the old GTA 3 site for Zaibatsu info.

1. George W Bush is the president in the 3D Universe at the time. No fictional presidents here.

2. The timeline of several games is somewhat narrowed down(The last update on the LCS website, for instance, implies the game starts not too long after May 22nd 1998, as Ma Cipriani says her son is coming back soon from 'vacation', and considering it's a Friday and the Mafia often DOES follow work weeks to some extent the following Monday( 25th) seems likely as Day 0). The GTA 3 website's last update is just a few days before release and mentions 8-Ball's arrest and planned transfer, which implies that game is set to start on it's release date of October 22nd 2001. An update a week prior also mentions they expect the tunnel to be open by early November after many delays, with implies the first act of the game takes place over the course of 2-3 weeks, and the finale with Catalina probably happens in the first half of December.

Very interesting. I seem to remember seeing once that Donald Love was considering running for president but it wasn't where I thought it was (in the manual). If so that would be funny since he's based on Donald Trump. Alex Shrub in Vice City is an obvious reference to George Bush.

Huh, never knew the period of time was as short as that. Pretty cool that it starts the same day as its release. It's such a shame that the original websites are down. I know they didn't have any choice since they were based on Adobe Flash and all browsers dropped support for that at the end of 2020, but they were really unique. It also makes it impossible to legally acquire GTA: London 1961 unless you downloaded it before then.

You also have the first three bonus areas in GTA 2 unlocked, right?

Also, the token below in the Residential district (can't remember exactly where it is, I think somewhere north or north-east of your starting point) normally requires you to kill yourself with a molotov cocktail to get it, but you might have success with the method in the video (I couldn't do it). If you wait until late to get it and can't do this method you have to kill yourself and then have to build up your weapons again.

Edited by jm-9

Anywhere USA

Done Bonus Mission A and B.

Anywhere USA
Posted (edited)

Using a texture extractor, I took a good long look at the road signs. 

Both the interstates are located in New York, and all the other routes exist in New York(although those also exist elsewhere). Granted, I couldn't pinpoint an exact spot(The first interstate put it closer to Buffalo, the second put it in New York, the routes put it in the middle of the state despite the lack of water), but it's for 100% New York(or Liberty State, I guess....). Anywhere City is in Liberty State in the 2D Universe.

This means Anywhere City is either a dystopian future version of Liberty City in the 2D Universe(Which works with the future setting of 2013, fits the Hare Krishna having gone extreme, and fits the movies they were inspired by, Soylent Green was set in future NY. Oh and it fits GTA 3's map being based on some elements of the three districts being borrowed) OR a dystopian version of Buffalo New York(which fits it being in 1999 and having a different name, would imply it's on the lakes, and being in the Rust Belt it's pretty damn dystopian already)

Edited by Anywhere USA

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Anywhere USA said:

Using a texture extractor, I took a good long look at the road signs. 

Both the interstates are located in New York, and all the other routes exist in New York(although those also exist elsewhere). Granted, I couldn't pinpoint an exact spot(The first interstate put it closer to Buffalo, the second put it in New York, the routes put it in the middle of the state despite the lack of water), but it's for 100% New York(or Liberty State, I guess....). Anywhere City is in Liberty State in the 2D Universe.

This means Anywhere City is either a dystopian future version of Liberty City in the 2D Universe(Which works with the future setting of 2013, fits the Hare Krishna having gone extreme, and fits the movies they were inspired by, Soylent Green was set in future NY. Oh and it fits GTA 3's map being based on some elements of the three districts being borrowed) OR a dystopian version of Buffalo New York(which fits it being in 1999 and having a different name, would imply it's on the lakes, and being in the Rust Belt it's pretty damn dystopian already)

Good analysis. I never knew there was anything to suggest its location in the US. A future version of Liberty City would definitely help continuity in the 2D universe. The old website actually mentioned that the Hare Krishna are the same group from GTA 1 too. They were so sick of being run over (Gouranga!) that they formed their own gang.

One interesting thing I heard before is that GTA 2 was meant to be 3D, but they abandoned their plans to do so because the PS1 couldn’t handle it. Even as it is the PS1 version is a significant downgrade graphically, and an entire area is missing from the Industrial district.

Polls on this website have suggested that the Residential district is people’s favourite by the way.

Edited by jm-9

Anywhere USA

BTW, is Trey Welsh a reference to some industrial sh*t I’m not getting? I know what Red Valdez and Uno Carbine are referencing (Exxon Valdez and Union Carbide)

20 minutes ago, Anywhere USA said:

BTW, is Trey Welsh a reference to some industrial sh*t I’m not getting? I know what Red Valdez and Uno Carbine are referencing (Exxon Valdez and Union Carbide)

Not sure, really. Never knew about the other references either. Interesting.

Anywhere USA
1 hour ago, jm-9 said:

Trying to do all the Tokens in  Area 2, but literally the first one on the GTA Wiki list trips me up. How do I get on the roof? (North west RV park)

Posted (edited)

Not sure exactly which one you’re talking about. There are some that you have to use ramps to get to using a car. Others you have to drop down from above (like from a bridge) or drive off to land on a roof to get. There’s a guide here on GTAForums. that details which ones need ramps and how to get others.

There are also video guides on YouTube. I had to use both in conjunction with the official guide and an online map to get them all.

Edited by jm-9

Anywhere USA
1 minute ago, jm-9 said:

Not sure exactly which one you’re talking about. There are some that you have to use ramps to get to using a car. There’s a guide here on GTAForums. that details which ones need ramps and how to get others.

There are also video guides on YouTube. I had to use both in conjunction with the official guide and an online map to get them all.

Literally the first one on the wiki list, little blue roof.

1 hour ago, jm-9 said:

Exxon Valdez was a bad oil tanker spill and Union Carbide was the company that owned the chemical plant that caused the Bhopal Gas Tragedy. Hence I assume Trey Welsh is referencing something

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Anywhere USA said:

Literally the first one on the wiki list, little blue roof.

Exxon Valdez was a bad oil tanker spill and Union Carbide was the company that owned the chemical plant that caused the Bhopal Gas Tragedy. Hence I assume Trey Welsh is referencing something

For that one you have to drive off the bridge to the south and land on the roof, I think. I can’t completely remember though, just going off the picture really. The guide I linked would confirm what to do for each one.

Edited by jm-9

Posted (edited)

If you’re going after tokens there’s a Zaibatsu barrier blocking you from accessing the bridge to the north-west from one side. If you do the Redneck green phone mission Blow Job, this is removed.

Edited by jm-9

Anywhere USA

Any good archives of the old GTA 2 site? Curious